Have You Played… Dofus?

;P

I don’t remember why I started playing Dofus, but there must have been something to this cartoony isometric MMO that kept me coming back to pick flax and cut crops. Maybe it was the grid-based tactical fights that meant combat had a slower, more thoughtful pace. Maybe it was standing around with your bags full of goodies in the marketplace, selling rubbish loot. Maybe it was simply because the game was free and it would run on any stuttering computer. Does Dofus still exist? Let me check.

It does.

It’s made by the French studio Ankama, a band of animators and designers (the same studio have made the MMO follow-up Wakfu) and is probably as old-fashioned as mummorpuhguhs get. There’s yer character classes, yer armour sets, yer dungeons, yer pets, yer mounts, yer wallet full of unreal cash that never, ever seems to be enough. I don’t know how it holds up in today’s world but they must be doing something right to have been around as long as World of Warcraft, even while dozens of others have fallen into the graveyard.

I also remember people being nice in it. That might have simply been the cutesy French animation working its magic, drawing in other kids like me. But I do recall a sense of friendship in almost all the cyber-peeps I used to hang around with. Now, I am forced to play survival games where people murder each other over the sound of racial slurs. Ah, lost innocence.

1. rustybroomhandle says:

Yas! I like the world Ankama have crafted. Also really enjoyed the movie Dofus: Julith.

2. Sir_Deimos says:

I tried this out for a weekend not too long ago. If I didn’t find mummorpuhguhs kinda boring in general I’d probably go back to this one first. Being free certainly helps, too.

3. Ny24 says:

There is a boardgame called Krosmaster: Arena in that universe, which is also pretty great!

4. BooleanBob says:

I did try it once. I didn’t last much further than the tutorial. Not sure why, because I used to really like SRPGs, and it’s undeniably pretty.

Now, Yohoho! Puzzle Pirates, on the other hand..

subdog says:

Definitely in the top 10 worst named games.

• Nelyeth says:

To be fair, it was mainly a french game for a while, and was designed around that (be it the servers, or the ungodly amount of puns in the french version). The international community came afterwards, and was always a bit ignored by the devs. Everyone I know used to play it back in the day, 14-years-old me loved it.

6. Sin Vega says:

Played it briefly aeons ago. It was cute but it was an MMO, so.

7. KDR_11k says:

There’s also a singleplayer spinoff on consoles and a TV series on Netflix… Seems like it’s still popular.

8. Alberto says:

I’ve got the COMICS! they’re silly and fun, and I didn’t even know they were a tie-in from the game, which speaks for a certain quality on their own.

9. Skyrage says:

Never really played any of these but I have watched the Wakfu series. Really good stuff.

10. malkav11 says:

I tried it briefly. It’s gorgeous and I found it incredibly tedious.

11. JustAchaP says:

I remember my brother mentioning the game to me and I thought he said doofus.

12. Izmar says:

If anyone would like to try the game again without much hassle, there’s a browser version here: link to dofus.com

13. Lim-Dul says:

Wow, Dofus, the memories. I was actually quite into the game but since the whole economy is pretty much player-run, it is EXTREMELY grindy. You literally have a second (and third and fourth etc.) job in the game so you can get money and potentially craft something useful for yourself as well. I was creating whole spreadsheets for calculating optimal farming paths to level up base professions – it was ridiculous. The actual gameplay-ish part of Dofus is, on the other hand, quite enjoyable and well-thought out. Very unusual concept to have a MMORPG with turn-based combat.

14. Jmnea says:

Who are you calling a dofus?

Comment on this story