Burnout Paradise Trailer, “Ultimate Box”

By Jim Rossignol on January 26th, 2009 at 8:49 pm.

Criterion’s maniac open-world racer was one of my favourite console games last year, and the “Ultimate” edition also comprises a bran-spanking PC version, which is out February 5th/6th. The trailer after the jump, then, acts as a useful teaser for our Windows version of the game, while featuring console footage. It’s fairly safe to say that super-hi res PC visuals will make it look even more spectacular. Word has it that there’s a PC demo in the works too, which will be a timed and feature-locked version of the full game. I’ll be all over that.

Automo-biff!

__________________

« | »

, .

1. jamscones says:

Interestingly, they’ve now relented on the “no race restart” policy they’d been pointlessly pursuing. Restarty racey = sale. I might get it for 360 though, if it’s another disappointing port.

2. teo says:

Criterion said they’d never make PC games haha =D

3. Wedge says:

This port seems like they’ve been putting some real effort into it, even supporting ridiculous 3 monitor setups. And they put a lot of effort into making their own online integration, which I think was mainly seen in the PS3 version, so it’s not reliant on any haphazardly ported XBL rubbish.

4. Optimaximal says:

I thought the demo wasn’t even going to be feature limited. It’s so very near Shareware that it gives me a nice feeling inside…

5. Markoff Chaney says:

IIRC the “demo” is something like a timed window where you can install the game on any box and play for 24 hours without activation. After your 24 hours is up, you can pay the man for the whole thing. I think Sacred 2 did much the same.

I absolutely loved the Burnout series on my Big Ol XBox. This was one of the first games the wife actually liked playing with me. We still make crash noises when we’re driving around and see a perfect Crash Breaker opportunity.

6. Jim Rossignol says:

Looks like there is no feature lock on the demo, not sure where I got that from.

7. Radiant says:

I love Burnout.
    Well Burnout 2; the series went stupid after that.
    [You can smash against these cars just fine but if you sniff the panties of one of /these/ cars your car will explode like Britney at a pharmacy.]
    I love the /idea/ of Paradise hopefully it’s good.

8. Eli Just says:

If it’s on Steam I’ll get it for sure. If not, I’ll think about it. Looks like good fun.

9. Chris Evans says:

I shall be getting this, really looking forward to it. Criterion are showing other developers how to do a proper console to PC port.

10. Eduardo says:

That reminds me. I haven’t finished GRID yet.

11. Po0py says:

It kinda stinks that pc gamers have to wait this long and I know it’s better to have it than not but you can pick it up for £15 on the 360 or even cheaper if you look hard enough. I deliberatly held off buying this for my 360 knowing that it would come to pc. Cheapest price I can find is £26. The price of being loyal to your favourate platform. Am I being too anal about this?

12. MarvintheParanoidAndroid says:

Burnout is pretty much the only racing game that’s ever grabbed me (aside from Trackmania, which I’m not sure even counts as a racing game as such), so I’m definitely thinking of picking it up. It’s a pity it’s taken so long for the PC version, but it does look like this is going to be a pretty decent port.

13. Phil H says:

I’ve loved the hell out of this game on the PS3, and am seriously considering rebuying it here as well, but not until its on Steam at less than $30, as I don’t love it -quite- so much as to be willing to put up full price for it twice.

14. Dominic White says:

I’ll not be bothering with the PC port, as I already have it on the PS3 (bought it when it was re-released as a cheap downloadable title), and it looks like all of us will be in good hands. Criterion seem pretty hell-bent on making this game perfect over time. The amount of content and features they’ve added in patches since launch is massive. They’re just moving into finally selling some new content, but there’s more free stuff to come, apparently.

Not sure if it’ll be as cleanly integrated in the PC version, but the PS3 version has the best single-to-multiplayer transition I’ve ever seen. You’re driving along offline, same as always, tap the D-pad right three times, and suddenly other players appear around your map. Utterly seamless. No loading screens, no waiting for matchmaking, just *instant* sandbox multiplayer.

Really, that’s where the game shines the most. It’s very good in singleplayer, but not as focused as previous Burnouts, but there’s a solid reason for this. The whole thing is built with multiplayer in mind, and given how easy it is to get online, there’s no reason not to.

15. shinygerbil says:

I’ll be slightly tempted to re-buy it for PC, but only slightly. The 360 version was excellent.

Funny how I always saw Burnout as a kind of cheap knock-off of the old Need for Speed games – you know, the *good* ones back in the day – how quickly they changed places. ;)

16. vinraith says:

I odn’t have a next gen console yet. Normally I’d wait to buy a racing game like this until I DID have one, for purposes of playing split screen, but it seems like modern racing games don’t often support that (or if they do, they only support it in the shittiest possible ways, like not allowing any computer opponents to race WITH you). Can anyone that has the game in console form tell me what the split screen situation is with Paradise? If it’s inadequate, I’ll just get it for PC and enjoy the better graphics, easier online connectivity, and non-delayed gratification.

17. bhlaab says:

I really hope this game runs well, GTA and Saints Row were awful awful ports.

How does Saints Row 2, a game that looks like a butt filtered through a fart box, run so poorly? Come on.

18. RaFannie says:

@Teo
    When did Criterion ever mention they will not make PC games?

19. IdleHands says:

@vinraith
    Non-existent I’m afraid, with the rise of graphics it makes it hard to process two independent players on one system, and it’s far easier for them to just worry about online play than split screen. Which is a shame.

Had this on xbox when it came out, great laugh, but not sure if I’ll get this new reincarnation of it though. It’ll look prettier on my pc but I don’t have a joypad or steering wheel so the controls will be shite. I’ll try the demo though for yucks

20. Heliocentric says:

An open world city racer with destruction but on-one to run over and now a restart function sounds like the ideal game for my son.

I wonder what they’ll retail it for with it so massively reduced on consoles.

21. Simon Jones says:

Looking forward to this, as I whiled away many an hour on the office PS3. The instant restart-o-prod sounds like a savvy addition.

p.s. I’m not sure why some people are harping on about GTA IV being a bad port? It had launch issues, for sure, but the port seems pretty damn good to me. Same game, but with solid PC controls. Maybe I’m missing something? :S

Hopefully Burnout will be just as good a part. It was so slick and effortless on the PS3, I’m hoping for similar on PC.

22. Gunrun247 says:

Actually there is a feature lock, the number of cars you have access to is limited. They said so somewhere, but I don’t remember where.
    And bhlaab, they first demoed this on a 3 year old laptop with a low end core2 duo, 1.5GB of ram, and a GeForce 8600, and it looked nice and ran well too, so I have high hopes for this one running well.

23. Xyzzy says:

Wow, that looks neat-o. Might be worth a try. I loved Burnout Revenge on the Playstation 2, but the load times were incredibly super long. Are they shorter in this game?

24. Dominic White says:

No load-times at all in this one. It all plays out in one big seamless city – no defined ‘tracks’. Races just set you a start point and and end point, and let you navigate.

It’s a pretty different game to previous Burnouts, but I like the new style. The singleplayer stuff is decent, but it has *amazing* online play.

25. SavageD says:

@Phil H – I’m with you man.

I’m a PC gamer at heart, but this game simply blew me away on PS3, and what with the significant FREE updates released on console, I’m pretty close to picking this up on PC as well out of sheer love for the game and developer.

Simply, the level of post-purchse support that Criterion have showed it’s customer’s is astounding, and puts the whole Fallout 3 GFWL fiasco thing to absolute shame (as much as I love the game itself i refuse to buy anything through GFWL). I mean, I put my Burnout paradise disc in ye ol’ PS3 disc one one time, and got several hundred mbs of addon for nothing. The second time that happened, I found I was able to race motorbikes!!

Criterion deserve your monies, and this PC edition with be worth every cent.

26. shinygerbil says:

In case nobody else has noticed, this is out already, provided you pre-order from the EA Store.

(It’s not out til Friday otherwise.)

27. Heliocentric says:

You meant to say, this is available as a full price 2 year trail on the ea store.

28. Ryan says:

Can sombody tell me if there is a splitscreen mode
    end not that stopid party mode

Comment on this story