Xmasclusive: Killing Floor Christmas Event!

By Jim Rossignol on December 9th, 2010 at 10:08 am.

Last night I got an exclusive sneak preview of the Christmas update to Killing Floor, in which the familiar range of nightmarish mutants are replaced with an even more disturbing group of gingerbread men, murderous elves, fiery snowmen, and super-powered death Santas. It’s an impressive piece of work, and also a little strange, and comes with free stuff for TF2 players. More on these things, to the slightly off-key tune of Jingle Bells, below. (Also, a seasonal trailer.)

Killing Floor, in case you happen to be unfamiliar with it, is an Unreal-based mod that found itself evolving into a full-blown commercial release. That commercial release was – if I recall correctly – a little overshadowed by Left 4 Dead, which was a shame because Killing Floor is a strong game with a pace and character all its own. The heart of the game is, essentially, fighting off waves of mutants while you make your way around a map, traveling between “shop” points, which open up for weapon purchases between rounds of combat. It’s totally co-operative, so it’s about killing the monsters together, and keeping everyone alive. On the Hard setting, that was actually fairly tricky, as I was to discover.

So anyway, I was able to drop in on a game with Tripwire, who are gearing up to launch this Christmas event, for free, for everyone who owns Killing Floor. I suppose it’s a kind of temporary free DLC. The overhaul of the game for seasonal horror is pretty comprehensive. There’s an entirely new map, Evil Santa’s Lair, which is bedecked in grotty grotto gumph, Christmas lights, trees, presents, and snow. Into that level are injected a series of familiar, yet different, Killing Floor mutants. The crawlers have been decked out with bells and antlers, the Fleshpound is a Nutpound, the stalkers are Santa’s helper ladies, and the patriarch boss monster, well, let’s just say he’s now the daddy of Christmas. The new monsters are beautifully done – amazing for a time-limited one-off event like this. (Although I should think they will roll out next Christmas, too.)

I had riot in last night’s session, playing through three games on the new map. The balance of the game is, of course, precisely the same, because it’s a reskin. But the new map is entertaining, and KF itself has had a few tweaks since I last played it. Six of us battling away around the level was great, even if I was the newbie journalist without much grasps on the finer points of the game. Taking to the enemies with a fire axe, because you’ve burned through your ammo, feels splendidly heroic. KF’s weapons remains splendidly solid too. It’s perhaps the player models that make it for me, though, particularly the Grenadier Guard in his bearskin hat. There’s even a new Santa player model, a rough-looking faker who wouldn’t look out of place on “Santa – no!”. All in all, it could be the best single Christmas comedy event ever.

But there’s actually more to this, too, because there’s even a crossover with Team Fortress 2. The pyro from TF2 will be appearing in Killing Floor as a new player model (although this one seems unambiguously male) and there will be a new hat unlocked for TF2′s Pyro – a gas mask and tie from KF, as you can see below. Presents!

The Killing Floor “Twisted Christmas” Event will be running from December 14th to January 4th. It’s probably worth an RPS Game Club event, or something, right? Okay then.

, , .

1. DJ Phantoon says:

So, I have to buy this, too. One question though, what the hell does it say on the end of the gas mask intake? Something something “in Russia”?

‘Nother question, actually. Any idea if the game is gonna get other deal, or do I have to shell out 20 bucks to get in on this? The complaints about the bullet time were the one thing keeping me away, but if I get to shoot dyslexic Santa…

UW says:

This game turns up in a lot of Steam deals. I’d be hugely surprised if it didn’t turn up in the inevitable upcoming Christmas sale.

• Inigo says:

“Made in Russia”.

• Bioptic says:

Given Tripwire’s love of realistically recreating military hardware, it seems to be an exact copy of this:

Thermal Ions says:

The “bullet time” occurrences are pretty well balanced, and can come in useful in the harder difficulty levels.

• SGTCB says:

DJ Phantoon it says Russia on it cause Mr.Foster wear this old cold war Russian gas mask

• dragon_hunter21 says:

Looks like a Russian GP-5 gas mask, just textured to look like leather. I own one, and I can tell you that’s what it looks like. Eye holes are a little big, and it doesn’t cover the whole head- the back of the neck is uncovered- but beyond that it’s a spitting image.

That mask is super uncomfortable, though. I think I’ll stick with my M61 for zombie-killing, thankyouverymuch.

• Chizu says:

I fully expect the game to go on sale when this event starts, it seems the most ideal time.Draw people in with the event, tf2 items and a price reduction all at once? Who could say no.

• fish says:

killing floor is a great game, definatley worth the money. U get 6 perks that u can level, over 25 guns, and over 15 characters. Been playing it for 2 years, still my favorite game.

UW says:

Ah.. I’ve had Killing Floor for some time and not actually played it. This is a good reason for me to get on it. Actually I think it’s been over a month since I shot any zombies at all, which is ridiculous. I shall be rectifying that post-haste. Maybe afterwards I’ll play some Killing Floor – hahaha!

I do think it’s kinda cool that Valve are allowing other games to unlock content in TF2. I understand that it might seem a bit gimmicky and some people are upset about the whole thing. I admit that from a purely selfish perspective I wish that TF2 didn’t have a “store”, especially for items which actually affect the way you play the game – but I understand why they’ve done it.

In terms of adding hat unlocks to other games, though, that’s fantastic. Especially games which stand up very well on their own merits as opposed to seemingly just being a vessel to unlock items (Poker Night, I’m looking at you). I think it has the potential of introducing great new games to people that simply wouldn’t be interested in them otherwise.

Imagine – a die-hard TF2 player wanting a new gas mask and ultimately becoming a huge fan of Killing Floor! Wouldn’t that be lovely?

• BooleanBob says:

Truth be told, I left TF2 a while back (or rather it left me, one of the updates pushing my ancient PC beyond the cusp of playable performance) and as a relatively partial observer, it is a little bemusing* to see the game slowly becoming the means by which Valve coerces the completionist within every gamer to buy every thing with a price tag on Steam. Gotta catch em all, hat-maniacs!

* And I really do mean a little. It’ll take an awful lot more for me to be de-icing the windshield of the Angry Tank.

Harlander says:

it is a little bemusing

It confuses you?

• Anonymousity says:

Harlander I think you have failed to understand the subtleties of the word “bemuse”.

3. Ricc says:

It’s pretty amazing. There is always something awesome going on on Steam, often for free. Thanks TW, I love it! :)

4. fuggles says:

It’s a post of me completely missing everything. I heard no jingle bells and I still really, truly hate killing floor and want valve to strike it from my list. The newest problem was that I heard no jingle bells, even in the trailer? Sounded more like the dance of the sugar plum fairy and then KF’s usual tripe soundtrack.

5. Soulsick says:

Damnit, I need the holiday for working! Not for trying to get KF achievements and goodies before they disappear. I wish they wouldn’t remove them after Xmas.

Sinomatic says:

Might re-install it and give it another go. I played KF for a bit, but apart from the iron sights and the bullet time (which I found quite enjoyable), it just couldn’t compare to my beloved L4D in terms of gameplay, and more importantly, fun.

And it was ugly. So, so ugly. Which it doesn’t appear to be in this video. Has there been some graphical updatery going on? (I’m not one of those graphics > gameplay folk, but if I’m not really enjoying the game to begin with, the ugly gets too much).

• DoucheMullet says:

Have you messed with the graphics at all? The game looks fine to me.

Thermal Ions says:

It really is best played with a group of friends. As with most co-op games with pubbers, they can be hit and miss (mostly miss).

Sinomatic says:

I did the relevant fiddling with the graphics at the time, yes, and it was still ugly. It does look better in that video though. To be honest I think the intended look/design of the game is off-putting to me somehow. I find Deus Ex prettier and less offensive to my eyes than this *shrugs*

I did play KF many times with a few mates, and also on servers with some really decent folk, in terms of friendliness and ability. I still didn’t find it to be something I felt really compelled to play. I never came out of it with those special kind of experiences and moments that I got in abundance playing in L4D. The adrenalin-pumping, story-creating kind of moments, the ones you tell your friends about.

If someone could make a bullet-timey, iron-sighted L4D mod, I think I’d be a happy little thing indeed.

(I actually don’t like to compare L4D and KF – I don’t think its fair since they’re very different games, but it just happens to be the other co-op thing at that time I was playing and really enjoyed).

7. bloodpukesalvation says:

it it drops to $10 or $12 as a special on steam sometime in the next week or two ill pick it up. seems entertaining enough but i just recently got l4d2 so my zombie hunting craving is reasonably subdued for the moment.

8. CMaster says:

I’ll just leave this here

Also, just to say that this is maybe enough reason to pick up Killing Floor, if it also goes on sale.

• Skurmedel says:

Was going to see that movie at the cinema but never did. It looked amazing…

Tripwire is a nice developer. KF doesn’t reach the greats of RO but it’s still good if you like that kind of game.

• CMaster says:

Sadly, there isn’t much to the movie that isn’t in the trailer – more humour, and there is a bit of a twist – but you get a general impression of all the big events there. It’s certainly a fun ride of a movie, but it isn’t as out and out crazy as I’d hoped.

• Skurmedel says:

Ok. Was somewhat expecting it :D The concept is interesting though hehe.

Sinomatic says:

That looks awful. In a good way.

*added to lovefilm list*

9. Dominic White says:

One thing I find really interesting/neat about Killing Floor is that it’s designed with long-term progression in mind. The higher difficulty settings are literally impossible for newer players, but as you go up the ranks on each of the classes, you’ll gain that little extra edge you need to survive the harder challenges.

A level 0 Berserker starts out with the ability to move slightly faster with a knife than the other classes, and not get grappled. A top level Berserker moves like the Doom Guy, soaks up melee damage like it isn’t even happening and spawns with a chainsaw.

• MajorManiac says:

The Berserker is my favourate class. It took an age to get to level 6 but it really felt worth while when I got there.

I think its a shame there are only 6 levels. It would be nice if it continued higher, but with much higher costs in expirience to pregress.

10. Wilson says:

Cool stuff! I do like a bit of Killing Floor.

11. Balhazer says:

Lets call it a RPS Game Club event or “MEN KILLING MENZets”

12. dethtoll says:

Sometimes I really wish I could enjoy Killing Floor, then I remember that stupid bitchfight with the original creator because he couldn’t handle that I didn’t like that KF 2.0 (back when it was still a UT2K4 mod) had thrown out everything that made 1.0 special and he spent at least two YEARS trying to troll me, getting his sycophants to join in.

So no, I’ll stick with L4D, which is actually fun.

• Matt says:

So what does that have to do with the standalone version?

• dethtoll says:

Is the standalone version fundamentally different from the mod version? Not particularly. The only difference is, now Alex Quick is getting money for it.

• gigantichorseschlong says:

nobody cares.

• dethtoll says:

I care!

• Mistabashi says:

You should probably think about why you care. Because apparently winning some years old argument on the internet is important enough for you to bring it up whenever RPS posts about Killing Floor…

I wonder if Alex Quick remembers this alleged torrent of abuse he poured upon your innocent, undeserving self? I suspect the answer is “no”, so most likely you are indeed the only person in the world who actually cares. Time to let it go, man.

• William Suitt says:

What? You think you are the only one he did that to? Besides KF is great and Tripwire is running it now, so get over it and play KF AND Left 4 Dead, which I must say is a very fun game.

13. ROFLGASM says:

if only i had money to spend

14. KillerStar says:

Is that a player model as well? (Referring to the Nut Cracker like Solider)

15. BloodFox1222 says:

I am personally happy about the new stuff, But none of its going to be everlasting? I dunno, It seems like all new skins and a map is alot of work for a couple week long event..