Hunt: Showdown’s first closed alpha begins January 31st

Hunt: Showdown

As troubled as the studio have seemed lately, I must admit to loving the look and concept of Hunt: Showdown, Crytek’s upcoming competitive monster-hunting shooter. Maybe it’s because I’ve always been a sucker for Weird West settings. Plus, you just can’t beat a chunky six-shooter and a lever-action rifle as far as satisfying videogame shootin’ irons go.

Whether you’re in it to hunt the deadliest game, or whether the Cowboys Vs Hellspawn idea appeals, the first closed alpha event for the game is just a couple weeks away and signups are still open.

For those who haven’t been following the news on Hunt: Showdown, the concept is a little bit Monster Hunter, a sprinkling of Plunkbat and a dash of Call of Juarez for flavour. Players either go in solo or paired up as bounty hunting cowboy-types on the trail of some monster escaped from the bowels of hell itself. Your goal is simple: Kill it, claim a trophy and escape alive to collect the bounty. Only problem is the other hunters after the big cash prize, and all you need to claim the money is proof that the creature is dead. You see the problem.

The flow of a match is that players will gradually work their way inwards from the edges of the map, occasionally skirmishing with NPC cultists, but constantly working their way towards a cluster of potential target locations. The lucky players that find the target first are rewarded with a boss fight, the requirement to cast a very visible ritual spell to banish the monster back to hell, and the new task of getting the hell out of dodge with every other living player on the map gunning for them.

It’s a lovely concept, and doesn’t look half bad either. My only concern is the talk of a roguelike-esque progression system where your character retains equipment upgrades so long as you survive, but if you die, only your experience level carries on to your next life.

While Hunt: Showdown has a Steam page, there’s no fixed release date or price point, and Crytek aren’t ready to push this one out to early access quite yet. If you want to get your ten gallon hat and spurs on, you’ll have to sign up for the upcoming alpha test event over on the game’s site.

1. Gomer_Pyle says:

I think I’d like this more if it were about hunting down fugitives, or some sort of rare, unknown beast (like a lost / forgotten species) The whole ‘horror’ monster thing seems a little cheesy.

2. lordcooper says:

Looks really interesting, but my heart sank at “Unlock Gear. Level Up.”.

I just don’t understand why devs feel the need to take a great idea and staple pointless meta-progression shit to it.

• WoodGuyThreepBrush says:

I’m inclined to agree. The problem with advancing meta in a multiplayer game is the snowball effect.

1. It stands to reason that the better players will win more when the stakes are even at the start
      2. They then are rewarded with being able to keep more powerful gear
      3. Making them even more likely to win now that the stakes are imbalanced
      4. Making the game unnecessarily punishing/difficult for new players

• hungrycookpot says:

Really depends how combat is implemented. If it’s as realistic as it looks in the trailer, where one good shot kills a player, they’ll die whether you hit them with a level 1 gun or a level 10, and it doesn’t matter so much about levels. Higher level players may even play more cautiously because they don’t wanna get bushwhacked and lose all their stuff. If it’s a bulletsponge fest like the Division, then it’ll suck anyways and I won’t care.

3. April March says:

Maybe it’s because I’ve always been a sucker for Weird West settings.

I wouldn’t even put that maybe for myself. I wouldn’t give this game the time of day if it wasn’t on a setting I have an inexplicable fondness for. It surely helps that I like different ways to set up PvP without requiring cooperation but going beyond ‘shoot everyone’.

4. Everlast says:

The graphics look great! Interesting premise. Seems like something I could sink my teeth into. I wonder if it will chapter or episodic kind of like Dead By Daylight with new maps and bosses being added every season or so.

5. Red_Fox says:

Looks like it has potential but also looks like it’ll get very repetitive.

6. Carl Sagans Ghost says:

I find it of noteworth (hence, I’m noting it) of the change from PUBG to Plunkbat.

Checked the Googles and found some reddit discussion from September 2017 where people comment on how RPS is trying to make Plunkbat a thing.

And an entry in UrbanDictionary, calling it stupid and citing RPS for trying to make it a thing.

7. Carl Sagans Ghost says:

Y’all have an internal memo requiring you to refer to PUBG as Plunkbat? :p

8. WoodGuyThreepBrush says:

I would rather that the game had no leveling or imbalanced advantages to experienced players.

“Plunkbat” does it right – equal opportunities from the get go, and experienced players can get flare items only