Minecraft 1.11 Brings Llamas & Magic Inventory Boxes

Everyone’s favourite block-based build-em-up contines to grow, like an unstoppable monster. A few months ago we saw polar bears introduced to Minecraft as well as underground fossils. Before that, the combat update brought skeleton riders and creepy block-mimicking creatures called Shulkers. Now Mojang has added the exploration update which adds llamas that can carry inventory and a very useful magic box.

The llamas live in mountain regions and can be equipped with your items and a piece of carpet to look snazzy. Not only will they follow you on their travels, they’ll also form a “caravan” if there’s more than one, and spit globs at any hostile mobs you meet, allowing you to transport items over large distances. The ‘Shulker box’ meanwhile is something that even I – as someone who hasn’t played Minecraft in years – think is pretty nifty. It’s a container that keeps all your items inside even when it is knocked down. No more busting up your chest and watching all the coal spill out, like coins out of a Sonic.

You’ll also find a new villager character called the cartographer, who will sell maps that lead to Ocean Monuments (the game’s already-existing underwater ruins that house treasure) but also to newly-introduced Woodland Mansions, a building deep in the woods that contains “Illigers” – hostile, winged mobs who spawn tiny flying versions of themselves and who are guarding their own treasures.

Here’s the full changelog, including bug fixes:

Added cursed enchantments

• Added the Observer block
  • Added escape portals in The End
  • Added the Shulker Shell and Shulker Box
  • Added exploration maps
  • Added the Woodland Mansion
  • Added Illagers, and the Vex
  • Added Llamas
  • New command: /locate
  • Removed Herobrine

Bugs fixed in 16w39a:

• [Bug MC-58677] – GUI has inconsistent capitalization
  • [Bug MC-92139] – Too many tipped arrows in the “Combat” section of the creative inventory
  • [Bug MC-106077] – Missing sound files (largeblast1.ogg / largeblast_far1.ogg) because of CamelCase in 1.11.json
  • [Bug MC-107154] – Junk potion from fishing is uncraftable potion
  • [Bug MC-107165] – Brewing icon displays the incorrect color in Creative inventory tab
  • [Bug MC-107166] – Experience bottles produce pink particles.
  • [Bug MC-107170] – writeString method of PacketBuffer is not creating correct exception text
  • [Bug MC-107284] – disabling shields with axes doesn’t work
  • [Bug MC-107320] – Sort order of command autocomplete confusing

So there you have it. Llamas, baddies, maps, boxes. What will they think of next? My bet is on super-rich Minotaurs, guarding emeralds and buckets of delicious fried chicken at the centre of rare, procedurally generated mazes. What do you reckon?

From this site

1. Drib says:

Neat that they’re continuing to add things. Weird that most modpacks still linger on 1.7.0.

But also I find it odd Microsoft lets them keep ‘removed herobrine’ in all the patch notes.

• JarinArenos says:

I’m curious whether it’s a substantive change after that version that made modding harder… or just a “the community dislikes change” situation.

• Marr says:

There were a lot of changes under the hood in 1.8, and it’s created a natural sticking point where most popular mod packs have a core of a dozen or so interdependent mods and can’t move on until all of them have updated.

• Neurotic says:

This is the simplest and best explanation. 1.8 is still a huge speed-bump to ‘just’ updating <1.7 mods.

• Jabberslops says:

There are many great mods that will never be on the newest Minecraft versions for various reasons, but basically part of the modding community is not interested, are too lazy or do not have time to update their mods.

I tried to make my own FTB or Tekkit style modpack for a 1.10 server and discovered that quite a few mods used in the most popular modpacks from the At Luncher, Feed the Beast and Technic Launcher do not have updates to some of the most popular 1.7.10 mods. FTB Unstable for 1.10 is pretty much the closest you will get to the 1.7.10 modpacks.

The FTB team working on their Unstable build for 1.10 don’t give support for it and there are no server files, so you end up with a situation where very few people are actually playing the updated versions of the most popular mods. The only way to fix this is to get more people playing updated mods in the most popular modpacks with server files and support. Until that happens, it seems most people will be sticking to 1.7.10 mods/modpacks in a self defeating cycle.

• Marr says:

It doesn’t help that there’s no real ‘Killer App’ in vanilla Minecraft to drive players forward from the now very stable and full-featured selection of 1.7.10 mods. Mods have had pack animals and magic boxes for years, and the Ruins Structure Spawning System adds expandable modular dungeon and town generation with far more exploration value than a couple of new temples and mansions.

• CMaster says:

Yeah. I think a big chunk of the issue there is that there’s very little added in Minecraft (for a long while) that isn’t vastly eclipsed by the additions of mods. As 1.7 was pretty stable, and has a well established mod base, there’s little reason to carry on keeping up with MC core, especially as Mojang seem completely unwilling to provide a stable API for modders to work with.

• Marr says:

• klownk says:

You call that “adding things”? 3 pets and an item?

• April March says:

*Checks dictionary*
        That does match the definition for ‘adding things’.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Hey everyone, gather round! I just found “that guy”! Isn’t it incredible to see them in their natural habitat?

• Chairman_Meow says:

*points and laughs, with mouth full of food*
          That guy!

2. Doubler says:

My proudest Minecraft moment remains building a giant llama out of wool. Llamas make everything better :P

3. AceJohnny says:

Hm. Honestly I’ve stopped really following Vanilla Minecraft a long time ago. Basically, I look at each new release note thinking “Have they finally added proper modder API? Nope.” and go back to whatever mod-of-the-month I’m playing. The modding community is immensely richer than anything Mojang-now-Microsoft can provide us. Really, Minecraft is more valuable as a platform for mods than as a game in and of itself, and when Microsoft finally manages to realize this potential will they have a chance of making their $2B purchase worth it.

It’s worth noting that Steam-favorite game Factorio was started by a Minecraft techmod afficionado who was rejected by Mojang (it happens). I love tech mods that add automation and more complex item flows than “mine ore – smelter – craft items”, and the popularity of these mods and ever-evolving scene show I’m far from alone.

My latest interest was Botania, a tech/magic mod with some really interesting design decisions related to minimal world modification, letting the player learn the mechanics, preventing hyper-optimization, and yet requiring exponential (factorial!) building complexity to reach the more advanced tiers. As with the best of these designs, your biggest enemy is yourself (ok, actually: managing complexity).

Botania depends on Minecraft 1.9, now two major versions behind.

• Chairman_Meow says:

They’ve made the 2 billion back, and then some. I couldn’t believe it either, but I think they passed break even months ago.

4. KFee says:

I still can’t explain why people love this ugly pos game

• Marr says:

There’s mods, communities, youtube celebrities, but at its core Minecraft was the first game to do first person virtual LEGO and get the basic interface exactly right. There is no more intuitive block building game out there, and people love building things from blocks.

• Scurra says:

I’m currently playing it a few times a year with my nephew and I continue to be surprised at how elegantly simple it is, so that when I come back after time away, I pick it all back up again really fast. Sure you get annoyed by the lack of precision and the weirdness of scale because of the single unit blocks, but on the other hand, nothing gets in the way.

• Marr says:

I think the one meter block standard helps a lot with immersion and scale, you can look out over a mountain range or distant desert temple and get an immediate sense of the distance and sizes of everything. The whole world is constructed of uniform Banana for Scale.

• fish99 says:

It’s fun maybe?

• CMaster says:

It’s the best MMO out there (in terms of living up to the original promise of MMOs)

• klops says:

I still can’t explain why people censor their swearing if they want to swear. If “shit” is too strong a word to use, why do you use it?

5. criskywalker says:

Every single game should have llamas.

6. wykydtronik says:

Time to update the MC server… I love playing with new features on vanilla!

7. engion3 says:

Hmm, never heard of this game.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Me neither. I gather from the name that mining and crafting is involved.

• Chairman_Meow says:

Oddly enough it seems to be a game almost wholly concerned with punching trees.

8. racccoon says:

Really love to play this game every week its is the most craziest fun! A thing that bothers me is all these great mods but the devs have never really implemented much of any of them. There is a lot of things they could add but I can’t understand why they haven’t.
    & so its back to modding and back to using old versions for your servers.
    Its kind of shame most devs never really look at the people and what they have changed in a game, as this is the clues of what is needed in gaming.

9. Somerled says:

So Mojang continues the practice of modding Minecraft, but in a way that’s still incompatible with all other Minecraft mods. Good show.

10. DrZhark says:

Damn, I haven’t even finished updating my mod to 1.10 and now 1.11 is on the horizon. I feel like I have a second full time job now. :(

11. Chaz says:

And yet the game still runs like complete crap on an i7, 980Ti and 16GB RAM because java sucks.

The Win 10 version which runs great is still years behind the regular version in the updates. Well, I guess it is still tagged as Minecraft Win 10 “beta”. Quite why that should be taking so long when everything is already there in the other version I don’t know.

What amazes me is how slowly all this stuff is happening for a game that was bought out for over $2 billion. For all that cash it still feels as if there’s just one guy still working on it in a small office in Sweden somewhere.