Steam Top 10: Marauders, Witchers & Streamers

Here’s yer weekly top ten Steam best-sellers. That being what most tore up the charts last week. Is DOOM still king? What happens to Total Warhammer now it’s actually released? And what in the name of all that’s holy is YouTubers Life?

1. Total War: WARHAMMER

It’s been lurking around the top ten like a Nurgle plague for weeks prior to release, but now that the Creative Assembly’s Games Workshop adaptation is out and broadly well-received, it waaaghs its way straight to number one.

2. DOOM

Possibly the biggest surprise of the year so far demonstrates some staying power. Good word of mouth about the fast’n’furious singleplayer campaign more than makes up for a more muted response to the much-promoted multiplayer.

3. Youtubers Life

“Youtubers Life is the ultimate life simulation/tycoon videogame in which you can become the world’s greatest video blogger in history. Edit videos, expand the amount of fans and turn yourself into a wealthy fellow.” This is the world my daughter will inherit, so perhaps you’ll excuse me while I go and stare out the window and sigh heavily for 90 straight hours.

4. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Sales and the Blood & Wine expansion keep last year’s mega-RPG back in the chart for a second week running. Perhaps even grim Geralt will crack his granite jaw into a smile at that.

5. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

What actually happened is that Donald Trump’s pet Siberian tiger fell asleep on his keyboard, which inadvertently ordered CSGO 300,000 times. Trump has yet to notice this.

6. METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN

Last year’s best action game – wash-out final chapter notwithstanding – makes a welcome return due to a four-day sale which knocked it down to $28/ £17.49. No, it’s over now, sorry. But the current price of £24.99 remains a damn good deal for such an excellent stealth game and Kim Wilde singalong.

7. ARK: Survival Evolved

It’s the new CSGO! In that it’s always here, and that I don’t have anything else to say about it now. Always fascinating, from within the ivory tower of games criticism, to see something that everyone’s playing but no-one seems to be talking about, though. Games which become ways of life for so many, rather than brief source of hot takes.

8. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Game + Expansion Pass

Again, it’s sales wot did it, and that sale is still on until early Wednesday. Down from £55 to £36 for the whole Witcher 3 kit’n’kaboodle, including Blood & Wine, if you don’t already have it.

9. Stellaris

This might just be Stellaris’ last week in the top ten, although given they launched their IPO yesterday the Paradox bosses are presumably doing the Scrooge McDuck thing today and surely don’t care.

10. Grand Theft Auto V

Charts via Steam.

From this site

1. Kamestos says:

Don’t roll your eyes at one of the best games released this gen !

• Okami says:

While it’s one of the most impressive games of this generation (in terms of sheer amount of high quality content and it’s technical implementation), I wouldn’t call it one of the best. But these things are of course highly subjective.

• HopeHubris says:

Saints Row is a better GTA than GTA

• anHorse says:

But the actual missions of GTA V (story or online) are some of the least exciting in the series

2. Jambe says:

What’s this mean? I guess it struck me as a bit sour-grapey, i.e. “we write well, we (mostly) don’t understand video creation, damned kids, etc”.

Reading it charitably, it could be remorse at the cultural normalization of capitalistic fame-seeking and virality, but that’s not a recent phenomenon.

Or do you just dislike video?

Also, GTA V is a good time. That (delightful) Ritter eye-roll GIF is so inappropriate. I’m offended. OFFENDED I SAY.

• Ragnar says:

I think it may have to do with the role YouTube plays in young people’s lives and the celebrity status that it creates.

My daughter’s frequent response to anything remotely funny or interesting is that we should record it to put on YouTube.

And my wife and I attended PAX East a couple years ago and were surprised to find the longest lines by far were to get autographs from Let’s Players we’ve never heard of. For people who don’t enjoy watching Let’s Plays, and don’t understand why someone would want to watch someone else play a game rather than playing it themselves, it came as quite a shock to see people lining up by the hundreds for autographs.

In our day, people would drop out of college to start software empires. Now people drop out of college to become YouTubers. It’s a different world.

• Aldehyde says:

I’m struggling to see the difference between someone dropping out of college to do Youtube videos over writing some software or something completely different.

If it’s what they want to do and are able to do it then they should just do it.

• The Great Wayne says:

Hmmm, creating a software is a bad example. It requires a very particular and valued set of skills nowadays, especially if you’re doing it the hard way (self taught, alone).

Youtubers come in all forms and shapes, and sadly not all of them are very talented, skilled or even clever. Youtube is a media, and sadly considering the actual scape of YT streamers, having your kid dropping out of college to be a youtuber would be more like becoming part of a reality show.

9 out of 10 youtubers gives me the impression to thrive more on the youth of their audience more than actually providing interesting content. But I might just be too old for this crap.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

That’s a problem with YouTube and the system of quantity over quality it creates. There is Patreon of course which allows people to make money making less total but higher quality videos. That also comes with the darker side of people getting paid to make hateful content which I would say is the bigger concern than people who are supposedly receiving more than their talent should get them.

• Jambe says:

So it’s just “kids these days”, then? They’re developing modes of expression and cultural norms which are different than yours?

O tempora o mores!

Honestly, that’s a poor attitude. I imagine minors would find your viewpoint belittling if not outright insulting. Then again, I don’t have a daughter. Maybe if I did I would suddenly start looking down on her ideas. I can only speak of my eight nieces and nephews, whose video-sharing and meme-swapping and suchlike I rather enjoy (even though I understand precious little of it). Their infectious enthusiasm is motivation enough for me to partake with them.

If I totally understood what they were up to and why they thought the way they did, I would pity them. I want them to be different, better and more complex than I was, and if not that, then at least more interesting. Blessedly, they are both.

I don’t know what “our day” is (I’m 28) but most people who drop out of college do not excel; this has always been the case. That’s why the “successful dropout” stories are stories at all: they’re uncommon.

• cautet says:

If you aren’t rolling your eyes up at your children they are definitely rolling their eyes up at you.

Also is it male/female divide? Trying to take an interest and failing to understand vs just ignoring it and hoping it will go away. I did quite enjoy brain surgery barbie though, so new modes of cultural expression aren’t all bad.

• Jambe says:

They’ll be rolling their eyes regardless of what we do; better, surely, to be earnestly or playfully involved than disinterested or aloof or actively hostile.

I don’t know if sex/gender has much to do with it. Maybe? I just find moral decline pandering really obnoxious.

“Why don’t they do as we did?” Because they aren’t us.

“Look how they’re setting themselves up to fail!” As did we.

Et cetera. They’ll be alright.

• Alec Meer says:

“turn yourself into a wealthy fellow” is the line which worried me. “get rich on youtube” is the new “marry a footballer” as life goals go.

• Jambe says:

I see. I guess I’m not too bothered by get-rich-quick schemes or fiscal naivete. I want my nieces and nephews to make wise decisions (I don’t have children) but at some point they’ll be completely owning their mistakes/successes and my worries will merely gray my hair.

3. Firenz says:

But only because Hearts of Iron IV is coming out next week!

• Firenz says:

well it turns out I don’t know how to quote properly.

That comment was meant to relate to the forecast that this will be Stellaris’ last week in the Top 10.

• ninjapirate says:

I like your quote. It makes me want to read between the lines to see if I missed something there.

• Cinek says:

Likely it will be back when they’ll decide to release depth DLC.

4. UniuM says:

I follow this for some weeks now, and why don’t you say allready:

CS:GO beeing there is because of the cheaters beeing constantly banned.

No numbers to back this up.. but i accept it. :D

• Symarian says:

I was about to comment the same thing. Granted, CS is a popular game, but cheaters are caught everyday (there’s even more of them during the summer/winter sales)

5. Sin Vega says:

Compare this to the PC top ten 5 or six years ago, oozing as it was with godawful stereotype-proving spoddery, and our world has become a vastly better place.

6. Zero13k says:

So what if GTA V is still in the top 10 honestly it should be in the top 3. GTA v has made a huge impact in the open world,action,story driven and multiplayer game genre. ROCKSTAR games keeps adding new online content for many to enjoy and keeps GTA V going and going do not hate on them just because they make massive amounts of money that your site would not see in a century. On the plus side they give new online DLC for free what wait what free hmm what companies have been knowing to do that in their open world games the have DLC brought out for them let’s see none. Keep kicking ass Rockstar you are number 1 to me not just for GTA but all games you make.

• liquidsoap89 says:

LA Noire still sucks!

• Symarian says:

Firstly, grammar. Secondly, whilst GTA’s single player is great, Online is full of cheaters and trolls, coupled with repetitive game modes and practically nothing to do besides racing against high level players who start races as soon as someone low level enters the lobby to improve their win/loss ratio. To even access that “free DLC” you have to either grind like there’s no tomorrow or buy shark cards. Besides, those DLCs add practically nothing: “Oh look, a yacht I can’t actually sail or do anything with,”; “I can be a VIP, which basically means nothing besides being able to give my money to people who will do nothing,”; etc. The only reason it’s on the top ten is because the cheaters need new accounts after Rockstar’s latest ban wave.

7. Pendragon says:

HA! Overwatch didn’t even make the top 10 !!!

What’s that ? Blizzard games not on Steam ? Oh….

DelrueOfDetroit says:

No Man’s Sky getting delayed was probably the best thing that could of happened for Blizzard.