For The Emp- Er, Uh: WH40k Eternal Crusade Released

Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade [official site] left Steam Early Access to properly launch on Friday, but it sounds like that may have been too soon. I’ve not had a crack myself but broad consensus seems to be that the multiplayer shooter is still unbalanced, unpolished, and buggy. Which are the sorts of things I’d usually expect early access to remedy.

Anyway! This is a News Post so let’s crack on. Eternal Crusade is a class-based third-person shooter in the world of Warhammer 40k, with the Space Marines, Orks, Eldar, and Chaos Space Marines duking it out. It’s mostly competitive multiplayer with folks bashing each other in Battlefield-ish battles, but does have a touch of PvE too.

However, do be quite clear that it’s very different from the PlanetSide-style shooter MMO in a persistent open world that was originally planned. The persistent world, at launch, is not a 3D but rather a 2D campaign map changed by the results of matches. The Steam page from when it first was sold in Early Access certainly makes it sound like a lot more. Games inevitably change over development according to time, budget, whim, and intent, but yeah, it hasn’t come out as PlanetSide.

I was interested in the endless war as originally announced – especially the idea of letting everyone play Orks without paying so the world would be filled with hordes of da gitz – but I’ll probably skip the finished product.

Our Eurogamer pals wrote a review [note: a review is a sort of Wot I Think -ed.] saying it still needs work, and many Steam user reviews agree – though some definitely are digging it.

Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade is £39.99/49,99€/$49.99 on Steam. It’s made by Behaviour, the gang behind Dead by Daylight and, er, Naughty Bear. Bandai Namco are the publishers. Here, launch trailer:

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Earl-Grey says:

2. satan says:

Hadn’t checked up on this for a while, had no idea they’d binned the MMOFPS concept. Damn it.

• Manco says:

The MMO and free Ork Waagh part got binned a pretty long time ago, though it was a bit scummy you weren’t eligible for a refund because of it (not technically wrong because early access and changing plans, but still).

From what I’ve seen and played the one entire match myself, it needed at least a half year more refining, and balance between weapons and factions is just lopsided.

• OniFeeZ says:

Actually, refunds were offered back in the day when those changes were announced, because they were still in Founders access only (back when there were Warriors/Captains and something else packs). It was about the time when Miguel Caron was replaced by Nathan (who helped make Eve online). And believe me, there were plenty of people pissed enough at the changes even then.

While the game has been noticeably scaled back from what was originally promised, it has to be said that those concepts haven’t been *scrapped*. They’re still on the cards. Eternal Crusade is intended to grow and morph into having these elements over time, by adding features etc, etc.

Of course, whether Eternal Crusade will even survive long enough to gain those features after been forced out the door by Bandai Namco will remain to be seen.

• Dinges says:

Such a huge shame, unbelievable. All I wanted in life was to partake in an eternal waaagh!, within a faithful recreation of the WH40K universe.

Instead, we get a shooter with worse visuals, atmosphere and quality than the singleplayer “Space Marine” game for a much higher price. Great.

3. Ethaor says:

“All they had to do” was Space Marine from Relic, only with proper multiplayer and different content.

Well, it is leagues behind in term of animations, visuals and audio. Not only does it feel like a game of the last decade it also is far from the sort of quality I’d expect from professionals.

That game, in my humble opinion, simply feels like a big amateurish total conversion mod of some other game.

• KDR_11k says:

From what the devs said that’s what they wanted to make (explicitly referenced Space Marine’s multiplayer), except with more players. And microtransactions, evidently. Why is the game 50€ when it looks like an F2P game inside?

• haldolium says:

What makes all Relic games special, and even makes Space Marine kind of a playable game despite its many flaws, is sound design.

Sound is so damn powerful and if you fuck it up, it doesn’t matter how many millions you’ve sunken into other parts of the game. But if you do it right, it might make people overlook – or for the sake of the enjoyment of audio representation ignore – minor to major issues.

When I watched the trailer, there was nothing. Left that exact impression of a “big amateurish total conversion mod”

4. Danarchist says:

I have been dreaming of a full on squad based RPG version of 40k for awhile. Something similar in mechanics to Divinity original sin or Wasteland 2. Regrettably dude-bro’s seem to be what everyone is aiming to attract so it will probably be the year 40,000 before we see one.
    BTW I starting stalking the forums for this game to see what people were saying when I was still interested. The community is horrible. I saw actual threats posted against people that were angry the PVE was a shell of what was promised.

• Sizeable Dirk says:

What Warhammer fan would ever want something slow paced, complex or even requiring patience? Madness! 🙀

• Danarchist says:

One that basically wants the books mooshed in with the table top game in a form that doesn’t require a basement full of terrain and miniatures so his wife doesn’t leave him =P

• Darth Gangrel says:

There are lots of Warhammer games, but I’m not a fan of strategy games or multiplayer, so the only one I’ve been eyeing is Space Marine. An RPG would great, I mostly play RPG and FPS games.

5. Walsh says:

Game is weird and broken. It seems like half my shots don’t register. Then some Painboy Ork runs after and instakills my Marine in hand to hand. Meanwhile all of my melee attacks get countered somehow (I don’t see any animation that shows me what happened) then my marine is stunlocked and murdered. The ‘tutorial’ level is horrible. I’m so close to requesting a refund but I love 40k.

6. Vermintide says:

I want to buy this, because I’m one of those (apparently few) who thought Space Marine was the best multiplayer game in years.

The only thing is I have this horrible feeling that all the customisation options will be locked out behind questionable unlocking requirements, or worse, the dreaded cash shop (I see that you can buy credits on the steam page.) That will pretty much be a deal breaker for me, because it isn’t Warhammer unless you can dress up in whatever colour scheme you want and a FUCKING BEAKY HELMET.

I’ll be grateful if anyone can clarify the situation here for me, ta.

• Danarchist says:

My understanding is there are some unlocks you can earn, and allot more are “pay2spray”.

• Afro says:

It’s wrong that it’s pay2win. The pay weapons are reskins, I think just a couple of them have special stats. The regular weapons with modifications you unlock in lootboxes are better, also f.ex mastercrafted weapons(which atm just have regular stats, because, released too soon). It’s pretty quick, 2 days of playing and I’ve pimped out most of the classes I enjoy playing so far.

The game is rushed, balance is screwed, but it is still pretty fun now and then. Sneaking up on a stupid mon’keigh with a invisible striking scorpion is awesome. Rushing a chaos marine with my storm shield and giving him a power axe to the face is awesome. I hope they get more time to polish things.

• j5mello says:

Most of customization options for your player character (like the Beaky) are locked behind a pay gate. There are loot crates you can get with earned credits, but I’m unsure if they contain any cosmetics.
      Also, you can’t freely switch your color scheme as they have tied it to player creation i.e. you pick a Space Wolf, your always Space Wolf Grey/Blue. This applies to all the Factions AFAIK.
      As far as purchasable weapons, its mostly pay-to-not-grind. You can buy a premium Plasma Cannon which is slightly better statwise than the standard one. However the Premium weapons can’t equip any weapon mods (like scopes); so you’re stuck with whatever they have.

7. aircool says:

Someone call the Apothecary so he can use his Carnifex* to administer the Emperor’s Peace.

*Can you remember that far back?

• NetharSpinos says:

Are you implying that Apothecaries used to wield Carnifexes? What unholy edition what that madness spawned from?

• NetharSpinos says:

*did, not what.

I am taunted once more by the lack of an edit function.

• Archonsod says:

Rogue Trader. Back then the only Carnifex was a gun used by Apothecaries to put a wounded marine out of their misery. You didn’t really have nids – Genestealers were in there (looking more like Termagants than the modern version, and described as hailing from one of the moons of Ymgarl, which I believe was a Lovecraft reference). Tyrannids turned up shortly after Space Crusade as a lift of the Zoats from Fantasy (in fact a direct lift, being back in the day when there wasn’t that mysterious dividing line between fantasy and sci-fi, and GW were happy to nick a trick from Moorcock), the modern version, along with the Carnifex as a big screaming gribbly, weren’t around until 2nd edition by which point the apothecary borne carnifex had vanished (although I’ve always thought the re-use of the name was deliberate; both are after all quite adept at putting Space Marines out of their misery and Priestly did enjoy his in-jokes).

8. grve says:

9. April March says:

Best/worst/burst headline pun yet, Alice.

10. Silent_Thunder says:

I wish I could find it, but I remember in a devlog awhile back (May/Junish IIRC) they said, in more diplomatic words mind you, without technically saying it out loud: “Bandai said to release it by October or else”. No surprises here then.

11. fwiffo29 says:

When did it become acceptable to review a game without actually playing it? The whole first paragraph should have been left out.

Yea there are some bugs, but far fewer than any Elder Scrolls Bethesda title.

I am rather enjoying the game.

12. Jahf says:

Pointless comparison. Elder Scrolls:

* Not multiplayer (at least the ones I’ve played), so bugs and imbalance don’t destroy gameplay throughout

* Tend to get patched solidly and quickly (not the track record of those publisher/developer).

* No microtransactions, the opposite, open mod community

* Tend to deliver on gameplay promises.

Comment on this story