Have You Played… Deus Ex: Human Revolution?

Human Revolution has myriad faults, but they hardly matter to me. Square Enix Montreal’s first crack at replicating Deus Ex is a perfect example of how the right creative decisions can make up for any number of constraints.

The clearest example is in the game’s first ‘hub’ area, Detroit, which functions as ground zero for both the creation of augmentations and the social economic tensions that arise from their use and misuse. Except the engine and budget wouldn’t stretch to a city as we’ve seen them today in open world games, and so you’re time is mostly spent wandering a few backalleys, talking to a few loitering NPCs, and looking at the dropped leaflets on the ground which represent a riot that happened before you arrived.

This does not matter at all. In fact, Detroit contains everything I like about Deus Ex. The city isn’t large or bustling, but it’s layered. Depending on your chosen upgrades and playstyle, you can traverse its terrain from the street or the rooftops, enter every building from multiple angles, and each new approach is rewarded with story and character and detail.

Deus Ex has a reputation for offering you meaningful choices, but there are all kinds of ways in which, again, Human Revolution feels hamstrung. There are options available to you that do not feel well rewarded – rescuing Malik, for example – and the ending is still determined by a multiple choice question. Yet again, despite dreaming of how this might be better, I do not mind. Human Revolution offers me choices in how I play, gives me enough options to feel as if I can inhabit Jensen as a character as well as a pair of fist-chisels and faceshades, and does so consistently across plot and side missions alike.

It’s in doing a lot with a relative little that Human Revolution best mimics the success of the original game. Robot-fingers crossed that Mankind Divided does the same, expanded budget and scope or not.

From this site

1. EyalLan says:

Actually, I have, just about a week ago! It’s been fantastic. It had it’s fair share of problems (damn you, bosses), but boy, it’s been a hell of a ride. I think Eidos did an great job bringing Deus Ex to modern times.

Mungrul says:

Here’s hoping they’ve realised bosses are a bad idea full stop instead of doubling down and thinking “People didn’t like bosses in our first game, so we obviously need to try harder!”

Qazinsky says:

Am I the only one that actually like bosses in games? One big something or other that’s usually tougher than the player character to overcome.

For that matter, another common complain is that you can’t talk with the bosses or sneak past them. I agree that these should be options, but to demand that they should be options on every boss seems weird too, like the bosses aren’t real characters with their own motivations and personalities. That they cannot have their conviction that prevents them from seeing things from your side or the brains to plant themselves in a bottleneck to prevent that sneaky bastard that has ghosted everyone else to get past and ruin the plans.

• EyalLan says:

Well, I understand most of you probably think otherwise, but generally speaking, real challenge is one thing I’m really not looking for when I play games. In regards to HR, I think what you said was pretty much spot on. What I didn’t like was having to fight the bosses head-on, even though I spent most of my time sneaking around. I think what Torment did, for example, was an exemplary way of introducing bosses in games.

• Horg says:

It’s not the fact that DE:HR had ”bosses” that people were upset about, it’s the way they were implemented. All of the boss content was outsourced and did not fit the standard the rest of the game set.

Firstly, you had to use lethal force. Secondly, the arenas the bosses were presented in felt extremely artificial, completely out of place with the rest of the world design. Thirdly, the bosses were poorly developed through out the game. As your 3 most dangerous antagonists, they were little more than snarling predators who quipped a few cheesy lines of dialogue. Finally, the fights themselves weren’t particularly fun. EMP, head shot, avoid predictable attack pattern, repeat until dead. They were bullet spongy morons masquerading as elite soldiers. That was why people hated them.

Qazinsky says:

The reason that I commented was more due to the sentence: “Here’s hoping they’ve realised bosses are a bad idea full stop…”

While alot of the people complaining about bosses in Deus Ex HR do so for the reasons you stated, there seems to be another quite vocal group that states that bosses shouldn’t be in at all.

Mungrul says:

Eh, I meant in the context of Deus Ex:HR. I love well executed bosses, but the bosses in Deus Ex:HR just don’t fit in that game, even in the Director’s Cut. They weren’t hard, didn’t give me a moment’s pause, but were completely and utterly out of place, especially in the first incarnation if you’d invested everything in to stealth and a non-lethal approach.
            They were completely tone-deaf, something reinforced by the fact that they were out-sourced, which in itself strikes me as weird and probably unique.

• Solidstate89 says:

I’ve never heard anyone complain about the existence of bosses in DX:HR. They were in the first Deus Ex as well.

The problem was that you could only beat them by killing them. Something they promised to solve this go around as they didn’t outsource the boss fights to a third party.

alison says:

Then let me be the first person you hear complain about the existence of bosses in Human Revolution. Bosses are an outdated conceit that have no place in “immersive sims”.

Whether you are playing non-lethal or not, it is ridiculous to be presented with a bad guy that can literally take 5 HE grenades exploding in his face and keep on coming. I don’t care if he’s wearing the ultimate exoskeleton of awesomeness, it’s just silly. If you shoot a human being, square in the forehead, with a sniper rifle, even if it is the fluke bullet that doesn’t take half his skull off and leave his brain leaking all over the floor, at the very least he should say “ouch”. And the second bullet should definitely end it.

The bosses in Deus Ex 1 were annoying too, because boss encounters are stupid, period, but at least hitting them with a GEP gun would end it immediately. Because, you know, just like you, they are human beings whose bodies will be torn apart by a high explosive device. Bosses who are God-like just kill the immersion completely.

2. comic knight says:

I think they learned their lesson with the boss fihhts since they made the director cut fixing that.

• zarniwoop says:

If they’d learnt their lesson they wouldnt have tried to make people extra for non shitty boss fights.

I ended up god moding my way through them. More out of resentment than anything else.

3. aoanla says:

Yeah, I had niggles with bits of Deus Ex:HR (plotwise, the fact that Adam falls for a really obvious trick at least once, just so that plot can happen; lore-wise, the fact that Mechanical Augmentations are a heck of a lot better than you’re led to expect from the original Deus Ex; and game-wise, that there really wasn’t enough energy (or at least, your energy-bar wouldn’t regenerate naturally high enough) to really encourage you to fully enjoy the cyborg upgrades you get [the bosses obviously are also annoying, but that’s a given by now in comments on DX:HR]).
    On the whole, though, I actually think I enjoyed it more as a game than I did the original Deus Ex – it’s better focussed, and far better acted and written dialogue wise, and the combat actually works pretty well, even if you’re going stealth or nonlethal. And, sure, the focus is part of the reason why there’s less choice or dynamically emerging scenarios than in the original – but I think it’s worth the improvements in other areas, for the most part.

Oakreef says:

Some people like to explain the really obvious trick as Zhao having a CASIE aug (trivia: Sarif’s secretary Athene has one)

• aoanla says:

Sure, but Adam has a CASIE too (I guess if you never spent the Praxis to unlock it, it might make sense that you’d be duped by someone else with one…)

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Better written and acted? What!? Nothing beats the legendary delivery of JC Denton

• Crimsoneer says:

A BOMB?

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

I was actually surprised to hear in a video from some of the DX project leads playing the game (well worth a watch, here: link to youtube.com ) that JC’s voice actor is apparently quite good but they gave him specific direction to show almost no emotion, and that they regret that decision.

4. mouton says:

I did and while I found many of its aspects compelling, it also struck me as a bit of a mess, both gameplay and story-wise. And I don’t even mean the bosses – it’ s just that stealth and hacking felt rather shallow and token, with every place having a mandatory detour duct while plenty of hacking spots had the passcode written on a piece of paper on the floor nearby. The stealth and combat did not gel together well, with you getting lots of fun murder toys and unable to use them if you wanted to be sneaky.

Story-wise, there were some compelling sections (Missing Link made me rather angry at the Illuminati, for example), but the whole story felt, I don’t know, disjointed. Maybe it is just me.

• kud13 says:

Frankly, I felt HR’s story was garbage.

In terms of gameplay design, i’m totally okay with passwords lying around- it gives you an alternative to pouring so much Praxis into hacking. Of course, the fact that experience system is broken so as to encourage hacking makes this less valuable and viable, but it’s good that the option is there.

Re: air ducts: well, that’s vintage Deus Ex. EM’s biggest problem (one that’s been pointed out to them by fans, but one which they chose to pursue, since THAT was their vision of DX) is the “pillars” approach- i.e, they focused on making combat, stealth/hacking and social gameplay “discrete”- instead of buiding their levels as a cohesive simulation where there’s various possible tools that can be used, they basically mapped out “the stealth route”, “the hacker’s route”, “the combat route”.

It doesn’t ruin the game. But it’s a step back in complexity as opposed to original DX, even if individual elements (hacking, gunplay, convo battles) are more polished

• mouton says:

I played the original Deus Ex and I know there were lots of ducts. Not saying it was better, because it was long ago and I can’t be sure I am not speaking nostalgia.

Buuut it is what you called as the “pillars” approach. Every level has an obvious duct highway and it feels like an attached module, not part of the level.

• kud13 says:

I didn’t call it that. Credit goes to someone @ EM (David Anfossi, I think, or possibl, Jean-Francois Dugas). It’s something I (and other regulars on old official DX3 forum) spoke out against. But, as I’ve said, this was EM’s deliberate design decision. Combines with the Exp system weighted towards power-gaming via hack & knockouts, this kinda made the game feel a bunch of segregated components, rather than one “fluid” experience.

But that’s their choice, and consumers liked it. I can only hope that seeing success of HR they’ll take more rather than less risks with the sequel.

• Diatribe says:

As anyone who has worked in an office whose computer system makes you change your password frequently can attest, it is completely realistic to have passwords written down and stored within 2 feet of the computer they belong to.

Obviously it’s not secure, but if you’ve got several passwords to track, and you’re forced to change them every couple months, you’re going to write them down.

• mouton says:

Is true, but many of those places are of military or clandestine nature. Password to your office workstation is one thing, password that controls the murderbots or releases a deadly virus ought to be hidden slightly better.

• thedosbox says:

If there’s one thing I want to get right, it’s the password that controls the murderbots. No faffing about retrying the password in an emergency thank you.

5. kud13 says:

Director’s Cut fixed most problems the game had at the offset (bosses, pre-order DLC weapons, integrating the Missing Link DLC missions into the game).

I actually didn’t mind the multiple choice ending, since it seemed very much an homage to Invisible War’s decision of “where to upload data” before going off and murdering the opposing faction’s leaders. The zombies almost felt like tribute to System Shock 2.

There’s a few things HR did really well- I liked the hacking, the conversation battles, the gunplay felt much better than in the previous titles. The 3rd person and lack of melee/cinematic takedowns were a step back. The fiddly physics model and invisible wars were annoying, but not game-breaking.

I really, really loved the second hub. In particular, Yuzhao district, or, as I prefer to call it, “The rooftop district”. You couldn’t climb as many roofs in Detroit (you could get onto some apartment roofs from the windowsills, but those were few and far in between), but in Yuzhao, there were ledges, ladders, and layers everywhere. It’s one of the most “vertical” levels I’ve ever played, and I had a ton of fun exploring every nook and cranny of it.

I hope MD takes the main criticism from HR to heart (the exp/praxis system) and gets the balance right.

HR wasn’t quite Deus Ex. But I’m okay with that now. It was an interesting, not perfect, game, and it’s a solid core on which EM may improve to get back to the DX/Bloodlines level of brilliance eventually.

• Faxmachinen says:

I ragequit Director’s Cut. I’d spent all my upgrades on the heavy assault rifle and only just maxxed it out, when the integrated DLC took all my weapons away. Oh shit! But you get them back, right?

Well, there’s a box at the start with all three of your weapons stashed in it. Had more than three? Tough. And insult to injury, your carrying capacity is reset.

But you get a box with all your old junk at the end of the DLC though, surely the rifle will be there? Rhetorical question.

• kud13 says:

I mostly play non-lethal, but I’m pretty sure I got my pimped-out stealth pistol of death back in that box. Along with more software and praxis points than I could carry. Not sure about the rifle, since I only murder people in the pods back in Hengsha.

I may need to do a killer playthrough to check this out.

Oakreef says:

I’m curious how many RPS readers played Deus Ex: The Fall? I picked it up when it was released on Steam and am of the unpopular opinion that it’s actually quite fun. It’s basically a trimmed down version of Human Revolution but considering I adored Human Revolution getting another hub area and a new story was really fun for me, even if the gameplay was not quite so good (but IMO hardly unbearable). People also called it incredibly buggy but I’d say I ran into fewer issues than I did while playing Human Revolution itself. I was quite disappointed that they never continued it (it was meant to be episodic).

• baozi says:

It’s certainly not the worst game ever and I don’t regret playing through it, but I’m not sure I would recommend it to anyone unless they really wanted more games with the setting of Deus Ex

• Distec says:

It was fine as a 99 cent purchase for my phone. But given its length and the limitations inherent to mobile ports, I’d say it’s a bad value proposition on PC.

alison says:

I enjoyed it a lot, and I played the Steam version without noticing any bugs or quirks. Obviously, there are aspects of it that are very mobile-y (no jump button, weird equipment purchasing mechanic), but I really liked the plot and the characters. I think Ben Saxon is a way more interesting protagonist than Alex Jensen. It’s a shame they didn’t continue the story.

Eleven says:

That’s a very nice ceiling.

8. santouryuu says:

i did play it a long while back,and it remains one of my most enjoyable gaming experiences.the thing is,that playing human revolution was such an intense experience that i don’t actually remember much of my time playing the game.i did a mostly stealth option,and didn’t really do direct action.and in my opinion it may be flawed,but in a much lesser degree than Graham or others seem to suggest.i think that probably if i did a direct action playthrough,it would have been more difficult for me.but still,overall the game seemed balanced enough.
    i recently played the original deus ex,and while it was a definitely an awesome game and really something else,but overall i’d say human revolution is more polished and better implemented.
    mankind divided looks like it’s going to be pretty great,though i think i’ll wait a bit before playing it

9. Blake Casimir says:

Played it. Loved it. Wanted more.

But of course, being a class of game above the usual third person action / FPS dross most devs aim for, it’s a rare breed: the immersive simulation. And that means we never get them any more. Games for gamers with taste. Immersive simulations for those that crave more than just fancy graphics, for those that want a game that makes a gamer feel truly a part of a place that is interactive in ways more than shoot and run forward.

This is why there hasn’t been a new Thief worth playing. Why no-one has bothered to make sequels of Ultima Underworld or System Shock until recently. This is a class of game that requires something greater than generic by-committee design. A class of game that strives to be something better than Call of Modern Theft-charted-of-War blah blah 34.

I’m bitter okay? First person RPGs / immersive sim / adventures are my absolute favourite gaming genres and there’s FAR TOO FEW OF THEM. Damnit.

• kud13 says:

Amen. Far too few devs risk trying something that ambitious. Most of the time you’re stuck playing mods for 10+ year old games to recapture that spark.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Yeah, that’s right. The last games before Deus Ex HR that had that Deus Ex-y feeling (great sense of location, atmosphere, music and above all multiple objective solutions) are games made 2005 and earlier. VtM: Bloodlines and the KotOR games for instance.

Then Deus Ex HR came along and I again got to feel that I was allowed to make my own plans, do some weird stuff, get creative. Vents everywhere and leading to so convenient places didn’t feel odd, it was just an option that I could use or not.

Bosses in Director’s Cut (the only version I’ve played) were handled well, but sometimes I got tired of trying to set up a non-frontal-assault solution and just typhooned their asses (human shrapnel bomb, go!).

Most fun was killing the elite soldiers by throwing heavy objects at them. Killing high tech enemies in such a low-tech and slapstick-y way felt so satisfying. Also surprised by how fun it was to shoot the guns, so I made one non-lethal playthrough and one mayhem and murder playthrough.

gritz says:

I’m really shocked that it’s been 5+ years and there’s still no patch to rebalance the XP awards away from punishing you for not playing a pacifist/no-kill ghost.

I really want to love this game, but the stealth gameplay is so immensely tedious and yet so ham-fistedly encouraged that I burn out after a couple hours.

• Guzzleguts says:

Only a problem if you’re trying to max your xp. I know it’s tempting, a learned habit, but totally unnecessary when the game is fairly easy even on hardest difficulty.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I usually go for a stealth/hacking approach in Deus Ex games, so I felt right at home with Deus Ex HR. It’s great that you can crouch walk faster while in run mode, because most of the tediousness of stealth comes with not being able to move that fast. When I did a second, bloodthirsty, playthrough I didn’t notice having much less XP. After the Missing Link part I still got more praxis points than I needed.

11. RaunakS says:

In addition to all of the above, Deus Ex: HR also contains one the best soundtracks in modern gaming history. Its still my go to workout mix after all these years.

link to youtube.com

Only the Mirror’s Edge and the Transistor OST even come close. The costume design also looked pretty but since I know butt all about fashion, I won’t comment more.

• baozi says:

If you liked the soundtrack, Michael McCann also did XCOM – the track Breaking Ground could just as well have been part of HR.

• RaunakS says:

The first Xcom reboot? Yeah that had nice ambient tracks too. But few of them were as perfect as, say, Icarus.

• SlimShanks says:

Ahhhh, I can’t believe I didn’t know those X-Com tracks were by him! No wonder the music in that game always gets me so incredibly hyped. Just listened to the menu track and am struggling not to start another Long War playthrough, I can’t afford X-COM 2 yet :(
        I wouldn’t say he nails every track, but he certainly has a whole pile of rather impressive songs, which seem fairly unique to me. If anyone knows any similar artists, I need to know.
        Human Revolution in general is one of Canada’s greatest accomplishments.

• Distec says:

My take on the soundtrack was that it was competently executed, but had pretty much none of the charm of the original’s more primitive (yet colorful) score.

That impression has only gotten more sour since hearing the updated music in Deus Ex Revision’s release. Some of the remakes worked better than others, but it convinced me that you can still pull off the feel of a DX track with modern instruments.

McCann’s work was mostly generic orchestra walls plus arpeggiators “because cyberpunk”, I guess.

• Stevostin says:

Erh, matter of taste I guess. To me it’s a pretty average soundtrack.

12. baozi says:

I liked the vibe of Human Revolution – the atmosphere, colors, and the music, and the moments where it felt like a movie, but I didn’t get the feeling it improved or even reached the best the original offered. Still though, a good game.

13. Solidstate89 says:

I have played it yes. Several times over. Love it.

14. Blackcompany says:

Bounced off hard.

The first time, I went thinking it was a third person action game. I didn’t go back for a year.

Then one day, I found myself wanting a deep RPG – the one Skyrim utterly failed to deliver.

So I tried DXHR on a whim. And didn’t touch another game for 50 hours of free time. Utterly loved it despite the last level and that boss with its multi stage, JRPG roots.

Truly great game

15. C0llic says:

I remember playing it at midnight and giving myself a bad day of work the next day. It was worth it. It was a good game, about as faithful a reinterpretation as we can expect these days.

16. Shazbut says:

It’s a brilliant game. Not as good as the original in the most important ways but a tremendous achievement nonetheless.

17. Viral Frog says:

I’ve played it more than a handful of times. It handles really poorly and is generally uninteresting to me.

Risingson says:

Loved it. A bit too kind to tge player for being an rpg, but i loved the golden hue and the game swifting abruptly between the stealth and the action.

Just one kind of gameplay bores me to death.

19. SlimShanks says:

Human Revolution, in my opinion of course, wields narrative in a way that only a video game can. Instead of informing me of plot and lore through exposition dumps, I felt like most of my understanding came from just looking at and thinking about the game world and the things I encountered in it. Also, I could see through interacting with people in the game world where my character’s place was, and what that meant.
    I think that movies and books can’t really make you understand something in the same way. Looking at a situation and operating within it are just so different. Games still have a long way to go in terms of utilizing player volition to convey ideas or feelings, but it’s clearly the strongest advantage games have over other forms of media.
    So, yay for Deus Ex in general!

20. real says:

I played it a few years ago, I kept a pleasant memory except that I expected more cyberpunk, I found the game too much cyber and not enough punk. I also remember that I watched the three possible endings by reloading the save just before the end, thus I did not necessarily want to play it again.

• Jason Moyer says:

There are actually 4 endings, with 3 variations of each depending on how you chose to play the game (apparently divided into good, neutral, and evil, although I have no idea how the game puts you into each category).

21. Unsheep says:

Human Revolution was OK, however I’ve never felt the urge to actually replay it, whereas the first game spawned three playthroughs for me. The first game has a much more fleshed-out game world, which makes it attractive to relive again.

zapatapon says:

I’m time? No, you‘re time!

23. Sin Vega says:

Still haven’t finished it. I stopped during the China hub, which involved far too much trudging through dull nothing alleys (much like the original, oddly), mostly because I’d come to a dead end in the one subplot I was interested in because I didn’t have the one skill (hacking) needed to advance it. What was doubly annoying was that I usually lean heavily on hacking in games like that, but made an exception for Deus Ex 3 just to do it differently, and so I’d get more out of it a second time.

Bah.

I disliked the ridiculous amout of orange. But I loved the handful of “persuasion” conversations you could have, and wish more games would/could do something similar with such efficacy. It’s one of very few games where I felt like I was actually reasoning with an NPC in order to persuade them rather than just rolling dice or checking a character skill. The voice acting and particularly the animations were excellent there (and prohibitively expensive to emulate, I’d imagine).

And if you hated those bits, you could just install the aug that let you game them instead (you big boring nerd). Everybody wins.

24. Turkey says:

Wish it had more city hubs. Those were the best parts.

25. Jason Moyer says:

Rescuing Malik didn’t require some gamey reward. Rescuing her was the reward.

• SlimShanks says:

I try to make choices in games as if I were actually faced with those decisions, so letting her die in my stead was right out of the question.

Harlander says:

Damn straight. I can’t remember how well-supported it was in the text, but by the time I’d got to that point I was sure that Jensen and Malik were the kind of friends who could call eachother at 2AM to help hide an inconvenient body, so to speak.

Harlander says:

… and so letting her get killed by rentacops wasn’t on the table, is how I should have finished that sentence.

alison says:

Agreed.

I was so upset when Malik died. My first playthrough I was doing mostly stealth so I didn’t have any of the heavy weapons I would need to stop the attack, so I ran. I thought it was just scripted that she died. I only found out much later reading a guide that you could save her. I think I went back to an old savegame and did it without playing through the rest of the game just to see what would happen. (Nothing happened.)

On my second (Director’s Cut) playthrough I did my usual stealth/non-lethal approach up until that scene, and then fucking went postal on those ass-hats. She survived. Nothing happened, but it was my greatest triumph of the game.

26. Laurentius says:

i have and it’s only DX game I have played. It’s fun, some aspects works better then others though. Story is only so-so, some more organic missions are really a blast, like finding a way to broke into PD in Detroit and some in Hengsha. The whole ending section part is rubbish, boss fights are bad. Also I generally shot my way through since discovered as it has little incentive to go stealth all the way. These peopele just wanted to kill me so badly so it’s completely ok that I defended myself.

27. Stevostin says:

I remember playing it just after playing E.Y.E and realised I had more fun with E.Y.E. For all its fault (and they were many) it had better gunplay, better inventory/progression, was bold in term of lore & design, and it had only a few texts, but those were always interesting. By comparison I gradually realized that absolutely each and every bit of story in DE:HR was failing at feeling like a reward. Just all and everything was boring to death. It’s probably the only game where I took the decision to stop to read all. It’s also telling that I can’t remember a single location in the game. The article reminded me of detroit. Some kind of Asia, somewhere, I guess? Arctic at the end? Of course, I have not the slightest remembrance of what choices I did at the end etc.

E.Y.E aside, the game suffers terribly by comparison at any level with Dishonored. Dishonored does much, much better on nearly every front. Square Enix has yet to prove they can do this kind of games convincingly for me. DX:HR is not quite there and Thi4f was actually a disaster.

• kud13 says:

E.Y.E was brilliant, fullstop. I never managed to finish (once I got to the Temple I realized how under-levelled I still was, and I didn’t feel like going back for more grind at that time), but the sheer amount of STUFF in that game (research health-pack; hack EVERYONE; dual-wield pistol and sword; deflect bullets with said sword; fling cars at enemies with your psy-powers; use over-levelled leg augs to jump up and destroy a gunship with a sledgehammer; etc) made it an absolute joy. Nice locations helped, too.

The story is nonsense, but it’s the playful tongue in cheek nonsense, as the guys from Streum On cheerfully admitted. Whereas HR story about Adam and Megan actually took itself seriously for most of the game (until zombies happened). And it really was not compelling.

I bought E.Y.E on release for full price. Did not regret it for a second.

alison says:

Huh, E.Y.E. I bought it ages ago on the hunt for something to quench my Deus Ex withdrawal, but I never made it more than an hour or two in. I found it extremely tedious. You have to walk for hours to get from one side of the room to the other side. There are walls of text to read through, and none of it makes any sense whatsoever. And then there are all these weird magical powers that make it feel more like a fantasy than a science fiction game. I went in expecting cyberpunk, but I felt like I was getting Warhammer 40K. Is that what it is? I mean, do you have to like (reskinned) fantasy to enjoy it? For what it’s worth I never picked up Dishonored either because fantasy/magic worlds don’t really capture my imagination.

• kud13 says:

There are lots of 40k influences. But the psy-powers (which are basically amped-up version of System Shock 2 powers) are entirely optional. You can put all your brouzoufs (yes, that’s what they call the currency) into DX-style augs.

Thing about E.Y.E., it’s main gameplay influence is Diablo. So there’s lots and lots of grind. The story locations are neat and very cyberpunk-ish (one location is called “Electric Sheep” and features a very Matrix-like apartment with tight staircases that gets stormed by cops), but in order to advance you’ll have to go back to these locations for bonus missions and basically grind. A lot. Otherwise, levels after Mars become next to impossibly difficult.

E.Y.E can be played as a cyberpunk shooter-with hacking and sniping. If you sink LOTS of money and Exp into Cloak Aug, you CAN play stealthy. (Actually, de may have addressed the enemies clarvoyance in a patch, so that cloak-less stealth may be possible, but very difficult). Its hacking is a really clever system that takes a while to figure out.

But at its core it’s first-person Diablo. Hence the persistent single/multiplayer account.

alison says:

Interesting. I’ve never played Diablo or similar CRPGs so this might still not be my cup of tea, but perhaps i’ll revisit it at some point when I am looking for a change. It certainly seems to be pretty acclaimed on RPS.

28. The Petulant Platypus says:

I really enjoyed DX:HR except for the boss battles which felt very tacked on.

I could probably forgive most of the battles except the first. My super-stealth ninja Jensen, managed to ghost through everything and then, in a minor ninja oversight (via cutscene), blundered into a room, passing through glass doors first and casually ran into an open room solely inhabited by an angry dude with guns.