No Man’s Sky: A Gallery Of Gorgeous Space Vistas

1 of 46

Hello! I’ve just updated this gallery of screenshots with my latest travels in No Man’s Sky [official site]. Mostly I’m just documenting lovely, peaceful moments and lovely colour palettes. Humour seems to lend itself better to video than screenshots, as with these animals.

To navigate the gallery just use the arrow buttons near the images or the left and right arrow keys on the keyboard!

My ongoing explorations of No Man’s Sky have led to a gradual shift in my feelings towards the game. At first I was finding the interface clunky and frustrating, and a lot of the basic methods the game has for imparting information woeful. Then I settled into a rhythm where I was just exploring, wanting to find the creatures on each planet and seeing what came up along the way. Now I’ve teetered over into a kind of grab-bag experience. I go down to a planet’s surface to see what the procedural generation has spat out this time around and if I like it I’ll explore a bit but otherwise it’s a case of going on to the next pretty quickly.

I’m not particularly interested in following quests and things because so much of this game for me is about how it looks or how the environments it generates make me feel, so this gradual loosening of its grip on my will to keep exploring and being entranced by each new thing is going to play a big part in whether I keep playing or not. I’m also having that experience where I’m recognising a lot of the jigsaw pieces that the procedural generation uses in creating creatures so the moments of excitement with those are becoming less frequent. I’m not sure if that’s to do with how the game generates things – i.e. if planets in nearby clusters will use similar assets – or whether the set of go-to pieces is a lot smaller than I’d thought. I think the fact that they tend to have similar movement patterns is part of why the animals seem less and less like individual species. I’ve seen the wild aimless scampering and the ear scratching and the fear responses a lot by this point and it’s starting to really highlight that these aren’t creatures who seem to be reacting to the world around them. I don’t think I’ve seen any of them interact with one another in any particularly interesting ways, either.

I’m not sure how to position that as a criticism because I have honestly got no idea what an undertaking it would be to even approximate what I’m critiquing. So what I hope this update does is just lay out the changes in my feelings towards the game as I play more of it, and where I’m starting to become aware of the limitations.

Check out our No Man’s Sky guide if you’re more into maximising efficiency than pretty pictures.

Original article

I’ve spent a significant chunk of the last few days having an explore in No Man’s Sky [official site]. I still have my reservations and there’s so much clunkiness and frustration that needs dealing with AND the tutorial/new player onboarding is dismal – in fact, my thoughts are pretty much in line with John’s review of the game – BUT I’ve also had moments of joy, and I do feel compelled to keep exploring. My screenshot count is just shy of 400 right now so I’ve put together a kind of travellogue to illustrate my journey so far via my favourite images. You can click on any of them for a larger version and you can navigate the gallery using the arrow buttons just next to the images.

Disclaimers:

The gallery is not exhaustive because a lot of my early screenshots had me forgetting to remove the HUD so I’ve culled those from the collection! It’s also on temporary hiatus while I indulge in a lot of creative swearing. The swearing is because the auto-lander that takes care of parking your ship has landed me in such a way that I’m trapped on the terrain which cannot be destroyed and every time I try to take off the engines and launch thrusters explode. I’m steeling myself to go back in and see whether I have any previous saves to revert to or whether hopping in and out of the ship to try and fix the problems has left me with a choice of identically screwed files to choose from.

If it’s the latter I have a long trudge across a hostile landscape trying to find a point at which to try and summon the damn thing. No idea if that’s even possible if the engines are borked.

But yes. Let’s focus on the pretty moments here and not, e.g. the thing that caused me to say the C-word so loudly a bird flew away outside.

OH. Also Alec wrote some stuff for the game. No idea what but if I find any aliens who seem to be keen to explain their Transformers fanfiction I figure I’ll have narrowed it down significantly.

From this site

1. Odoakar says:

When will you write something about this game not having 90% of the promised features? About this game being the biggest fiasco since Colonial Marines?

Or do you plan to continue posting praising articles for this game?

• emotionengine says:

Brendan wrote a piece which raised those concerns over a week ago: link to rockpapershotgun.com

• Fiatil says:

Is it fun waking up in the morning looking for things to hate and be angry about?

The game aint Colonial Marines or Arkham Knight. Sorry, your idols have lied to you. It’s actually pretty damn fun if you like survival exploration games, not so much if you were expecting Destiny + Skyrim + Minecraft + All of your favorite games as so much of the internet was expecting.

• dangermouse76 says:

I’ve had with you people ! I’m coming round your place tonight and whilst you sleep I’m gonna thoroughly clean out all your kitchen cupboards.

You got that !

• Creeping Death says:

NMS was full of lies! (Please come clean my cupboards too! They’re a mess) :)

• dangermouse76 says:

Oh ! Right you think I wont ( writes down name ). Your getting your bathroom done to young fella me lady.

• Danarchist says:

The game is frustrating and bland at times, at others I get a real kick out of it. For some reason, despite some really well written diatribes trying to convince me otherwise, I am having a really hard time hating the game. I suppose I was not emotionally invested in this before it was released so maybe it has less of an effect on me. Or maybe I am just jaded after spending way to much money on Star Citizen only to have an almost functional loading screen simulator and crash engine years later.

I think those that are still angry about the developer releasing the game in a psuedo-alpha state should move on and be angry about something else at this point. We have heard your concerns, we understand your perfectly reasonable anger, we just don’t give a crap. (We being me and the voices in my head)

• Fiatil says:

Pretty much this. It’s ok! Steam offers refunds now. If you don’t like it, you can get one and move on with your life. There are so many people that are so invested in hating this game right now, it just doesn’t seem like a very fun thing to do.

• corroonb says:

People are entitled to their opinions, especially if they spent £45 based on features the developers promised but never delivered. That you can get a refund does not change the misleading nature of the marketing for NMS and all of it was coming from the devs, not Sony or some marketing agency.

• Danarchist says:

People are definitely entitled to their opinion, absolutely. I am just tired of hearing about it at this point =P
            This is one of the only sites I don’t have forums blocked on, and this has been a constant rabble rabble rabble on every post about this game. Getting angry at the RPS guys for not marching in a circle along side you with signs and angry chants seems a bit much. Even when you have a good point, people eventually get tired of hearing it.TB, Sterling, and every other webonality out there has already said it better.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

I have a hard time hating it because I didn’t watch the game previews, didn’t follow the devs and didn’t expect Wing Commander + Minecraft + Mass Effect.
        While the steam store video is certainly false advertising, the game is entertaining up until 10 hours in.
        Also the AAA price tag is a joke, should be 20-25€.

Nauallis says:

I’m still hoping to see a life-bearing world that is predominantly blue and green and perhaps yellow, without much red or any red at all. Haven’t seen anything quite like what I’m hoping to see, yet. Images 13, 17, 23 & 27 give me some hope of that occurring. Has anyone else seen a non-corrosive world that isn’t saturated with red?

3. dangermouse76 says:

So Philippa are you enjoying the game due to it’s mechanics or in-spite of them ?
    I’m about 5 hours in and feel, deflated by the idea of continuing to use the base mechanics to achieve even my own personally directed goals.

BTW, the run speed, my god that should be the walk speed.
    Also if you come across a green, watery planet like in the trailers, with red trees called dangermouse……that’s me.

• Philippa Warr says:

I think it’s more that I’m still enjoying playing the lottery with planet discovery. I’ll go down to a planet and see what’s there and sometimes it’s lovely. But more and more it’s reminding me of something like a colour palette generator: link to coolors.co

It’s the aesthetic hit I’m after and everything else is… no longer obtrusive but also not engaging. I can pretty much find all the resources I need – tbh it’s just plutonium and thamium or whatever that one is called most of the time and then whatever I need to craft the warp cores – and then I just ping pong between star systems seeing if there’s anything I like the look of.

I stopped checking out bases and other things a long time ago. I think the only stuff I still make time for are the pods that grant you extra suit inventory slots and the language markers.

• dangermouse76 says:

I’m looking for an element called thyroid, my wife was born without one at all. So if it’s in here that’s some major Brownie points.

• PancakeWizard says:

Upgrade your hyperdrive so you can access the different colour stars, which do get more interesting results in the RNG more often than the standard yellow stars.

As for saving your stuck ship, try the orange beacons and search for ‘colonial outposts’ which will find places with landing pads amongst other things so you can call your ship. If that doesn’t work, search for transmissions instead and repair a crashed ship.

• Samuel Erikson says:

“BTW, the run speed, my god that should be the walk speed.”

You’ll be wanting the Expedition mod. It makes exploration much easier, though swimming is still painfully slow.
      link to nomansskymods.com

• dangermouse76 says:

Yes, yes that’s the one……installing.Cheers.

• PancakeWizard says:

• Samuel Erikson says:

“swimming is fast if you jetpack out of the water, point yourself at said water, then stop jetting and push forward and you’ll keep the momentum as long as you don’t hit anything under there.”

It does help a little, but I still wish swimming were even faster. That said, the Fly Anywhere mod improves things even more–though landing’s a bit tricky underwater!

• PancakeWizard says:

“BTW, the run speed, my god that should be the walk speed”

get the run speed upgrades. I suspect that’s why the default is so crap, to give a point to said upgrades. Even just the first one makes a lot of difference.

4. funky_mollusk says:

If that’s what you’re into, then great. But I don’t think it’s for me… Looking at colour palettes (lovely though they may be) doesn’t seem like a sufficient gameplay mechanic to hold my attention. Especially since I can look at them on here instead of playing. :p

See you in the bargain bin NMS…

• Zenicetus says:

Different *enough* color palettes might have been enough to hold my attention. It’s basically the same art direction aesthetic everywhere.

It helped to sell the game, but I think the devs backed themselves into a corner with that distinctive 1950’s sci-fi cover art look. After seeing enough planets in my 10 hours with the game, I was pining for something like a vacuum lunar landscape like in Mass Effect, or a deep forest, or a windblown snowfield like in some areas of Skyrim.

But we’re never going to see that in NMS. It doesn’t fit the narrowly defined aesthetics. It’s not just the limits of procedural generation either, because they could have widened the palette in the algorithm. That sameness eventually killed the game for me. If there isn’t much to do besides sightseeing, the sightseeing has to be more varied for me to stick with it.

• PancakeWizard says:

“It seems that the people who are enjoying this game, are playing it essentially like a walking simulator.”

I’m enjoying it and that’s not how I’m playing it. Nice try, though.

5. goettel says:

Just added three mods, NMS-E3FX Reshade, Instagram-Filter-Remover and the Internal Resolution Multipliers PAK (using 1.0 scale) and the difference in graphical fidelity is huge.

As for the game itself: I kept it past the 2 hour Steam refund cut-off, which I can’t say for e.g. Fallout 4, and so far it’s held my attention way more than e.g. Overwatch.

Different strokes I guess, I’m happy with what it offers, even if it didn’t meet my (and evidently others’) hyped-up expectations.

Andy_Panthro says:

The gameplay mechanic that’s keeping me going is acquiring all the words in the different languages, so that I can actually speak to the aliens. Once I’ve done that, I’ll be done with the game I think (or will try to get to the “end”, such as it is).

I enjoy it, to a certain extent, but then I also still enjoy pottering about in Minecraft in a pretty basic way too, and at least NMS has far better world generation. If NMS had the building and such, then I’d really be sold on it.

I’m on a break now for Mankind Divided though.

7. racccoon says:

I love this game its awesome!
    I’m traveling on Black hole path, which so far has cost 26 jumps, it does seem ages away but I’m getting there! :) I have maxed inventory, one maxed super Multi tool and have acquired over 18 million with a ship that has 34 slots hoping to get the best one later. I now earn a easy cool 1 mill++ each time I play, by just filling up with gravitino’s some planets are loaded with them, they are so easy to collect and killing the sentinels is a breeze & dodging their attacks by deviating through mountains ranges is even more fun with a nice performing jet pack!
    Awesome! well done Hello Games

corinoco says:

What has been utterly fascinating is the sheer amount of WORDS written about No Mans Sky – more than are in the game, and possibly more than Planescape Torment.

It’s another game – didn’t quite live up to the hype, but isn’t awful; dev is a bit flighty; might have spouted off a bit – but THE WORDS! So many! Some salty, some sweet – so what’s the angle on this? Why all these words now? Why this game?

Why the hell didn’t they make it VR compatible? Seems an obvious missed opportunity there?