Lick The Biomechanical Gristle Of FPS-Adventure Scorn

Several games have waved H.R. Giger’s subliminal dicks and fannies in our faces, mostly through Alien connections, but in recent years I’ve seen few go for it quite as much as Scorn [official site]. It’s an upcoming mix of first-person shooter and adventure game, with all the biomechanical ribbing, pumping, throbbing, squicking, and glistening of Giger with touches of Zdzisław Beksiński and David Cronenberg. I’ve peeked at Scorn before but what pushed me to post about it now was this new trailer – it seems to show a meatgun changing function as the player pulls out a toothed, gristly gland and swaps in a fatty glob of sphincters. It’s the small things in life, you know?

Serbian studio Ebb Software explain that Scorn is set in a non-linear open world where each glistening region has its own bit of story. Expect puzzles to solve, limited inventory to manage, and a spot of scrapping.

I do like that Ebb talk about flinging you hard into this writhing meatworld, not over-explaining what’s going on, not having distinct cutscenes so you need to pay attention, and having full body awareness. If you pick up, use, or otherwise touch something, our skinless star will reach out and do it with their awful arms. The big question now is: can you look down and see your legs?

Ebb Software plan to release Scorn in two halves. The first, named DASEIN, is coming in 2017. In the meantime, they’re taking a crack at Steam Greenlight. You might have seen Scorn when Ebb failed a Kickstarter attempt in 2014, but they managed to attract a private investor to fund development.

Adam and I have grand plans for a Vive experience which starts as a wacky physics ‘simulator’ about dining but degenerates into body horror as you assemble a gun from your meal and your own teeth. I’ve suggested it use modded motion controllers with pliers attached for fun mix-ups with that weird VR ‘imaginary body’ sensation.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Christo4 says:

That actually looks pretty good?!

2. TheAngriestHobo says:

Definitely atmospheric, and almost beautiful, though that doesn’t quite seem like the right word. It captures the essence of Giger even better than Dark Seed did, in some ways. I particularly appreciate the the protagonist is just as horrifying as everything else in the game… it’s reminiscent of SOMA, which is never a bad thing.

3. Chaz says:

You could call it eXistenZ.

• ivanmussa says:

Are we still in the game?

• Emeraude says:

More likely eXisten2.

• Distec says:

Man, I was hoping to be the first to make an eXistenZ reference. I’m not as unique and cool as I hoped I was.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I understood why he made an existenz reference, so I guess I’m as cool and learned as I thought I was :P. I’m not easily disgusted by things I see in movies/games, but existenz grossed me out in one scene where they cut off a pod and there was lots of blood (it looks more awful than it sounds).

4. SocialJusticeLawyer says:

“Ban this sick filth.”
    Ban this post.

Scorn looks promising, like a walk through H.R Giger’s legacy.

5. RedViv says:

Thank you for bringing up Beksinski I love you okay

This looks gorgeous in the most twisted way

• Procrastination Giant says:

Seconded! Seeing someone mention Beksinski always puts a smile on my face, so cheers to that. Such a criminally underrated artist, that one.

• DeadCanDance says:

You never cease to amaze me Alice.

• Christo4 says:

Beksinski is probably my favorite artist.
      And some parts of dark souls seems to have inspiration from his work, or perhaps berserk.

6. Jokerme says:

WOW. This looks amazing. Haven’t been this excited for a game in a long time. Don’t let me down Serbia.

7. jj2112 says:

Eggcellent

8. Graedient says:

I really like the look of this, it gives me the creeps on a far more primal level than current horror games do. Hope they don’t spoil it with jump scares.

Nauallis says:

Hmm, ok. I’m not really seeing the game here, based on that trailer. Looks like an artist’s portfolio example more than anything else. Also a little confused because the RPS post doesn’t actually make it clear you’re talking about a VR experience (you are, aren’t you?). Time will tell.

• Zenicetus says:

Came here to post exactly that. It nails the Giger aesthetic, but it’s presented like an artist’s demo reel. We’ll have to see if there is a game worth playing here.

10. Strangeblades says:

Nice. I felt almost sad seeing that little guy wounded on the ground at the 2:34 mark.

• zsd says:

Same here. I imagined the meatman’s internal monologue as he pointed his meatgun at it:

“Hmm…this thing can barely move under it’s own power… doesn’t really seem like a threat… I guess I’ll let it live… if living’s what you’d call this wretched existence…”

Can’t say how the final game will turn out, though. The writhing fleshnub could wind up being a quest giver or romantic interest for all I know.

• April March says:

My thought went more “Hey this little creature is wounded… I think?”

• Phasma Felis says:

I’m not clear if it’s wounded and unwell, or was never meant to be in the first place and this is the best that it gets.

• Jay Load says:

Perhaps it works for the RPS Hive-mind?

Or worked. We may just have seen the true fate of Mr Rossignol.

11. FreshHands says:

I am in love. Kind of a pretty disgusting kind of love – but at least I feel something.

Still pretty surprised no one did this kind of thing before. I mean, I do not even need more than some kind of walking simulator with these aesthetics.

If they also build a decent game around these, I will be happy to throw my slime-coated flesh-money at them.

12. noom says:

Y’know, I was thinking about R-type and all that kinda early 90s Psygnosis type stuff earlier today, and wondering what gaming would be like if that aesthetic had survived through to today. I think the answer would’ve been more games that looked like this.

13. Sardonic says:

But where is Mike Dawson in all this?

14. DanMan says:

Delightfully disgusting.

15. Chiron says:

Thats absolutely fucking disgusting.

More of this sort of thing devs.

16. yhancik says:

It’s a little disturbing how extremely close it is to its influences… there’s a fine line between the tribute and the rip-off, and.. mh…

But beside that, it looks absolutely beautiful *_*

17. Numerical says:

Totally looks like an early 90’s death metal album cover scene ala Dan Seagrave.

18. vorador says:

That looks meaty *ba dum tsss*

If they release this…thing on VR, i will definitely shit my pants playing it. If the extremely short part of what looks like gameplay is any indication of the final result.

19. something says:

It all looks gloopy and gooey and soft and squidgy. But it’s made with current game development tools, which means it’ll all be as immovably rigid as a Platonic solid, save for the pre-baked* animations.

* Spell checker doesn’t know pre-baked, thinks I might mean pee-baked.

• Jay Load says:

…I’m not sure the opposite of this even exists? Can you name any game world that’s not limited by it’s “pre-baked” animation?

• Darloth says:

Yes, actually. Scrap Mechanic, for one, or any other game where you get to define how things are connected and then physics does stuff.

• Jay Load says:

Ok. Still, I can’t imagine there are very many of those out there. Less than 1% of games on the market? I still find it an odd complaint, although I do kinda get what you’re looking for.

20. Shazbut says:

I like how confident the trailer is. Super slow and luxurious. You can almost taste the exposed muscle.

I’ll wait for some gameplay but this does look like a thing.

21. wodin says:

I’ve suffered from nightmares pretty much every night since as far back as I can remember and I’m 45 now so this art style does nothing for me. I don’t want my games to also look like something fro my nightmares!:)

22. Turkey says:

That’s a lot of meat boys.

23. April March says:

Pip and Graham are liars, Alice.

liquidsoap89 says:

It looks like eXistenZ and the anus doors from Prey had a grotesque baby. It’s a baby that I would very much like to spend more time with!

magogjack says:

This is the weirdest metroid game ever.

26. Julian85 says:

Is interesting that the guy with tiny white eyes behind that skin, can see the world exactly like a human in other fps games.

27. noxohimoy says:

Looks promising, but Would I actually be allowed to tear apart any piece of it, to make my own plan instead of just choosing from a limited menu of options?

Like ripping a rib from the walls to make a trap which I myself invented?

… and then finding that the wall was in pain, so is now angry and vengeful against me?

Will all of that have a purpose over which I can interfere, and not just as a piece of the script?

Can I cause a disease to the organic stuff, only to find that it evolves into something sinister?

If I make a weapon with some of my body parts will that mean that I really would need to be creative to progress/achieve an objective?

Will it have a weaponless mode as scary as Alien Isolation?

Will I be able to sabotage the things to make them produce creatures with some Achilles heel which I can exploit, or make them hostile against the bio mechanic thing?

The problem with nice graphics is that they promise too much, leading to disappoint after release.
    What really makes games great are game mechanics. You get used to graphics too fast to enjoy the effort spent on it.

28. Necrourgist says:

First “A Serbian Film” and now “Scorn”…Serbia is shaping up to be my favourite country for dark and disgusting art! I love it!

29. Geebs says:

Meh. At least Darkseed involved Giger and gave him some actual credit. This is far too close for homage and basically just rips off big wodges of Giger’s visual style without the devs really contributing anything new of their own.

Also needs more robodicks.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

Well, Giger is dead, so I don’t think he’ll be working on this project.

• Phasma Felis says:

Only one person is ever allowed to work in any given style.

• Geebs says:

Cover versions are cool. Note-for-note copies aren’t.

Zeno Clash was cool. This isn’t, beyond the meaty glisten shaders.

• Razumen says:

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

30. Jay Load says:

SILENCE THE DISCOOOOOORRRRD!

31. Jay Load says:

I’m here to lick sphincter and chew pustule sebum, and I’m all out of pustule sebum!

32. Muzman says:

Well, that is a lot more Giger-esque than just about everything that’s attracted that tag before.

33. tonicer says:

Sweet, that looks awesome.

And the best part it will be a PC game first and then later get ported to consoles. (link to steamcommunity.com)

Looks like it could be worth some money to me, knowing that.

34. Jay Load says:

This game has gone right to my happy gland and made a nest. The game as described on the website sounds great as well, although I almost hope the combat is perfunctory to allow the levels and puzzles the prominence they deserve.

DAESIN can’t arrive soon enough.