Reset Doesn’t Have Long Left To Make Lots Of Money

By John Walker on December 22nd, 2013 at 6:49 pm.

Reset blew us all away with its opening trailer. Heck, it blew me away with its opening screenshots. A single-player co-op where you time travel to interact with yourself, in inexplicably gorgeous graphics. That was all last year. Things went understandably quiet. And then the Finnish pair went to IndieGoGo to try to raise €65,000. Because I’m incapable of guessing the ways of mankind, this is the sort of project I’d be sure would ding its targets straight away, just because people would be interested to see such a beautiful-looking game with such a splendid premise get a chance. With 38 hours left, they’re still €22k short.

Further making me believe I should switch jobs and become a Kickstarter/fundraising consultant for an exorbitant percentage of the funds, it’s achingly obvious what they got wrong here. The opening video doesn’t explain the game at all. It’s meaningless. And right there they’ve lost so much money.

Then the first words you read are about some obscurity of Finnish law. Then something about a competition. Then an update. You’ve scrolled through two screens before you’ve got anything that explains the game. Argh! People! Come on!

See, there, at last, is a game I want to see realised. The sillybillies.

So, they’ve a day and a half to make an awful lot of money. I do rather hope they can get there, just to see what this game could eventually be.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. DarkFenix says:

Hmm, I basically forgot about this project entirely because the only crowd funding site I bother following is Kickstarter. The trailer did look interesting and atmospheric, but didn’t tell me anything about the game, so it wasn’t enough of a hook for me to go searching for it, let alone fund it.

• Luelf1955 says:

my buddy’s step-sister makes $74/hour on the internet. She has been laid off for five months but last month her payment was $20294 just working on the internet for a few hours. view website,,,,,

• christianwins says:

Yeah the idea sounded really cool when reading about it, but watching both of those videos was more like a trailer for a game engine than a game.

2. konondrum says:

My goodness, how did I miss this until now? Quick, somebody throw money at these people right now before it’s too late!. Where did I leave that 20 grand, was it in my other pants?

• AngoraFish says:

Even $27 for the most basic pledge tier is a little too much for me.

Also, puzzle game. Meh.

• Opilone says:

You get two copies for that price, so it makes it more reasonable People can back it with a friend. But if puzzle games aren’t your thang, then let it hang. (ouch)

• therea244 says:

Teresa`s st0ry is really great… on wednesday I bought a great new Bugatti Veyron from having made $7631 this – five weeks past. Without a doubt its the most financially rewarding I have ever had. I actually started three months/ago and right away started earning more than $76… per/hr. see page http://Buzz95.com

3. LionsPhil says:

Sad robots in rain, eh.

Very arty, but by god does that movement look sluggish and floaty. And it’s not like we haven’t played this puzzle game a half-dozen times before.

• DatonKallandor says:

Yeah the premise is good, and their art is good, but the gameplay looks incredibly bland. And it doesn’t help that the animations are simply terrible. The movement looks like you’re playing a ghostly camera wearing a robot-shaped cloth draped over it. There’s no impact, no weight to any of the interactions or movement.

• Opilone says:

You do realize this is really a work in progress? There still is a long way to go, and finetuning animations isn’t first in the list. These guys are ex-Futuremark employees, and I’m sure they know what they are doing. write “Futuremark” on youtube, and you’ll see.

• LionsPhil says:

Shattered Horizon was Futuremark-ites too, and it bombed if memory serves.

I’m sorry, but no. You want money, you have to compete with other people asking for money, and there are other people asking for money showing off better-looking gameplay.

• Opilone says:

Haven’t played Shattered Horizon, but I heard it got mixed reception (Metacritic72), and suffered from lack of players, as it’s multiplayer. No idea if these guys even worked with it, so I wouldn’t make any assumptions based on that. The Futuremark reference was to DatonKallandor, to show that I’m certain that these guys can animate. It’s just not wise to do that in this stage of developement.
            And of course, you put your money for what tingles your bells, but I tend to do these decisions based on more than just pretty videos. For me it’s the potential I see in projects. Rather than supporting project that shows nearly finished gamplay, and when ready you get just what you saw earlier, I support a interesting vision, that can give much more than you paid for, suprise you. (Off course I have to see that plan is realistic and it will complete)

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, but potential is where:

And it’s not like we haven’t played this puzzle game a half-dozen times before.

comes in. What is effectively moving a crate to act as a platform for yourself has been done. If there’s any novel twist, or even just solid puzzle design here, it’s not shown. Nothing here says “we can make this interesting”. There is no potential on display.

• Nintyuk says:

I enjoyed Shattered Horizon, they Kinda shot them selves in the foot by not having more than one gun at launch but the combat was intense and unique. I feel Strike suit zero will have similar game-play except for the powered down drift, That bit part was brilliant.

• Opilone says:

Saying that the choice of genre is the problem is not working. There are people who really thinks that “uh, another adventuregame, booring”, but that’s just shows a really pessimistic attitude, that all that comes, is gonna be just like all the other games in that genre. But if you really think about it, the puzzlegenre (or any other) is just a really vague term, only used because we need it to keep the communication somewhat organizised. Does it really tell anything about the game? It might, especially in big budget productions, but there is a realistic chance that it is really something totally different. Games won’t be the same forever, even if the genrenames persist.
            There isn’t anything mindblowing in the gameplay video,. Moving “crates” just as you said. But the thing from my perspective is, that it got my imagination running. The idea of planning your actions with the future in mind and then, in future, using those plans for your benefit has a endless potential. And with open world, I can guarantee it won’t be moving cars in a grey parkingspot. That is what I mean by potential. You can dissapoint, but I rather take the chance, than play a game that you Know will be like the others in that genre.

• LionsPhil says:

You’re not reading what I’m writing.

They are not showing any interesting new twist on it. If they have one, their crowdfunding pitch is absolutely where they need to grab people by the balls with it. Which they’re not doing.

• LionsPhil says:

(Fuck RPS’s spam filter. Seriously.)

You’re not reading what I’m writing.

This exact mechanic has been done to death. Not puzzle games in general. This puzzle game specifically. I’d have given you some links, but RPS’ spamfilter is making me $500/hour working from home for Google, so here’s the list of ones just off the top of my head:
            – Cursor*10
            – Prometheus, the UDK game
            – Time Donkey

• alms says:

Are you talking about traditional 2D point and click adventure games? because this isn’t one.

I’m really not sure how 6 times translates to “done to death”, but I’d be interested in that list, if you don’t mind putting it together.

• The Random One says:

LionsPhil’s got a point. When your core mechanic is exactly the same as a game about donkeys that was made essentially as a Unity tech demo, you need to work a little bit harder to show off you’ve got the design chops.

• Opilone says:

Alms, the “adventuregame” was just and example, how certain people react to games of spesific genre. I could have put any other genre there. But, yeah, I admit it makes the post little confusing

• DatonKallandor says:

Really? Because when I hear “from the developers of a benchmarking tool – comes this puzzle game with gameplay we’ve already seen several times” it’s not exactly hyping me up. Plus one of their big selling points is “but look how pretty our game is” – then turning around and saying “but this part that’s not actually pretty is just WIP!” doesn’t quite work.

• SillyWizard says:

Games that use the same mechanics as earlier games have been coming out since the dawn of gaming, and most likely will continue to come out until gaming’s dusk.

Much like novels that use the same archetypes, plot points, and any number of other techniques as preceding novels.

Y’don’t have to reinvent the wheel every time you make a new movie/game/book/finger-painting. The delivery is the important bit. A story told a thousand times can absolutely be worth retelling.

If you’re not interested in this game, that’s fine. But it’s a bit disingenuous to claim that it’s because “it’s been done before.” Not by these guys, it hasn’t. So, therefore, this hasn’t been done before at all.

4. mwoody says:

I know there are financial and legal reasons to run campaigns on indiegogo, but boy, do you shoot yourself in the foot the minute you make that call. They just don’t even have a fraction of the audience KS has. And the lack of a single “project updates” section, while seemingly a small difference from their mainstream cousin, is huge as a backer: I want a one-stop shop to see all updates to projects I’ve backed since I was last at the site.

• Wurstwaffel says:

You have to be a permanent resident of either the US, UK, Austraila, Canada or New-Zealand to create a Kickstarter campaign. Indiegogo works for other countries too.

• zeekthegeek says:

Or you know you could just know one. Heck, you could probably hire somebody to act as a go between, but it’s hardly necessary in this age They could probably have talked to some indie publisher or the other and gotten it sorted pretty easily.

I think more than anything their advertising just hasn’t been all that for the campaign, I didn’t really hear more than one or two brief mentions since they launched it. Projects can succeed on IndieGoGo but they need more buzz going in than this project managed to get.

golem09 says:

I was able to spot why this is failing in about 2 seconds, looking at the indiegogo page.
    20€ minimum entry.

It’s like they want it to fail.

• novevite says:

25€, for me, is off-putting. I wouldn’t pay that much money for a full-fledged game, not going to pay it for a (very, very) nice trailer and a possibly good/bad/non-existent game.

EDIT: I just noticed, reading the “Happy Holidays!” campaign update that they actually give you 1 additional digital copy of the game with most tiers.

6. almostDead says:

I’ve seen things……, things you people wouldn’t believe……

• Unclepauly says:

All those… moments… will be lost in time…

Don Reba says:

You hear that, Mr. Anderson? This is the sound of inevitability. This is the sound of your death.

Wait…

• Pointy says:

…. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I’ve watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

• iucounu says:

I’ve eaten things you people wouldn’t believe. Nacho chips on fire off the shoulder of a lion. I’ve scoffed sea breams & pitta in the park with a pan-soused skate. All these morsels will be lost in time, like beers and chow mein. Time to diet.

• Voxel_Music_Man says:

Best comment ever

• Chinacula says:

I break my years-long silence to declare the above comment the winner of all comments. Brilliant!

7. Armante says:

The trailers were beautiful, but the game looks boring and bland. I don’t know what we were expecting but this game isn’t it. Also, bad campaign on indiegogo. Too bad, and good luck to them

• Opilone says:

Yeah, the testing area does look bland, but it’s just a testing area!bThe game itself will be openworld happening on a island. quote:
      “Story takes place on a fictional volcanic island in the Galápagos. You will be free to roam the mysterious 16 square km game world in which individual puzzles can be discovered and solved in any order.”

I agree that some of the juiciest information is hidden in their Gogo page. These things need to blast in your face immediatly when you open the page. But I don’t understand the comments, that a bad Indiegogo site has anything to do with the quality of the game.

8. Firkragg says:

But…! I don’t HAVE any more money!

• MadTinkerer says:

This. I’ve been rather annoyed the last couple months: games that I wanted to Kickstart are finished and on Steam! Dozens of them, and I can’t even afford to get them right now! Or early-access-thingies! Or more new Kickstarters!

I mean: I have bought a few, but only a few. Far fewer than what I would have spent this time last year. I do hope to be in better financial situation next year though.

I did manage to Kickstart Broken Age, FTL, Divinity OS, Torment ToN, Wasteland 2, Hat In Time, Shadowrun, and Pillars of Eternity as well as lesser known things like Sealark, Adventurezator, Valdis Story, Chuck’s Challenge, Jetpack 2, and Crystal Catacombs. But I want to fund more, gosh darn it! There have been a couple flops and the odd severe controversy (read those rules carefully, folks, Kickstarter does enforce those rules), but by far I’ve had a positive experience with most of them!

I need to win the lottery…

9. Nintyuk says:

My main issue is that £20 is too much for me to spend supporting something without a more firm timescale on when I’ll get a return on that money. Especially with the draw up too Xmas. Heck I’m not even spending anything in the steam winter sale and that gets me stuff right now.

• rustybroomhandle says:

Crowdfunding is not about getting a return on your “investment”. It’s not investing. It’s about you volunteering your money so that a project creator can get on with creating the thing they are pitching.

• AngoraFish says:

Actually, crowd funding is an advance preorder system for a defined, saleable product. It is not and never has been a donation. All tiers other than pocket change are priced for a product that you pay for, in the vast majority of cases at a discount to the final-release price. You are entitled to a refund if the developer doesn’t deliver, and entitled to rage if the devs blow your cash on beer and skittles (or take legal action against the devs, if you prefer). The terms and conditions of Kickstarter and other sites are absolutely clear that crowdfunding is neither patronage nor charity. I’d include some links to the many terms and conditions on the various sites that state this, but I’ve done this in the past and they’re inevitably ignored as inconvenient truths…

• rustybroomhandle says:

You’re talking about Kickstarter specifically, and more specifically their policy towards fulfillment of rewards. Rewards are an incentive to back. Nothing prevents you from throwing $10 at a project and not selecting any reward in return. Indiegogo’s rules are a bit more loose as to what a project should offer/ask for.

I made the same mistake in my comment as what you are making now – generalising “crowdfunding is”.

• The Random One says:

Crowdfunding definitively is investing. Usual investors give money to stuff because they want more money. Crowd funders give money to stuff because they want the stuff, or (in the case you brought up of not selecting any reward) because they want the stuff to exist.

• Opilone says:

Nintyuk, every contributor will get second (digital) copy for free, so that actually makes the price decent. And that’s one christmas gift more to give, if the campaign succeeded. (although, you probaply have to give just a paper saying that youll get a game, when it’s ready ;)

Don Reba says:

I don’t think it is a good idea to make Braid with fancy first-person 3D graphics and a $35 minimum pledge.

11. The Random One says:

Bah. Astrobase Commander didn’t make it, so I don’t care about anything else. Screw you world! *locks bedroom door, plays Offspring at maximum volume*

• jonahcutter says:

Yeah I was bummed by the that one too.

They’re continuing development. But they’re very up front about how without a successful Kickstarter the development will be much slower.

12. Lemming says:

The art and subtlety present in the trailer lends itself more to making a decent short film rather than a game, I think. The compelling part of the concept was the poignant portrayal of the robot, rather than anything to do with the time-travelling and platforming shown in the gameplay video.

• KirbyEvan says:

I guess games can’t have “art and subtlety”.

I personally would rather experience this first hand with interactivity than have to watch it, but perhaps that’s just me.

I think wandering around abandoned cities is much more enjoyable in video game form.

P7uen says:

He didn’t say games can’t have them, he means is that this game play trailer makes it look like this particular game doesn’t. He was sliding around grabbing a bus so he could go to a platform with no steps, not being sad about how robot cigarettes killed his father.

In summary: everyone agrees with each other, merry Christmas!

13. virtualmatrix258 says:

So many indie developers that need an indie PR firm working for them for a small percentage. Seriously, they’re all over the place.

• iucounu says:

I don’t know much about PR except what I see in the book trade, but I doubt that would be viable. Too risky to work on percentage.

14. Thrippy says:

Assume that is the sun and not the moon at high noon, yet it is twilight. The robots are activating geothermal power generators but, oddly, in the middle of a city. Forward to the present. The sun has returned. The city is overgrown with decades of plant growth. In both past and present, there are no people, anywhere. RESET is a world without us. Only a lone robot/cyborg remains to save humanity by changing the past. Just because this (entirely plausible excepting the time travel stuff) apocalyptic scenario has never been told in a computer game before, I’d be very forgiving about execution. Hope they get the money to finish this innovative story The graphics are nice too but wouldn’t be the primary selling point for many science fiction fans.

15. zaphos says:

I wish they’d have shown more gameplay in the videos, to at least demonstrate that they have some puzzle design chops. As it is the only gameplay seems to be the one kind of trivial example in the tutorial video?

It’s okay that the mechanic is not original, but in that case it’s even more important to show you know how to do interesting things with it …

16. Shaun239 says:

I imagine the issue here is that they are using indiegogo which is the go to place for flexible funding and charity scammers who take advantage of horrific events.

I remember there being a number of flexible funding projects going up the day of the Sandy Hook shooting – all getting some money and most of them being set up by people just looking to make a quick profit at other’s expense.

17. Megakoresh says:

I think they needed to pick a different time for this campaign. November-December is obviously the worst time to do kickstarters, since this is the time when people spend their money on actually new games. Add to that the new console launch that many people have bought and well, it’s a pretty stupid time to do crowdfunding.

18. bill says:

They needed to show some decent puzzle/world design/gameplay.

I agree with what others have said. The gameplay example they gave was dull, obvious and something we’ve done many times before. There are dozens of games that do this “help yourself with clones/time” mechanic, and their only real unique point is doing it from a 1st person perspective.. though i’m sure there are several games that have done that too.

Their CGi trailer looked lovely, but was mostly irrelevant.

So they needed to show some creative / original puzzles using their core mechanic. And they showed moving a crate to allow you to jump between platforms. ????

19. Incision says:

Part of the problem here is that they need a good writer. Games aren’t sold on mechanics or graphics, they’re sold on a premise. People are suckers for stories, heck even Portal – which is the game genre in which this artefact swims – had some heavy duty writing behind it.

The first trailer appealed because of the beauty of the world and the potential story it opened up. They need a premise, a story, a background with which to populate this world and a reason to impel the player into action.

The player is a protagonist – that protagonist needs a reason.

20. Metalhead9806 says:

18 hours left and 9k away. I really hope those guys make it the game looks nice.

• Sucram says:

Looks like they’ve made it with 13 hours to spare.

• KevinLew says:

I sure hope that this project has confirmed payment on all of the bids. Because it ran for almost six weeks and only had 70% of the goal met. Then on the last day, the project raises one-third of its total funding in a matter of hours.

• Thrippy says:

Looks like the Polygon article (41K likes) and RPS (112K likes), of course, kicked contributions into high gear yesterday. 500 per half an hour, then 1000 (per RESET tweet)

21. Nevard says:

I’d have gladly given it money if it had blown me away, but what I saw was a very fancy video of floaty robots with no physics feedback performing trivial crate shuffling tasks.
    It was all graphics and no anything else.

22. Moraven says:

And all the sob story gaming articles on this got the push it needed. I see games that give more detail and potential not make it but the press could care less, since it did not have some awesome amazing robot trailer.

23. WaRxXxPiG says:

I DIDNT EVEN KNOW IT WAS SEEKING FUNDING! That’s a problem right there…. But it seems to have met its goal. Will definitely buy when it comes out.

24. barney says:

Amazing! Was alerted by this article, utterly besotted by the cinematic trailer, pleasantly engaged by the gameplay demo trailer, and then excitedly panicked by the short deadline and 6K to go. So I put in €35 and was exhilarated to receive the success notification within the hour.

Thanks for drawing me into this experience, John. But it’s an odd thing to have this advertised here. As you make abundantly clear in the article, you’re following up on strong prior RPS coverage, and you yourself bemoan their incredibly lackluster marketing on the pitch. Despite this, despite feeling glad I participated in the developers’ success, I feel a bit like a child that was drawn into a situation I don’t quite understand. The marketing value of an earnest entreaty by RPS with a ticking clock and the onus on my money spending near Christmas is a very, very powerful thing.

A friend of mine quit his job to put it all into a Kickstarter with a very tense pitch duration the same month RPS stopped running Kickstarter Ketchup, which was aggrieving. Bad luck for him (but he made it at the last minute too, without much coverage). The games aren’t comparable, their relative situations probably aren’t comparable. Maybe everybody at RPS would have hated his pitch. But God, isn’t it stressful, this huge exponential crowd-funding promotion stuff? Some whimpering part of me (the part that’s thinking about bills in the new year) harks back to the days before Greenlight, Kickstarter and IndieGogo, when we could all impotently rant about colossal publishers without all the variables of consumer and press responsibility we now have to accept. Oof.

25. JacquelineSDias says:

my classmate’s mother-in-law makes $71/hour on the internet. She has been fired for eight months but last month her check was $12192 just working on the internet for a few hours
    check out the post right here,,,,,,http://www.Jobs59.com

26. JacquelineSDias says:

check out the post right here,,,,,, http://www.Jobs59.com

27. LaKriz says:

I’m glad they finally reached their goal on Indiegogo. Guess a tip to the hat into the general direction of RPS is in order.

28. gshauger says:

So let me get this straight. You can travel through time and lift insanely heavy objects but you can’t jump or climb. OK….that makes sense.

Kidding!

This looks awesome!

29. blie777 says:

my Aunty Olivia recently got a 9 month old Fiat 500 Abarth by part-time working online from home. find out here http://Buzz95.com

30. fenriz says:

i can’t believe we’re not yet sick of time-travel tricks. Every other media quickly got rid of it, we stick to it like the media clowns that we are.

Everyone knows time travel is the resort of the unskilled writer, in our case the gameplay conceiver.

You know, Artistotle praised the unity of time and place in the scene… it was goddamn Aristotle, he had a point, it’s goddamn Aristotle.

31. bob tempest says:

GOODMORNIG and GOOD NEW YEAR 2014.
    I dont know problems,
    but I were a player of BATTLEZONE 2. BEST GAME.
    I was a passionate player BATTLEZONE2. GREAT GAME.
    I’m ready to do something to revive it.
    Today I play BATTLEFIELD4 but I like BATTLEZONE2
    and I’d play with a revived Battlezone 2 !!!!
    WE CAN DO IT.
    BOB TEMPEST 1949

32. Allenomura says:

It seems they passed the target by 6k in the end. Congratulations to them!