Uncle Enclosure: Antichamber

By Adam Smith on February 28th, 2012 at 4:34 pm.

good question

First-person puzzle ‘em up Antichamber took one look at physics, shook its head, sucked on its teeth and then set to work rejigging the whole sorry show. And why shouldn’t it? Aren’t you tired of the space contained between four walls having to match up, size-wise, with the area as viewed by an outside observer? If a man chooses to enter a maze and turn left at every junction, why shouldn’t the maze be nonchalantly rerouting itself behind his back and then turning into a psychedelic lightshow? Yes, Antichamber, your approach to physics is erratic and haphazard, and that is why you continue to be of interest. Trailer below.

Let’s have a release date, please, Euclidean or otherwise.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. MichaelPalin says:

Nice to hear that he has eventually transformed this into a game, it’s definitely an innovative game that everybody who considers themselves gamers should try. The analogies between the puzzles and real life philosophical lessons were rough at best, but it works great as a game. I wonder, though, what is different from the UT3 mod, it was a very complete experience back then.

Please, no Steam-exclusive, please?

• pydsgfjia says:

It’s interesting to realize how Portal has spawned two separate trends in gaming: hostile narrators/advisors, and physics-bending first-person puzzlers. http://tigg.in/21e691

• hatseflats says:

Holy shit, the spam has gotten constructive. Appropriate XKCD comic

• Raticus79 says:

Nah, it’s just taking a random comment from below and using it to reply to the first post with the payload link. Smart idea of the spammers, but can’t say I’m happy to see it happen. Fooled me a few times before I caught on. If they randomly got good comments on sites with comment rating, you’d see spam bots with +karma…

2. Maldomel says:

I’m a bit sad to say this, but the trailer would go well with some wub wub.

3. chokoladenudlen says:

I needed a trip to the dictionary to clarify what “sucking your teeth” means.
    I of course first tried horribly disfiguring my mouth in various ways to see if I could produce an acceptable output; sucking the upper teeth is easy, but getting your upper lip behind your lower teeth with the meaty-wet side out is quite the challenge.

Huh? Off-topic you say?

4. terry says:

Beautiful sound design. Release! Release!

5. ghling says:

Why do videos like this need to have so short sequences in it? The only thing I now know about this game is that it is very colorful, that’s all. I have no impression about the gameplay nor the puzzles.
    Is it really that hard to make a video in which people actually understand how the game is designed and works so they get an impression if this is a game they might enjoy (or not)?
    Game videos like this on just angers me.

• diamondmx says:

Could be worse, could be one of those really poor game demos. Like the ones that are 10 minutes long, 8 minutes of which is cutscene. Or the ones that are in a different genre of gameplay from the majority of the actual game (I’m looking at you Brutal Legend)

• Shadowcat says:

Agreed. There was no obvious intersection between the textual description in this story and the content on display in the embedded video trailer. The description makes me interested enough that I expect I’ll really like the game. The trailer, OTOH, gets a big yawn, and on its own would be grounds for instant purging from the memory (well, maybe with the exception of the enthusiastic quotations from people who had presumably seen something different to what we were shown here).

6. Stuart Walton says:

I assume that this is what Hazard has eventually turned into?

7. MuscleHorse says:

Sorry for the following low-content post:
    Want.

8. Phasma Felis says:

I like both of those, so it’s a good thing.

9. SuperNashwanPower says:

This looks really linear, which in a non-euclidean space means that you will have finished before you start.

It doesnt look linear really. I was making a physics joke.

Thank you for reading.

10. dazman76 says:

Hmm, those sequences really are short as mentioned by another poster. But HOLY… I need this game.

11. Borborygme says:

Was this video aimed at informing about the game or infuriating by showing as little as possible? Either way, the second option happened to me.

12. PJMendes says:

Even the trailer is pretentious, god damn

13. Shooop says:

I’m awful at puzzle games, but I’m terribly intrigued by this one.

14. Synesthesia says:

wow. I wasnt expecting something like this today. One of the most beautiful trailers i have seen and heard.
    Loved at a distance, lets hope more art directors get to speak up on the game design table.

15. noom says:

Sweet. I haven’t enjoyed non-euclidean geometery in a game since Duke Nukem 3D.

Comment on this story