Hi Seas, Lo Fidelity:Treasure Adventure Game

By Adam Smith on November 21st, 2011 at 4:54 pm.

Given the economy, being a treasure hunting adventurer is actually a good plan for recent graduates

Gold bullion! Pieces of eight! Booty in unimaginable quantities! All these things and more await in free open world platformer Treasure Adventure Game. It’s a rather self-explanatory title, like if David Cameron went by the name Laminate-Face Eton Man or Richard Branson was simply called Money Beard. TAG, as I’m calling it, is the first release from Robit Studios, which appears to be a fellow by the name of Stephen Orlando. There’s a downloadable beta available now and the finished release should be available next weekend. For free! The simple aesthetic and emphasis on exploration remind me of Knytt but there are plenty of baddies to fight as well. It says so right there in the trailer, which is buried beneath the X below.

I’ve only played for a little while but it’s charmed the pegleg off me. I’m supposed to be playing big, important games that are probably quadruple A titles but I’d rather spend a few hours adventuring for treasure. Global communications are all well and good, but this is the sort of pleasant discovery the internet was invented for.

Download the beta here.

Via IndieGameMagazine.

, , , .

1. MOKKA says:

Whoever you are: You should play this game.

2. Manburger says:

Reminiscent of Knytt = Instant download!
    That is high praise indeed. The trailer also reminds me of Seiklus (with elements of Castlevania). Looks radical!

3. JackDandy says:

Hey, this looks sweet. Downloading. Thanks for the heads-up!
    Shouldn’t we wait for a full game, though? Is there even a release date?

4. danimalkingdom says:

This looks charming. Some of the environment art looks a bit placeholder which is a shame, but massive kudos to mister orlando-man.

5. danaral says:

dc skateis a famous brand of skate-wear. It started as a core skate shoe company back in 1994. What began as essentially the footwear spinoff for then popular skate-wear brand grew into a massive footwear empire expanding outwards from skateboarding to embrace other athletes, sports and lifestyle markets as one recognizable footwear brands of today.
    The news comes from http://www.cheap-dc-cap.com. We are the DC caps offer. And we provide you with variety of fashion design Cheap dc caps, DC caps wholesale and Discount DC shoes

6. realmenhuntinpacks says:

Money Beard = amazing. I’ve lit a small fire in celebration.

7. Agaetis181 says:

If you’re a fan of platformer/adventure/action/puzzle games, you NEED to play this. Indie game of the year, in my opinion. PLAY IT!!!

8. rayne117 says:

I like Treasure Island too.

9. Shazbut says:

Looks tremendous. If it’s at all non-linear a la Knytt or Terraria then I’ll be all over this like a rash

10. pvthudson01 says:

Umm isnt this basically Terraria?

• JackDandy says:

What does it have to do with Terraria, besides being 2D? I swear, some people…

• Agaetis181 says:

So any game that is 2d and retro-ish is a Terraria clone? … I think you need to go back to the gamefaqs/ign/gamespot forums.

• JFS says:

It looks a lot like it in some scenes. However, it seems there is a lot more content, alternate dimensions, puzzles and the like. But really, the similarity (at least judging from the trailer) is there.

• MOKKA says:

This game has way more in common with games like Metroid or Zelda, then with Terraria.

• Loque says:

I agree with bildo, it looks like a modded version of Terraria. Some stuff shown in the trailer seems a direct reference to Terraria.

11. bildo says:

the music in the trailer is some of the worst old style videogame music I’ve heard in a long time :X I’m sure I’ll give this game a fair shot anyway after i finish the next round of silly tests. Can anyone else opine on the games music? Does it vary at all? I hope so.

• maktacular says:

to begin with i thought it was going to slide into the kind of digital pirate music you got with the first couple of monkey islands. alas it does sound a bit repetitive.

12. MadMatty says:

Looks awesome, just saw the intro- well put together- looks like they know their craft. Maybe storytelling and execution will win this time? (i mean, its an 8-bit style 2d platformer)

Will try it later

13. ChainsawCharlie says:

If the full version is out next week why would I want to play the beta now?

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Er.. sure, you don’t have to? But.. you know, should you feel like it, there it is. Nothing wrong with that, right?