Stark Footage Of The Game Of Thrones RPG

By Craig Pearson on March 14th, 2012 at 10:12 am.

This is what happens when you spoil GoT
I’m starting to feel like an embedded reporter in Westeros. There are too many games of Games of Thrones. Cyanide’s take is an RRPG (sic) in the same vein as Dragon Age II. The combat system’s tweak to that format means that instead of pausing battles to pick the best strategic outcome, things instead just run very slowly. I believe it’s their criticism of how long it took George to write that last book. It’s also supposed to reflect the tension of the world’s fights, as well as letting you direct friendly combatants and selecting stances. I’ve played loads of games, and I’m not sure that’s possible. I had to put one book down after a chapter, then when I returned the next chapter made me do the same. It was too awful. Hold me.

There’s more info here, with clear views of the classes and skill trees for the two main characters.

Ooh, it’s out on May 15th.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. DogKiller says:

I just finished reading A Dance With Dragons the other day. I haven’t had such a laborious read in a very long time. The first three books were brilliant, but with this one I just couldn’t wait to finish it so I could read something else. It felt like a rather large chore, an obligation rather than something exciting and pleasing to read. The book would have been better if half of it had been cut completely, because the good parts got swallowed in a sea of filler and were much diminished by it.

• orient says:

Haters everywhere we go. Haters everywhere we go.

Nah, for me the boring book was A Feast for Crows. I’m 350 pages into A Dance with Dragons and can’t put it down, but it felt like next to nothing happened in the third book. It went a little like this: Interesting chapter. Cersei chapter. Interesting chapter. Cersei chapter. I understand why it was like that, but still.

• DogKiller says:

What’s a hater?

• sonofsanta says:

Agreed that Feast of Crows was the boring one, by the end of the book I wasn’t sure what had actually happened. Brienne seemed to wander in 4 different directions when it could’ve been written that she just went where she was going. Far too much filler going on. DWD is better but some chapters are still very filler.

Also: why am I having to watch an advert before watching a trailer? I am voluntarily watching your promotional materials and now you’re wasting 30s of my time making me watch something unrelated still? Takes the piss a bit, you might say.

• arrjayjee says:

I think I”m alone in liking AFFC. I enjoy the one-off chapters that show you the perspective from side characters and really set the scenes for just how fucked up the world is, mostly thanks to Joffrey’s one moment of stupidity, and how it’s slowly getting worse and worse as Autumn gets colder and deeper. And while I don’t enjoy Cersei’s chapters I do enjoy seeing her slowly go nuts and dig herself ever deeper thinking she’s some deep-thinking manipulator.

Then again, I did have to put off reading AFFC for some time since after the third book I was so emotionally drained I couldn’t bear to ontinue for a while. It sounds dumb, but that’s how I felt, but perhaps the big break between the two helped it feel “fresh” when I read it. And Brienne’s chapters, wow, she went nowhere and took forever to do it, huh.

• neonordnance says:

I think one of the main problems with AFFC is that it comes directly after the best book in the series! It’s difficult to compete with the action of ASOS. Or the body count, for that matter.

• Lurklen says:

I liked Feast, though I admit it felt short after the long wait between books three and four. And I enjoyed Dance though it felt like it dragged in some spots.

• HothMonster says:

Brienne the Boring

• finniruse says:

I totally agree. The first 3 were brill and whoever thought it was a good idea to cut half the chapters should be shot. What was even worse, for me, was that I listened to the audio books and in the fourth onethey decided to change the narrator. The first three were narrated by the astonishingly good Roy Dotrice and the fourth by some absolute cock. Roy returned for the fifth book but by that time he must have been pushing 80 and he’d forgotten the voices. The producer didn’t even check to see if he had them right and so Danerys sounded like some old crone. That guy also should have been sacked. Ruined the last two books for me. Rant over, phew. I’m still bitter as I’m sure you can tell. Game looks good though!

• Triangulon says:

I too enjoyed the first three books. A Feast for Crows I really struggled with which is saying something as I even liked the middle books in the Wheel of Time. Honestly, I can’t convince myself to read A Dance with Dragons. There is too much other good literature on my to-read list.

• theblazeuk says:

Apparently Dotrice didn’t do Feast for Crows due to serious illness. I know what you mean about Daenyrys in the last book though.

Still John Lee (who did Feast) isn’t a cock! He’s great when he’s doing Alastair Reynolds books but they have a much smaller cast. And after Dotrice no one would really have sufficed

• finniruse says:

I saw an interview where he said they just didn’t ask him. I was being harsh about John Lee though. I’ve heard he’s good but I found him extremely wooden in comparison to Dotrice, and he does that over emphasis of the “WH” on words like “where”. If you’ve seen Family Guy you’ll know what I mean. Really annoying!!

• Karazax says:

Roy Dotrice recently recorded Feast for Crows, but I haven’t listened to it. I agree that his changes of some of the character voices in Dance was disappointing.

• finniruse says:

That’s amazing news. I wish I’d waited a few months now. Don’t think it was his fault with the voices. He’s ancient. The producer should have been right on top of that.

• AmateurScience says:

Truly I have never read a book that takes so long to do so little.

Also it has the dubious honour of being the only book I’ve ever read where I was aware that there were other, better things I could be doing with my time.

• MistyMike says:

You’ve never read Terry Pratchett then.

• gwathdring says:

It’s perfectly fine if you dislike Pratchett, but I’m a little bemused that you would lump him in with drawn-out epic fantasy. He writes short, pithy, one-off fantasy novels. They aren’t usually supposed to be particularly well plotted in a traditional sense and are aiming more at getting a lot of gags packed in. It isn’t for everyone, certainly, but it his books hardly take very long to get where they are going. Or were you more talking about the “being aware you could be doing something better” bit? Because that’s much more subjective and entirely yours to say.

• Space_Masters says:

Dance With Dragons was better than Feast For Crows, but still managed to annoy me. Tyrion, the most interesting and likable character of the first 3 books, was just so irritating in DwD. When he said “cheesemonger” the first time, it was mildly funny, but when he said it the thousandth time I would’ve almost rather he asked, “where do whores go?” again.

There also was not enough payoff in the book. Almost every chapter was spent talking about some dream or all the heraldry of every knight present, then, just when some shit starts to go down, the chapter ends. 10 chapters later when it finally gets back to that character, it’s a week later and you miss all the action.

This game does look pretty cool, though.

• orient says:

I mistyped in my OP when I said it felt like nothing happened in the 3rd book — everything happened in A Storm Of Swords. It was incredible. I meant the 4th book. There was so much political machination and character building but so little payoff. I still really enjoyed it, though because I love the world, characters etc. Not the hugest fan of the Free Cities — it’s hard to distinguish the locations from one another in my head for some reason, but it’s a good contrast to Westeros. I appreciate that Martin’s world is in fact a world, with geographical diversity and not the Star Wars “this world is a forest” or “this world is a desert”.

I love it, yes I do. What I won’t love is this game.

2. Noxy says:

Ohhh! I see what you did there Mr. Pearson!

3. Stevostin says:

First footage I see that looks inspiring. Not a big fan of TPV but must admit it makes perfect sense for the action. And the action really looks good – good anim, art, and gameplay.

• Fumarole says:

Not for me. Something about watching an archer shrug off multiple sword blows while drawing his bow to shoot someone within arm’s reach takes me right out of the action.

4. jezcentral says:

I like the sound of that combat, slow-mo instead of paused. (I admit to taking a guilty pleasure in seeing DA2′s mooks’ gibs suspended in mid-air during combat. Seeing them fly slowly through the air would definitely add comedy value).

5. Sian says:

Listening to this guy trying to make run-of-the-mill features sound like something interesting and new made me cringe a little. So the two characters play differently, do they? And there are classes in which you can specialise, but you can also multiclass, but won’t get the higher tier abilities if you do? That’s new and exciting!

The only difference to most RPGs is that instead of pausing, you slow down time, and that doesn’t sound very interesting to me – well, except for what jezcentral said about the slo-mo gibs, maybe.

• puppybeard says:

I like how the game looks, but you’re right. The video would be better if he said “typical action rpg features will be present” and let us watch the sword-on-beard action.

• Miltrivd says:

“Sword-on-beard action”. Many thanks for the good natured laugh.

On the other hand, game looks good, not ground breaking, not innovative. It just looks good, after Dragon Age: Origins I haven’t played a game like this and I do miss one good enough to deliver. I’m waiting for it.

6. Evilpigeon says:

They’re talking about the combat system… Am I being too cynical if I assume this is going to be a mindless hack and slash with a few locations from the books splashed about as backgrounds?

Seriously, when RPG come to just mean ‘killing things with a (small) side of talky bits’ what’s wrong with variety, I could already go and waste my money of DA 2 or Kingdoms of Amalur if I wanted more 3rd person medieval combat. There’s not going to be any reason to pay attention to this apart from the odd reference to the universe, seems like a waste of an IP to me.

7. Brothabear says:

that looks so watered down..

8. Blackcompany says:

Wow, weapons passing right through characters. No impact, no physics. Little green and read circles underneath characters. This makes Skyrim’s combat looking positively exciting by comparison.
    Tell me, is it too late for them to turn this game into something people will actually want to play? Cause right now, about the only way in which it looks faithful to GRR Martin is the fact that playing this, will be almost as much a chore as reading his later works.

• Brun says:

Seems like I say this in every Game of Thrones article, but Crusader Kings is the game that is most faithful to GRR Martin.

• Grygus says:

Looks fun to me. I just want to play a game. I’m not much interested in a medieval combat simulator where every swing is dodged, parried, or deadly. D&D taught me long ago that you must strike an opponent several, sometimes even dozens, of times while he remains at full combat capability until he suddenly drops dead. I have no problem with that combat model, and judging by the way D&D-inspired combat dominates video gaming I would guess most people do not.

Now that you make me think about it, though… I do like Mount & Blade, which is a lot closer to the game you’re looking for. So I guess I’m not really against you, I just think they’re both fun? I don’t know what my point is now. I wonder whether there are any burritos left in the freezer.

9. diamondmx says:

Video could do with some work, was a bit bland compared to previous articles

“Content is unavailable”

10. puppybeard says:

It certainly looks nice, but I’ll wait for the demo before passing judgement.

11. Bobtree says:

A Dance With Dragons is the next book on my pile, but I can hardly get up the interest to start it when I have so many games to play.

12. Skabooga says:

Just like a thief to bring a knife to a halberd fight.

13. Drinking with Skeletons says:

Looks rather intriguing. The combat looks like KotOR’s a bit: some flash disguising a pretty basic turn-based system. It also looks acceptable: I’ll take a good framerate at that level of detail over a Crytek slideshow.

14. Fanbuoy says:

So the combat looks kind of awful. I’m not saying boring, I’m saying it’s ugly. That doesn’t really bother me much though, as long as it’s fun to play. But what’s up with the direterriers?

15. serioussgtstu says:

The RPS comments section: where pc gamers go to talk about books. Because fuck logic.

16. Yuri says:

The first screenshot looked exactly like Dark Souls for me, at least until i actually read the title of the article.

Not sure what to think of that.

17. dogsolitude_uk says:

I’m really looking forward to this. I recently rediscovered my love of reading, and have started reading through Game of Thrones, and doing so gave me the same snuggly warm feeling I get when I find myself deeply involved in a good game.

Which in turn is the same sort of snuggly warm feeling I get from immersing myself in a good book.

Hm.

18. Ninja Foodstuff says:

Apparently as I am 112 years old I cannot watch this video.

Comment on this story