Noita is a roguelite that physically simulates everything

noita

Just the other day, I was complaining that there aren’t enough games with awesome fluid physics. Imagine, I shouted to a pub full of strangers, imagine if somebody took all the lovely fluid physics from Pixeljunk Shooter and stuffed them into a procedurally generated roguelike.

Well, Olli Harjola the creator of clever clone-wrangler The Swapper must have been in that pub because today he sent along news of Noita [official site], a procedurally generated roguelike in which “every pixel is physically simulated”. It looks absolutely fantastic, as you’ll see below.

It’s hard to describe how pleased I was when I watched that trailer. At first I figured it was a puzzle-platformer with some mostly-scripted physics sequences because I didn’t really believe that every pixel would be physically simulated. And then that bit with the big tank of green liquid happened and I paused, read the press release, then watched the trailer from the beginning again.

I find this sort of tech usage far more exciting than all the powerful code-crunching in massive open world games. When I wrote about the old Bullfrog game Flood recently, I suggested that its watery mechanic blended with Spelunky would probably be one of my favourite games. I didn’t know Noita existed at the time, and now I’m extremely excited to see more.

This is a reveal trailer so we might be waiting a while for more details and I’m going to find it hard to pass the days until a playable version is in my hands, but I think it’s OK to get excited so let’s all get excited together. Yay!

Olli is working with Petri Purho, developer of Crayon Physics Deluxe, and Arvi ‘Hempuli’ Teikari who made the lovely Environmental Station Alpha.

1. Xerophyte says:

So, it’s a Liero roguelike, I guess? That could be pretty damned awesome. It could also devolve into every level being broken by abusing some appropriate digging implement, so fingers crossed.

Don Reba says:

That’s Earliest Access at work.

sylmarien says:

Damn that looks awesome. I also want more physics in all games so I will follow this one.

4. noodlecake says:

This looks amazing. Colour me interested.

5. gpown says:

WHYYY ROGUELIKE WHY

I mean: what’s the point of permadeath in a game with amazing physics that you want to experiment with and will most probably murder yourself with? Say you encounter a new mechanic late in a run, will you fool around with it? No, you’ll be crushed by the stressful possibility of failure. Make it a soulslike, make it difficult, whatever, but don’t punish me with wasted real-life time if I goof out…

duns4t says:

this exactly. it looks lovely but as soon as i watched physics play out i cringed a little knowing i would hesitate to fully experiment with systems knowing it could result in permadeath.

• p2mc28 says:

Well it does specifically say “roguelite” which I’ve come to define in the same vein as things like Rogue Legacy and Everspace rather than the likes of Crypt of the Necrodancer, Binding of Isaac, or Dead Cells. Meaning – your character becomes straight up stronger and stronger after various runs, rather than starting at the same exact point each new life.

It will likely come down a lot on how long it is expected for you to complete a game. In Dead Souls, one individual run will take many, many hours. In Binding of Isaac, you can complete half a dozen runs in a single day.

• NailBombed says:

Dead Souls? Is that the roguelite inspired by Joy Division? Do they keep caaaaaaling you?

• Kaeoschassis says:

The genre is clearly not for you if that question is anything to go by. Which is fine. To me, a roguelike framework is EXACTLY the place where fancy physics and other things that encourage and reward experimentation are most at home. I find experimenting with such things far more fun when there are major consequences, and I find I learn from experiences and mistakes far better that way too.

Your mileage may vary. There are plenty of non-permadeath games out there too. Although I will confess, less which focus on physical simulation, and that IS a shame, so I feel for you there.

• thelastpointer says:

Strangely, I think that permadeath games with quick respawn lend themselves to experimentation better because you’re not as attached to your character (and inventory). Procgen (does this game have procgen?) also means that you have different combinations of things to experiment with.

Not controlled experiments, sure, but that’s part of the fun.

6. Synesthesia says:

This reminds me of cortex command. I really wanted to like that one, too. Maybe this one will hit the mark.

• Alex says:

Loved cortex command. Despite the vision never really coming together the core physics was immensely enjoyable. I most enjoyed attempting random challenges with my brother. Such as survive the debris of two extremely fast moving colliding dropships.

I like noita made a reference to the falling sand games in their engine.

• KDR_11k says:

Yeah, applying too much physics to games just tends to make them suck. You can move much more freely in real life than in a game and you get more sensory feedback so you can cope with the physical challenges much better (e.g. you can feel when your foot touches the ground and how your weight has to shift…). Then there’s the general inaccuracy of game physics that just compounds the more objects are involved….

• DarkFenix says:

Exactly what I thought of when I saw this. But this one seems more intent on putting fun into the system, Cortex Command seemed satisfied with simulating dirt particles.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Just because I love seeing people have fun and hate thinking that you might miss out – if you haven’t played Cortex Command in a long time I heartily recommend you go back. The devs haven’t really fixed or improved much, but the community absolutely have. The game runs much more smoothly (and if it still lags, the imprecise collision detection option fixes that even on ancient laptops like mine), there are way more options and tweaks, more maps and gamemodes, etc.
      Where it really comes together is through mods though. There are tons of them, and many are really tremendous fun. If you were one of those (like myself, honestly) who felt that the game was just too directionless, Unmapped Lands is particularly good in that it’s basically a more interesting and feature-rich campaign. But there’s all sorts of cool stuff out there to try, either way.
      Basically the game failed as a game, but it’s since succeeded pretty brilliantly as a toybox for the community. If you already own it anyway, no harm in trying it again, right?

Of course, I mainly play it together with my brother, and that tends to make everything better, so I might be slightly biased.

7. Person of Interest says:

The developer pedigree for this game is incredible: they’re perfectly suited for it. I have really high hopes.

8. csbear says:

Looks gorgeous. However, ugh, procedurally generated. Oh well, that’s the rougelite way. Still, I am very interested in this!

• csbear says:

Rougelike*. I hate Mondays..

• Deadly Habit says:

You were right the first time with roguelite. One of the key factors of being a roguelike is turn based gameplay for starters.

9. Spacewalk says:

Is it a lite version of Rogue though? I don’t remember Rogue playing anything like the Powder Toy.

10. caff says:

Looks really nice.

Don Reba says:

Wanting to make things like this was pretty much the reason I learned programming 20 years ago. Not a game other people would play, necessarily, but little 2d physics experiments.

12. noom says:

Had to think for a moment of what all that pixelly liquid reminded me of, then remembered it was Wings. That game kept me and my friends entertained for a while back in the late 90s.

• Muzzler says:

Wings crossed my mind too, and since someone commented on it I had to make an account just to chime in. It and other 2D split-screen fighter games were all the rage at some point. Now is there a way to get my soul back?

(Also, I’ve no idea if I’m replying to the right post. -e: got it)

Harlander says:

I’m perpetually mildly saddened by the vanishment of the caveflier genre.

13. April March says:

I dunno. It feels like they played one of those pixel toys, that has like water boil or moss grow on wet wood, and thought: this needs a game framework! And I don’t thing it does, not really.

14. that_guy_strife says:

LIQUID WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARS !!!

Dorga says:

why there is no love in the world for Catacomb Kids? Why?!

16. skyturnedred says:

Noita is Finnish for ‘witch’ for anyone curious what the title means.

JiminyJickers says:

That does look rather excellent. I’m keen!

Otamono says:

YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When, why not now, why. I need to see more recommendations from Adam, we seem to be alike.

19. stringerdell says:

Holy shit I need this. I hate early access but will buy the earliest of access if need be

20. goodgeorge says:

This looks sweet. I just hope that there is an actual good game there too and not just pretty pixel art and impressive physics.

• Catterbatter says:

Crayon Physics, Swapper, ESA… If these devs make a game that’s just no good it would have to be a fluke. We should all be getting excited for Noita.

• goodgeorge says:

The merits are definitely there, yes. Especially Swapper was an amazing game.

21. vahnn says: