Ori & The Blind Forest: Definitive Edition Out Wednesday

Although first scheduled to release alongside its console counterpart last month, Microsoft have now confirmed the gorgeous 2D platformer Ori and the Blind Forest [official site] will launch its Definitive Edition on PC next week. In fact it’s so gorgeous that I think we should take a look at its latest trailer before we get onto what the Definitive Edition entails, don’t you agree?

Good answer! Let’s have a gander:

Lovely. Plenty to reminisce over, however the new version also promises to equip Ori with new skills by way of a dash ability and a projectile-type Light Burst, which you might’ve caught around the 1:06 mark up there. A new area in Black Root Burrows awaits exploring, and new story material offers players insights into mother character Naru’s background. The game’s theatre mode is also set to expand, adding new concept art, cut scenes and trailers, should that sort of thing float your boat. Oh, and it adds cross-platform saves between Xbox One and Windows 10 versions, which I’m sure you’re all dying to use.

If you’d like to read more about what Ori and the Blind Forest is all about, let me direct you to Pip’s Wot I Think. There, she praises its “lovely music” and “gorgeous artwork”, and writes about how some of the game’s trickier puzzles induced a “torrent of swearwords”, while some its story brought a lump to her throat.

Here’s developers Moon Studios on how Ori’s Definitive Edition came to be:

“Immediately after the release of Ori and the Blind Forest, we heard cries from fans asking for even more content. Instead of ‘just’ releasing DLC, we decided to craft an entirely new package that includes both the new content as well as features that fans have asked us to add to the original game. We spent almost an entire year on this new release of Ori and the Blind Forest and hope that we have now delivered the ultimate ‘Ori experience’ for all of our fans out there!”

Ori and the Blind Forest’s Definitive Edition is due for release on Wednesday, April 27th, costing $19.99 on Steam and Windows 10. If you already own the original version of the game, upgrading will set you back $4.99.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. ran93r says:

I only have five hours logged against the original but I’m excited for the upgrade, possible one of the most nicely crafted platformers for me in some time.

2. d3vilsadvocate says:

This game is probably the reason why I’m still playing videogames.

Every year or two something like this comes along that i just want to play from start to finish. Due to time constraints and a personal overdose of games/gaming, most games don’t do that to me anymore.

• surreal_pistachio says:

It’s exactly the same for me!

• Flopdong says:

Have they fixed the serious technical issues with the game? I really wanted to like this game, but frequent crashes and corrupted save-files have made it impossible for me to make significant progress in the game. I thought maybe the game didn’t agree with my PC for some reason (despite vastly exceeding the recommended requirements), so I bought it on Xbox1 only to encounter the exact same issues on the console version. How anyone managed to beat this game is beyond me

3. Kinsky says:

Personally I found this game utterly insufferable. It’s really up its own ass with the furiously self-serious yet horribly generic epic storybook aesthetic, and constantly beats you over the head with its “meaningful” narrative about Deku Trees and dead Studio Ghibli forest creatures. Game play was decent but holy shit that presentation killed it for me.

• Halk says:

Yes, the story is completely ridiculous of course, but the graphics and music are beautiful and the gameplay becomes rather hardcore later. Extremely fun game.

4. mavrik says:

Hmm, Ori is one of very few games I couldn’t finish because it was too hard and frustrating. It required way too much jumping precision and instead of being a simple relaxing game (as visuals and audio imply), it was just annoying :/

• Pan Puszek says:

Well, that game surely isn’t the easiest, but it’s beautiful in every aspect. Give this game one more chance, it isn’t that hard. I’m sure you won’t regret it. It’s not Dark Souls after all :)

I’ll probably buy the Definitive Edition since I got the original game. $5 it’s quite ok, but I’ll think I’ll wait for some reviews.

• DanMan says:

You should try Unravel. Also looks gorgeous, but isn’t hard. No Indi street-cred bollocks and whatnot.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Give Rayman Origins/Legends a try if you’ve never played them.

• draglikepull says:

Good games, lots of fun to play co-op, but they also get very hard towards the end.

• Murdock says:

Sure is hard. Specialy that part, when you have to escape the flooding. But.. oh boy! When you finally scape it and get out alive, the feeling of satisfaction is incredible!! You should try a little more! ;)

5. Kipex says:

Haven’t really played many platformers since the NES/SNES days, but Ori came from nowhere and instantly won me over. Looks amazing, plays great and has the best soundtrack of last year. For me it hit the perfect balance of hard but not too hard. It also played great on keyboard and mouse. If not for Witcher, this would have been my GOTY of 2015. Definitely checking this out on Wednesday.

Ninja Dodo says:

Magical game. Only thing I didn’t care for were the somewhat infuriating no-save-point escape sections. They’re pretty spectacular but just slightly on the wrong side of unfair. Otherwise one of my favourite platformers in years. I wonder if the new stuff can be played without starting a new game as I’m not in a hurry to replay the whole thing.

7. Assirra says:

Completely perfect to use the Escape from the Water Temple music heh.
    Probably the song that people remember the most.

8. gwathdring says:

I enjoyed it well enough but quit during the crow “boss” encounter. The escape sequences were quite tedious and that was the worst of them. I didn’t see much point in pushing through something that wasn’t fun just to get to the ending since I’d already played almost all of the game. Rinse and repeat one-take platforming segments aren’t my thing, especially not when the camera takes on a life of it’s own and the game decides to be unusually arbitrary all of a sudden.

• draglikepull says:

Yeah, the escape sequence “boss fights” are awful. I enjoyed it apart from those, though.

• Assirra says:

Honestly enjoyed those escape sequences the most. I like myself a good escape sequence and those were probably one of the best with the music, pressure of the water/lava/wind/whatever and amazing looking art style.

Ninja Dodo says:

They’re great if you don’t die 500 times, especially if half those times rely on enemies doing the same thing each time and them not doing that instead. I think the one with the water rising is one of my least favourites because of that, though the ending with its insta-kills and zero chance to recover from errors took the cake. Kind of a shame because it gave the final moments of the game sort of an angry undertone of “yeah, I beat you” which clashed a bit with what seemed the intended tone. Still, great game overall.

• AirRaid says:

To be fair, the enemies are deterministic and what they do is generally based on where you are, so if you approach them the same way they will generally do the same thing. Watch some speedruns to see how they manipulate the crap out of various enemies.

• Flopdong says:

Yeah I hated the water sequence, it was really frustrating to die repeatedly because enemies wouldn’t bother to attack you and you HAD to counter their attacks in order to progress. The icing on the cake? When I finally beat the segment after about 50 attempts, the game immediately crashed and corrupted my save-file, forcing me to start over. I don’t think I have ever wanted to smash my controller more than I did at that moment

9. Laurentius says:

I love this game, since december I played this game two times and I’m finishing my thrid playthrough. This game is right up my ally. I didn’t care for a story at all, but graphics, music and espcially gameplay ar fantastic. It’s also one of rare platformers of recent times that is comfortabl playable on keyboard, yey!

10. melnificent says:

Yay UWP, said no-one ever.
    Luckily the accessible and editable edition is available on steam.

11. Jovian09 says:

One of my favourite games of 2015. I love games that are beautiful because of art design rather than processing power. And in a declining era for platformers, this one was very welcome.

12. Enkinan says:

This game really caught me by surprise. I really enjoyed it, and wanted more after it was done. The learning curve was constant and never too easy or hard.

Not sure how much extra is included, but I don’t mind an extra 5 bucks going to these guys.

13. Ashtalon says:

It’s 9:00pm on Wednesday the 27th of April 2016 in Australia and I don’t see Ori definitive edition anywhere on Steam. This sucks. Australians always have to wait for the day AFTER release to get their games.