Have You Played… SUPERHOT VR?

Here’s the point where I usually say “so VR didn’t pan out like we’d hoped, eh?” and then people who really like VR go “hey, stop that!”. So this time, I won’t, and instead will say: here’s a really, really cool VR game. SUPERHOT VR.

You may already be familiar with SUPERHOT’s non-gogglicious variant, a first person-shooter/puncher/shurikener whose primary conceit is that all action runs in super-slow motion unless you yourself are moving. When you do, it speeds up into real-time. I.e. it’s like an inverse bullet-time, and your job is to use the breathing space offered by your own motionlessness to line up and make every shot count.

SUPERHOT VR, guess what, moves that to into virtual reality and, honestly, it’s the most Action Movie experience I think I’ve ever had. You’re not just shooting with a couple of handheld dildo-things: you’re using your whole body to duck and weave, to upper cut and to bottle-throw, to lunge out and grab a dropped gun as it slowly falls to earth, to contort your spine into dramatic positions that move you out of the way of a bullet moving at three miles an hour.

It’s a workout, it’s thrilling, and it’s also a strategic puzzle: learning through failure the most efficient and dramatic order in which to take down enemies with a variety of nearby objects. If you have a headset, SUPERHOT VR is mandatory.

Mungrul says:

Yeah, I’m very fond of this. Before Lone Echo came out, I would have said Superhot VR is as close to a killer app as VR gets.

Drib says:

SUPERHOT VR is absolutely the best VR experience I have had. A+ through and through.

VR might not exactly be the future, I dunno. But for this game it was stellar. The ducking and weaving and sense of being a cool, bullet-time action hero was excellent.

I’d always recommend this wholeheartedly to anyone with a VR set.

• falcon2001 says:

200% agree with this, game was absolutely phenomenal. Probably one of my most exciting gaming experiences of ALL time.

• Enko says:

I thought it was awkward and unfinished. No clear direction on how to use objects. I quit playing when I couldn’t figure out wtf to do in the room with a control panel. It doesn’t even touch free games that Valve made.

They got my money though. Good job on that.

• Herring says:

Did you play on Vive? I did, and I found lots of the physical interactions using the wands weren’t explained or worked poorly. You can tell it was built around the touch controllers.

Once I figured it all out it was a great game though.

3. JonasScott says:

I have not and will not play this game. This game and the non-VR original were put on my personal blacklist because the devs took money for a timed Oculus exclusivity deal.

Exclusivity to a display is bullshit.

• Da5e says:

Well I bought it and it’s dead good, so hey!

Mungrul says:

I mean, exclusivity angers me too, but in these circumstances, I can understand why an indie developer would agree to it. It was probably a hefty wedge of cash, and didn’t prevent them from releasing on Vive and PSVR eventually. And the controls are different enough on the three main VR platforms that each build would have to be significantly tailored to said platforms. Oculus just made sure the devs devoted the resources to their platform first.

It’s nothing like Bethesda refusing to support Oculus customers at all.

Drib says:

“Grr, I’m so mad that a game came out without coming out on everything, that I’ll deprive myself of fun! That’ll show ’em!”

• MrUnimport says:

“Grr! I’m so indignant that someone stuck to some kind of principle rather than engaging in reflexive consumerism that I’ll leave a snide and belittling comment! That’ll show ’em!”

• Sakkura says:

And it did actually come out on all the things, just a little delayed on some. Sony is pushing exclusivity a lot harder for the PSVR.

• Rindan says:

… I mean yes. That will in fact show them. Sales are the only language a corporation speaks in. If you are not speaking sales, you might as well be mute. Consumers refusing to buy stuff is the best way to make a coporation change its behavior. If companies that engage in exclusivity agreements, something that literally always a hostile action against consumers, take a hit in sales for that action, they will stop doing it.

• Chaz says:

Will that show them?

I mean how are they to know that their sales figures are missing sales due to abstainers protesting about VR exclusivity?

Which only lasted for about 6 months, as it is now out on Vive and PSVR, and I expect the exclusivity deal probably helped a great deal with the development costs. They’re a small dev, it’s a tough business, VR is a small market. They probably need all the help they can get right now.

Just seems rather churlish to me.

• UncleLou says:

Yeah, that’s all possible.

But a small indie game with a hardly noticable timed exclusivity is a very peculiar target. “Corporation”, really?

And anyway, before people know the whole picture – maybe the exclusivity money was what made development of any VR version possible *at all*, I personally find “sticking to principles” a bit too simple and even a little petulant, but each to their own.

• Herring says:

Yes. You can see by CCP getting out of it recently. A lot of the people waiting to get into VR are waiting for big, AAA releases. And that’s not going to happen for a small, niche product unless someone ponies up the cash first. You can see the Oculus store has _far_ more large, polished games than SteamVR for this very reason. Luckily, ReVive is a thing :)

• phailhaus says:

Devs are people too. You think they would have taken the deal if they didn’t need it?

• JonasScott says:

I don’t know (or care) what their motivations were. However, it is almost a surety that some devs take exclusivity deals when they don’t need them. Would SuperHot VR exist without the Oculus deal? Again, I don’t know and I don’t care. All I see as a consumer is a company that limited their game to a monitor. What if the next Call of Duty (or whatever game) was only playable on Acer monitors? It sets a bad precedent.

4. Machinedrum says:

Gameplay wise it is the king of VR for me. Everyone who played it at my place was blown away. You are really in the game, the simple graphics and aesthetics strengthen it. Endless modes are also fun to just work out your frustration :-)

It did never fell like a workout for me, more like ballet :-)

5. Kefren says:

I never got round to this, but Robo Recall is a bit like a full-speed version (though you can slo-mo it down a bit by choosing a teleport location). Grabbing weapons, throwing empty ones (and robots), shooting, hitting etc. It’s not a perfect game (and I had no interest at all in the score/combo aspects – I would have preferred more of a story and more than two environments) but the tactility of it is totally convincing. The first time you rip off a robot’s head or arm is an eye-opener.

6. empty_other says:

Advanced Slap Fight simulator.

Time pass when you move. When melee fighting enemies it is easy to throw a punch too early. So to pass the time you wiggle your hands until they are close enough for you to slap them.

7. Vandelay says:

Hey, stop th… Oh wait!

Superhot VR is awesome. Anyone that owns or has access to a VR headset really has to try it. It is probably the most perfect implementation of the format so far (although it did cause my brother to punch a mostly full cup of tea and spill it all over my carpet!)

I don’t think that VR as it currently is is necessarily the future, as there are still a few too many issues for it to go fully mainstream, both technically (screen-door, unreadable text, low fidelity,) and on the software side (games are short and regularly trying to just emulate traditional games.) I am certain it will become the future after another couple of iterations though.

8. milligna says:

Nobody but morons trying to goose their stock portfolio thought VR would be an overnight success. Niche is just fine as the tech and software develops.

9. particlese says:

Yes, and you’ve nailed everything I’d want to say about this game in a more eloquent and of course RPSey fashion than I can, so I’ll write no more.

10. RaymondQSmuckles says:

Just received my Oculus yesterday and spent the evening trying out the things I already own. Superhot VR is high on my list of “wanna buy” as I loved the non-VR experience. I am finding it a little difficult to adjust to the visceral qualities of VR. Even simple things, like Robo Recall or “watching a movie on top of a space station” I find almost overwhelming. But this game will get my money, I’m certain. (next payday, that is)

• Kefren says:

There are _loads_ of free experiences on the Oculus store and Steam – they are good for getting you used to it. Waltz if the Wizard (free) on Steam is good fun. Once you get your sea legs, you could try Aircar (free) on the Oculus Store. It’s basically flying around a rainy sci-fi city as if you were a blade runner, though it can make you feel very queasy. Great cockpit though.

11. FieldyGB says:

I’ve said it before and I’ll no doubt say it again, this game cost me £300 after I punched my monitor despatching a bad guy and it was totally worth it, cracking game.

Comment on this story