Darksiders Revamped In ‘Warmastered Edition’

2010’s Apocalyptic (that’s with a capital A) hack ‘n’ slash Darksiders [official site] is being revamped for a prettied-up re-release, like its sequel already has. And like the sequel with its ‘Deathinitive Edition’ subtitle, Darksiders is picking up a dreadful title: the Warmastered Edition. Like ‘remastered’, yeah? But War because the game’s about that surly fella out the Four Horseman? The preponderance of puns is the surest sign of the impending end times, if you ask me. But this surely brings us closer to a Darksiders III?

What can you expect from this revamp? Publishers Nordic Games say:

• 4k support and additional video options for PC
  • Doubled all the texture resolutions
  • Rendering improvements and rework
  • Better shadow rendering quality
  • Post processing effects
  • 60 FPS in moment to moment gameplay

This re-release is mostly for the benefit of consoleers, bringing Darksiders to systems which never saw it the first time, but it’s nice we’ll see it too. The fancying-up is being done by Kaiko, folks who worked on the Xbone edition of Darksiders II Deathinitive.

Darksiders Warmastered Edition is due on October 25th. It’ll cost £14.99/19,99€/$19.99 and you’d imagine it’ll offer a discount to current Darksiders owners, like D2 Deathinitive did?

Nordic have said they plan to make Darksiders III one day. Having the first two games out on all modern systems is a fair way to build interest towards that goal.

The publishers plan to release comparison screenshots next week, because heaven forbid they give us information like that now. Just think of what we might do with it! For now, here are the first screenshots of the Warmastered Edition (click to embiggen):

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Hastorias says:

I just hope that this only apply to consoles and that the pc version won’t be locked to 60.

2. Syrion says:

Fun game! Though from the sound of it the pc version won’t benefit all that much from it. I thought it looked mighty fine when I played it several years ago, especially with a rather cartoony art design. I couldn’t care much less for higher resolution textures in that case. But, having both games bundled up in their remastered form as the “definitive” edition to get both, sounds good to me. Unless these new versions are plagued by new problems that weren’t there before, like unfortunately so often with these re-releases.

• mukuste says:

I played it just recently and also thought it looked very nice still, better than even some newer games. In fact from the screenshots above I wouldn’t be able to tell that anything changed at all.

Guess this is really more of a console update, then.

• Ashabel says:

Same, I played it last year and don’t really see any difference between these screenshots and the game. The comic book-y art direction has aged very well.

On the other hand, Darksiders still is one of the best games in its genre and I’m happy that more people will have a chance to play it.

• Jalan says:

The issues with the remastered version of Darksiders II seem to vary, if most of the user reviews and forum threads (not just on Steam) are to be believed. To the point where some people who own the original version of the game suggest that it is preferable to playing over the “improved” version.

Not to say the same thing is going to happen with this, but I guess the possibility can’t be excluded entirely.

3. Vacuity729 says:

I got a long way through this game before getting stuck on either a tricky piece of platforming, or not realising that I was really supposed to be doing it some other way as the jump was impossible. After some frustration, I reached the glorious realisation that I really didn’t care. I uninstalled it and have never tried the sequel, though I do own it.

• shagen454 says:

You basically described my experience with every single console port sort of game! I really liked Darksiders though it still had it’s really annoying consolitis issues, so eventually I got to a point that was so god damn annoying that after many retries, the game was no longer played and eventually uninstalled.

• fish99 says:

That’s a shame because the game gets better and better the further you get through it, to the point where I thought it was pretty magnificent by the end.

Can’t speak for the sequel though.

• Zanon says:

I honestly deeply and firmly disagree with you and whoever says the sequel was that bad. I had loads of fun as death through the whole game, the rpg factor was really nice and felt unique to the player and not to mention the crucible which was indeed lots of fun. There are plenty of reasons to which i find DII better than DI, but i have to give it to DI for breaking the ice for the series and the general feel of the game. Having said that, i rank DII higher than DI but still lots of credit to the latter.

4. Author X says:

I’m glad to see this series is still alive, but I do hope they don’t get caught in a loop of remakes and rereleases without a true sequel like the Oddworld series seems to be.

• Jalan says:

After this is released, there’s nothing else to remaster in the series.

Having written that, I still say Darksiders III is a pipe dream.

5. thelastpointer says:

Does this worth playing without a controller? I know I have no excuse for this in 2016, but…

Grizzly says:

A controller is a luxery object. You don’t need an excuse for not wanting to acquire or use one :-)

• Ragnar says:

A discreet GPU is a luxury item, but we still recommend every PC gamer use one and replace it every few years.

Hell, this whole hobby is a luxury.

I bought a wireless Xbox 360 controller 8 years ago for $40. Best value of any hardware upgrade I’ve made in the last decade. I’ve had to replace the wireless dongle for another $15, but the controller is still going strong.

• Xocrates says:

I played through it without a controller and I don’t recall having any issues. Frankly, there are sections that are probably easier on m+k

bsplines says:

I have tried both and found using a controller to be an improvement. If I remember correctly, analog movement was not an issue, but there is a multitude of abilities and required daft fingers (or rebinding) to use them effectively.

• Urthman says:

I tried it with a controller, but found I preferred M+K. For me, the better camera control and better control of targeting vastly outweighed the loss of analog stick movement (but then I also prefer Dark Souls with M+K, so I’m a weirdo).

• Urthman says:

But yes to bsplines point that you can only successfully replace a controller with M+K if you’re willing to experiment and be creative with your keybindings. A five-or-more-button mouse also helps.

6. Faults says:

I really hope there’s an option to disable that godawful chromatic aberration they got going on there. Why do devs keep on thinking it looks good?