Boo! Outlast is free right now, and its expansion too

One of the better ‘peer through a camcorder viewfinder while hiding from spooky monsters’ horror games which shambled out of the early tensies, Outlast [official site] is free for keepsies if you grab it in the next two days. Hit the Humble Store before 6pm on Saturday (10am Pacific) and you can nab both Outlast and its prequel expansion, Whistleblower, in DRM-free and Steam key forms. This freebie is to celebrate the end of Humble’s summer sale, which I understand has a great many games going cheap. But not as cheap as free.

Our Outlast review from Ben Barrett was glowing, who said it “is not an experiment in how games can be scary, it’s an exemplification.”

To be contrary, I think I side with Adam when he said its kooky wakka wakka spooky spoo asylum is just too familiar:

“When a place is so far removed from its real purpose, it loses meaning. The asylum as portrayed in Outlast is plucked directly from the horror genre. It no longer has a real world analogue, although the impressive fidelity of the graphics occasionally convinces otherwise by showing us objects and textures that we recognise, right down to the scuff marks and imperfections. The parts convey something sinister and familiar, but they’re soon splattered with too many strokes of false red and the whole picture becomes little more than another fairground funhouse.”

But hey, you can see for yourself now that it’s free. I know a great many folks dig Outlast and they say the DLC prequel chapter is a good’un too. The pair usually cost twenty-odd quid so free is a good price to poke at it.

1. Red_Fox says:

“Feed me! FEEEED MEE!!!!”

2. Psychomorph says:

Can’t log-in to Humble, even on different browsers.

3. poliovaccine says:

Def agree about the tired old setting, but I like the game anyway. The mechanics arent so much pure stealth as they are pure tension. It’s not very inventive, but it’s effective. “Exemplification not experimentation” sounds exactly right to me.

Tho to be fair, historically, such facilities are pretty horrific. But I think reality actually has more to offer in terms of terrifying and disgusting human debasement than any horror trope ever could. Seeing a plausible, relatable human being cored out by barbaric degrees of electroshock therapy* is more horrifying to me than just seeing them as a chasey-chase-you monster straight out of the gate (*disclaimer, it does actually work for some things, they just used to wayyyy overdo it back in the day – as Paracelsus says, “the difference between a medicine and a poison is the dose”).

4. MattM says:

I tried to play Outlast a few years ago but the excessive headbob gave me migraines. Lately I seem to be less sensitive to that so I might give it another try. (Devs, please always include a steady cam option with no bob/sway/screen shake.)

5. Pogs says:

Sorry guys but you should really think about the type of images you use in your headlines. Graphic scene of what appear to be cannibalism? Are you so trite you think thats a good thing? Just what we want to see on your home page without warning. Minors and children do look at your web site you know. I know this is the internet age where everything appears to be justifiable but well do think a bit.

Phasma Felis says:

I think what you’re trying to say is “some of us read this site at work, please don’t put extremely NSFW stuff in the header images.” Which I agree with.

6. Collieuk says:

You can never have enough clean underwear laundered before playing a game like this. Daz Ultra does nothing for the stains let me tell you.

7. Jalan says:

Whistleblower is the highlight of the entire Outlast series (for me, at least). I was really hoping for Outlast II to live up to its standard but, despite some interesting moments and changes, it just didn’t get there.

Comment on this story