Everybody Expected It – Dragon Age III: Inquisition

By John Walker on September 17th, 2012 at 4:33 pm.

Sorry it's not another picture of a map.

BioWare have just officially announced Dragon Age 3. It has, of course, already been discussed in public as long ago as April, making an official announcement a touch silly. But it does at least have a name now. Dragon Age III: Inquisition, and it will be made in the Frostbite 2 engine. Which if you were of a curt enough mind, you might describe as the first full Dragon Age sequel.

Of course, we already knew the name too, albeit in a list of possible candidates that were leaked last month. That leak also told us it would likely be set on the continent of Orlais, with a heavy emphasis on a schizm within the mythos’ most interesting aspect and history, the world’s dominant and dominating religious organisation, The Chantry.

That’s not been confirmed by BioWare today, and they’re not planning to say anything useful for a while. Nor have the probably also true rumours that the player will be a member of the Inquisition, with a number of choices of how to approach the game. However, we do know that the original Dragon Age: Origins team are working on the game, and have been for a couple of years already – those are promising signs, after what was obviously meant to just be an expansion pack got painfully stretched out into a first sequel.

PS. This makes an interesting time to note that after we wrote our story detailing the leaks posted on NeoGAF, we were contacted by a third-party marketing company, sending us a vaguely legally threatening email demanding that we take the information down. We didn’t, of course, and it does rather seem to have proven to be true! (We were also slightly amused by this email actually confirming that the list of possible subtitles we had posted as a rumour were in fact definitely true.)

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. tlarn says:

My only reaction’s a shrug of the shoulders. I wasn’t all that interested in Dragon Age when I had the chance to rent it, nor do I have the time to sink into a long-winded BioWare RPG.

• sPOONz says:

Brilliant comment. Thanks.

• cowardly says:

You’ve never played part 1 and possible 2, but you think people want to hear your thoughts on part 3? Alright, thanks for the input I guess! You must be everyone’s favorite friend in conversations.

• int says:

And yet, it’s okay to do when it comes to CoD.

• scatterbrainless says:

To be fair, CoD is pretty transparently the repetition of a formula made out of money and cynical tears

• Davie says:

I love it when people make an effort to let the world know they don’t give a shit.

• PopeJamal says:

What a bunch of defensive a-holes. Let the guy have a god damned opinion. Jesus Christ…

2. Dick_Sweat says:

Will it be awesome like DA2?

• Tritagonist says:

Only if you press the right buttons will something awesome happen!

On a more serious note, I’m very sceptical about this after Dragon Age 2 with it’s bland texture work, some downright atrociously bad 3D models, bad recycling of environments, wave based combat that scored very high on the ‘not cool’ charts and a storyline that had an admittedly interesting concept but seemed to lack a lot of the meat on the bones.

• lcy says:

Also sceptical, for largely the same reasons. I pre-ordered DA2 on the strength of DAO, a mistake I won’t be repeating this time.

• ocelot113 says:

Same

Continuity says:

pre-ordering is a fools game.

Yes I’m calling you all fools for paying up front for a product of undetermined quality.

• Sheng-ji says:

Though I’m sceptical, I do intend to give this game a fair chance. I like Bioware games, always have and DA2 is unique for me in that I couldn’t bring myself to buy it after playing the demo and reading the reviews. Would be good to see if the modding community has sorted out DA2 as well, I will happily purchase it if this game turns out to be halfway decent and there are some mods that sort out some of the issues with DA2

• d34thm0nk3y says:

I preordered on Steam. Played the demo when it came out. Sent an email to Steam asking to cancel my preorder.

• pmouse says:

NEVER AGIAN!

• cragthehack says:

Same.

• Olivaw says:

REMINDER: Dragon Age 2 was made in exactly eight months.

This game has been in development two years.

• Fincher says:

REMINDER: Bioware has -changed-.

• ferdy says:

DAO was in development for more than five, look how well that turned out.

Continuity says:

It was pretty poor IMO, but I’m definitely in the minority in on that so I won’t argue the toss.

• InternetBatman says:

Dragon Age: Awakening had almost as much content, an even shorter development period, and was much better than DAII. DAII was conceptually flawed and no amount of time would have fixed that.

• woodsey says:

No it wasn’t.

Origins came out in Nov. 2009. DA2 came out in March 2011. They start pre-production on these things whilst the previous projects are winding down. Is it a lot of time? No, but it’s not 8 months.

• Werthead says:

It was seven months between DA2’s announcement and it going gold. I don’t believe – and some Googling can’t find any source – it’s ever been declared by any official source how long the game was in development for.

• vivapinat13 says:

Remember that Dragon age 2 was also mainly created by EA and not bioware so yea XD

• SentientNr6 says:

Three years ago this would have been an auto-buy. Oh how the times have changed. DA2, ME3 and origin are to blame and even raving reviews will not suffice to part me from my hard earned money this time.

• fredc says:

I’ll probably buy it unless something goes (even more) horribly in the wrong direction, but I’m another person who was terribly disappointed by DA2. As soon as you start your dude is doing forward rolls in mid-air and smacking things like fucking super mario brothers. Or given the publisher, like they recycled the Madden engine.

As others have pointed out, when you have their resources and 5 Polish dudes with a budget consisting mostly of kielbasa flavoured instant noodles can comprehensively spank you (The Witcher … both of them), you need to rethink your approach.

• Meat Circus says:

I wish I’d never fucked Anders now. Why is it every one of my gay boyfriends always blows up a church?

That’s it. I’m sticking with the psychowitches and nymphobards from now on.

• IDtenT says:

You have straight boyfriends? :P

• MattM says:

A little tape and they never suspect.

• Eddy9000 says:

You’d be amazed how many men define themselves as straight while still enjoying same-sex physical relations (I’ve had a few), but I take your point!

My dwarf, Rimjaw, screwed everyone. Morrigan, Leiana and Zevran, and a 4 way with zev, Lei and some random lady in a pub; he would have had the dog as well if he was able to. He was a blood-crazed sex-crazed great-axe wielding barbarian. Alistair hated him the prissy old virgin.

Lamb Chop says:

To be fair, his name was Rimjaw. He and Bumgardner would get along nicely.

• Schadenfreude says:

That random lady in the pub was in fact Isabella from Dragon Age 2.

So you likely had another go of her then :D

• Bhazor says:

The day I found out Bumgardner was a real name was the greatest day of my life to that point. I was 12.

• Eddy9000 says:

@Schaden,

Oh please give me some credit, like I’d ever play DA2!

• ClockworkTiger says:

Beware Meat Circus’s “Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?” trick.

• cryocore says:

You mean the WORST game ever to be shat out by biowEAr. Pre EA BioWare were almost faultless, since EA though things have gotten very very sad. DA:O was great, ME1 was very cool… and after that EA decided the twitchtards, console jockies and the intellectually challenged needed to be catered to and we got a couple of shooters and the most dissappointing and lazy RPG since Ruins of Myth Drannor.

• DrGonzo says:

It’s very subjective. I found Dragon Age 2 far more engaging than the generic, ‘chosen one saves the world’ plot of the original. It was lazy, ‘let’s change the colour palette of lord of the rings and release it’.

An unconvincing stiff world, with stiff boring characters and pretty tedious combat, that played more like a spreadsheet.

I preferred the second game, at least I wasn’t Luke Skywalker again. Although I didn’t like it enough to actually bother finishing it.

• InternetBatman says:

The idea of a one city rpg was really neat, especially where each of your companions has their own house, but the execution was absolutely terrible. DA:O had good writing outside the plot and DA:II largely lacked it altogether.

• Ruffian says:

IMO, DA:O was a better rpg period. It was big and you could tackle story missions in whatever order, as well as resolve them in different ways. DA:2 not so much.

• Kanamit says:

Completely agree. The concept of DA2 was something I had wanted to see, more or less, in an rpg for a very long time. The execution just wasn’t good.

Anyways, count me as cautiously optimistic about this one. I’m willing to give Bioware the benefit of the doubt, and if this one has more Leliana I’m all for it.

• aliksy says:

Pretty much. Some neat ideas, some good character interaction, lots of flaws and questionable decisions.

I’ve pretty much lost all confidence in Bioware, so I won’t get this unless it gets great reviews and is cheap.

• TariqOne says:

Agreed. I think the criticisms of the waves of enemies and repetitive maps are fair, but DA2 had a much better story, IMO. I felt more engaged with my Hawke than I did with any of my DAO guys.

• Vorphalack says:

(pst, cryocore, that was a not so subtle dig at the DA2 ”awesome button”.)

• Ragnar says:

It’s not all bad. For example, I think ME1 was more interesting with a better story than ME2, but ME2 had the better gameplay by far (with planet scanning as the sole exception).

FhnuZoag says:

‘BiowEAr’? Ow, my eyes.

3. pakoito says:

I can already taste the blandness, paper-thin ruleset and the tackled-on superficial adult themes.

Sword&Conversation is back!!

• Vorphalack says:

Don’t forget the mandatory multi-player mode encroaching upon the single player experience.

• Shezo says:

Yeah, it’s gonna be horde mode, where we will fight with darkspawn, rebelled golems and some faction of rogue humans, trying to use blight/blood magic to enhance humankind and whatnot.

• karthink says:

You win.

More seriously, there was talk of one player playing as a dragon or some such.

• Maxheadroom says:

It’s all speculation.We wont know anything till we’ve seen the first cgi trailer featuring an awkwardly rendered sex scene and generic rawk music

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

Hey, that trailer was among the better ones out of the bunch.

• x1501 says:

If your definition of multiplayer includes campaign co-op, I’d actually welcome it with open arms. Unless you’re playing with someone who doesn’t interest you and whose playing style is completely different from yours, games like this can only get infinitely more interesting when played in [well implemented] co-op, not the other way around.

• Vorphalack says:

I don’t have an issue with co-op, especially if it has proper LAN support, but I doubt EA even consider that an option. They want tied in multi-player a la ME3 to promote micro payments and counter 2nd hand console sales.

• DrGonzo says:

Well considering how good Witcher 2 was. I’d really like that. The first was terrible. And anyone who longs for the actual combat and gameplay from old RPGs is nuts. It’s the plots, and interesting stories that we want. Not the awful mechanics.

• NathanH says:

Look, if what you want is choose-your-own-adventure action games, that’s fine by me, I like them too, but plenty of people actually liked old RPG games for the game mechanics and want to have more games like them. But you have the seeds of a good point: developers shouldn’t try to attract the old RPG gamers and the “I play it for choice’n’consequence, story and atmosphere” crew, because it generally doesn’t make as good a game as concentrating on one thing and just seems to me like a sneaky effort to get as many sales as possible by pretending to be everything to everyone.

• Sheng-ji says:

Agreed – in a roleplaying game, the players skill in combat should not be a factor – it’s the characters skill in combat that is important. So many actiony rpg’s (And I don’t necessarily count the Witcher amongst them) are so skill based, you can pour all your level ups into magic and still own everyone in melee. Fine for an action type game, and I enjoy them immensely but I don’t think they are RPG’s.

• Zepp says:

I liked Witcher 1 more than 2. BTW Sex cards were amazing, much better than puppet sex scenes. The one responsible for scrapping them in sequel should burn in hell.

• Ragnar says:

I too play Western RPGs mostly for the plot, stories, and character interaction. I care more about the “Role Playing” part of an RPG than the dungeon crawl part. Which is why I rather enjoyed Witcher 1, and recommend it to friends, despite being completely bored by the combat.

When I think back to Planescape: Torment or Fallout, I remember the story, the characters, and the choices I made. The best thing about PS:T’s combat were the effects it had on the non-combat game (insulting whores so that Morte could learn new taunts, or upgrading Morte’s teeth). In Fallout 2, I enjoyed being able to talk my way past a fight much more than I would have enjoyed playing through that fight.

• Jahandar says:

I am firmly inside this camp with you, and its the reason why I sunk hundreds of hours into DA:O

• scatterbrainless says:

BG2 had some of the best tactical combat in any game I’ve played though. The integration of buffs/debuffs, healing, and magical protection and dispelling was awesomely integrated into a complex and engaging whole. I’ve heard some people call it a tactical, party-based form of combat as opposed to real RPG, and I wouldn’t argue with that, but still, awesome.

• DK says:

It’s set in Orlais. The Bioware-Country of Pseudo-France in which every nobleman constantly rapes commoner women and it’s applauded by all. Of course it’ll have tacked on “Adult (read puberty ideas of adult) content”. The entire setting it’s based in is an immature unintentional parody of what Mature Themes are supposed to be.

4. Ranger6six says:

Unless they’re completely redoing DA2’s combat, art style and storytelling, I’m not interested in this one.

I never again want to even come near to a game that’s the same boring, multi-wave slogfest that DA2 was. Bioware, you’ve seriously got your work cut out in order to convince a lot of people.

Also, anyone else a bit concerned after reading the frostbite bit and remembering that Bioware said that they were looking into the success of Skyrim?

• Kaira- says:

>storytelling

Well, DA2 had at least some ambition in the storytelling compared to DA:O. About the only thing about DA:Os storytelling to be said is: “it was there”. Bland as white paper.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

DA:O did a traditional thing quite well. Not universally well, but there are some good bits and good characters.

DA2 did a slightly nontraditional thing poorly. Sure it tries, but it fails.

• Kaira- says:

Well, I wouldn’t say they did it “well”, but it wasn’t bad either. I may be a bit biased though, since I generallu prefer non-traditional to traditional, even if it’s executed sloppily (see: DA II).

• DrGonzo says:

I would say they both failed, but at least DA2 wasn’t just copying every other fantasy story ever told.

• RobinOttens says:

Really? To me DA2 felt like it took a lot of beats from Assassin’s Creed 2 (with the story of Hawke’s family) and Yasumi Matsuno’s games (with the story being told from some unspecified point in the future by a subjective narrator, the balance of unresolved big supernatural events and semi-historical inquisition storyline, and the way they executed the whole ’10 years of dude’s life’ thing).

Dunno, it felt like a lot of things I already knew. But they were borrowing from something other then Lord of the Rings and Song of Ice and Fire this time, sure.

I liked DA2, as flawed as it was. I’m tentatively looking forward to this one, and kind of glad this is still an on-going franchise.

• NathanH says:

Am I the only person who is currently finding “dark and gritty and edgy” as the new “traditional” and “generic”? I mean, it’s not like we’ve had a high quality traditionally traditional “beautiful” fantasy RPG since BG2, and that was over a decade ago. Everything has to be dark and gritty and realistic and blah blah these days. Common fantasy is now rather under-represented!

Sure, there is generic fantasy waffle in lots of strategy games and action-RPGs, but allowing them to colour your perceptions of “meaty” traditional fantasy RPGs is weird to me. More tradition, please, I’m missing it!

• lcy says:

Absolutely. ‘Dark and Gritty’ often translates to ‘adolescent’. Thanks, but no thanks.

• Sheng-ji says:

At least now, there is the choice between the two – pre diablo, everything was high fantasy.

But I agree, that when games try to do things a little differently or at least base themselves on original fantasy worlds it is like a breath of fresh air, even if the execution isn’t perfect!

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Yeah, I could go for some old-fashioned Gygaxian adventures.

I’d also prefer my grit (low-powered heroes, plausible situations, minimal magic) without so much dark.

• Bremze says:

Different doesn’t exactly mean good though. Not to say that the writing in DA:O or anything Bioware has done lately could be called good.

• Anders Wrist says:

I agree. I miss the days when RPGs where things I could lose myself in for days on end. I’m not getting my hopes up for the third iteration of this mediocre/poor game.

• ALJA says:

The use of the frostbite engine I think is purely financial. In that they dont have to pay for a license as DICE is owned by EA aswell. Might mean more money for development which would be nice.

• Orija says:

People would be concerned if they gave two shits about it. Bioware has had its three strikes, the way I see it they need to win back their fans all over again.

• pilouuuu says:

Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3 original ending which they sort of fixed… Can you tell what’s the third strike?

• Tritagonist says:

I’m guessing the people who were disappointed by Star Wars The Old Republic might have added that to their list of strikes.

• Brun says:

SWTOR.

• yogibbear says:

SWTOR of course. I didn’t even play it but.

I did play ME3 and it was 50 hrs of fun and then it was a BRILLIANT ending if you believed in the Indoctrination Theory…. although the game should have kept going after I picked DESTROY DAMN YOU! But then they properly ruined it with the extended cut.

And DA2 I gave up with at some point in Act II as the wave combat got tiresome and the story felt forced and I didn’t like my character or any of the other characters (unlike DA:O).

I agree they need to win me back. Not buying until after I try this in a demo or something.

• pilouuuu says:

Oh, yes! SWTOR. I totally forgot about that because it didn’t exist for me.

Well, at least I think Bioware will be extra careful to not screw it again, considering everyone is paying attention to every single mistake they make nowadays.

I think that good endings is a priority for them now. And hopefully no multiplayer crap in my single-player game, thank you very much.

5. FFabian says:

First Dragon Age was awesome. Dragon Age II was horrible – seemed like a quick money-grabbing move to milk the success. They wont getting any eurodollars from me this time. Fool me once …

• Orija says:

DA:O was one of the blandest games I have played, I couldn’t even get myself to finish the damn thing. Repetitive combat punctuated by snarky one-liners that was all there was to it.

• Bhazor says:

But it was a party based tactical rpg. That automatically makes the gameplay better than anything they’ve produced in the last ten years.

As a general rule
        Bad party based tactical rpg > Average third person action game

• BillyIII says:

^ This. More TRPGs please, there are enough action games already.

• noodlecake says:

I’m hoping that you wrote that with at least a degree of irony.

• DrGonzo says:

Thank god I’m not the only one who thought it was rubbish.

• Chmilz says:

Nope, I also thought it sucked. Bought it day 1 since they made it where I live (Edmonton) and I know one of the game designers and a few game testers personally.

My Facebook was a bit awkward after I ranted about how stupid and boring the game was, not to mention the subtle* DLC tie-ins.

*If subtle was a Captain Kirk-style dropkick to the mutherfukin face

• SkittleDiddler says:

You’re not alone, friend, you’re not alone.

• Rymdkejsaren says:

I quite enjoyed DA:O. I think first of all you need to turn the difficulty up so that the game actually becomes interesting tactically. The story is not amazing but certainly entertaining enough to keep going.

• mckertis says:

“turn the difficulty up so that the game actually becomes interesting tactically.”

Cooldowns will never be “interesting tactically”.
          The only good thing i can say about Dragon Age Origins is…dialogues were nicely acted out.

6. shadowy_light says:

I really enjoyed DA, if the original team’s on DA3, and they are truly as repentant about DA2 as they appear to be, then I’ll be happy.

• ninnisinni says:

But… I thought it was the original team that made DA2 as well?! I hope I’m wrong and you guys are right, because otherwise my scepticism regarding this game hasn’t diminished one bit.

7. DClark says:

I don’t want Dragon Age 3, I want Dragon Age: Origins 2.

8. SteamTrout says:

I hope it will have more than 3 locations copy-pasted all over the game like DA2 did…

9. Zanchito says:

Well, I liked Dragon Age 1 and I liked what they wanted to do with Dragon Age 2 (didn’t like the combat all tha much, but whatever). There should be more games building around long term relationships with your environment and comrades, and showing how things change over time. I’m looking forward to Dragon Age 3.

10. jalf says:

Hmm, hope we’ll get some more details soon.

DA:O was pretty bland, so I’m inclined to give this a miss, but would be nice to know more about it before dismissing it entirely.

• abandonhope says:

Indeed. I’m not really willing to slog through more generic Tolkien/D&D nonsense just for a combat system I enjoyed.

• jalf says:

Huh, you enjoyed the combat system?

Different strokes for different people, I guess. To me, it was felt like they’d taken the combat system from NWN2 and made it *worse*.

I thought there were some interesting aspects to the setting and the story, but sadly it completely drowned in the bland Tolkienesque porridge that was generously heaped on to fill in all the gaps.

So overall, blah. But again, some interesting aspects to the setting, so if they do their job right, this *could* actually be a game worth playing, even for those of us who didn’t care for the first game.

• Grygus says:

How can the setting be completely bland porridge and still have interesting aspects? The latter would seem to contradict the former.

• Kaira- says:

Every bland and boring thing can have a bit of good in it. Doesn’t make the whole thing any less boring, though.

• jalf says:

Read what I said, then. :)

It’s like vanilla icecream with little chunks of caramel in it. Mainly a pretty bland uniform mass, with the occasional lump of sugary goodness. (the analogy only stretches so far, of course, because vanilla icecream is not at all bad. It just pales next to every *other* kind of icecream. I’d much rather have vanilla icecream than the blandness of DAO’s non-exciting bits.)

Makes perfect sense, right? :D

11. DanPryce says:

Yes, but will there be a Facebook tie-in?

• codename_bloodfist says:

Multiplayer gay scenes with your Facebook friends? Yes, please!

• Klaus says:

Of course. Hopefully we’ll get real-time tweet update tool as well.

“Just killed the Grand Cleric. LOL” #murder #lol
      “Anders is blowing up a templar orphanage. LOLZ” #omgwtf

• Hoaxfish says:

and a mobile game, both of which will be removed from market as soon as the marketting promotion/hype for the main game is over.

12. CaspianRoach says:

Just give me Dragon Age 3: Merrill and you can have ALL OF MY MONEY

• Bremze says:

Cheering about the inclusion of a mentally handicapped character that had a “romance” arc ending with sex in DA 2 is not exactly good form. It’s also extremely creepy.

• Klaus says:

They’re all mentally handicapped in some way, and Hawke is their therapist/lover/employer. So… it’s ok.

Jackablade says:

You could sleep with the enchantment kid?

• Casimir Effect says:

It’s a well-known fact in Bioware games that you can fuck your friends better. Works every time.

• noodlecake says:

Eh?

• Ghoulie says:

But Merrill as a companion was like rubbing a cheese-grater up and down my spine.

• Klaus says:

Most of them were kinda annoying because they were all so EXTREME in everything they did. Compromise was the game’s and subsequently the characters’ antithesis. Aveline and Varric, the non-romanceable characters, were the only ones I didn’t tire of by the end. And I liked the game.

Lambchops says:

I wonder if the player character will be an inquisitor or an inquisitee?

I’m remaining neutral on this. Dragon Age II might not have been my favourite game ever but it did have its good ideas scattered throughout. Plus is did refrain from the boredom-fest that was the Deep Roads in Origins. Still Origins did more right in terms of characterisation (particularly character customisation) and combat so hopefully they return more to that sort of thing.

14. mbr says:

Why is the subtitle so big and what’s up with the N? Looks pretty stupid.

• abandonhope says:

Because they want you to forget that it’s a Dragon Age game.

• Hoaxfish says:

Because it’s the eNd

particlese says:

Weird…I was so distracted by those poor neutered Ns that I didn’t even notice how huge the subtitle was as a whole. Think they’re compensating?

And so I feel a little more constructive: I liked what little I played of the first Dragon Age, but Skyrim came out before I got sucked in, and I was already entrenched in that universe. If BioWare does well with this third game, though, the first might just move up in my RPG queue.

…man alive, that N looks strange…

15. alice says:

This is reminding me that DA: Origins was one of my favorite games ever but I never went back and played Awakening let alone DA: II. ARGH.

16. westyfield says:

Orlais? Damn, that means more of the atrocious French accents we’ve come to know and hate from the previous games.

• bodydomelight says:

TEEEEEEEE-AAAAAAA-GAAAAAAAAAN!

• Hoaxfish says:

not-French is the language of Love… expect lots of animation which would make Pinocchio look like a real live boy.

• randomkeyhits says:

It could have been worse, it could have been spanish voices. I mean, who would expect a Spanish Inquisition?

17. codename_bloodfist says:

Cool. Will this one have icons above each character displaying whether they are hetero, gay or bi at all times? Bioware’s been catering to their conservative right-wing audience for far too long.

Maybe we’ll even get some glorious femdom in the inquisition’s torture chambers now. I feel that that community has been severely underrepresented in gaming as of late.

18. reggiep says:

I think this is worth following for a number of reasons — perhaps least of which is that I don’t want to be another one of these gamer tools having a knee jerk reaction to a simple announcement. Snap judgments are childish.

AmateurScience says:

It will be interesting to see how this and whatever Obsidian come up with for project eternity compare. Two companies that effectively started in the same place but with different trajectories. Fire up the compare-o-tron!

20. Popcornicus says:

It’s tempting to make excuses for Bioware’s serial failures, but they’re a AAA studio and really should be putting out top-notch games for the level of talent, development time, and money they have access to. If they cared about making the best games possible, they would make better games. DA2 was a bizarre, rushed money grab created on a “do-this-or-you’re-fired” mandate for no apparent reason. Didn’t DA1 make more money than Mass Effect (2)?

If you compare Bioware’s output to Blizzard’s or Valve’s, they really are shameful. And the writing, which is supposed to be their games’ strong suit, is sub-Saturday morning cartoon level, inferior to the writing in every game Obsidian has ever created. As with the crap animations, combat, and writing in Bethesda games, Bioware has no incentive to improve as long as the studio has no AAA competitors in its genre and so continues to make money. I guess it doesn’t matter if your games are stunningly mediocre, so long as you maintain your artistic integrity by refusing to admit mistakes *tear*

Post-kneejerk I have to admit Mass Effect 3’s combat was baller and DA3 may turn out to be awesome, but after riding the hype train into DA2’s shameful darkness, I’d rather overcompensate by hating from this day of the announcement. Guilty until proven innocent.

Phinor says:

Frostbite 2 will be interesting. So far it has been disappointing but EA is betting everything on that engine now so maybe they can vastly improve from BF3 and NFS: The Run. BC2 with Frostbite 1.5 was excellent though so there’s hope.

22. Hug_dealer says:

sorry bioware, after mass effect 2 and 3, and dragon age 2. I have completely sworn off your games.

I tire of playing your saturday morning cartoon plots, with shallow gameplay. No more.

When a developer with 2 games under their belt “CDProjekt” can create deeper and better stories than you, and actually blow peoples minds. you have officially jumped the shark.

Seriously though, how many times will they reuse their stereotypes for companions.

• DrGonzo says:

Weird, I’d say Mass Effect 2 was the best in the series by quite a long way. Dragon Age 2 was better than the original but still a bit shit.

• Hug_dealer says:

ME2 would have been a good game if you didnt spend 75% of it gathering and doing stupid quests for your companions. Very little was actually related to the bigger picture.

• Grygus says:

(Nearly?) all of the gathering and crew quests are optional.

• V. Profane says:

That doesn’t solve the problem of them being the majority of the content. The actual main plot is weak and feels like a cynical set up for a third instalment rather than one in its right.

• skyturnedred says:

The shooting mechanics were very much an improvement, but everything else…not so much.

• D3xter says:

HAHAHAHAHAHAha ha hahahaha haa…

• noodlecake says:

I love your insightful responses to people having different opinions to you.

• johnnyan says:

ME1 was the best in the series, by a long shot if you ignore the visuals and the boobs.

Jackablade says:

Dragon Age’s hip, vaguely Whedon-esque writing style really bugs me. Coupled with the sophomoric way that the relationships are handled, I think I’ll just wait for some of the metric buttload of Kickstarted RPGs to come through.

24. Casimir Effect says:

Can we have some sympathetic mages this time? Or how about at least a couple who don’t turn into demon-consorting blood mages at the drop of a hat? I spent all of Dragon Age 2 giving each one the benefit of the doubt only for all of them to flip out over issues equating to stubbing their damn toe.

• Hug_dealer says:

congrats on finishing the game though. DA2 is pretty much the only RPG i have not finished, most even if i find them rather blah, i can trudge through it for enjoyment.

• Klaus says:

Because the game is about extremism. I feel they thought if they added in compromise then several important things could be easily sidestepped. I think there could have been a way to showcase someone’s morality or willpower without making them seem crazy. But no, murder/genocide/terrorism is the only solution.

• Grygus says:

*Edit* I re-read your comment, and you weren’t saying what I thought you were saying. Never mind, please continue.

• lcy says:

The ending always felt to me like the developers had designed two different bosses, and were then determined to foist them upon us, no matter what the cost. The old ‘trident’ choices once again.

25. Hoaxfish says:

Our chief weapon is DLC, Awesome and DLC; two chief weapons, Awesome, DLC, and ruthless cost-cutting! Er, among our chief weapons are: Awesome, DLC, ruthless cost-cutting, and near fanatical devotion to the EA! Um, I’ll come in again…

• yogibbear says:

“Developers undergoing indoctrination may complain of headaches and buzzing or ringing in their ears. As time passes they have feelings of being watched ‘watched’ and hallucinations of ‘ghostly’ presences. Ultimately the EA gains the ability to use the victim’s body to amplify its signals, manifesting as ‘alien’ voices in the mind.”

Pick DESTROY!

26. povu says:

Since EA wants every game to be Social now, perhaps we’ll be able to have sex with other players.

27. InternetBatman says:

This was an incredibly bland announcement. “Hey, it’s me. I’m a nerd. Here’s my nerd cred. Trust me. We’re making a new game. Here’s its name. I’ve been talking to some people, working through some stuff. Umm. I guess that’s it.” It sounds like a tedious answering machine message left by an ex.

• Lawful Evil says:

What are the chances of this announcement being a bit rushed because of the “Project Eternity”, in a way that they (EA) needed to divert some of the attention the Obsidian has received lately (in the last three days to be more precise)? Would be logical thing to do, from a certain point of view, to announce the game even this way, and not wait any further while Obsidian gives a show.

• InternetBatman says:

I was wondering about that. If so, it’s a churlish thing to do. If they waited till Monday, then it was the right thing to do. Reminds me of West and Zampella holding up an announcement to give the competition time in the spotlight.

28. yogibbear says:

The only cool thing in DA2 was having my fem-shep get freaky with Isabella’s boobies.

There is something wrong with that statement but I’m still smilling. :) [I wish I could have played DA2 with ma Dead Space armour!]

29. Mordsung says:

I didn’t hate DA2 as many did, so I’ll wait with cautious optimism.

30. Nokterian says:

If i have to choose to Obsidians next game on kickstarter Project Eternity and this? Well Obsidian is getting my money. No ea i will not fall in your trap anymore.

31. Demiath says:

Dragon Age 2 means a lot to me; especially as an antidote to the oddly conservative and criminally heartless Witcher 2. Hopefully DA3 doesn’t go too far in the blandly epic direction which DA:O suffered from – the messy humanism of DA2 is a thousand times more interesting to me than spending hours obsessing over the intrinsic nature of confusingly renamed Orcs.

• noodlecake says:

oddly conservative? You mean it felt like it was written by someone very right wing or just that it was incredibly bland, safe and traditional?

32. yogibbear says:

Dragon Age IV – Kickstarter – Unsuccessful.

Dunbine says:

I quite enjoyed DA:O. I also recall a time when it seemed like almost everybody raved about DA:O, but when I read the comments here, I see many more negative than positive comments.

Has the game not aged well/the shine worn off, have the naysayers found their voices, or is it cool now not to like DA because of the poor showing of DA2 and other recent Bioware games?

• yogibbear says:

Re-read the comments or stop smoking the pipe. Everyone here generally LOVED DA:O and HATED DA2 [for good reasons]. There are some people that liked both. Or liked the “concept” of DA2 but still thought the delivery failed (repeated maps, terrible phased combat for no f******* good reason, ridiculous plot). Then there are the minority that loved DA2 and hated DA:O, but that is because they don’t like warm red stuff flowing through them. Am I right?

• ferdy says:

Dunbine says:

But the pipe makes the days pass by so blissfully.

• noodlecake says:

No. I liked both but gave up on origins because it dragged on and felt pretty generic. Probably slightly preferred DA2 but The Witcher 2 is much better than either.

• soco says:

DA3 will be like DA:Origins = Good

DA3 will be exclusively tied to EA’s Origin client = Yuk

• SkittleDiddler says:

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’ve loathed DA:O ever since I spent good money on the game only to be bored to tears by it after a few hours. Overrated game is overrated.

Not everyone has to jump on the Hatewagon.

34. craigdolphin says:

DAO is my favourite game to-date but I was bitterly dissappointed by the cartoonish look and feel of da2, as well as the much more restrictive conversation system and curtailed party customization in the sequel.

I view this announcement as something I find hard to be excited about. Until they start talking specifics, and start showing screenshots/gameplay, there’s nothing on which to form an opinion. But if they continue in the same direction they took with da2, then it’s unlikely I’ll be buying it. Multiplayer would be a big turnoff for me unless it’s local (lan) co-op. and a required origin client install would ensure i didn’t buy a new copy at all (would buy a secondhand copy for console instead) unless they also provide an opt-out of data collection by the client.

One thing is certain though: there’s no way in heck I’ll be pre-ordering this time around, and i won’t be buying a copy for both pc and console as i’ve done with the previous installments.

35. SkittleDiddler says:

As far as I’m concerned, the entire DA series is laughably bad, so I’ll be avoiding a third (fourth?) just out of principle.

36. Shralla says:

Project Eternity exists, so why would anyone give a shit about the other game that was supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur’s Gate?

37. Drinking with Skeletons says:

I actually liked DA2 more than DAO, primarily because I really liked the emphasis on characters, so much so that I forgave the meandering plot and poor mechanical decisions (particularly the waves of enemies).

The one thing from DA2 that I absolutely hope returns is the voiced protagonist. That may sound odd, but I really enjoyed that aspect of DA2. Hawke had as much personality as any of the party members but was still defined by me, which is just…I can’t think of another game like that. I went “smart ass” Hawke, and the extra lines that the game would play based on your overall choices really just made my day, especially in the last DLC.

The writing from DA2 + the mechanics of DAO? Mmmm…

38. Paul B says:

As long as DA:O 3 does away with the painfully limited conversation options of DA: 2 (good, terrible joke, evil) then I’ll be happy.

Please bring back the text options of the original Dragon Age so you can, y’know, have proper nuanced conversations with your party and NPCs.

39. The Magic says:

So… many… sarky…. people….
    I’m not saying you can’t be sarky but i liked DA:O quite a bit, I loved Mass Effect 3 (one was a rough diamond and 2 was a roughly cut diamond.) and it always appeared that bioware/EA realised how fully they screwed up with DA2 since they bundled it with ME2 just to get pc gamers to buy it. maybe they wont make the same mistake twice.
    Maybe.

40. FuzzyPuffin says:

I have no desire to play DA2, so I hope the plot of III is entirely separate.

41. Strangerator says:

Even though I kinda liked DA:O, there were a couple times where I had to force myself to keep playing. The world was just so bland at times, that I’d hit a boredom stall. I had been really sucked into the hype. Needless to say, it did not live up to its promise.

They went with a combat style that I usually like, but it somehow just became boring. I think it has to do with the modern tendency of RPGs to give each character, fighter/mage/rogue the exact same number of active skills and force the player to manage all of them. Leave the MMO tedium to the MMO players please! It works when controlling only one character at a time, but when I’m managing party combat it would be nice if I’m primarily deciding who fights who for most of the characters, in most engagements. Make special abilities powerful but very limited, so that the choice to use them is more meaningful than “well, it cooled down, time to use it again.”

Did not get DA:2, because I played only some of the demo before quitting with disgust.

Anyone else notice how “dark and gritty” fantasy worlds always wind up being really lame? A culture as obsessed with political correctness as ours should NOT attempt to claim something to be “dark and gritty.” It’s like a little kid wearing a scary mask, you just chuckle and say, “well, at least he’s having fun.” It’s sad really. BG2 didn’t claim to be a “dark and gritty” fantasy world, but it was moreso than DAO. Irenicus was a sadistic bastard, who went so far as to give you nightmares where you killed your party members. I don’t know if people have gone softer, in addition to being dumber, but RPGs are really starting to suck.

Here’s to Project Eternity!

42. NailBombed says:

Dragon Age 3: Enchantmentface? ENCHANTMENTFACE!

43. Jimbo says:

Don’t really get the ‘oh noes you posted details from NeoGAF’ thing. Bioware themselves had already made it obvious where it was going to be set by then, and the end of DA2 makes it obvious what the most likely storyline of the next game was going to be.

I’m expecting a good game, but I think it’s a mistake to continue the storyline from DA2. They lost too many players last time and should have started a new story arc so that everybody could get back on board (actually I think it’d just be much better if each DA game had a self-contained story). Instead we’ll have to listen to the ‘New players can definitely start here! Honest! It’s actually the best place to start if you think about it!’ nonsense like we did with ME3.

44. Dys Does Dakka says:

Disenchantment.

45. Cytrom says:

5-10 years ago I would have been super excited about this news, but i don’t expect anything good coming from EA-Bioware anymore.

CD project red took the western rpg crown with the witcher 2 (and their excellent support and fan service). Bethesda makes decent games too.. not the best rpgs but very good games overall and obsidian is hit or miss.. thats about all that is left of the western rpg scene. Bioware is just a bunch of sellouts making primitive action games posing them as rpgs and they only make them to serve as shells for the dlc filling.

(I’m currently replaying KotOR.. yes the original not the stupid mmo, and its just mindblowing to think that the same people who were capable of creating such a smart and delicate game and universe, were capable of making dragon age 2 and selling its dlc with a straight face, not to mention how they made every mass effect sequel stupider and more action oriented than the previous, completely eliminating the weight of choices)

46. Jason Moyer says:

DAO and DA2 are among my least favorite of Bioware’s singleplayer RPG’s, but I still enjoyed them and will eventually pick up 3 + DLC down the line. They were better than pre-expansion NWN but that’s not really saying much.

47. grenadeh says:

Oh goody, now the Shittyshit 2 engine can ruin another game for me. As much as I hate BF3 (and not because I’m a CoD fan, because I’m a severely disappointed hater of shitty games) I will be able to do nothing but notice the clunky shittiness of Frostbite 2 in this game. Not that I ever finish a BioWare game, way too much dialogue.

48. dorquemada says:

Eurogamer today:

But will it right the wrongs of Dragon Age 2[…]

Eurogamer 1,5 years ago:

An enduring classic? Not quite. A satisfying epic? Absolutely. 8/10

Heh. :)

Cannot wait for Bioware to start shitting on their “Greatest RPG of decade” as well, just like they did with DA:O in DA2 hype time. Funny how EAware’s absurd hype generation is more entertaining than their games of most recent years…wait, did I say funny? Whoops, sorry, I really meant “sad”.

49. njolnin says:

Bioware certainly has their work cut out for them. They stumbled majorly with DA2. I enjoyed ME3, but its ending shows that they still don’t quite get it.

The Witcher 2 felt like leagues above anything Bioware has done-it was like comparing a well-produced modern movie with the stilted conventions of an old black and white movie. There are a lot more reasons to be optimistic about Project Eternity than DA3.

Nevertheless, I hope Bioware doesn’t get the wrong message. I appreciated DA2 for at least trying something new. The way forward is definitely not to make another “gather the allies to win the war” type plot. They need a consistent artistic vision, with strong endings planned from the start, and no lazy shortcuts taken.

At least from the outside, there is already some reason to believe that DA3 is aware of what went wrong and what can be improved. I think it would be a mistake for them to focus on aping Origin’s style to every degree. I hear the call for customizing the armor on companions always announced as this major feature, but I think it’s secondary for what makes a good RPG.

50. Slinkyboy says:

No thanks EA, I’m not playing your AAA games for a very long time.