Call of Duty: WW2 trailer shows off, y’know, WW2 stuff

A month after word of its existence leaked, today we have our first peek at Call of Duty: WW2 [official site]. At a livestreamed mega-reveal-o-world-first-a-exclusive-y-shoot-o-bang-a-blowout, developers Sledgehammer Games and publishers Activision have shown the first trailer. It looks pretty fun! Has all those scenes from the WW2 movies. Lots of explosions and shouting. The event is still ongoing but seems mostly to consist of men saying “visceral” and pretending the game is serious historical documentation. I can’t take this anymore. Look, I’ll drop this trailer here then be on my way.

It is a fancy trailer.

Here’s your official blurb on the story:

“Call of Duty: WWII focuses on the actions of a squad from 1944 to 1945, but will also touch on events from 1940 to 1944 to help set the stage for the narrative and establish the characters. It takes place in the European theater of conflict, at a time when the Allied forces were finally starting to gather strength on their march into Germany. You and your squad will fight your way through occupied France, Belgium, and across the Rhine into Germany.”

Apparently it’ll occasionally peer through the eyes of other folks, including a woman in the French resistance.

As for multiplayer, it’ll bring a new asymmetric map-capturing mode, a new custom class system, a virtual social space to hang out with the lads, and a new co-op mode with Nazi Frankensteins or something.

Look at this car park for lads to hang around:

And this Frankenstein’s dad:

Go read the announcement or VG247’s preview or oh god this livestream is too much. Brendan says he’s counted six instances of “visceral” so far. Enough.

The game’s due November 3rd on Steam.

1. Biggus_Dikkus says:

Do you know private Beta?

• Xocrates says:

Didn’t he work for General specific, alongside Private Public?

Wasn’t he some sort of ranting swede?

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Gneh, I’ll just wait for the Major Beta, thanks.

• dangermouse76 says:

It’s one major disaster running this operation.

Nauallis says:

The root of the problem is a rotten colonel. The whole system depends on that guy.

• dahools says:

Major Overhaul will pick up the pieces with some post launch DLC if it flops due to Private Beta’s field test report.

• shde2e says:

Just don’t let captain Obvious get his hands on that report. We’ll be here all day.

• Comco says:

I think I’m just going to wait for General Release to turn up.

2. OpT1mUs says:

Meh.

• Raoul Duke says:

Looks supremely generic, doesn’t it?

“Exciting” quick time-esque events with buildings/vehicles smashing around you… meh. Getting to occasionally man big guns for set pieces… meh. Sassy sass soldiers with excessive sass mouth and lots of faux “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!” emotional yelling… meh.

Hopefully the actual gameplay is good, at least. It’s a good setting and a bit less morally ambiguous than most eras of warfare.

3. acespade22 says:

Been waiting a long time for them to return to World War II looks fantastic day one purchase for me. Can’t wait to see World War II rendered with today’s technology looking forward to this one

• Tanngnjost says:

I’m going to preorder and gain access to the private beta.

• General Advice Bot says:

Never preorder.

• unacom says:

In military circles, issuing orders before your enemy does so is regarded as good practice, I´m told. So PRE-ordering would seem to be some kind of a prerequisite for these games.

4. wcq says:

Call me slow, but I still haven’t fully recovered from the worldwarocalypse of the noughties. Really can’t summon much enthusiasm for this one.

FhnuZoag says:

What a pathetically unambitious product. Remastering CoD1 would have been more interesting than this.

• Siimon says:

Fully agreed. The animations, especially ones where control is taken from the player, seemed so incredibly familiar. This isn’t CoD1/2, this is CoD:BO4:The WW2 Skin

• SanguineAngel says:

That’s exactly what I got from the trailer too. It just follows the exact modern CoD formula for Hype Trailer it’s almost pathetic to watch.

6. Barberetti says:

Yes yes yes, but what about the answer to the most important question!

What happens when you press F?

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Better yet, what about F, U, B, A, R?

• Fnord73 says:

You have to press the buttons S. N. A. F. U. in quick succession in the quicktime-event afterwards. Then you get to save just one Jew, while you leave everybody else behind beacuse of mission structure.

7. Doomlord says:

::: tumbleweeds roll by, somewhere a lonely old shutter bangs forlornly on squeaky hinges, a mournful reminder that no one cares ::::

8. Winstons says:

This makes me almost nostalgic for the WW2 FPS overload days of the mid-2000s! The best thing about this game coming out is that it hopefully means we’ll get a Battlefield WW2 down the line at some point, which I would play the ever-loving crap out of. SCHNELL SCHNELL!

Also I think developer’s are really missing a trick by not having a proper SP campaign from a German perspective, imagine how interesting that would be. It’s never really been tackled. Lots of interesting morale questions there you could pose and loads of interesting scenarios obviously, everything from the Fall of France right up to playing as Fallschirmjager at Arnhem.

9. Von Uber says:

I’m shocked, absolutely shocked I tell you, that yet again my history books are wrong and it appears that world war 2 actually started eith the American invasion of France in 1944!

So many stories you could tell, yet here we are yet again. Meh.

• Fnord73 says:

I hope all thse russians at least got paid for being filler-ins.

• Hednar says:

This! It’s so worn out. I don’t know why they went for this setup again. The graphics look awesome. But thats about it. The story? F**** this story. Told over and over again.

10. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

So, WW2 FPSes are still just trying to recreate that scene from Saving Private Ryan then?

• wcq says:

Well, what else is there to depicting the bloodiest conflict in human history than endlessly recreating Omaha beach?

I can’t think of anything.

• PiiSmith says:

D-Day: less than 20.000 (link to ddaymuseum.co.uk)

Battle of Gettysburg (Something near and dear for the Americans, who have some strange fascination with D-Day): 46.000 to 51.000 over 3 days.

I am no historian and I have no big overview about casualties in different battles, but I believe that there have been worse battles for sure, but none of them as romanticized by American culture.

• unacom says:

Peleliu, Iwo Jima, Okinawa, Falaise Pocket, Anzio,…

Come to think of it, there´s a pattern to be found.
          If I were to put a name on it, I might use “Americanism”.
          The depiction of WWII might greatly profit if developers were to recognize that (most) players (probably) do not look for the heroic deeds of “their team”, but for the development and denouement of human tragedy.
          To name a case from a different art: “Das Boot” is said to have moved american viewers to tears who had, at first, cheered every depth charge that shook the boat and its crew.

• Electryc03 says:

Then you would have another guy who would be like, “I can’t believe they didn’t include D-Day in this campaign! What were they thinking?!?”.

11. Monggerel says:

So is this the one where they change up the formula by introducing eldritch deities from beyond the realms of dream and the game switches halfway through into an open world post-apocalypse-em-up?

Alrite, I can get behind that.

• Fnord73 says:

Oh, a game where Hitlers final weapon tuns out to be an eldritch god! Im firmly behind that, has that been done? Its a brill gametemplate, actually.

• Turkey says:

Why would Hitler bother raising an eldritch god when he could resurrect a Gothic Rob Zombie instead?

• unacom says:

Maybe because controlling an eldritch god is a piece of cake in contrast to controlling the Rob?

phuzz says:

Wouldn’t that make it a Wolfenstine game?
      (That would be a good thing imo)

12. Dezztroy says:

Those Ju-87s firing their 37mms like they’re machineguns (and against infantry no less!) triggered me hard

• Winstons says:

I know right?! Even if they were Kannoinvogel variants why the hell aren’t they shooting at armour instead.

13. Suits says:

I might actually play Call of Duty again, I’m just a sucker for WW2 theme.

14. Turkey says:

As a veteran who’s been through the Normandy invasion twice on the American side and once as a German, I find it slightly offensive that someone would take my real-life experiences and turn them into entertainment.

Kids today don’t know what it was like. Hearing bullet.wav whiz past your earphones as you trigger the flag that activates the death of another mud-textured comrade.

One slip of mb1 and you’d have to start the invasion all over again, unless you were one of the lucky few who remembered to quicksave.

• Winstons says:

I liked this

• shde2e says:

There was a CoD game in which you could play the germans?
      Where do I need to throw my wallet to get that?

• Turkey says:

Nah. I cheated. I mixed in some Battlefield. Sorry.

• Winstons says:

I can’t think of an FPS that let’s you play on the Axis side, but there is a single player campaign playing as the German Heer (to be specific, the Panzer Lehr division) in the rather brilliant RTS game Company of Heroes (in the Opposing Fronts expansion pack, to the first game from 2006).

• unacom says:

Yes. I remember. It wasn´t bad. However the German campaigns in Sudden Strike, Combat Mission and even Blitzkrieg were more to my liking.
          I think a german campaign in an FPS is still regarded as some kind of a bête noire/public relations disaster in the making and should rightly be tried very very carefully. I would very much like to play a good Axis-based FPS. However I do think it might turn out extremely bad if a publisher were to treat the underlying story in a ham-fisted way, thus offending feelings of parties that dont treat a computer game as “just a game” or -worse- cater to a neo-nazi fanbase. That should be avoided at all cost.

• teethslapper says:

You never played DoD? It was exclusively multiplayer but you could still play as, zee Germans.

15. Nurdbot says:

You mean Doctor Frankenstein’s Monster right?

Also, chances are I won’t get it unless discounted. The D-Day campaign looks cliched as hell and I am more interested in the stuff the previous WW2 games haven’t covered before. But I guess that isn’t marketable to talk about right now.

16. Vandelay says:

From Dictionary.com

Visceral – adjective
    1. of or relating to the viscera.
    2. affecting the viscera.
    3. of the nature of or resembling viscera.
    4. characterized by or proceeding from instinct rather than intellect.
    5. characterized by or dealing with coarse or base emotions; earthy; crude

I fully expect this game to be all these things.

17. Rizlar says:

Best alt text ever.

18. aircool says:

I’m waiting for the trailer where they get into a firefight and start spamming ADAD before quickscoping a headshot and shouting EZ PZ!!!

19. celticdr says:

What I got from this trailer: Explosion, cliché, cliché, inappropriate use of a Stuka, explosion, cliché, shaky-cam, and enough cut-scenes to not need to play the game… looks like the modern CoD on-rails experience continues… they could have done something good (and slightly historically accurate) with this but I guess the cojones are small at Activision.

20. Numerical says:

Call of Duty…Call of Duty never changes.

21. WJonathan says:

Visceral…one of those words I’d like to see banned from video games promotion and journalism for around 10 years. Along with “iteration” and “gritty” and a few others.

22. Deccan says:

That’s an awfully tone-deaf and inappropriate use of Gorecki’s 3rd Symphony, too.

goodpoints says:

But as we have learned from Kubrick, Shutter Island, Gravity, etc….20th century composers = spooky ooky! the horror! the horror!

(nice catch)

23. Janichsan says:

I take from this trailer that the game is everything that was wrong with the past incarnations of CoD with a WWII skin.

Benratha says:

So WW2 starts at D-day now? Makes you wonder what was going on from 1939…
    Minor scuffle 1.5?

25. c-Row says:

Not including a single German as usual I suppose.

particlese says:

o_o
    Woah, that blurb was entirely devoid of useless adjectives. How did that— Never mind, my upmost respects to whoever wrote that and got it past Marketing.

F