Guild Wars 2: Blog Opens And New Details

By Kieron Gillen on April 27th, 2010 at 6:00 pm.

I'm looking forward to getting some new assets, shall we say.
Five years on from Guild Wars coming out and ten from Arenanet being formed, Guild Wars 2 has just launched their blog. Over the next few days, it’s going to be releasing the first solid new information on the game in ages – and we’ve done a two part (probably) interview to tie in. However, the first post by Mike O’Brien teases much stuff. You can go and read it here, or go to my cheery bullet-point-fact-digest below.

• A lot of story personalisation, based on the character. You apparently fill out a bio which defines your background, which changes your path. Later choices alter the narrative. You interact with NPCs, adventure with them and have your moral dilemmas with them. In other words, a lot of stuff which we’ve traditionally more seen in Single-player RPGs.
  • “Each time you play through the game, you can experience a different storyline”.
  • Rather than having static quests they have dynamic ones, so you learn about what needs to be done by seeing it. The example they use is that in a trad-MMO you’d discover a village is under attack by a bloke lying there with an exclamation mark over their head telling you about that. In GW2, you’ll see the town is under attack and the people being slaughtered. You don’t need to be told to realise what Mr Hero should be doing right now.
  • While it includes traditional parties, it wants to make the game more co-operative PvE without it. They want to make people happy to see people appear in an area, rather than view them as competition for resources (like spawns, etc).
  • “When I’m out hunting and suddenly there’s a huge explosion over the next hill – the ground is shaking and smoke is pouring into the sky – I’m going to want to investigate, and most other players in the area will too. Or if the sky darkens on a sunny day, and I look up and see a dragon circling overhead preparing to attack, I know I’d better fight or flee, and everyone around me knows that too. “
  • Example of how they make people glad to help: Anyone who was 100% involved in a fight gets 100% of XP.
  • “Everyone has the same objective, and if your world can get 501 people working for the same goal, that’s only going to be more helpful than 500 people.”
  • It keeps the flexible collectible-card-game-esque system, but is trying to make it more “visceral” and “immediate”. I’d add “Transparent” to that – they’re talking about the visual effects showing exactly what’s going on, and making the process of discovering combos and counters easier.
  • All players now select their races, which gives new abilities which they can select for their build.
  • “Dozens” of environmental weapons. Remember the catapults? Lots more like that, apparently.
  • Implication that physical positioning will be key. “Avoid the Oakheart’s roots as they creep out of the ground looking to entangle you. Launch yourself on a sweeping attack that takes you behind your enemy. Smash open the garrison gate and begin your assault. Dodge out of the way before the Drake Broodmother unleashes her fire attack.”
  • Other stuff. Go read!

In short: Hurrah! Guild Wars 2! Come back tomorrow and tomorrow-tomorrow to see our interviews with Lead Designer Eric “Sacrifice” Flannum.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. ChaK_ says:

tried to play GW several time, never got the click to keep playing.

i’m sure it was a good game :/

2. Sobric says:

FUCK YES!

3. Warth0g says:

Sounds awesome – some really smart design choices if they can pull them off. It’s not going to have a subscription model though, right? Still the same model as GW1?

• Wulf says:

That is correct! They’ve stressed many times that they’re sticking to the model of Guild Wars; purchase the game and play it for as long as you like, there may be a shop for things like name and other cosmetic changes, but it won’t go beyond that, same as the one Guild Wars has, really.

4. Tei says:

There has been some games with animals roaming around and other “living stuff”, but these things take server CPU. And you want to maximize the profit by player, so you disable these things, hence, less CPU per user, hence more profit.

• Wulf says:

I believe Guild Wars 2 will have roaming animals and NPCs, out in the wild in the instances there was always plenty going on, there was very little static, especially in the missions. And they had a massive library of animals, too. I like that there’s only one particularly wolf in Guild Wars, too*, and that generally the wildlife roams around looking pretty but not really being part of the combat, since you have bigger fish to fry.

* If I’d been butted around by Old Mac’s bull in Lakeside, I’d be pissed off too.

• Tei says:

Animals or mobs? I don’t like how most games are populated by mobs like with a airbrush.

• Wulf says:

How do you separate an ‘animal’ from a ‘mob’?

I’m not being nasty or cold here, I just don’t understand the separation, that’s all!

I’ll take a stab at it and guess that if it’s friendly and doesn’t attack the player, but rather it’s just there primarily for decoration, then it’s an animal? They roam a lot, and they don’t attack the player. Unfortunately there was no ecology in Guild Wars 1, but I’m hoping there will be in Guild Wars 2.

They were as ‘animal’ as an MMORPG gets, though, in my opinion.

5. CJD says:

Any news on whether this will be free-to-play after purchasing. I really hope so!

• Wulf says:

It will be, it’s been confirmed a number of times, it’s also in their FAQ on the Guild Wars 2 site.

6. cyrenic says:

Screw The Old Republic, I’m looking forward to this much more :).

• Wulf says:

Likewise, this seems a much more exciting prospect.

Also: Charr > Wookies.

There, I said it.

7. Bob says:

Still going to be free to play as far as I know

8. The Hammer says:

Very interested in reading this blog. I’m probably not going to end up buying Guild Wars 2, but the original was my first MMO, and being interested in all aspects of the MMO industry, keeping up with design philosophies of the big-hitters is always good.

Interested also to hear how this will be a “great RPG”. I don’t think the original GW properly served that at all, but perhaps this one will!

9. The Hammer says:

Wait, scratch that. No monthly fee? I’m in.

10. Lobotomist says:

GW2 is probably the last hope of MMO. And if anyone can do it these guys can.

(i am not counting SWTOR – It will be a good game surely , but more of multiplayer singleplayer RPG)

• Wulf says:

With a bajillion buttons and an interface that looks too much like World of Warcraft for its own good.

I can’t get those images out of my head! D: Ever since I watched SW:TOR actually being played by people, and I saw that UI, that horrible UI, and all those buttons on different cooldowns, I’ll never forget it… I swear, I’m traumatised by seeing rows upon rows of buttons on cooldown, and I blame Warcraft for this.

• Lobotomist says:

As much as i am long time fan of Bioware. Every day I am less impressed by the direction SWTOR is taking. Dont get me wrong , it will be a good game. Surely well worth purchase and playing. But I am not seeing move towards betterment, or new direction. Just a stale ol’ MMO required features (and interface is prof of that)

Sure some will say that “all voiced quests” and “party influencing quest dialogue” is a whopping change. But its not.

On other hand GW2 will really change stuff. I am sure that GW2 will be nothing like any MMO before.

And if you need a proof just look at GW1 – it was and still is totally unique. Both in gameplay and buisness model.

• Wulf says:

I’ve come to like Bioware lately, after the enjoyable Mass Effect 2* and all, so I feel no particular malice toward them. One only has to watch the videos of it in play though to realise that it’s nothing new at all, it’s basically just World of Warcraft in a Star Wars skin. It’ll please the Warcraft fans and they’ll think it’s the best thing ever (and I’m glad it’s there for them), but it’s going to do nothing for those who want something new.

As for fully voiced quest dialogues, well… Everquest II beat them to it, and Guild Wars had fully voiced dialogue in every mission and major quest.

So I agree, especially about the uniqueness of Guild Wars. There are so many good things to say about it. The missions, the absolute and undeniable proof that you can have an online RPG without grind or a bajillion buttons, the party characters (especially those in Eye of the North), and so on. There’s just nothing else quite like it. I can only hope that Guild Wars 2 will leave me feeling the same way, that there are no real alternatives, because that implies true innovation.

* – Mass Effect 2 dialled itself up to 11 for me after I’d met Legion. What with him being a humanised and mostly ethical hive of software programs parading as a robot who explains his culture as being something very much like a computerised version of an anarcho-syndicallist commune. I wish there had been more involving him.

• Razz says:

The question always is: for how long will it interest the WoW fans? A lot of MMO developers seem to make the same mistakes, and they learn nothing from each other. Everyone looks at WoW’s 12 (maybe closer to 11 or 10 these days) million subscribers and thinks “I WANT THAT TOO!”. And so they make a copy of WoW in a new setting with a couple of vaguely new features.

This seems to work most of the time, at the start of an MMO’s lifecycle. WoW fans see something emerge that might finally be able to replace the game they’ve been playing for so long, and hop over to try it out. They soon realise something the developers will hopefully get to grips with sooner rather than later as well: a) WoW fans playing a copy of WoW will get bored quickly, b) everything you try and copy, WoW probably does better as it’s had 5 years to develop itself. Consequence: players get bored, move back to WoW, new MMO loses vast amounts of subscribers. When will these developers realise in the long term it may be much better to carve out a niche for themselves (like Eve did) instead of trying to grab WoW’s audience? It’d be better for them, for the players, and for the genre as more variety and innovation are good.

Oh well, they’ll just have to keep throwing away their money. I’ll continue playing WoW and will probably be picking up GW2, it looks luvly. To stay somewhat on topic, any insiders want to give me an idea if the lore is any good in Guild Wars? I never played the first one, and when I asked people what the main draw was I always got the answer I was expecting: the beautiful art and the unique combat system. The thing I like best about WoW (and I think MMOs in general) is how it presents its world, it’s quite amazing immersing yourself in something of that size and artistic beauty (with that amount of freedom in control as well, which is sadly something GW seems to lack). From what I’ve seen GW does indeed LOOK stunning, I’m just curious if the content (story-and questwise) is there to support long playtimes. As I expect I’ll sort of miss the importance of gear from WoW, I like having some new purple to strive for (sue me).

• Wulf says:

The lore is amazing. In fact, to match the insane level of detail, the only other Universe that comes to mind is the Myst Universe. They’ve really slaved over every little thing, and even within the game there are signs, plaques, loremasters, and the like which provide much more information, this has only swelled over time. I’d say that for the size of the campaigns, it really packs lore in, and it makes every other similar game look diluted by comparison.

They’ve actually got a series of books coming out too, to explain what’s happened in the 250 years between Guild Wars 1 and Guild Wars 2, the first being Shadows of Ascalon, which you might want to check out if you’re big on lore.

Just to give you an idea though, here’s a snippet about my favourite race, the Charr: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Ecology_of_the_Charr

That should get you started. But the lore of this is second to none, and only really matched by single player RPGs.

• Razz says:

I do hope they don’t do TOO much book-stuff though, one of the problems WoW suffers from is that its story is often told outside of the game. While you’re actually playing and doing the quests Blizzard seemingly expects you to have a huge background in terms of novels, Warcraft RPG books and whatnot, instead of seamlessly integrating the story into the world. Which is fine in itself if you’re into that kind of thing, the books only add more depth. But I personally like my games with a rich story and background without having to delve into sources external to the game.

Although this only becomes a problem when you’re confronted with a shitload of different characters for example and have no idea what their background is. To give one example in WoW, the king returned to Stormwind after 4 years of absence, and the only in-game explanation was a tiny dialogue box when you talked to him, no quest lines or cutscenes or anything. Blizzard assumed everyone read the comic book where his entire background and the reasons for his return are explained. Like I said, I’m cool with providing the people who go looking for that sort of stuff outside the game with more info, but I’d like to at least know what the hell is going on by just playing the game itself.

But yes, from your explanation it sounds like GW does a good job at keeping the necessary info in-game through various means, which is great. Give me in-game books and stuff to read all you want, I love that sort of stuff. Actually buying novels and the like to find out more isn’t something I’m likely to do though.

I think I’ll actually pick up the complete edition for Guild Wars or whatever it’s called once I have some more time, seems like amazing value for money at about £20 for all the campaigns without subscription fees. Can’t really go wrong with it, I already tried a trial a while ago and it seemed to have some fantastic potential. Just haven’t had the time to take a closer look yet.

• Droniac says:

Razz, comparing WoW to Guild Wars in terms of lore and world-building, is like comparing Diablo to Dragon Age in those respects. Yes, they both have lore… and a world, but one presents a simplistic abstraction of a world with forgettable characters and inane quests, whereas the other presents a well-crafted world, with memorable moments and areas, competently written dialogue and interesting characters.

Okay, so that may have been a mild exaggeration, but it should give you an impression of how much more Guild Wars is built around its lore than WoW. It doesn’t just feature quests and lines of text to give you a mild indication of what’s going on around you. It also features an actual storyline, with cutscenes and *gasp* characters. And as you explore the world you will stumble upon outposts, camps, characters and statues with their own histories… and your henchmen/heroes will chat amongst themselves, revealing some of their history, as well as more of the world’s history.

Where WoW pushes lore to the background, with nearly all of it being exposed purely through books, comics and strategy games. Guild Wars pushes it to the foreground, with all of the lore being available in the game itself. Okay, so there’s a wiki and they ship lore manuals with each chapter, but neither of these sources explain much of anything that isn’t explained in the game itself.

More importantly however, Guild Wars presents a unique fantasy world. Where WarCraft is really just a derivative of D&D/Warhammer, which shines through clearly in both the strategy games and the MMORPG, Guild Wars is utterly unlike any fantasy world you’ll have encountered before.

11. westyfield says:

If it’s a one-off purchase, I am so there.

12. BigJonno says:

Definitely going to give this a shot, especially with it lacking a subscription fee. Between MMOs and bloody Xbox Live, I’m forgetting that multiplayer can actually be free.

13. Wulf says:

I can’t express how excited I am about this.

It’s not simply that it’ll a stunning game and a simply wonderful experience in and of itself, it will be, that I know, but it’s the lore, the unabashed splendour of it all… Guild Wars is art, ArenaNet has craftsman who can only be described as creatures of living talent, anyone who’s seen the artbook can attest to this. Yet it’s more than that, even. It’s the stuff of dreams by the look of it, my dreams.

I get so tired of settings that are brown, greyed out, washed in dull colours, and generally dead to the eyes. Guild Wars has always been a visual feast, moreso than most games, and not because of polygons or shaders, either, but simply because these people were magicians when it came to crafting believable areas, and they were filled with colour, bursting with life, it felt alive.

And yet, it’s more than that.

I’m weary of playing the most ubiquitous race in existence. You see, familiarity breeds contempt of the soul, so to speak, why would I want to be watching a human bob his or her bum in my face when I see humans every day? It’s impossible not to. I crave other things, variety, novelty, and this is most important in the characters that I play. I’ve learned to overlook having to play human characters as a necessary evil… but given the option… what can I say? I’d pick Charr or a Norn Wolfman over a human any day of the week for this very reason. It’s sustenance for the imagination.

I look forward to this. I could buy the game and get my worth out of it just wandering around as a Charr with my jaw on the ground, gaping at the elegantly executed and absolutely works my eyes behold. That it’ll be a good game? That’s a bonus.

• BigJonno says:

Breathe, Wulf, breathe! I’m worried that you’re actually going to explode long before you get the chance to play the game.

I might! D:

But that’s a risk I’m willing to take!

(Probably.)

(Maybe not.)

(Breathing now.)

• HairCute says:

@wulf

But it has buttons, wulf!

• Wulf says:

Okay, I’m tired and off to bed.
      But the gist of the large message I typed up was this: I only really had six large, friendly buttons to watch in Guild Wars. Two of which I could ignore, due to one being the resurrection signet which I used only now and then, and another I had to have there to have my Ranger pet with me.
      This is versus 24 buttons, which I can’t scale up to the size of Guild Wars buttons because if I did… I wouldn’t be able to see anything, not health bars, mobs, or anything. So I’d have to scale them down to a size that would strain my eyes and make them bleed.
      Considering that they’re talking about streamlining the ‘smart skills’ (where one skill can perorm many functions) system of Guild Wars, I don’t expect that I’ll have more than six buttons to watch this time around, either.
      And considering that it’s rare for two buttons to be on cooldown at the same time in Guild Wars, I can time things more easily. This is compared to 24+ buttons in World of Warcraft where I’d have to be watching all of them…
      I’m not against some buttons, lots of games have some buttons, I’m just against having to keep my eyes focused on 24 or more tiny buttons for long periods. That’s bajillion button syndrome.

14. Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Finally, finally, finally they are starting to reveal parts of the actual gameplay. I got slightly tired of all those lore updates. Of course, what we are reading here is just a slightly more elaborate write-up of the things we heard when it was first announced, but it’s good to see they really are sticking to ideas like ability combos and deeper environmental interaction.

15. Dan says:

Fantastic news! Thanks for brightening my day : )

16. Jad says:

Wait, really?

I’ve never played a MMORPG, but every time I read a review/preview about the novel features in a new one I’m flabbergasted at how backwards and primitive they seem compared to the singleplayer RPGs I’ve been playing for years. The above sounds like the description of some NES RPG or like Ultima I or the like, not a modern game.

• Wulf says:

You really need to play World of Warcraft (or one of its clones) once, just to experience it.

You will weep. Your tears will flow like a river.

So yes, then, they’re incredibly primitive.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Or rather.. extremely shallow gameplay-wise.

17. Nick says:

I’m really, really nervous about the change from total instancing. The thing I liked about GW was that it was basically playable singleplayer or with a friend or two and you didn’t have to worry about or interact with the large amount of irritating scum that populates the towns. I can’t even repeat the stuff I frequently see in the towns in GW currently, but it’s like american teens on Xbox live only spammed in text form.

• Sobric says:

In so many ways I agree with you. I played through Nightfall and Factions (and half of Prophecies before I got bored) in an essentially single-player fashion. As you say, only in the towns did I ever run into anyone.

I am wary of the change towards permanent-world, but reassured mainly by 2 points:

1) ANET have said they want players to be able to complete the main story-line of GW2 alone, if they so wish. This at least suggests that non-instanced interaction, where it occurs, could be fairly painless. Also, playing GW1 I sometimes felt myself pining for the odd moment from other MMOs where you would run into another player – often unexpected and sometimes fun.

2) They’re going to have World PvP (as in, server to server) that is non-instanced: “the Mists”. It sounds a bit like the Frontiers in DaoC, but more awesome.

18. disperse says:

“Rather than having static quests they have dynamic ones, so you learn about what needs to be done by seeing it. The example they use is that in a trad-MMO you’d discover a village is under attack by a bloke lying there with an exclamation mark over their head telling you about that. In GW2, you’ll see the town is under attack and the people being slaughtered. You don’t need to be told to realise what Mr Hero should be doing right now.”

This is awesome and how every CRPG should do things starting… now.

• Mr_Day says:

I seem to remember Conan was meant to do something like this – not described like that, but if you had to fight and kill 3 tigers to get to a quest giver, only for him to tell you to kill 5 tigers, it would count the ones you had already killed.

Then the game was released and there was nothing like it, and no one but me seemed to remember it. Oh well.

I do hope it not only goes in, but is does it properly – there is nothing worse than responding to what seems to be a cool fight going on, only to later be given a quest to do it again.

“What is wrong with you, go and fight the kobbeldy things, there is a good chap. No, you can’t have already done it. Well, you are mistaken, off you pop.”

• Wulf says:

ArenaNet have a pretty good track record for sticking closely to what they say they’re going to do. Before Prophecies was released, the feature list sounded impossible for the game they were proposing, but the missions and everything else they talked of, with each mission being different from the last, and interactive elements coming into play within missions, all that good stuff they pulled off with aplomb.

They promised further features with Factions and Nightfall. No one quite believed that Heroes would work as well as they do, but a well managed hero in Guild Wars is actually more competent than most of the player-base, because they follow orders so well. Players had to be really good at working as a team to outdo heroes in Guild Wars, and that’s really saying something. So they did it again.

By this point, I can’t really doubt anything ArenaNet tells me. Sure, it sounds impossible, but if anyone can do it then… well, it has to be them.

• Wulf says:

Oh, and the impossible promise of no grinding, too, where grind is a purely optional thing which silly people with too much time do for worthless titles, party favours, and show-off armour. That was another impossible promise they came through on. It was possible to play straight through Prophecies without a bit of grind in PvE, and one could be even more competent than someone who spent hours grinding every day, since grinding got you nothing, and it was all about whom of those playing was a better tactician.

• manveruppd says:

You’re right for the most part, Wulf, but Heroes is the only thing where ANet dropped the ball – they spoiled PvP for a lot of people for a long time (I think they banned them from PvP recently though).

The reason they spoiled PvP wasn’t because of the Heroes themselves – they were reasonably well-behaved and semi-intelligent – but because of the fact that when they launched Nightfall they introduced a lot of easy-to-use, spammable skills. In the first two chapters decent skills had hefty recharge times so you had to be a intelligent – but because of the fact that when they launched Nightfall they introduced a lot of easy-to-use, spammable skills. In the first two campaigns decent skills had hefty recharge times so you had to be a little savvy and use them at the right time . But with Nightfall came stuff like interrupt skills with 5″ recharges, and when the recharge little savvy and use them at the right time . But with Nightfall came stuff like interrupt skills with 5″ recharges, and when the recharge is that short, you can give that skill to an AI Hero without worrying about him blowing his load prematurely to interrupt some unimportant enemy skill. In fact, the AI would be better at it because it could switch targets faster and had (literally) superhuman reaction times!

I’m confident about GW2 however because it looks like they realised their mistake. Since they said they won’t be introducing hundreds of new skills with each expansion there also won’t be that gradual “power creep” we saw in the GW expansions (especially Nightfall). This, however, raises another concern about the game: the first GW was funded through expansions (expandalones, technically),, and if GW2 expansions won’t have new skills and professions like the first one’s did, then a lot of the mostly-PvP players like me won’t be as motivated to buy them – they’ll be happy to stick with just the basic box, because there won’t be an imperative to buy the expansion to get the new skills and stay competitive. Of course, the PvE players are far far more than the PvPers, so hop[efully they’ll still be selling enough to make GW2 commercially viable.

• Nick says:

Well, not to be picky, but rangers had 3 5 sec reuse interrupts in prophecies – savage shot, concussion shot and the elite skill punishing shot. It is true that heroes have inhuman reactions to interrupt though, but as you say they are no longer useable in PvP, although there was still plenty of PvP where you couldn’t use them anyway.

• Wulf says:

I’ve never played PvP in Guild Wars so I can’t say I really care about it, sorry. I’m a PvE only player. I’m not saying this to be cold, but simply because from my perspective–as a PvE player–the addition of Heroes and the continued building of the PvE system made it the perfect game for me. They might have dropped the ball in PvP, but every last promise they made about PvE they came through with.

And I know I’m 100 per cent correct about that.

19. Prowlinger says:

YES! WANT WANT WANT!!! Loved GW1… then to LOTRO and now back in WoW… eager to move back to GW2….

Has anyone confirmed flying yet? I know we have jumping and swimming and dynamic movement (that most MMOs have now days)….

Some of the best times I had in life were in GW between level 1 and 10 in the starter areas :D

• Wulf says:

There is no flying, they confirmed this. They’re trying to stay as far away from the ‘slow movement’ (which is a part of slowing people down to make grinding even more arduous) as they can, they also dropped a comment in one interview about how the travel system would remain similar to Guild Wars.

So technically, mounts and flying don’t have a place, because usually it’s tied into grinding, and it’s just a way to move around slightly faster. When you have a perfectly competent and functional fast travel system those elements become completely useless. The Asura gates have a place in lore, and they’re not going to just be useless decoration.

20. M.P. says:

Sounds like they’re implementing some of the ideas they had in Warhammer Online (group quests and open parties), though to be fair they’ve been talking about them ever since they announced that they were starting work on GW2, which was long before WAR was released.

ANet don’t get nearly enough credit for their innovations.

• BrokenSymmetry says:

“ANet don’t get nearly enough credit for their innovations”

This I agree with. For example, their system for streaming updates is still a marvel. As is the general lack of server downtime. And no tanks or threat system, the mobs are smart enough to go directly for the low-armor party members. And playing a healer is actually fun.

21. postmanX3 says:

Guild Wars 1 was the first, last, and only MMO I’ve ever enjoyed. None of the grind, all of the satisfaction. It was fantastic.

Needless to say, any news on GW2 makes me a happy man indeed.

22. Ken McKenzie says:

I came very late to Guild Wars, unfortunately, and I love it.

However, like many others, what I love about it is that I can play with people I know well, and not be pestered by people I don’t want to play with.

I have to admit I’m concerned about those Other People, the ones that spoil things by annoying me. I really, really, really, really, really, really, really don’t want that.

But, I guess my main concern is that I’m actually only a bit of the way into Prophecies, and I want enough time to get all the way through all the campaigns. Let me finish!

• Nick says:

They aren’t going to turn GW1 off, I would defiitly play through all of the campaigns and eye of the north anyway, its all great stuff.

(apart from a few irritating missions in factions)

23. Kirian says:

Heavy says:

I AM VERY HAPPY!

24. Tunips says:

Guild Wars is the only MMO I’ve played past the free trial. It’s fun by myself, it’s fun with other people, and it’s fun as soon as I start. GW2 is a big opportunity for a shake up, and I have been watching with trepidation for signs crapulating. But everythng I see makes me more and more enthused. instead of the obvious peril of making it more like other MMOs, they seem to be making it more like Guild Wars. Hurrah for that, I say.

25. ExplosiveCoot says:

I always wanted to get into Guild Wars, but despite several tries I was never able to get much past the initial areas. The game’s pace seemed a bit too slow, and it got very very old to slog through a ton of mobs every time I wanted to go somewhere to finish a quest (of course if I didn’t kill them, I wouldn’t survive to get where I was going.)

Despite that, I’m quite looking forward to this game, they seem to have learned some intelligent lessons from MMOs past.

• Wulf says:

It can feel slow at first but I can honestly say that the game only feels that way when you don’t know what you’re doing. The reason there are so many mobs is to provide a fun sense of gameplay, like Champions Online, for example. I always thought certain other MMOs were ludicrous, with five ‘heroes’ crowding around a single mob and bashing on it, barely hurting it.

In Guild Wars, once you have your skill line-up and you know how to use it (stay away from cookie-cutter builds, they’ll harm you rather than help you, here, your best bet is just understanding the skills you use) you’ll be blasting through those mobs at speed. The only aspect of Guild Wars my memory recognises as slow anyway was the time when I didn’t know how to play it.

These days I’m a one-man army, a hurricane, and I blast through just about anything.

26. the wiseass says:

GW did everything right that other MMOs didn’t, low system requirements, brilliant graphics, even more brilliant artwork, flexible 8 skill system, mission, instances, no monthly subscription, an interesting world, an above average storyline, streaming updates, the best PvP I’ve every played in an MMO, Daniel Dociu, very low level cap, no obligatory grind, heck it ‘s nearly the perfect game.

I’ve been playing this game since the beginning now and it still fascinates me how easy it is to set up a mission with other players and how complex the skill system can be. It shows that you don’t need a million buttons on screen to make strategic gameplay, you don’t need to grind your ass off to keep people playing.

Fuck it, I just can’t say enough nice things about this game and I hope GW2 will be able to repeat that success formula.

27. Tomato says:

I think it really works best if you have friends playing with you.

28. Oddtwang says:

I second much of this comment – I enjoyed GW for a while there (came to it a bit late) and will probably get into GW2 quickly.

Oh, and Felicia Day’s doing a voice for it, which is nifty.

29. Crescend says:

Tears of joy! I’ve been waiting for this game ever since it was announced alongside Eye of the north expansion, and it just keeps getting better and better. Keep up the good work Arenanet!

30. renger says:

I read a blog, it turns out that you can not learn a second professor. I thought that the first 5 on the main pros and the rest of the other and, moreover, several srazu.Kombinatsiya professions was super chip Games. Only had to do to make Skill could take from several trades at once, rather than a secondary. That is, Bild from a combination of three professions.

31. renger says:

Sorry. The translation program, but it does not translate all the words.

32. renger says:

It was necessary to them, not to deprive of us the second trades, and to give the chance to us, to take the press from 3 trades.

33. renger says:

Friends, you know that the game will not SPC – Heroes (those that you take with you to the detachment and taught the profession)? Now you are one (!) Against the whole gang!

Dear game developers, please do not miss the company of friends at NPTS.-Heroes! Bring them into the game, please! Give ourselves decide whom to run on personal history, character.

34. rpguu says:

I first played Guild Wars over a year ago. I stopped playing after a few weeks, for various reason having nothing to

do with the game. Now I have started playing again in just the last few weeks. Although I haven’t got far in the

game, I find a healthy population everywhere I go. I would say I see about a 75% veteren to 25% new player

population. IMHO after all these years and new people are still coming to the game, I think that’s pretty healthy.

I don’t have a problem finding groups, finding information from players, etc. Most of the people I run into are

great. Of course the game has it share of elite “I’m too good to even look at you NOOB!” people, and “I’m a NOOB,

can I have some gold!” people.

You didn’t say if you were in a guild or not. I can only assume, which is a bad word, that being in a guild would

give you someone to play with, to either PVP, quest, or just have fun. As far as not wanting to grind in games

anymore, that’s pretty much what any MMO is. They aren’t designed that way, the player base makes it that way.

Everyone wants to have max everything. Most people just fly through the game, to get to the max level, max armor,

weapon, ships, etc… They miss out on the beauty of the game. http://www.rpguu.com

To be honest, the only MMO that I have played that was a true sandbox, and didn’t have a grind was EVE Online. But

not everyone likes stars and spaceships. Now if they would only make a fanasty MMO just like EVE, that would be

great!

1000K=150 ectos=58$

35. GW 2 Gold says:

I like this game very much.
    This post give me some help.

36. buyrunescapegold says: