It will blow you away: IGN buys Humble Bundle

This week in gaming has seemingly saved its biggest surprise for last. Humble Bundle, the charity-funding bundle organiser/publisher/online store, today announced that it has been bought by IGN. You know, that video game and movie site. Yup. Weird. Humble say they’ll business will continue as usual, or even better than usual thanks to the resources and help of the Ian Games Network (who are owned by Ziff Davis, who are owned by J2 Global).

Humble Bundle launched in 2010 with the Humble Indie Bundle, a pay-what-you-want package containing Aquaria, Gish, Lugaru HD, Penumbra: Overture, Samorost 2, and World of Goo. “Phenomenal, basically,” Alec said. That was spearheaded by Jeffrey Rosen and John Graham of Wolfire Games, the makers of Lugaru. Well, the bundles kept coming (we’re way past a hundred now) and spread to cover music and eBooks and things too. Humble have became a proper company and landed venture capital investment, it has opened a permanent storefront, it launched a monthly subscription service, and most recently became a publisher as well. And we ourselves use Humble to sell RPS Supporter Program memberships.

All will continue as before under IGN, according to Humble. Rosen said in today’s announcement:

“We will be working harder than ever to bring you the best gaming bundles, book bundles, and store sales, while nurturing the Humble Monthly and our new publishing initiative. We will keep our own office, culture, and amazing team with IGN helping us further our plans. We will raise even more money for charity.

“John and I started Humble Bundle from our childhood homes. When our parents found out that our ‘big idea’ was basically the honor system of pay-what-you-want plus charity, they braced themselves for the possibility that we might never move out. Seven years later, thanks to the generosity of over 10 million customers, we’ve now raised $106 million for charity. We are incredibly proud of this figure, of our team, and the Humble community which got us here.

“But as far as we’ve come, we know we are just getting started. Even bigger things lie ahead, and we think IGN is the perfect partner to help us get there.”

They have a lot of faith in a publicly-traded multinational company.

So what do Humble get out of the deal? Money, stability, and exposure, I suppose. Though Humble seems omnipresent, it is still a non-Steam store in a Steam-focused world (even if it does often sell Steam keys) and that can be difficult. It’s built upon selling games with big discounts too. And their growth has faltered; in 2015, Humble laid off 20% of their staff after over-expanding. If they are looking to really expand, a big and diversified company (along with publishers Ziff Davis, J2 own a number of online and telecommunications services) could give them a boost. Or Humble could be looking for someone to catch them after a fall. We do not know.

As a mega-huge site with massive reach, owning a storefront could be a smart move for the Ian Games Network. If the store hooked into enough parts of IGN’s sites, channels, and other bits, it might be a tidy little earner – IGN boosting Humble’s visibility, and Humble getting IGN a share of sales. I don’t mean to suggest conspiracy or impropriety: I’m just saying there’s potential for a highly synergised paradigm connecting search engine visibility and cross-brand reach with other fancy business words.

What strange news. I am blown away.

When RPS buy our own business, you can be sure I’ll push for a small garden centre – a quiet, cool, moist, and rich-smelling space in which we’ll all work one day a week to clear our heads then return refreshed.

1. Vinraith says:

Shit.

subdog says:

Balls.

3. Ethaor says:

Sucks.

4. spamenigma says:

Crap.

5. April March says:

Poppycock.

6. lordebon says:

Well, it was good while it lasted…

• Heliocentric says:

Absolutely, they made a good thing and now have lots of money. We should be glad Humble was even possible, my fear is that it was a thing of it’s time and will never be repeated, even as things like being DRM free and indie based slowly unravelled, as the monthly subs came, and embraced half games that need DLC or MMO’s with in app purchase pits. It was still relatively moral, then we got the anime tits bundle, and I removed the page from my bookmarks. Eh? How is IGN still a thing.

Hey, we still have gog!

• alms says:

Hey, we still have gog!

…we’re screwed, you mean.

• April March says:

GOG is pretty great. It would certainly be a big player if there were big players other than Steam. It’s also the only reason we have DRM version of at least a few old AAA titles, like Assassin’s Creed and Saboteur.

• PancreaticDefect says:

And, best of all, a fixed version of Fallout 3 that works on modern OS’s without having to spend hours stripping out GFWL and editing .ini files. Just to get it to crash only sorta frequently.

• alms says:

GOG has a laughably small catalog, higher prices, and delayed release cycles, and worse, no plan to become relevant at any point.

• Lukasz says:

GOG catalog is not as big as others because they don’t sell steam keys. blame publishers.
            they are really the only relevant non-steam, non-origin store out there who does not cater to to steam.

• Crafter says:

I was always sad that Humble did not play well with GOG :/ .

Well, now problem solved, I will just buy first on GOG and steam otherwise.

• Nogo says:

ITCH!

Say it with me people: ITCH.IO

• syndrome says:

fuck steam and fuck humble bundle

fuck anything that’s uniformed and turned into a homogenous blob of economic vectors, in front of which absolutely everyone must bow, simply due to its intimidating presence in comparison to our mere, insignificant lives

and yet, every such system REVOLVES around the central idea of having one insignificant life yield something of value to another; to share love, passion, and awareness

SO, I must ask, WHOSE INTIMIDATING PRESENCE IS IT?
          we seriously need to stop this

all we need is a network of accessible yet individually unregulated digital storefront market stands, fully customizable, each dedicated to their own customers

itch.io is the future
          itch.io is yet to come

• phlebas says:

Much as I love itch, individual storefronts are not great for discoverability. It’s great for following auteurs, it’s fantastic for indies having their own space. It makes a virtue of disorganisation. But it’s way too disorganised to be good for finding new things I might like.

• Regicider 12.4% says:

It was still relatively moral, then we got the anime tits bundle, and I removed the page from my bookmarks…
        …we still have gog!

Tender Loving Care.
        Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude: Uncut and Uncensored!
        Lula: The Sexy Empire.

Also best if nobody says anything about their working conditions or the legal scummery.

7. Zorganist says:

Huh.

8. mxmissile says:

this cannot and will not end well

9. Viral Frog says:

And Humble is ruined. Well, at least I got some sweet deals in before it died.

10. Andrew says:

*cough*RPS and Bundle Stars*cough*

11. plsgodontvisitheforums says:

RIP.

12. aliksy says:

I liked humble when they were focused on indie. I like them a lot less now that they’re just a store front that also sells bundles. I pretty routinely tip them $0 out of spite.

13. Jalan says:

It’s amusing that they want people to believe they’ll continue to operate like it was “business as usual”. The minute j2 Global realizes that it’s hemorrhaging money, they’ll clean house faster than the Flash.

I’d say this was the beginning of the end, but the end has been starting and taking a temporary pause on and off for a few years now.

• Menshai2013 says:

If Humble Bundle were “hemorrhaging money” why would IGN have bought them in the first place?

• April March says:

For the sake of argument: because it has brand recognition and goodwill, and therefore they’ll be able to milk their client base for more money by using predatory marketing practices until they catch on.

• sosolidshoe says:

Also, because corporations use acquisitions of smaller companies as a way to increase their debt without spooking investors; IGN’s ultimate corporate overloads can now borrow against the hypothetical “value” of Humble, then in a couple of years when they need to do it again they’ll buy something else to borrow against and asset strip whatever’s left of Humble to the bone.

And that’s “rational” economics, apparently.

14. JayG says:

Knickers

15. RichUncleSkeleton says:

I predict this “charity’s” “overhead” costs are about to go way, way up.

16. Ooops says:

I wonder what’ll happen to the share of their pay-what-you-want deals that people were willing to award Humble Bundle. I doubt they’ll be able to retain the system for long as I don’t see that many people willing to “tip” a big company.

james.hancox says:

Surely RPS should buy an aquarium, so that you can lure Pip back?

18. bhauck says:

I felt like the Humble Monthly Bundle foretold an eventual sale at the time, and I can even prove it: link to rockpapershotgun.com

MRR is the engine that is driving us towards the next financial collapse.

• Heliocentric says:

Brilliant reply there too.

You forgot “insert conspiracy theory here”. You have no evidence for this claim beyond a weak, entirely unsupported argument.

subdog says:

You do know that despite being called “Humble Monthly”, you don’t actually have any recurring charges right? You pay for the full term up front.

• Optimaximal says:

You do know the programme allows you to (you know) pay monthly, right?

• fish99 says:

Errr…. no it’s absolutely a recurring subscription.

I feel like all these recurring subscription services rely on the fact that people forget to cancel them, including the likes of amazon prime.

• Ragnar says:

It’s a recurring subscription, but unlike all the other recurring gaming subscription services you actually own something at the end of each month. You’re not just renting the games for as long as you maintain a subscription, and the subscription doesn’t hold all your “free” games hostage.

• Regicider 12.4% says:

IndieGameStand also did a monthy subscription “Elite” thing to get a flat 20% discount on everything, about a year before they took their dying breaths.
      They even kept charging subscribers after the site went down, when you could no longer manually cancel it and their social media presence and customer service went dark.

• cheesyboy says:

Your post is exactly what I thought of when I saw the news of the sale :)

(although I couldn’t remember where i’d read it)

19. Fry says:

I’m beginning to wonder if the world has collectively forgotten what “conflict of interest” means.

• Phantom_Renegade says:

I don’t think they’ve forgotten. They’ve just realized that if you do it big and flashy, nobody cares. Seriously, there’s always a few people that think, ‘Hey, this sounds like it’d be pretty shit for everyone who isn’t rich/a big corporation’. But mostly? People don’t care. Now if you do it sneakily, there’s going to be an expose and outrage.

But if you shout it from the rooftops (also see: Trump) then people shrug and go about their day.

It’s why the internet is so shitty in the US for example, the two companies that do internet have made agreements with each other to divide up the land and never actually compete with each other. People know, but they don’t do anything. Why? Because they don’t care enough. And they don’t care because it’s all done with a wink out in the open.

• twixter says:

So are you saying that it really IS about ethics in games journalism? ;)

20. dylandekoe says:

I just shat myself

21. flopjacks says:

IGN already did the owning a digital storefront thing in the past (Direct2Drive), complete with the “synergistic” links in reviews, etc. I seem to recall I lost access to a couple of games there when they decided it wasn’t making enough money and sold it off to a new owner.

22. Someoldguy says:

Not the greatest news, but my ears pricked up when you mentioned that HB had already secured funding from venture capitalists. In my book, those guys have the potential to be far more destructive to a company ethos than anyone that “gets” gaming. Runescape has gone down the toilet with endless non-cosmetic micro transactions since the venture capitalists bought ever larger chunks of the company. If this deal gets Humble out from under the boot of a venture capitalist, it could be an improvement. So, not the worst news we could have heard. I’ll still be looking at it’s forthcoming deals with a careful eye, but that’s nothing new. Not many of their recent offerings have impressed me.

• flopjacks says:

They were YC W11, so they’ve basically been VC-funded almost as long as since they moved to their own domain name.

• alms says:

VCs (Sequoia, IIRC) have been involved in Humble Bundle since, basically, the beginning. HIB III or IV, if I’m not mistaken.

• Someoldguy says:

But has their stake or the pressure they exert on the company been increasing? Insight took several years to grow their share in Runescape to a controlling one and a few more years to really bed in the monetisation before cashing out out to Shangdong Honda. When we worry about the intentions of different companies, there’s little to consider with venture capitalists. They’re there to make profit, period.

• alms says:

They’re there to make profit, period.

Humble may have a more “ethical” business model than your average game store but, at the end of the day, they’re there to make profit, too.

23. duns4t says:

I just purchased an annual sub for their monthlies two weeks ago… now I’m sure the quality will stay consistent in the near term as months are probably booked/planned in advance, but I can’t help this from feeling like a bait and switch in my case.

24. Asurmen says:

No one is allowed to say moist.

Or damp.

Or gushing.

Those adjectives have been banned.

25. Matt_W says:

Wasn’t RPS recently purchased by Gamer Network? Compare Humble’s Rosen:

to RPS’s Graham Smith:

I’m excited to work more closely with the team there and to have the resources to do new, exciting things for our readers

• TheAngriestHobo says:

I was thinking the same thing. Where’s the line? Why is this buyout so problematic when the RPS buyout was greeted with open arms?

• Vandelay says:

Probably because Gamer Network was basically Eurogamer and a couple of other sites. RPS has always had connections with EG, with the writers often contributing words to their site, whilst many of the regular EG writers have written here too.

IGN is mainly associated with very mainstream games and considered by many to just be a mouth piece for the industry, rather than offering any kind of actual journalism.

I don’t think people are particularly opposed to the buy out, but they are unhappy with who is giving them the money. Personally, I won’t say this calls for a boycott, but I will certainly be wary of Humble for a while.

The Almighty Moo says:

Mmm. GN are relatively tiny. Ziff Davis is an absolute behemoth. But I don’t know. Nestle just bought Bless Bottle Coffee so it seems the whole world is being acquired.

• dangermouse76 says:

Like when I found out Innocent smoothies is 90% coca cola. Bye bye innocent smoothies.

The Almighty Moo says:

It might have been better if their marketing department had just gone with it and transformed the brand into “jaded, twisted and evil smoothies”

• sosolidshoe says:

That’s the problem with the idea of “informed consumer capitalism” though – almost every widely-available(and all reasonably priced) brands are owned by a network of ever bigger brands that culminate in some horrifying corporate monstrosity. Basically it doesn’t matter what you choose to buy or not, in the end you’re supporting *something* evil.

• Baines says:

RPS praised the RPS buyout because it was RPS.

• icarussc says:

OK, here’s a radical, brain-exploding idea … what if the reason that the RPS chaps were positive about the GN acquisition is (wait, wait) not because they’re in on the whole conspiracy, but (here it is, this is the bit) because maybe they all actually think it’s a good idea?

Don’t let appropriate caution turn you into cynic. That way lies madness and misanthropy.

• Baines says:

There isn’t any conspiracy to it, anyway. It presumably wasn’t some particularly hostile takeover, John wasn’t planning to run off into the sunset cackling while throwing money into the air, and the employees were most likely mostly looking to stay employees (or at the least not get a black mark on their job history.) The public stance of RPS wasn’t going to be to denounce the sale of RPS.

As for the quote by Graham, it is comparable to the current Humble situation. Even at the time of the announcement of the sale of RPS, Graham’s statement felt entirely hollow, just the generic “things will only get even better” corporate response to such sales.

• icarussc says:

My point is that Graham actually thought it would get better. That’s far and away the most reasonable explanation. If he were uncomfortable — if he didn’t believe what he was saying — then he would have begged off writing it, yeah? There are other writers here.

Sometimes, people are genuinely positive about public developments.

26. antszy says:

Cancel your humble monthly subs before they turn to crap(pier).

• April March says:

Honestly, if you think giving anyone a sum of money in exchange for something they choose for you is a good deal, you deserve that someone to be IGN.

• Obi-Sean says:

IMHO, their bundles have always been worth the $12. There’s always at least one game in there I’d never have played that I end up playing a lot. Or one that I’ve had my eye on, but never pulled the trigger because it never really fell below $20 and wasn’t worth the experiment. Then again, that’s just my opinion.

27. KillahMate says:

Well, dong.

I have a sizable collection on Humble too.

28. gbrading says:

This is concerning. Quite concerning.

29. Vegas says:

Ziff Davis? Lol 1up.com. Go look at it, last updated in 2014 but still kept on life support for whatever reason.

30. tslog says:

Just letting everyone know, that as of last week, IGN were selling their own “Loot Boxes”.
    Then imaging IGN reviews from now criticising games that have loot boxes.

Now imagine IGN giving 2 shits about charity.

Sorry if you were eating at this time.

31. milligna says:

Really don’t understand how IGN stay in business.

32. fray_bentos says:

Yuck.

particlese says:

Well, butts. I don’t even really know why, but butts. Maybe the feeling of loss of an goodie indie machine to a sometimes-useful corporate machine. Maybe the rollout of “balls” comments at the start of this comments section and the need to express concurrence in a holey original way.

34. drezworthy says:

Why do I have a sinking feeling of dread? If IGN isn’t the worst thing to ever happen to HB I will be pleasantly surprised because I like HB and I don’t want some shitty corporate entity ruining it.

35. kwyjibo says:

No surprises that a VC backed company finds an exit.

A bit surprised by the acquirer (didn’t Amazon want them?)

Humble have absolutely killed it. Alice references the layoffs in 2015, but since then they’ve built a subscription business with 200,000 customers! Everyone loves recurring revenue.

• bhauck says:

The whole business community loves recurring revenue, a lovely type of revenue that is easy to forecast growing! *5 fiscal quarters later* We regret to inform you that the revenue didn’t grow

36. icarussc says:

Huh. Lotta negativity here, but I’m not entirely sure why. Does anyone have a solid reason for thinking that “Monthly’s quality is about to go down” or “we won’t be able to donate to charity any more”? Surely the New Boss’s first rule will be ” don’t kill the goose that lays the golden egg.” And I routinely see corporate charity sponsorships at places like Kiva, where they’re actually spending their *own* money.

Our own beloved RPS is corporately owned, isn’t it, and that hasn’t caused it all to come crashing down, hey? I mean, I have serious qualms about corporate capitalism and the conflicts of interest embedded in shareholder-owned companies, but certainly we shouldn’t imagine that corporate is a synonym for ‘incompetent’ or ‘idiotic’.

Lots here seem to regard this as terrible news, but as far as I can see, it’s just … news. Weird news.

Nauallis says:

Yep, the doomsaying is moronic. I’m not sure where corporate ownership automatically means a race to the bottom. I mean, everybody is in business to make money. That’s kinda the point of getting acquired, for a non-public company. Publicly traded corporations have to be more open about it, so perhaps it’s just less of a surprise when acquisition happens?

Even if things do go to shit, it’s not as if there won’t be other start-ups that try to fill the gap. For example: If you told me ten years ago that there’d be alternative digital storefronts to buy PC games that aren’t Steam and that might not have DRM I’d have called BS. GOG was introduced in 2008 and Humble Bundle started in 2010 with a storefront in 2012. I wouldn’t have called that, yet here we are.

• MisterFurious says:

Name one example of a company benefiting from selling out to a major behemoth corporation. They get swallowed up, digested and then shat out. Always.

• icarussc says:

Pixar? Instagram? Paypal? YouTube? Android? Broaden your frame of reference — I think you’ll find that it’s worked out pretty well in as many cases as not. Heck, France’s 1066 acquisition of Britain has led to some neat developments even a millennium on.

• ColonelFlanders says:

Except Brexit, that was a bit shit.

• icarussc says:

Eh, still in process. Might not actually come off. Trump hasn’t been able to get that wall built yet, either.

• Janichsan says:

That these companies are successful doesn’t automatically mean that everything turned out fine after they had been gobbled up by a larger corporation.

The quality of Pixar’s movies pretty much steadily declined since their acquisition by Disney (with very few exceptions in the recent years), leading to uninspired turds and soulless sequels like The Good Dinosaur or Cars 3.

Instagram had several controversial changes to features, and Terms of Service policies after Facebook swallowed them.

YouTube might still be the go-to video site, but keeps shitting its bed by alienating content creators with stupid changes to monetisation and copyright protection.

And list goes on and on.

• syndrome says:

I like the parallel universe you seem to live in.

• welverin says:

Marvel seems to be doing o.k. since being acquired by Disney.

• Janichsan says:

But how much longer? Their comic book sales are still in steady decline, their TV series get worse from show to show, and at least here in Europe, the first signs of a super-hero movie fatigue are becoming hard to miss.

• noerartnoe says:

The problem isn’t corporate ownership as a thing. The problem is that the corporation is IGN.

• DFX2KX says:

Came here to say that much.

IGN is not known for Prudent or Reasonable decisions. Honestly, I think their rather chummy relations with Industry players are the only reason they still exist.

• Menshai2013 says:

Yeah, I don’t really get the negativity. It seems that anytime anyone gets bought by anything, the pitchforks come out. Can’t things just be bought and be ‘business as usual’ without people bringing out the slippery slope fallacy?!?

• malkav11 says:

1) IGN has a proud tradition of decades of incompetence and pandering to the lowest common denominator.
      2) Parent company Ziff-Davis has a proud tradition of being soulless corporate overlords and ruthlessly shuttering videogame-related endeavours that were insufficiently profit-centric.

So yeah, it’s certainly possible that they actually mean it when they say they’ll be hands off and nothing at Humble will change. But it’s not exactly lunacy to suggest it’s not the best sign.

• KidWithKnife says:

While I generally agree with you, to be fair IGN would not have come to my mind at all if you’d asked me a week ago what companies I might be okay with Humble selling off to. I don’t think they’re the evil empire, but they are kind of tacky and cheesy.

• Regicider 12.4% says:

I already lost games before when they sold off their Direct2Drive service to GameFly, some licenses didn’t carry over to keep selling them and the activation servers for the old installers shut down. Fool me twice etc..

At least the installers on Humble are DRM-free this time around and I’m already downloading and backing up everything already because of the earlier lessons.

Digital purchases looking more and more like doomsayers predicted in the early boom – StarDock/GameStop’s Impulse, IGN/GameFly/Whoevernow’s Direct2Drive, IndieGameStand, Desura/IndieGala now OnePlay, whatever they’re planning. Maybe GamersGate will be sold next, they seem to have stagnated the last couple of years with an ageing site and lagging behind in features and still using DRM’d installers.

• elevown says:

Isn’t like 98% of games on humble just steam keys? I have quite a lot of humble bundles and almost every game in my list bar a few bits of rubbish was a steam key that was entered onto steam long ago. So now it doesn’t really matter if they all vanished with humble into the void from that perspective – because They are all permanently unlocked on steam – why would I need those codes again?

• Regicider 12.4% says:

I have over 150 from their bundles and around 50 android apk’s.
          I’d rather have both, the DRM-free installers as backups to the steam activations and I’d trust the offline installers more than Steam’s DRM service in the long run.

Add to that some of them have mac and Linux versions that aren’t available through Steam. If the game isn’t available for Linux the client won’t even let you download the windows version without extra hassle running additional windows client instances in Wine.

37. Beebop says:

**tsk** yeah, indie site sells out to a big multinational. Quislings. Hey what other site that I frequent did that happen to in May 2017? Shucks, I can’t remember… Yeah, well, it was a big unmitigated disaster there too and… Please stop prejudging.

38. Koffer says:

Well, it’s a shame. I really liked the Humble initiative, though I think they lost part of their identity when they stopped focusing on indie games, and I was never very enthusiastic about the Monthly system. Being able to donate that much to charity is quite a feat, but like many people here, I am not optimistic about their future with IGN as their owner. I just sincerely hope that I will be proven wrong.

I was wondering how Humble Bundle dealt with narrower margins than resellers like Steam. It seems that they, in fact, didn’t. :-S

I guess it’ll be more of GOG from now on, then.

39. Spacewalk says:

In the words of mining company magnate and former Queensland politician Clive Palmer, “Goodbye”.

40. crazyd says:

IGN has never really had any review integrity, but that can only get worse now that they have a vested stake in giving out high reviews to net sales. This is just a massive conflict of interest that will end up hurting them both. IGN loses any sense of objectivity, and Humble loses a lot of the hardcore that don’t trust or like IGN. Here’s hoping that this fails and Humble ends up independent again.

• MisterFurious says:

“Here’s hoping that this fails and Humble ends up independent again.”

There’s no way that’s going to happen. If Humble is unprofitable, it’ll bet dissolved or sold to some other corporation.

41. pepperfez says:

I’m as sad as anyone about another good product being subjected to the whims of shareholders, but at least this means Humble won’t up and disappear with everyone’s games like Indie Gamestand did a few months ago.

42. int says:

Time to get me some Ignorant Bundles!

43. caff says:

Absolutely love Humble Bundle, their heart and soul has been inspirational to me as a games player and a charity donator.

They’ve managed the charity donation packs for the YogsCast Christmas livestreams for the last few years and done a superb job of it. I really hope that spirit continues under IGN – I’m not as negative as many people seem to be here, I think they will thrive and be fine.

44. Creeping Death says:

Haven’t seen anyone else bring it up so I’ll just point out that a video game review site now owns a video game publisher. No conflict of interest here!

45. geldonyetich says:

That explains these lousy current sale picks.

Subscribe to Humble Monthly for F2P game currency. Really?

• King_Rocket says:

I was going to cancel my Humble Monthly sub solely due to the terrible games on offer this month so this acquisition has nothing to do with it, it’s just a handy reminder.

• Cederic says:

Thanks, that prompted me to check and cancel too.

I may subscribe again in December. I may not. Lets see how it goes..

• Stargazer86 says:

Yeah, the Humble Monthly offers this time around are pretty trash. Though, to be fair, the only time I bought into it was when Total War: Warhammer was on sale for $12. That was awesome. Haven’t been interested in any of the offers since.

• Martijn says:

I was surprised about that too. But I dabbled in music journalism for a while and if the computer games business is anything like the music business, it’s probably a sort of tit-for-tat package deal. That’s the way mediocre bands end up in your favorite music zine of on the bill of your favorite festival.

So, Bethesda has these F2P games that only work well if a lot of people play them and Humble Bundle has a lot of subscribers to push them to. Humble Bundle doesn’t really want to do this, but they would really like to have Prey or Dishonored 2. So don’t look surprised if one of those turns up in an upcoming bundle.

46. racccoon says:

Lets hope gog can hold from pressures like this, unless the buyer is honest like this one, one thing I do hope is valve doesn’t think to buy it, as if it does, the PC will be completely ruined & roll back to dictatorship.
    Gog is the PC lifesaver at the moment along with a few good powerful game co’s who are halting Steams past monopolization.
    Keep up the good work of freeing the chains that steam once held.

47. mruuh says:

Welp, I guess I’ll wait for some new outfit to start a project called “Modest Indie Package”, and the whole cycle will repeat itself.

48. King in Winter says:

Huh wait, IGN? They still exist? I thought they stopped being relevant something like at least fifteen years ago.

• BooleanBob says:

Actually they branched out and diversified and are more relevant than ever. It’s a garbage kind of relevancy filled with click-bait titled videos and listicles about superhero films, but that’s where the advertising spend is (sadly).

49. Avus says:

Beside GoG, I also like to buy games from Chrono.gg

50. Slazia says:

Can’t wait for their new secure digital platform to rival Steam. I wonder if they can make it worse than Ubisoft’s? That would be a hell of an achievement.

GG Humble!

• April March says:

uPlay is not worse than Steam. I imagine people who complain have Steam set up to start with their computer, and don’t have uPlay do the same. So when they fire up uPlay and it needs to do a gigantic update, or it does something slightly different than the way they are accostumed on Steam, they act like it stabbed them in the back with a feces-incrusted knife. I use them as seldom as I can so my belief is that both stab you in the back with feces-incrusted knives rather often.

That said, I wouldn’t put it past IGN to surprise everyone with how awful a game platform can be.

• malkav11 says:

I have both set to start with my computer. uPlay is absolutely worse. It’s routinely forgotten my login when I told it to remember (something Steam has never done). I’ve had to manually tell it to patch my games. It doesn’t let you deactivate (or not install) purchased DLC. It lacks multiple Steam features that I use all the time, like playtime tracking and easy in-client screenshotting.

It’s still better than Origin, though, since it will let you find old installs instead of redownloading games and supports installing games to different directories at time of download instead of having a single download directory that you can, admittedly, change without moving existing installs.

And neither are completely unusable.

Comment on this story