Skaven tunnel into Total War: Warhammer 2

The Skaven ratmen are seen as rumour, hearsay, or heresy in the world of Warhammer. Who’d believe that an empire of giant pestilent rats lies beneath our feet? Similarly, Sega have tried to play it cool with the Skaven in Total War: Warhammer 2 [official site]. After five months of teasing a mysterious fourth faction — which has clearly been the Skaven, clear since the chuffing announcement trailer — today they finally confirmed that yup, that ratty rabble will round out Total Warhammer 2. You never really know they’re real until they’re rolling towards you with doom-blasting hamster wheels and vast abominations, as the other factions experience in this new trailer:

So! Your initial lineup for Total Warhammer 2 is the Lizardmen, High Elves, Dark Elves, and Skaven. More factions will surely follow as DLC, as in the first game. And, of course, soon after launch, Creative Assembly plan to release a big world map combining both games and their factions for players who own the two.

Total Warhammer 2 is due on September 28th. It’ll cost £39.99/59,99€/$59.99. Players who buy it within by the end of the first week will get the recently-released Norsca Race DLC for the first Total Warhammer thrown in free.

For more on Twarhammer 2, check out Adam’s preview from June which looked at how the introduction of an end-game goal all players fight over is reshaping the game.

Drib says:

Well, I for one am thoroughly surprised by this.

2. sonofsanta says:

Huzzah! And also duh.

Surely you can get Kieron back for a Skaven review when it’s released, then? I desire his expert opinion on all things ratty.

3. RedViv says:

SLICESTABKILLKILLQUICK

4. klops says:

Perhaps the sound department used a _bit_ too much of that “MOMOMOmomo” sound effect there that is a bit overused nowadays. 0:39 and so on for the whole trailer…

It was a nice effect for the couple first times I heard it in movies, trailers and GoT, but nowadays when it’s used as a rule it has lost most of its power. Well, dull trailer but Skaven are cool! Better this way around.

james.hancox says:

Skaven? No such thing!

6. cpt_freakout says:

oh god please let me pre-order

• Behrditz says:

This game has been up for pre-order for months.

• mashkeyboardgetusername says:

But if you preorder, John Walker comes round your house and glares at you disapprovingly.

*May not be true.
        **Although it would explain why he never does his WAWAPTW homework on time…

The Almighty Moo says:

I love the idea of John spending his weekend, standing outside pre-ordering RPS resders windows, looking disapproving with his bloodied WAPWAYPAPTW face.

teije says:

You win the comments! What a great – if rather unnerving – mental image.

7. Nouser says:

Disappointing trailer after so much hype. But, hey, the crafty rat-men are finally here.

8. wombat191 says:

Clearly a fake trailer and you people should be ashamed for believing its real.. giant bipedal rats? heresy! and you all know it

9. Oakreef says:

Ok I might actually get this now just to get to play as my precious rat boys

10. Sian says:

As I wrote elsewhere: I do not understand marketing. Everyone knew Skaven were coming, but Sega/CA refused to outright say it for this long. Why?

One answer I got is that it was basically the same joke as people are already propagating here, but I don’t think that explains what marketing was thinking. I suppose it was done to build the hype, but does being mysterious about something everyone already knows really do that?

• exile2k4 says:

I think it was intended to be a minor bit of fun playing with the in-game lore rather than a particularly huge plan to build massive amounts of hype. For fans of the game, the developers made it pretty clear who the 4th race were at the same time as they confirmed the other 3. The roster reveals/race trailers etc. have always been done one race at a time since the build up to the first game, so it doesn’t really make that much difference. It’s a small joke that gives people something to talk about.

11. Darth Gangrel says:

Liberté, égalité, (f)raternité.

12. Captain Narol says:

I, For One, Welcome Our New Rodent Overlords !

You know-know nothing-thing, Man-Thing.

13. Vermintide says:

If mightiest and most gracious Lord Thanquol is lock-locked behind DLC I will have-take your heads! Pitiful manlings!