Play Five Games On The HTC Vive At EGX Rezzed 2016

I was pretty certain after I first tried it that I’d be first in line to buy an HTC Vive. Then I saw the price. It’s not higher than I expected, it’s just that the money means more to me now than it did early last year. If you’re similarly hesitant or dead-set against, you might want to try out the Vive first to see how it feels.

Good news! You can do so at this year’s EGX Rezzed in April.

The Vive will be at Rezzed with five games. From the release:

Arizona Sunshine is a post-apocalyptic FPS built and optimised for room-scale virtual reality. Players must bash, slash and explode their way through hordes of zombies close enough to touch.

Fantastic Contraption has been designed from the ground up for room-scale VR. Players can walk around a beautifully realised grassy island in the sky, building huge machines with their own hands and watching them come to life.

Tilt Brush lets players paint in 3D space with virtual reality. Your room is your canvas. Your palette is your imagination. The possibilities are endless.

Job Simulator already has numerous award nominations to its name and was described by Rock, Paper, Shotgun’s Graham Smith as “the best game I played” [on Vive]. In a world where robots have replaced all human jobs, Job Simulator teaches players what it was like ‘to job’.

TheBluVR is an immersive underwater shipwreck experience. Experience the awe, wonder, and majesty of the ocean through numerous encounters including coming face-to-face with an 80-foot blue whale.

Tilt Brush, Job Simulator, and TheBluVR were all excellent when I played them at GDC 2015 last March. TheBluVR, in particular, is a pretty compelling demonstration of the power of virtual reality, delivered in the space of about three or four minutes. It made me want to cry.

Wherever I’ve seen virtual reality headsets at other conferences, there’s always been huge lines. As a result, Rezzed has a booking system for attendees who want to try out the Vive, which you can enter by visiting the NVIDIA and HTC Booth on the day.

EGX Rezzed 2016 takes place at Tobacco Dock in London on the Thursday 7th to Saturday 9th of April and tickets are available to purchase now from now. We’re going to be there, with our own room of games, plus developer sessions and an evening mixer where you can rub shoulders with famous RPS writers.

1. Ross Angus says:

Congratulations on the baby, Graham! (this was why money means more to you now, right?)

• caff says:

Hath it cometh? Congratulations!

heretic says:

My bro and cousin both had another kid last week, it’s like baby week!

Graham Smith says:

Thanks! It has not cometh yet, but soon. And Daddy needs that Vive money for food.

• Pandemic says:

+1 for this.. I’m finding babies literally eat game time/money… I’m sure it’ll all change once they get a little older (“he said in a hopeful plea”).

Herring says:

I found my first baby slept better on someone. So for the early morning shift (5AM) I used to take her out of the bedroom after a feed, put her on my chest and lean back in my chair. She’d go 3+ hrs there so I got some quiet game-time + cuddle, daughter got a warm place to kip and mum got 3+ hrs uninterrupted.

Everyone was happy :D

2. SpinalJack says:

You can follow a lot of game development on the Steam Hardware Forum.

Here’s mine:
    link to steamcommunity.com

3. caff says:

I’d love to see this, only I don’t have the patience to stand in a huge queue of people. I don’t go to many gaming expos, but I remember one in Earls Court where I saw a queue of 200+ people waiting to sign up to On Live. Yep, worth it.

4. racccoon says:

This has to be the stupidest thing mankind has come up with. I can’t wait for trickle fallout as it flows, I feel for the people who use it, I hope you can cope with the end results, as they seem to believe in its helping gaming, amazing, when its really just going make it more of a self destruction, self infliction, mainly for the gamer and then lastly for the game developer.
    Its a sorry time in gaming history to see people enclosing themselves far more than they should be, even though they already are but in this reality of gaming as it is today they can still see around themselves, instead of now using VR & being locked into a box unable see themselves normally. Sad, very sad times.

• Mctittles says:

Kids these days huh? Back in my day….

Harlander says:

Even when I don’t like a comedy routine, I always feel compelled to applaud when someone’s really dedicated to a bit.

• clonitza says:

Now go back to your cave, it’s getting dark outside :D

• Marr says:

I’ve come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:

Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.

Anything that’s invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.

Anything invented after you’re thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

– Douglas Adams

5. Unsheep says:

Visually these five games looked really good, and also show you the range of games VR could work particularly well with. Although I did expect to see a racing game adaptation, but I’m probably biased here.

It seems you have to walk around for some of these games, which is a concern if you don’t have the space at home.

Apart from racing games, its stuff like TheBluVR that I personally think would be really cool to use with VR. I think VR could be fantastic with all types of open-world exploration games, like Proteus and Dear Esther, as well as puzzle games like the Witness and MIND Path To Thalamus, perhaps even survival games like the Forrest and Stranded Deep.

However, even travelogue “games” would be fun, where you visit and explore places you could never go to in real life. Like the deep seas, the Antarctic, the deserts of Australia…heck why stop on Earth, you could simulate being an astronaut working on a space station, or why not a Mars colonizer.

Playing FPS and action games with VR feels like wasted potential to me, instead its the explorative stuff that makes the most use of this technology.

6. Axess Denyd says:

Preordering the Rift was about the last thing I spent money on before my baby came.

Now I just have to decide whether to order the Vive and cancel the Rift.

Walking would be cool, but the Rift’s Touch controllers look better (though they will take longer to happen and be n additional expense). The Rift looks like it might have a more solid game library. It’s very hard to choose at this time, and I only have four and a half days to decide!

The Almighty Moo says:

Hoping to strike lucky and get to play with one for a few minutes on Saturday, but I’m expecting it to be huge queueues and have see nothing about pre registering so we will see.
    Gold luck to the father to be too.