Terror On Tyria: Guild Wars 2 Halloween Event

By Adam Smith on October 22nd, 2012 at 11:00 am.

The Shadow of the Mad King begins to crawl across Guild Wars 2 today, carrying folktales, fear and pumpkins in its umbrage. It’s an event in four acts, with the final one beginning on Halloween and ending the next day. The concept art is beautiful, the story is suitably spooky in a daft sort of way, and now there’s a trailer full of whimsy and bubbling cauldrons. You can watch that below, as well as historical footage of the only undead king to ever haunt my sleep. Veeeengeaaance.

Along with all the Halloween trappings and new content, the update also adds The Ghost of Esports Future, with 5v5 tournaments that have entry fees and rewards.

Back to the Mad King though. Here’s the background story in prose form.

500 years ago, a tyrannical Krytan king was slain by his own people, those who had suffered greatly during his reign of lunacy. It is said that this king’s body was chopped into pieces, and his spirit was banished to the Underworld, but that he can return to the mortal realm for just one day a year: on Halloween.

Of course, that’s just an old folktale. Isn’t it?

Strange energies are rising under the autumn moon. Is there perhaps some truth to the old stories? Do you dare to find out what’s really going on?

Chopped into pieces, eh? I hope when he returns to the mortal realm he’s still in bits. Worst boss fight ever – a party of adventurers stamping on several hunks of what looks very much like corned beef hash lying next to a crown.

Now for some Lysandus.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. phelix says:

Damn it, you just gave me a Daggerfall nostalgia attack.

• RaytraceRat says:

it was such a brilliant game. I understood about a third of what was going on, and it was full of bugs, but I couldn’t stop playing it.

2. pupsikaso says:

Now I feel compelled to play Daggerfall =/

3. MrLebanon says:

I haven’t played Guldwars 2 since release week, nor does this make me interested enough to update it.

I guess MMOs aren’t my thang

4. Doghaus says:

Well, since I feel this post deserves a positive Guild Wars 2 related comment, it’s great to see Arenanet continuing the tradition of great seasonal content updates over from GW1.

The quality of this content suggests good things for the future additional content Arenanet have promised (again, something they have form for in GW1).

Still having a blast with GW2, as are a lot of my friends, the best MMO released for a very long time and I hope it has the longevity it deserves.

• Lev Astov says:

Indeed, I really haven’t enjoyed an MMO this much since the early days of WoW. Or perhaps since I first set foot in Eve.

MMOs still aren’t my thing, but I think I can actually stick this out out for several months, especially if they keep doing seasonal events like this.

5. Dominic White says:

I ended up kinda binging on Guild Wars 2 and completing the main campaign for my character in about two weeks. It was, give or take, about the length of a particularly large singleplayer RPG. I feel accomplished, satisfied, and plan on replaying it sometime and exploring more of the world, trying another class, other plot branches, etc.

But not right now. I’m shelving it until I’ve got a better CPU and the game has a few more updates under its belt. And that’s fine, I think. It’s an MMO that I’ve genuinely enjoyed and plan to return to, and no subscription means that I can.

I might poke my head in for this halloween event, though. It looks fun.

• AngoraFish says:

I’ve just started my third play-through, spent plenty of time exploring so I’m usually about 10 levels behind, and yet to repeat any significant content including maps. I’ll should happily be playing this until the Xmas update, after which I expect it’ll be time to move on..

FriendlyFire says:

I kinda did the same. Years of waiting in ridiculously excited anticipation meant I just devoured the game and got to 80 in not even two weeks. Then I just stopped playing.

I don’t regret a single hour of it and will most likely go back to it, but never as much as during those two opening weeks.