Everyone’s favourite block-based build-em-up contines to grow, like an unstoppable monster. A few months ago we saw polar bears introduced to Minecraft as well as underground fossils. Before that, the combat update brought skeleton riders and creepy block-mimicking creatures called Shulkers. Now Mojang has added the exploration update which adds llamas that can carry inventory and a very useful magic box.
The llamas live in mountain regions and can be equipped with your items and a piece of carpet to look snazzy. Not only will they follow you on their travels, they’ll also form a “caravan” if there’s more than one, and spit globs at any hostile mobs you meet, allowing you to transport items over large distances. The ‘Shulker box’ meanwhile is something that even I – as someone who hasn’t played Minecraft in years – think is pretty nifty. It’s a container that keeps all your items inside even when it is knocked down. No more busting up your chest and watching all the coal spill out, like coins out of a Sonic.
You’ll also find a new villager character called the cartographer, who will sell maps that lead to Ocean Monuments (the game’s already-existing underwater ruins that house treasure) but also to newly-introduced Woodland Mansions, a building deep in the woods that contains “Illigers” – hostile, winged mobs who spawn tiny flying versions of themselves and who are guarding their own treasures.
Here’s the full changelog, including bug fixes:
Added cursed enchantments
- Added the Observer block
- Added escape portals in The End
- Added the Shulker Shell and Shulker Box
- Added exploration maps
- Added the Woodland Mansion
- Added Illagers, and the Vex
- Added Llamas
- New command: /locate
- Removed Herobrine
Bugs fixed in 16w39a:
- [Bug MC-58677] – GUI has inconsistent capitalization
- [Bug MC-92139] – Too many tipped arrows in the “Combat” section of the creative inventory
- [Bug MC-106077] – Missing sound files (largeblast1.ogg / largeblast_far1.ogg) because of CamelCase in 1.11.json
- [Bug MC-107154] – Junk potion from fishing is uncraftable potion
- [Bug MC-107165] – Brewing icon displays the incorrect color in Creative inventory tab
- [Bug MC-107166] – Experience bottles produce pink particles.
- [Bug MC-107170] – writeString method of PacketBuffer is not creating correct exception text
- [Bug MC-107284] – disabling shields with axes doesn’t work
- [Bug MC-107320] – Sort order of command autocomplete confusing
So there you have it. Llamas, baddies, maps, boxes. What will they think of next? My bet is on super-rich Minotaurs, guarding emeralds and buckets of delicious fried chicken at the centre of rare, procedurally generated mazes. What do you reckon?