SteamWorld Dig 2 is burrowing its way onto PC

Platformer mine-’em-up SteamWorld Dig 2 [official site] was announced way back in February for the Nintendo Switch, but it’s going to be heading to PC, too, and unlike its predecessor it’ll arrive “within a few days of the Nintendo Switch debut.”

Here’s the old Nintendo Switch announcement trailer, in case you didn’t see it:

The official announcement explains that SteamWorld Dig 2 will come to Steam and other platforms in “late summer/early fall 2017.” Apparently the game is “pretty much finished now,” but developers Image & Form will use the remaining months for polish.

I never got around to putting more than an hour into the original, lamentably, despite it sitting on my 3DS for a good long time. John thought it was pretty spiffy though when it came to PC. From his review:

It remains a joy. It’s calming, pleasurable, cute and tricky. It’s Spelunky for people who don’t like restarting all the time. But it’s also its own distinct notion, with its focus on progression over difficulty. SteamWorld Dig is a really lovely, very fun time. What a great thing for a game to be.

I did put a lot of time into its space-y spin-off, SteamWorld Heist, however, and gosh is it lovely. Breaking into bot-infested spaceships and making off with lots of loot and scrap is plenty of fun, but it’s the smart, tactical combat that got its hooks into me.

SteamWorld Dig 2 is more concerned with rummaging around below the ground in search of treasure. It’s all about going as deep as you can, filling your sack with minerals and gems, before legging it back to the safety of the surface.

1. Landiss says:

Oooh, nice. It looks a little like Steamworld meets Spelunky. Can’t wait.

BTW, RPS, could you please stop doubting my humanity?

• Ghostwise says:

It’s crazy how many turtles end up on their back in the middle of a desert, these days.

2. ropeladder says:

From John’s review of the original: So in the end, when I look at it, the game really is about digging for jewels, selling them, then digging for more jewels. And yet it never, ever feels like that as I’m playing.

For me, that was basically all it ever felt like. I will probably skip the sequel.

3. Freud says:

I enjoyed Steamworld Dig quite a bit. It knew how to keep things interesting and knew not to overstay it’s welcome. It didn’t overdo it with having players having to go back to old areas with new tools, like some games with light metroidvania mechanics tend to do.

The digging, climbing and jumping mechanics were spot on. Very important for games like these where it’s basically all you do.

Neurotic says:

Dig is an absolutely fantastic, treasure of a game. Definitely in my top 10 of the 2010s.

syllopsium says:

Dig on the 3DS was stunning – lovely visuals, really tight gameplay, finished it at least twice.

I’m not seeing a lot in the sequel that wasn’t in the original though, it currently looks more like ‘Dig comes to the Switch in a higher resolution’. They’ll have to do better than that for people that have played the first game.

AceJohnny says:

Steamworld Dig was fun enough, and I’m looking forward to its sequel.

But for me the sleeper hit was Steamworld Heist, which was basically a nicer, friendlier, but still interesting XCOM-like. In fact, its iOS version was my favurite mobile game… ever? I’m really hoping there’ll be a sequel to that as well.

7. syndrome says:

I find the original Dig a much better game than Heist, overall.

SW Heist is a good game, but Dig is a jewel in terms of how exactly everything is woven together. Gameplay-wise, if it had to be summarized, it’s a sublime implementation of the so-called incremental click mechanics, although with digging instead of clicking, where you choose where exactly to click and move around freely, and thus solve the world as if it were a gravity maze with dynamic walls, and picking up loot along the way.

Or, put differently, it’s the same game as Vlambeer’s Ridiculous Fishing, although a mine-digging platformer on the surface, with the sandbox-improving upgrades in between the free-form tasks (that generally unlock more of the world map), wrapped inside a pleasing and imaginative narrative.

I also love their rich vector art style.