The Fixer – How To Tweak Dark Souls

By Andrew Tsai on November 9th, 2012 at 9:00 pm.

Greetings RPSers. I’m Andrew Tsai, a dedicated PC gamer who has been meticulously cataloguing hacks and fixes for PC games over the last year. You may recognise me as that guy whose baby will only eat during Gangnam Style, or maybe you may of heard of PCGamingWiki, the website about fixing PC games which I administrate.

The aim of this new column is to help provide the very best experience out of any given PC game. Sometimes it’ll be brand new releases, other times it’ll be older games whose communities have come up with the goods over the months or years. Each article will focus on providing quality of life tips and improvements with recommendations on what mods to download, what fixes to apply and what pitfalls to expect. First up is Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition, which is on sale on Steam right now until Monday 6pm GMT at 33% off (£20.09/$26.79).

Dark Souls’ existence on PC is a story of hope and disappointment. Petitioned by over 90,000 fans to bring the game onto PC from consoles, around the time that the Doublefine Kickstarter was gaining momentum, it seemed like a golden age when game developers were finally listening and giving gamers exactly what they wanted. However, fans were disappointed that even after all of the petition’s noise and success, the Dark Souls developers weren’t able to deliver anything more than a functional PC port, where traces of the game’s console origins remain in plain sight. However, the dedicated PC gaming community worked together and fixed the most egregious problems, and even if there’s much that can likely never be fixed, Dark Souls on PC has become a shining example of the PC gaming community can achieve.

Resolution

The most noticeable issue with Dark Souls is that the internal resolution is locked to the low resolution of 1024×720, and changing the resolution value in-game has no effect, other than changing the size of the output window. Thankfully, the DSfix mod from Durante unlocks the resolution to allow values such as 1920×1080, vastly improving the texture sharpness of the game:

1) download DSfix
2) disable in-game anti-aliasing (this causes game to render in a tiny box)
3) place the folder dsfix and the files DSfix.ini, DSfixKeys.ini and DINPUT8.dll< .strong> into the game directory – normally C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition\DATA\
4) adjust the game resolution in DSfix.ini using Notepad (for example, renderWidth 1366 renderHeight 768)

Another feature DSfix can unlock is the framerate cap of 30 FPS. However, this has several unintended side-effects, including broken collision detection and other gameplay problems, including falling through the earth when sliding down a ladder. You can unlock the framerate cap at your own peril by adjusting this value in DSfix.ini:

unlockFPS 1

Other strongly recommended improvements to add to DSfix.ini are:

borderlessFullscreen 1

Borderless fullscreen windowed allows seamless alt+tabbing by rendering the game window to cover the entire fullscreen, a feature that should be standard for all games. Remember to also set the in-game PC option to windowed mode as well to make this option work.

skipIntro 1

Skipping videos automatically saves time when booting up the game.

Controls

Dark Souls was designed to be played with a controller, and it’s with a controller that you’ll get the best experience with the game. The Steam store page states that a controller is “strongly recommended”, and this isn’t an exaggeration.

With the keyboard, the default keys are mapped very unintuitively, for example, the ‘End’ key is used to access the menu rather than ‘Escape’. All tutorials and button prompts use the Xbox 360 prompts, with no keyboard prompts in sight. You’ll need some mental agility to connect the fact that the prompt ‘A’ refers to the keyboard key ‘Q’ or that going back in a menu can only be done by pressing ‘backspace’. If you are determined to stick with the keyboard, it’s recommended to keep this cheat sheet for all the keyboard commands on hand, courtesy of redditor Tru3Magic.

Dark Souls’ mouse control feel very jittery to the point of unplayability and nausea, as it produces very unintuitive results when the camera collides with a wall or the floor. This can be somewhat alleviated by using DSMfix, a fix which maps the right analogue stick of a controller to the mouse. The fix introduces negative mouse acceleration, which causes the camera to turn slower the faster the mouse is swiped, but it still produces a much smoother (but still flawed) experience than with default mouse controls.

1) make sure DSfix is installed first

2) open DSfix.ini and change:

dinput8dllWrapper none

to

dinput8dllWrapper dsmfix.dll

3) download DSMfix and extract files to the same place as DSfix

4) use the dsmfixgui.exe interface to adjust settings such as sensitivity and mouse inversion

Save games

Thankfully, Dark Souls puts save games in an accessible place, and doesn’t encrypt them or tie them to the Games For Windows Live account:

C:\Users\[username]\Documents\NBGI\DarkSouls\

I highly recommended setting up automatic save game syncing to a cloud service such as Dropbox, as Steam Cloud is not supported by this game. This would mean that even if you experienced a catastrophic hard drive failure, your 100+ hour save game would have already been automatically backed up to the safety of the cloud.

The simplest and fastest way to link (symlink) the Dark Souls save game folder to Dropbox is to use the excellent program GameSave Manager, which can detect save games automatically, and then link the save game folder to Dropbox folder in a single click using the ‘Sync and Link’ feature. It’s a fantastic feature and a great program, and it’ll detect and link every single PC game there is.

Digital rights management

Dark Souls is available on Steam and on retail, and retails keys registers optionally on Steam. A Games For Windows Live account is required to play the game. After initially registering online, the game can be booted up without an internet connection, where the GFWL offline mode will be activated.

If you experience any network issues when connecting to the game’s multiplayer mode, make sure that your network settings are working properly with GFWL by checking on your router that these ports are forwarded to the correct computer:

* TCP port 80
* UDP and TCP port 3074
* UDP port 88
* UDP and TCP port 53
* TCP port 443

For an up to date article on Dark Souls check out PCGamingWiki.com, the website which aims to list fixes for every single PC game in a single, user-editable resource.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Johtobot says:

Are the keyboard and mouse controls really that bad to begin with? Should I invest in a controller before picking this up?

• derbefrier says:

I would recommend a controller but people have said with a little tweaking and getting used to it a M&KB works just fine but in all seriousness invest in a controller anyway most games(especially console ports) are designed around them and can greatly improve your experience. Just go pick up any old generic Xbox controller they all work fine from my experience and are pretty cheap.

darkChozo says:

Yes, emphatically yes. At the very least, you’re probably going to have to rebind everything. They’re reallly bad.

I’m not even sure if you could really play Dark Souls with a keyboard, just because of how the two weapon system works. All four trigger buttons are used extensively in combat, which means you can’t have a simple left/right mouse button-type setup. It’s designed to be used with a controller, very much so.

• Urthman says:

It’s interesting that a lot of times the people who claim a controller is essential for a particular game also talk like rebinding your controls is some sort of extraordinary tweaking.

I would never expect the default keyboard layout for a game like this to work well without rebinding things so the actions make intuitive sense and you can for sure do everything without, say, needing your pinky to cover four different important keys. You never see a default layout taking advantage of a 5-button mouse.

• Kbcamaster says:

I actually use only the keyboard for playing Dark Souls. I mapped everything nearby my left hand, the camera controls are on the arrow keys, menu controls are on the number keys and the end, delete buttons. It’s been smooth sailing, with almost no difficulties at all. I think I could play this one handed.

• Shaitan00 says:

I can see you are not a PC gamer. 4 keys are EZe mode for a MMo player who needs to use 15 keys or more constantly in combat. Whats that you hit shift-f a split second too late? Dead teammate. Its the main reason no one has ever ported a MMo to the console, they would have to cut most of the game out.

• John Mirra says:

Not really. I completed the game with kb+m and can say that necessity of gamepad is quite exaggerated.
      Also there is a decent mod which replaces gamepad button icons to pc related.

SpakAttack says:

Precise control of movement speed & direction is the main reason I would recommend a gamepad. Using keyboard for movement may result in falling off a lot of ledges!

• stupid_mcgee says:

That was my problem. Plugged in my old Logitech controller and installed x360CE and it’s been a much more enjoyable experience.

• Eukatheude says:

I completed the game with m+kb. Took some time getting used to, but it works, and with the latest DSfix versions you can solve irks such as the mouse cursor showing up. Also disabling vsync tremendously helps performance.

EDIT: Just disable Steam community or you’ll end up opening the overlay just about everytime you parry.

• Namey says:

You can also change the Steam overlay settings from Steam itself, to have it open from a different set key presses.

• Eukatheude says:

True, though personally i wouldn’t want to change it since i’m so used to it.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Consider it, though. I changed from Shift+Tab to Numpad0 and it’s been smooth sailing (never conflicts with controls from other games) and, for me, much more intuitive.

• angrym0b says:

I used a PS3 controller with the Motioninjoy drivers. I am normally a kb/mouse evangelist but, personally, I can’t play Dark Souls without a controller. That being said, I have played it a lot of the PS3.

• Synesthesia says:

Completely, absolutely, unplayable. I wouldn’t dream of running through blighttown with m&k in this game. It just does not work. Besides, a controller is a good part of any gaming rig, and you’ll get to use it for much more than only this. I highly recommend you get one!
      I hope i don’t get lynched for this, but xcom worked wonderfully with it, and i can’t wait to make a replay while lying on the couch, in the big tv.

• wearedevo says:

Completely, absolutely wrong. I actually switched from gamepad to mouse and keys once I got up to Blighttown and never looked back. Much more precise controls, if less intuitive. For PVP especially there’s no way I’d go back to the 360 controller.

• Coriolis says:

If you use the two “fixes” that this article talks about, it’s entirely playable with keyboard and mouse. Takes a little bit more getting used to then most ported games, but not that much more. I’ve already beaten it once with kb+m, and now going for a second run.

The supposed “unplayability” of this game with kb+m is highly exaggerated.

• Eukatheude says:

It is, though i suspect playing with a controller makes the whole experience a lot less frustrating. I’m in for a second run with a ps2 controller and 60 FPS tweak, so we’ll see.

• wearedevo says:

Agreed. KB+M is superior to gamepad on Dark Souls, once you set up and adjust.

PoulWrist says:

Gamepad is a must… it’s just better. Although after I played this and went to play Darksiders 2, I kept messing up because the Dark Souls controls are so incredibly different.

• wearedevo says:

I started with a gamepad but ended up switching to kb+m because it was actually superior. You do need to use the mod and spend some time tweaking your setup (I user a razer naga mouse), but if you’re willing to spend the time it’s much better than the gamepad. If you just want something that works out of the box though, go the pad for sure.

• eclipse mattaru says:

I played the early bits (up to the Taurus Demon) with a generic gamepad and the Xbox emulator, and you can totally tell the controls are designed to be played like that. A LOT of thought went into the button mapping and whatnot.

That said, I’m a PC player through and through, and a cranky old one at that, and I’m not too keen on learning new control methods at this age. So, eventually I installed the DSMFix, I’ve been using mouse and keyboard for the better part of my 50+ hour playthrough, and frankly I’m not planning on going back to a gamepad any time soon. It takes quite a bit of getting used to, mind, and plenty of trial and error, since there are many very important buttons you need to map to keys you’re *really* comfortable with for quick access (I’m guessing a mouse with 4 buttons would help a lot here); but really, once you manage to come up with a layout of your liking, it’s perfectly playable.

I’m currently at Anor Londo, having beaten every major boss up until this point, including all the optional ones, I’ve become quite the backstabbing/parry/riposte master, and I’m kicking asses and taking names like nobody’s business with my trusty KB+M.

And dying like a bitch every now and then, of course.

• Gorf says:

You should invest in a 360 pad even if you dont have Dark Souls!
      I reckon I use my pad about 60% of the time on PC games and I would’nt be surprised if this was a common thing. But YES definately use a pad for DS.
      Its time to step out of the dark ages for a lot of you ppl.

• stupid_mcgee says:

I would recommend a controller. It made a huge difference for me.

Also, don’t feel like you have to get an XBox 360 controller. I’m using an old Logitech Dual-Action controller and the 360 controller emulator X360CE.

2. Linfosoma says:

Great guide.

Te me, Dark Souls has been the best game of the year (I found Dishonored to be extremely easy even on Very Hard). It took me 70 hours to beat it (counting the DLC area), I still probably have a few areas to explore.

Some of the level, armor and creature designs are just amazing, their design department deserves a raise.

My only complain is that it feels to easy to play on the New Game+ since I get to carry over my previous gear, Im thinking I might start it all over again sometime soon.

I really, really hope Namco continues to bring these titles to the PC, as far as I know this game sold relatively well, well enough to justify the port at least.

• db1331 says:

I think you’ll find that the reason it’s so easy on NG+ isn’t because of your gear, but because of how much your skill level has improved since you last played through the game. Yes, your overpowered sword might kill a boss in 4 hits, but he will still kill you just as quickly as he did last time around if you allow him to land his hits. I think you’ll see what I mean when you start a completely new game. It will still feel easy then.

• Coriolis says:

What DB said. I died dozens of times to capra demon the first time around playing a sorceror. Second time around with a melee character? Beat him on my 2nd try.

• Ruffian says:

Having started a few different characters (i tried it out on consoles before I bought) I can definitely attest to this. It really is a knowledge thing – you already know all the enemies attack patterns, traps, etc..

• MattM says:

I played DS on the PS3 and NG+ was a bit easier due to my knowledge, but the final boss was much harder the second time. He just hit so hard and quick. If you go to NG++ there isn’t really many ways left to improve your stats. Your armor is probably already maxed out and stat scaling tapers off. The way the armor system works (flat damage reduction per hit) means that it is proportionally much less effective against the high damage attacks. I suppose I cant be too mad that the game isn’t as well balanced in NG+ modes, but heavy armor and the corresponding slower movement becomes non-viable. Evasion is so important and the damage reduction of heavy armor so minimal that you really must keep yourself at the max mobility level.
        Or so I think, there might be armor proponents out there, but I don’t think it works.

• Nate says:

The skills gained definitely do make a big difference– but after playing to NG++ (for all the achievements), and starting from scratch all over again, character and equipment upgrades also make a huge difference. The second time on the capra demon was much easier than the first playthrough, but not the cakewalk that it was on NG+, because that’s still a hard situation when you only have 10 endurance and a +1 heater shield– just enough to roll, roll, strike, and not enough to block a hit from a dog and the demon at the same time.

NG+ doesn’t start getting difficult until Smough and Ornstein, which serves as a sort of gate– by the time you beat those two, you really have all of the equipment and stats that you need to beat the game, even if some aspects of your skill are still developing. It’s surprising that one of the toughest fights happens in the middle of the game, but it works.

This depends on how you play, of course. On a recent playthrough, I did melee only, without ever upgrading my vitality, and NG+ got a lot harder really fast. When gargoyles can one-shot you, the bell tower fight becomes rather challenging.

PoulWrist says:

There’s a lot more to tweaking it with DSfix, than the article covers. The Dark Souls Nexus site also has several mods for it that update textures,

3. Teovald says:

Thanks for this guide, I will have to try these fixes.
    I have bought DS when it has been released on pc and so far I am left with the impression I have been scammed. At the time there was no mention on the steam page that a controler is “highly recommended” and the game is in fact nearly unplayable with a keyboard.
    I love hard games and it does not bother me to die dozens of times before completing a super meat boy level, but with dark souls I died dozens of time during the first hour because the controls are disastrous.
    I did not play for a second hour.

• eclipse mattaru says:

Keep in mind that even with a gamepad (or the mouse fix, which I love) the difficulty curve in this game is *steep*, especially during the early hours. The controls are very strange and unlike anything we’ve seen before, and you need to *master* every trick about them in order to simply not die like a bitch at every step –let alone making some serious progress. Plunging attacks, leaping forward, parry/riposte, backstabbing, rolling; every move your character can make is important.

During my first couple hours I died in the early section of the Undead Burg more times than I could count, and to rather lowly enemies too, didn’t even get to the first boss. I got to a point when I considered very seriously that the game just wasn’t for me, I was clearly sucking at it so badly. But there is a magical moment when the systems suddenly click in your head. One moment you’re getting your fingers entangled in an embarrassing mess of failure trying to even land a hit and dying like a bitch for the hundredth time, the next you’re parrying and riposting like a boss. Just like that. You don’t even understand how and when you got so good at it, but it happens, and it’s the goddamnest thing.

From that moment on, the game is still tough as a coffin nail, and believe you me, it will pull the rug from under your feet and sucker punch you at every step; but the sense of accomplishment of mastering the controls gives you a great feeling of self-security that makes you feel that no matter how impossible a given situation looks, there is surely a way through.

It will probably ruin every other game out there for you, too.

• Teovald says:

I hear you. Posing real challenges to the players is missing from many recent games. In the worst offenders, like Assassin’s Creed, it really kills a lot of the interest. There is no sense of achievement if the game is holding your hand all the time.
        This is why finally beating one of the last levels of Super Meat Boy feels incredible. It is genuinely hard and it is a real achievement to finally get the moves right. Surviving terrible odds in XCOM is also incredible.

But playing Dark Souls on pc with a keyboard + mouse, the fact that I keep dying because :
        1- the controls are really bad
        2- the instructions are absolutely useless. The developers did not even bother to map the tutorials to the default keyboard buttons (I am not even talking about mapping them to your config).

It is one of the worst gaming moments ever. I trust all of the people that are saying that the game gets awesome after that. But at the moment, I already have a backlog full of great games where the developers put way more work in making their game playable than DS devs.

Other very difficult games work because each time I die, it is because I am not skilled enough. Each time I died in DS it is because the devs did a terrible job.

• Nate says:

Thanks, that’s a very good statement about why this game is so good. You’re right, during the first playthrough, situations can seem impossible– but when it clicks, it really CLICKS, and from then on, you can die 100 times to a boss and somehow always think, “Ok, yeah, but next time, I’ll win.” And eventually, you’re right.

• secuda says:

yea well thats why i did not bother to buy this game. again i thought they where going to use some of the money from the console game and use it to port the game or atleast take note on what not to do with port.

4. MonolithicTentacledAbomination says:

Can anyone confirm that the bugs related to 60FPS are reproducable every time, or is it intermittent? In other words, can I play at 60FPS with fingers crossed, or am I totally screwed anytime I need to go down a ladder or what have you?

• pakoito says:

This article is a bit incomplete and outdated, latest DSFix has an instant lock/unlock keybind to solve those problems.

• db1331 says:

It says it can happen when you SLIDE down a ladder, so I’m assuming you can just get around it by climbing down normally instead of holding the button to slide, or at least by just sliding until you get near the end and then slowing down the rest of the way.

• eclipse mattaru says:

I played for about 50 hours with the 60 FPS thing, and the only time I went through the floor was in a very short ladder in the Undead Burg, and I landed safely inside a house underneath, anyway.

Plus, as stated above, there is now a key to toggle the limit on and off, in case you want to feel extra safe.

SquidgyB says:

In my experience – there are three or four ladders in the entire game where you will go through the floor and fall forever if you slide down them. The long ladder in Undead Parish with three or four rats at the bottom directly below the Black Knight on top of a tall tower is one I remember never to slide down (I’ve never died from the fall though – quitting and restarting places me on top of the ladder, so all is not lost when it happens).

I don’t know what else the 60fps fix affects though, I’ve been playing solely with the fix enabled, I’m considering playing for a while without it now to see what kind of difference it makes.

This game though – I haven’t had a game grab me like this since I first found Dwarf Fortress…

e: I tried playing at 30fps. Yeah… I won’t be doing that again.

• Wedge says:

It’s not a random bug, it’s an issue with how the animations scale with the 60fps hack, which causes some collision issues the game wasn’t designed to handle. Aside from the falling through floors, it causes your jump range to be slightly shorter and some terrain becomes more difficult to walk up properly.

But again, there is a toggle switch to temporarily cap to 30fps in the few places where this is an issue.

SquidgyB says:

“it causes your jump range to be slightly shorter and some terrain becomes more difficult to walk up properly”

That might explain the frustration I’ve had trying to get to Snuggly’s nest, maybe. I make the jump eventually, but every time I want to return to the Asylum, it’s 4-5 trips around Firelink until I can make that jump.

• Wedge says:

Yes, jumping to the ledge to get to the crow is one of those jumps that is really noticeably harder at 60fps. IIRC you can even roll to the ledge without doing a jump at 30 fps.

jrodman says:

port.
    80?

What
    the
    hell?

PORT
    80?

GFWL expects to be able to open a connection to port 80. And it expects that connection to reach.. the gfwl software running on your computer.

ARE THEY INSANE?

• phelix says:

Always-on DRM for diehards.

jrodman says:

Always-on or not, perhaps they have heard of this little known protocol called the world wide web? HTTP? The thing that port 80 is used for?

Even if it were not super likely that this port is already in use by another program, or another program on another computer (in a port forwarding environment). It’s fairly likely that your dick-ISP says “no port 80 for you, that’s for commercial accounts only”.

• HothMonster says:

“Even if it were not super likely that this port is already in use by another program”

…if your running a webserver I guess.

jrodman says:

If your[sic] running any other software that presumptuously assumes it should act as a webserver.

By example, this is very common.

PoulWrist says:

You obviously just don’t know what you’re talking about :p

• banelos says:

These are just the general ports that GFWL might use. I haven’t actually seen it use port 80.

TIP: Enable UPnP on your router and you don’t have to forward anything manually.

jrodman says:

Enable UPnP on your router and permanently cede control over your network ingress to any software you happen to be running! What could go wrong?

Yeah, I always check that UPnP is completely disabled.

• Putzo says:

The only port GFWL uses is 3074/UDP. Period. Forget what people that can’t even use Wireshark has to say about ports.

6. derbefrier says:

One of the greatest games this generation. I put over 200 hours in it and could easily put in 100 more if I wanted. If you have a controller all you really need is the resolution fix. If you don’t just save yourself some frustration and go buy one you may even find you prefer it to a lot of games. Contrary to popular belief the M&KB is not the best for every situation and as a gamer its always nice to have options if you can get past this stigma that “controllers are only for consoles” that has cropped up in the last few years.

7. pakoito says:

I would recommend using the Nexus Mod Manager along with DSFix.

• gschmidl says:

I already use NMM for a different game (Skyrim) — does it support multiple games yet?

• Anders Wrist says:

Afaik. You choose the game it should work with when you launch it (if not, you probably disabled it, or are running an older version).

• Delusibeta says:

Whole bunch of games: all of the modern Bethesda RPGs, Legend of Grimrock, Dark Souls and World of Tanks.

• gschmidl says:

Sorry, should’ve been clearer: multiple games at the same time. I guess the first reply answered that, though; thanks to both of you!

8. SkittleDiddler says:

I’m not sure that seeing all the work that needs to be done just to get a console-ported PC game to run properly is making me eager to try Dark Souls, but it’s nice to see these kinds of guides. Props to the author.

AmateurScience says:

Oh it runs fine without tweaking, it just looks and plays identically to the console versions, which is a shame.

The DSFix is a real improvement and barely any hassle to set up – and the improvement, particularly in the clarity of the PC, NPC and enemy textures is enormous: really shows off the talents of the game’s artists.

PoulWrist says:

Takes about 10 minutes, if you want to make the most out of it. Takes 1 if you don’t. So, not really any amount of work. I mean, you could say the same thing for Skyrim.

• SkittleDiddler says:

I did actually say something similar about Skyrim. I still don’t plan on buying that one either.

• Sugoi says:

Why so angry? DS is a great game, and worth the minor amount of tweaking necessary to get it to behave properly on PC.

Hell, running freakin’ Deus Ex nicely on a modern system requires about the same level of effort, and you’re not going to tell me that isn’t worth it.

• SkittleDiddler says:

I’m not angry, I just expect a certain amount of technical competency from developers when I buy modern video games. I don’t have the patience anymore to spend time manually modifying files.

Games like Deus Ex don’t bother me. It’s an older title that justifiably requires a bit of tweaking to get to run properly.

• Wedge says:

This guy is a troll, don’t bother.

• SkittleDiddler says:

@ Wedge: Are you referring to me or Sugoi?

9. secretdoorinvisiblewall says:

I already played Dark Souls to death on PS3, but just wanted to jump in here to say that I think this is a great idea for a regular column and hope to see more like this in the future.

10. povu says:

‘Urrr guys I’ve got this keysboard thing here. Which button would PC gamers use to end the game?’

‘Maybe that key over there, it’s called end!’

‘Good idea!’

• Kanti says:

Because “Escaping” from the game is so much more intuitive, right?

Actually, they put a lot of thought into the keyboard controls, it only appears unintuitive when you’re starting out, or if you’re just trying to mock the game without thinking about it. The key is, opening the menu (what the ‘End’ key does) doesn’t pause the game, the game is still going on in the background. If you’re in the middle of a fight, you might want to open up the menu quickly to change weapons, but if you had to take you hand off WASD in order to do so, you would stop moving and probably get smashed. So the put all the movement and dodging controls on the left hand, and all the menu controls on the right hand, exactly for that reason. Taking your hand off WASD, or reaching across the keyboard with your left, would be worse in every conceivable situation, except that it’s different from the convention that most other games use. How dare those developers expect you to read the manual, or look at the options menu, before playing their game!

• thebigJ_A says:

Aw, you ruined his knee-jerk, ignorant snark with your big smart words. Meanie.

Durkonkell says:

Oh, come on! Escape is more intuitive not because ‘escaping’ from a game makes more sense but because more or less every other game uses escape to display the menu. Applying sarcasm to the choice of ‘end’ for the menu key is legitimate, I think. Perhaps their choice is logical from a gameplay perspective, but if I want to exit the game I don’t really want to be searching for my manual to work out how.

• Kanti says:

Are you genuinely suggesting that the game developers should make the default controls for their game worse for people who are actually playing their game, by making them harder to use in gameplay, in order to serve the interests of people who can’t even be bothered to read either the manual or the options menu?

It may not be the conventional choice, but if you don’t like it, it’s trivial to rebind it to something else, even Esc if you like. So why is this really even an issue?

11. db1331 says:

Andrew, how do we know your baby won’t eat unless ANY video is playing, and not just PSY? Like what if you played “Friday” by Rebecca Black? Would he eat then, or would he just throw up or shit himself? Coincidentally, that’s what I do when I watch “Friday.”

12. Bhazor says:

That glitch video confused me for the longest time. Then I remembered what the music was from.

• db1331 says:

Have you played DKC Returns on Wii yet? Besides the maddening fact that you can’t do a rolling attack without shaking the remote, when the giant B button on the back is entirely unused, it’s a great game. They did an awesome job in capturing the charm and rock-solid platforming of the original.

• Bhazor says:

It’s pretty hype*. I really can’t think of another example where a totally new developer steps in, takes the series in a new direction and then completely nails it quite like Retro has. Twice.
        Along with Rayman origins it gives me hope that we’re finally getting back to good old 2D platformers but with all the fancies we have now.

*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b2gQno0_Gc&feature=related

13. Shadram says:

‘on sale on Steam right now until Monday 6pm GMT at 33% off (£20.09/$26.79).’

Haha, no it isn’t…

EDIT: referring to price, not ‘33% off’

SpakAttack says:

pedant

• Shadram says:

I merely point out the injustice of pricing in NZ/Aus, I’m not demanding that RPS give individual pricing for every country in the world. I guess I’m just annoyed that I still haven’t played Dark Souls, and won’t for as long as Namco insist on being so fucking awful.

• HothMonster says:

Holy fuck your minimum wage is 15.96 an hr?!

• SkittleDiddler says:

Makes his complaint about game pricing seem kind of petty, doesn’t it? They earn twice as much as minimum wagers in the US.

• Eukatheude says:

Hint: Aus dollars are not the same as US dollars.

• HothMonster says:

No, they are worth just a little bit more.

But I really have no idea of the relative cost of things down under. Is everything more expensive, just imports, or just video games?

jrodman says:

Many cost of living items (food, booze) are more expensive as compared to the US. Some are not (health care).

Video game rates are a bit crazy though. Over double in some cases.

• Shadram says:

Our minimum wage in NZ is $13.50 per hour, or $11 US. Everything here is more expensive than in the US and UK, since everything is imported. And even stuff that isn’t: New Zealand lamb is cheaper in the UK than it is in NZ.

It’s just really fucking irritating that we have to pay in US dollars, and still have to pay over the odds. The new COD (not that I’d touch it with a 10 foot pole) is $100 US on steam. How are our US dollars worth so much less than the US’ US dollars?

• Snakejuice says:

I live in Sweden and our minimum wage is about same as for the Aussies yet we don’t have to pay the expensive prices on Steam that they do. Still not as cheap as in United States of Poor People as we have to pay euros but yeah it’s unfair for the Ausses.

14. caulder says:

Paying money for a shoddy port? No thanks. From Software and Namco-Bandai don’t deserve a dime. Games should be judged on how good they are, not how good they could be, mods or not. The fact that a random guy on Neogaf did in half an hour what From couldn’t in six months is absurd.

• Snargelfargen says:

That’s nice, but not terribly relevant for anybody reading an article about tweaking the game’s graphics settings.

• caulder says:

It mentioned the Steam sale, so it actually is relevant. Sorry someone doesn’t enjoy the game like you do.

• UncleLou says:

You don’t enjoy it? Have you bought it, then? How far did you play, and did you use the mods? Or are you just pushing an agenda here?

And what do you mean how good it “could” be? The mods are a reality.

darkChozo says:

To be fair, it’s a port that exists only because people specifically asked for it, made by a developer that was very open about the fact that they don’t know how to make PC games. And the fix didn’t take half an hour to make, it took half an hour (or whatever) to configure for the actual release version and test. The guy had made the fix before the game came out (how, I dunno, out of my area of expertise).

Doesn’t make it a good or acceptable port by any stretch of the imagination, but does make it excusable for some.

AmateurScience says:

As I mentioned above, the game unmodded is exactly the same as it was on consoles, it works fine, and remains a game that was almost universally hailed as one of the best released on any format in years – something which I’m inclined to agree with. DSFix is nice, great even, but doesn’t change the way the game plays in any meaningful way.

• yourgrandma says:

Exactly the game plays perfectly fine even without dsfix. dsfix only gives it better clarity and resolution.

15. lebbers says:

Regarding the mouse fix, the phenomenon you describe as “mouse acceleration” already exists in the base game (a common occurrence with many barebones console ports).

From the FAQ:

What you’re observing isn’t actually “mouse acceleration” — the transform function is strictly linear. Rather, this is the result of mapping one input abstraction onto a fundamentally different input abstraction. With a mouse, the angle of the turn is a function of the distance the mouse is moved. With an analog stick, the angle of the turn is a function of both time and stick displacement (with a relatively small maximum displacement value) . The problem when mapping a mouse to an analog stick should be be immediately apparent, then: when the mouse is moved very quickly, the maximum displacement value is immediately achieved but the duration of the input is much shorter, resulting, counterintuitively, in a shallower turn angle.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

My problem isnt the speed – its the way it seems to “grate”. The separation between each segment of the turn seems enormous, so turning the mouse is not smooth. It looks like it skips 5 frames as you move the mouse. Thats why I got a controller and made myself learn to use it (bad idea learning controller use on THIS of all games)

16. moocow says:

How To Tweak Dark Souls So It Actually Launches: There seem to be a number of different problems that cause the game to crash on startup such as GFWL problems, which seem to be fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling everything repeatedly until quantum mechanics cures it, but the fix that worked for my “Not Responding” crash on launch was to just not interact with the Dark Souls window at all when it loads.

After a few minutes the game launches into full screen and the publisher splash screens and everything is fine.Doing anything with the black screen window before that resulted in a crash, even after the GFWL login popdown appears.

17. Snargelfargen says:

This is a good idea, it’s nice to be able to track down all the fixes for a game in one spot. Options for
    increasing FOV and removing intro videos should be in every game.

18. bakaohki says:

Don’t get me wrong, I buy pc games, I love indie games, I have tons of steam stuff, but this is not “gaming experience”; it’s suckage. Like tweaking the ps2 (or mame or finalburn or kawaks or kiame or bsnes or pcsx or whatever) emulator for days (different settings for different games)… For this latter case: I eventually took my lazy ass, opened my wallet and bought a used ps2 for the cost of one new AAA game title.

• bigjig says:

@bakaohki

Wat? These are optional tweaks, not things you need to do to get the game running.

Even without these you’re still getting the same experience you would on a PS3 (provided you’re playing with a game controller). This is just for those who want to enhance their experience to get it running in 1080p/60 FPS. (Which isn’t even an option on PS3)

• UncleLou says:

“Wow, the article above is a great recipe for “suck”. I played this game through, I really really loved it and mostly it was like: 1. pop the disc into the large black consoley thing 2. play.”

I would have been damn glad if there had been a “great recipe for suck” when I played the PS3 Version, it might have fixed the abysmal framerate.

19. pupsikaso says:

Ah man, this post ALMOST got me to buy Dark Souls (even though I have it on PS3).
    I got saved at the last second when I noticed GFWL.
    That’s a deal-breaker for me.

• yourgrandma says:

you could play without GFWL with a crack patch but you would lose the ability to connect online. Im still on a offline play through be cause i don’t care to be invaded… the game is hard enough.

GFWL helped somewhat this time as it kept people from modifying their saves and cheating… but people found ways around that.

• alseT says:

You’re really cheating yourself out of some great experiences by playing offline. The unpredictability of other people adds so much to the game and its atmosphere.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Heh I am with yourgrandma – I suck at this game and don’t want uber skilled Darkanauts jetting into my game to steal what little humanity I ever have at any one time :)

Also I am an antisocial misanthrope who plays video games to avoid humans.

• Bauul says:

You mean you’re attempting the bosses without any co-op help? Jesus! That makes the game ten times harder!

You know you can play online (so get all the fun of the passive online element) without ever being invaded: just don’t turn yourself human.

• yourgrandma says:

I plan on playing through it online again once i finish it in offline mode.

20. SuperNashwanPower says:

I want to be able to cheat at this game.

Seriously. I dont play online, so no one will get griefed. I have never played many 3rd person games, never used a controller and am learning how on this game, couldnt get used to to jerky gratingness of using M&K. Hence this game has been pant-rippingly difficult. Like, “I am 100 hours in and only recently rang the 2nd bell” hard.

I have genuinely got to the point where I am considering putting this game away for good, as for me it is just too difficult. I don’t experience the much vaunted elation after beating a boss. After 60 attempts, I feel mildly depressed, especially when my reward is a damn dung pie and enough souls for 1/3 of a level. Which I then die and lose. Most play throughs are exercises in total frustration, and very rarely rewarding. I am MAKING myself play it a) because I paid £30 for it b) because I don’t want to feel beaten c) because the whole internet keeps wanking its cock over how amazing it is and I am waiting for it to magically make me feel rewarded. “Enjoying” is not a word I would associate with my experience with this game. More ‘compulsive’ and “I am not going to let you win you little fucker, you with your lamp-post axe that clips through the scenery and kills me”.

So TBH, I want a ‘cheat’ button. Something to award me 1,000,000 souls, turn down the amount of damage I take, give me a bunch of arrows or a kick-ass weapon. Normally cheating ruins a game for me, but with DS the game itself is ruining the game for me. I freely admit I am just not good enough at it to fully enjoy it and progress at a rate that is not insanely frustrating, but like the Dara O’Brien sketch, I am angry at it for not allowing me to view its content without passing its hat-stand mental level of skill demand.

Painted world of ariamis. I want a “Let me the fuck out of that place now” button.

• Kaira- says:

You could use trainers, you know.

TELL ME WHERE TO GET THEM
        I WILL GIVE YOU LIMBS. THE ONES I OWN.

• Kaira- says:

I’d wager Google could inform you about them, I sadly don’t have DaS for PC.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Oops reply came out in wrong place. See below, joke about rolexes ;p

• gschmidl says:

CheatEngine works perfectly, but you need to stay offline.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Thank you. I will check it out. TBH I am wavering on whether to use them or not. If It takes me a week to get out of Painted World, then I might go looking for that one :)

• Nate says:

You can get through Painted World pretty fast if you want. I’m assuming you don’t mind a guide, since you want cheats, but if not, scroll down now. Get to the Undead Dragon, kill it with arrows or bolts (risk-free that way), do a jump attack on it’s corpse, and you can drop down to the ledge underneath. Go through the fog gate, talk to the boss, and exit. Thankfully, you don’t have to kill the main boss to exit, but be careful– once you decide to attack the boss, you’re stuck until you kill it.

I can totally understand where you’re coming from, btw. I was in the same position as you, and it took me a long time to finish. Slowly but surely, it was like the action in the game slowed down, and suddenly I could see tells from bosses that I couldn’t see before. That said, the Anor Londo bosses are the hardest in the game, in my opinion, and you might find yourself unimaginably frustrated.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

I persisted with painted world, after a bit I felt fine with all the enemies. I just panicked :) Its actually a great soul farming spot as I seem to end up with a good collection of them. I went back to Sens Fortress and promptly lost a load of them exiting the cage elevator in front of the serpent guard. Ran into a swing-o-deathinator, then fell, then got zapped by the cobra things for my last bit of health. Bastards.

I am building up a collection of poison arrows, and one of the wiki’s has a list of stuff you ‘need’ to take with you to Anor Londo in order to make S&O slightly easier. So basically its back to grinding for a while. I’ve got as far as the Anor Londo MASSIVE ARROW archers, then turned back for supplies.

I know what you mean about seeing the tells – the mini taurus demons in lavaland taught me a lot of lessons about that, and yeah, suddenly I could see the tells. Its like seeing the matrix … blonde, brunette, massive club sailing towards head…

Still not using a cheat :) Quite proud of self.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

I just googled. They all look dodgier than a £20 rolex. But thank you, kind helping elf of internet land with the great avatar.

Faldrath says:

Yeah, you gotta be careful with trainers, but if you scan them, etc., you should be able to find something that works. But I think you’d also need to find something to disable GFWL as well. So, good luck!

• SuperNashwanPower says:

I remember the good old days when you could cheat by typing your highscore name as WIGAN NINJA, and then press buttons for infinite lives.

Operation Thunderbolt on the Amiga :)

• remote says:

I wish the trainers were all riddled with unavoidable viruses and malware, or at least that GFWL would actually detect them and ban any users. I’m really sick of dealing with weak hackers who can’t play the game properly. Anyone who uses a trainer should consider it an obligation to play online. Even then, it’s a shame that a bunch of proud PC GAMERS are so intimidated by “console shite” that they need to cheat.

• Velko says:

@remote: Whoa, who peed on your parade?

• thebigJ_A says:

All the cheaters fucking up the game for the rest of us, is who.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

@Mr Remote, don’t worry I won’t be going online if I used a trainer – at the most it would be a temporary “Oh my god this is my 80th attempt I am fed up now” joker card. I never play online anyway. Hacking does suck if used to screw other people, but if its just your own offline game then I can see no issue with that. I know Dark Souls purists would argue, but I am obviously not one.

TBH I would like to get through it without cheating, and I’ve got a couple of tips to be going on with. At the mo I have un-upgraded shadow armour (I prefer the speed boost to DEF), a +10 claymore, 3 attunement slots with an array of available sorceries / miracles, and an inventory list of picked up weapons and armour longer than my arm. I am level 99 and am at Painted World of Ariamis. Any tips?

This is definitely not console shite, I am guessing you are referring to a comment further through the threads. It could have done with a bit more attention to the port, but it is functional and with a game controller plugged in I don’t notice any UI or control issues. I was genuinely amazed by Sif as an enemy, such an original design. It took about 60 attempts and I nearly chucked my controller out of a window, but still. The inventiveness of the game is striking.

• thebigJ_A says:

Tips? Upgrade your armor, there’s literally no reason possible to not have done that by now. But ditch that Shadow armor. It’s only any good against status effects, and not even very much so un-upgraded. There’s no “speed boost”, just encumbrance. Find the best combination of armors that leave you able to fast roll, depending on your endurance, and upgrade that as high as possible. The difference to the damage you take is night and day.

Leave the painted world for now and upgrade (don’t worry, the boss isn’t hostile till you attack. You can talk to her and are free to leave).

Oh, and playing online makes the game easier, contrary to popular belief. Much, much easier, via the notes people leave and summoning people to help.

The number one thing to know about DS is this: Death is not a fail-state, and it’s not a punishment. It’s just the way the game teaches you.

• JayTee says:

For the painted world, just don’t rest at the bonfire in the place and you can homeward bone it out :)

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Too late lol :) I am a compulsive rester. Shall have to fight my way out now. CROW PEOPLE :0

• thebigJ_A says:

You actually *don’t* have to fight your way out….

Do tell? :)
            I would like to leave and stock up on stuff, then come back for the pickups. Are you allowed more than one journey there?

• Leiaz says:

Yes, you can go back to the painted world. But if you attack the boss, you’ll have to beat her to leave.

For other weapon ideas, have you tried a spear + raised shield ? You should have found a lightning spear in Sen’s Fortress. The damage of lightning weapons doesn’t depend on your stats. The game doesn’t depend too much on the stats, but it still helps to be more powerful in just a few instead of spreading too much.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

I will give that a go, thanks :)

• Gorf says:

I’m sad to hear your having troubles.
      If you havent already done so, make heavy use of the Dark Souls Wiki’s and other guides, they are absolutely brilliant and essential.
      BTW, upgrading your armour and weapons is very important in Dark Souls, more important then attribute point allocation, and it has the largest and most interesting armour and weapon collection then any game ive ever played which you can mix and match to make a character that works best for you.
      I really hope you dont use any trainers or whatever but good luck anyway.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Thanks gorf. At the moment I’m sticking with light armor (shadow) as the movement boost is so helpful. I could put my eastern armor on, which is +3. Is that a bit pants for this part of the game? I’m a compulsive collector so have a wide choice. I just lack souls and materials. I put most of my titanite into a +10 claymore and a couple of weapons that turned out to be awful. I could go and farm undead parish I guess.

• Gorf says:

Undead Parish is not a good farming spot.
          The Crest of Artorius that you buy from Andrei the blacksmith (20,000 souls) lets you into the Hunters woods in Dark root Basin and there is a really easy (early) farming spot there that can net you like 8000 souls (i think its 8000 it might be more or less i cant remember right now)
          and you can do this every 3 minutes or so as there is a campfire right near the farming spot.

Basically it involves running in a circle a short way into the woods and aggroing a bunch of the forest hunter covenant dudes who you can then lead back into a corner which has a ledge right above it and then they follow you but their AI pathing makes them jump off the ledge and over the cliff which kills them instantly. So you just nip back to the nearby (initially hidden campfire) and rinse and repeat.
          Its really easy and is possible very early in the game.

As far as weapon choice goes i would go for somthing lighter and longer like the Uchitanga or Washingpole still has thrust type attack so you can keep mobs at a distance and they are nice and quick. Seriously i love the Washingpole its so awesome especcially upgraded to the max wih some nice enchant, but you can get the Uchitanga earlier its just not as long as the washingpole which is basically a massive great samurai sword.

There is also an early game boss type sword called the Drake sword which to get you need to shoot the tip of the drakes tail off about 20 times and it’ll give you the sword which is really powerful in early game and will last you a good while (it also has a apecial 2 handed attack). Dont get to attached to it tho ;).

Also Quelaag’s Furysword is one of my faves and has some awesome special moves, but as far as armour goes the shadow set is ok for its resistances in places like blighttown but if you want light armour go get the Gold Hemmed Set which makes you look like the grim reaper and add maybe Havels gloves to it for a bit of extra poise.

Another thing i would recommend to make the game a lot easier for you is upgrade the pyromancy glove to the max (ascend it too and keep upgrading) it costs a lot of souls but you can get the souls early on from the farming spot i told you about.

Hi Gorf

Thanks for the tips. Until I read the wiki just now, I didn’t know how to turn boss souls into weapons, so I will try to make the furysword. I haven’t found Havels Armor yet, I need to explore Anor Londo more! Seriously, I don’t usually read the wikis as I want to find stuff out for myself, but you would miss so much if you didn’t. I guess that’s great for replayability though.

Re: farming, I meant titanite farming :) The Balder knights tend to drop it. The Drake sword outlived its usefulness a while back, but I did not kill the vendor so I don’t have the uchitanga. I think you can buy it off someone but cant remember who! Pyromancy glove is at +9 and I have the gold hemmed set on at the mo ( I changed into it when I met the explodey poison zombies). Washingpole sounds interesting, off I go to the wiki again …

I just got further in Painted World, so maybe I am not as crap as I thought.

• Gorf says:

Oh right, well the giant blacksmith sells all kinds of titanite in Anor Londo, and dont forget you can trade with Snuggly in the Asylum (return trip) for all sorts of stuff, and I’m sure there’s a guy at the top of Sens Fortress that sells different titanites.
            The Uchitanga and Washing pole is bought off Shiva of theEast once you become a member of Forest dudes covenant by speaking to the cat, then you will find him in Blightown and he also sells Claws!
            Good luck!

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Thanks again. I am in the Gravelord covenant at the moment, so will have to get absolved from it and then go speak to the cat. I wasn’t that impressed with the Gravelord sword or the Gravelord dance. You look at the latter and go 40 USES OMG. Then you realise that one press of the button looses off 20 of them. So its two then, isn’t it Dark Souls. You cruel, cruel mistress.

Is there much point to joining that ancient dragon covenant in Ash Lake? I heard all the benefits are online only, which I don’t do. Anyone know if you can use the dragon flame in offline SP?

21. DJ Madeira says:

Can you do Deus Ex 1 next?

22. bigjig says:

I picked this game up on a whim thanks to an Amazon half off sale a little while back. All I can say is, wow this game is incredible! Sure the port leaves a lot to be desired, but this game is mesmerizingly intense. Even though I’m still near the start of the game, none of the enemies give me any quarter, which I find refreshingly satisfying. I love the world/monster design, reminds me a lot of Berserk.

felisc says:

Thanks man.

24. pingu666 says:

if your in the uk you can pick up the retail copy online for less (14ish pounds, and you get a ton of really nice extras like a artbook, poster etc :)

and it activates on steam too if you want

25. puzl says:

Just a few amendments:

The framerate unlocker works perfectly 99.9% of the time and I believe the only ladder that has issues is the one in the Undead Burg, above the rats. Luckilly, you can just jump down without using it anyway as the drop won’t kill you. Alternatively, the latest version of DSFix has a bind that allows you to cap to 30fps temporarily, which fixes all framerate-related issues. It’s useful, since the jump/roll distance speed is slightly different when the framerate is unlocked and you occasionally get stuck at bonfires when you un-hollow. They’re annoying quirks, but not game-breaking and the advantage of playing at 60fps makes it worth it.

DSFis has a built-in save game backup feature, which will back up your saves periodically to the time you specify in the config. It’s an essential feature and well worth using.

Lastly, in regards to the network settings, the ONLY port you need to enable in your router/firewall is UDP 3074. There was a discussion on Durantes blog about this and I can confirm it works properly with just this port open. There is absolutely no need whatsoever to open port 80, which is just silly and potentially dangerous.

Oh and do check out http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/ which has some nice texture mods to use. I highly recommend the high resolution font replacement.

Enjoy one of the greatest games ever made, the way it was meant to be played!

• thebigJ_A says:

Having multiple saves is NOT “the way it was meant to be played”.

At all.

Stellar Duck says:

Eh, I’m sure it’s meant to be played the way that’s most fun for you. For me that means backing up my saves so I don’t lose them in the even GFWL eats them (as it has done for me in the Batman games) or they get corrupted.

But that, I habitually back up all my saves so as not to lose time invested.

26. SuperNashwanPower says:

Has the frame rate unlocker been changed so that I no longer have to start a new game? Before it took out GFWL and so I couldn’t use my save game, even if I copied it across.

If I can now use my GFWL save with the unlocker, that would be a sun-praising development. Especially if Blight Town gets better.

• puzl says:

It’s fully integrated into DSfix now and allows you to use your old save games. It also is a proper unlocker, that means that if your FPS dips below 60, it’ll drop down incrementally to 59, 58, 57 etc… whereas before, it dropped straight down to 30FPS and was very jarring.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Then I shall go questing for this file.
        And avoid freeing any scary knights in gold armour that go “KEH heh heh heh”

27. Snids says:

I’d just like to say, little Benjamin is SO CUTE!

28. lordfrikk says:

FYI, the first DSMfix link is broken.

29. Solidstate89 says:

This reminds me, it’s about time I donate to PCGamingWiki again.

30. isdiusdf says:

ONLINE STORE :

+++ http://fur.ly/92gq ++++++++++

Best online store

Best quality, Best reputation , Best services

—**** NHL Jersey Woman $ 40 —**** NFL Jersey $ 35

—**** NBA Jersey $ 34 —**** MLB Jersey $ 35

—**** Jordan Six Ring_m $ 36 —**** Air Yeezy_m $ 45

—**** T-Shirt_m $ 25 —**** Jacket_m $ 36

—**** Hoody_m $ 50 —**** Manicure Set $ 20

—**** handbag $ 37 —**** ugg boot $ 43 —****

—**** sunglass $ 16 —**** bult $ 17 —****

+++ http://fur.ly/92gq ++++++++++

• JoeGuy says:

I am awake far too late, I haven’t had the chance to spot a mythic RPS spam bot comment in nigh a life time of searching. Good day sir, I bid you a ‘blocked’, and a good one at that.

31. skittles says:

33% off (£20.09/$26.79/$46.86)… fixed that pricing by adding the AU to it… :(

32. Whosi says:

Ok, looking to finally take the plunge on this one. Can anyone who played the King’s Field series( I played 2 and 3 looooooooong ago, which were released as 1 and 2 outside Japan) tell me if the difficulty is comparable, easier or harder? Thanks.

• Wedge says:

These control significantly less terrible and clunky, so I would say they end up easier.

33. skyhopper88 says:

I believe the DSfix counts as a speedhack when you bump the FPS up and you can get banned from GFWL and online..

• Paul says:

Nobody got banned so far. 40 hours with 60fps and not a problem.

34. TsunamiWombat says:

Does the resolution fix bork multiplayer?

35. Tuckey says:

Nicked it, installed it, deleted it. Console shite.

• yourgrandma says:

One of the best games to come out in YEARS Easily one of this generations best games. Much reminiscent of the golden era of gaming of learning and mastering a game through acquiring knowledge through failure and perseverance.

• fooga44 says:

Not quite, darksouls only seems so great because all other modern games have fallen so far. Hence ‘it’s the best game in years’ but it’s only now just reaching standards that games from previous eras had already lived up to. Darksouls is back to par where we were in early gaming days when gameplay and challenge were at the fore front and fucking cinematics were icing on the cake.

Most modern games are more like eating a cake of pure icing, it tastes good going down but you’re going to regret it later.

• Metonymy says:

The problem is that this is a PC gaming site.

His comment, however useless, is relevant, and yours is not.

If you were a kid in the 90s (I was not) this game may seem like the second coming of your youth. (Im just guessing) The equivalent for me would be if someone made a modern version of Ultima 4. So I might understand why you like it. The thing is, is that it’s not in fact a good game at all, and it’s certainly not a good PC game. It’s just (your opinion, not mine) a good reflection of what you enjoyed doing as a child.

Ie, console shite.

• yourgrandma says:

the use of “le” is enough to know you have shit taste in anything. blocked.

• remote says:

Certainly the most worthless post here. There are some of us who grew up in the ’80s and still consider this to be the greatest videogame ever made (whether on console or PC). Ultima and your interest in that series (not to mention whatever we played as children) has absolutely zip to do with it. Many of my all-time favorites are PC games, but PC game devotees are often tiresome and you’re a perfect example of that.

The “console shite” post is not relevant, either, for that matter. I’m glad the guy deleted the game, because he doesn’t deserve it. And neither do you.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Let me rustle my feathers and talk down to you about video games. Why, when I was but a young, obnoxious lad, we played good games. You probably played games made for retarded monkeys. That’s why you still play games for retarded monkeys, while I play PC video game masterpieces.

Seriously, what a bunch of presumptuous and condescending shit.

Go preen elsewhere. Acting like a dumb dick and talking down to everyone doesn’t cast you in a positive light. Instead, you come across as a completely snide little prick.

36. Metonymy says:

I like to think my tastes are pretty broad, I play every genre with some enthusiasm. Plantsvszombies to dorf fortress, advance wars to hearts of iron, final fantasy to roguelikes, muds to korean mmos, doom to borderlands.

But this game. This game and mass effect just trouble me. They blow my mind. What on earth does anyone see in this? It’s a 90s console game, with literally every aspect of the design inferior to existing design standards. It would have been forgettable in 1995 on PS1.

And mass effect is like the confluence of the most bland sci-fi, the most bland type of fps, and a ubiquitous, oppressive, endless story that simply will not give you an opening or opportunity to play the actual game. I want to understand, why anyone would spend time on this, and I just have to believe that other people are dead on the inside.

• yourgrandma says:

Sounds like you didn’t give the game a chance. Unlike most Japan generic rpg games (final fantasy) this game really does have a lot of soul and love that went into it. Every enemy has to be learned and new strategies to defeat them. Knowledge and experience in this game is way more powerful then what level you are and griding is completely optional. Story telling is minimalistic but not in a bad way and it usually adds to the atmosphere. The design of the of some of the enemies and AI are unnerving and give you sense of absolute panic and thrill when you first run into them.

I’m stumped on the comparison to mass effect… if anything this game gives you more choices then that game.

• fooga44 says:

Dark souls is a game you have to give a bit of time since it doesn’t hold your hand and have arrows and NPC’s holding your hand every step of the way. You have to actually fumble around to figure out what to do next in Dark souls and many gamers can’t get past not having their hand held.

Dark souls is basically an action RPG in which you are forced to make decisions, there is no easy mode. Dark souls isn’t the second coming like some say it is but Dark souls is just a reflection of how bad most modern games really are. When you mention mass effect as the pinnacle of gaming, there is something wrong.

ME1 had garbage combat (stupid party based bullshit that doesn’t work in a 3D game). ME2 had better combat but it was basically gears of war wrapped in mass effect clothing. ME3 was more of the same.

Mass effect relies on cinematics and audio visual wow to stimulate the player. A game like darksouls relies purely on game-play and solving the game yourself. It just shows how far you’ve fallen as a gamer when you don’t get darksouls.

Mass effect is a game entirely on rails since the 2nd and the third is a pure rail shooter practically, to call mass effect the pinnacle of gaming is sad. Mass effect is great universe and is well executed but it’s entertainment value completely over-relies on the cinematics to hide the repetitive and minimalistic shooting gameplay

• remote says:

Except this game has nothing at all to do with ’90s game design or Mass Effect? For someone who actually has played Dark Souls, your opinions come across as empty. Baffling.

• Emeraude says:

To be fair, though I haven’t played Dark Soul yet – and for the record tend to think Mass Effect is basically a jRPG which dares not speak its name, with all good and/or bad it entails – but it *is* supposedly – and all I can see tends to confirm this – the descendant of King’s Field, which * is* a 90s game.

Nothing wrong with that.

• JoeGuy says:

I don’t think I have ever seen someone dismiss a Souls game and Mass Effect in the same paragraph before. I’m not sure what to say. If you don’t get it, you just don’t. Justifying something, let alone 2 games I consider classics of this gen is almost impossible when they really speak for themselves.

They are quality of atmosphere, sound and immersion, a fantastic art style and game-world, mountains of lore and story just sitting there to be told and emotional investment, frustration and rewarding progression. All with tonnes of replay value. It’s maddening to think someone could have a broad sense of taste and not like either game.

• Nate says:

I’d be happy to offer my own opinion. I like Dark Souls a lot. I don’t think it’s mind-blowingly innovative or anything. But I think it does almost everything really well, and of that adds up to a really enjoyable game.

1) It’s a 3D action game. But its moveset is both diverse and accessible, with little redundancy, because the moves are associated with different weapons, few of which are no-brainer good or bad.

2) Various strategies are both well-balanced yet distinguishable. That is to say, for example, that sorcery is useful, not identical to using a bow, and viable (in any mixture) with other strategies. When you look for solutions to a difficult problem, you find ten different strategies for approaching it– and then make the eleventh.

3) Collision detection is more interesting than it could have been in the 90s, and it’s essential to gameplay, mostly for boss fights, but also when it comes to shielded giants.

4) The world is evocative and original. There is a boss that is a giant wolf– that fights with a giant sword held in its maw. Somehow, they have implemented this ridiculous idea in a way that most people find really cool. That’s just an example of the sort of thing I’m talking about.

5) Sound design is great. This is easy to take for granted, but in-game music is immersive, reinforcing the environments, when in most games it distracts. Sound cues are important, useful, and appropriate to the game world.

6) Multiplayer is handled in an original way. Not always perfect, but at least original. People that want to avoid multiplayer can’t quite always avoid it, but mostly can. That’s appropriate.

7) Pacing is great. Although the game is nearly linear, there are just enough side chains to give you something interesting to try out when you tire of banging your head against a boss. Bosses are designed in such a way that even when you die over and over again, you’re left with the feeling that it was your fault, and that next time, you’ll do it right. And eventually, you do get them.

8) Death penalties are appropriate. Story makes it so that death does not break immersion as it does in most RPGs/action games. Death penalties are mild, yet leave you highly motivated to live.

9) The difficulty curve is just right for a huge number of players. Secrets take work to figure out, but are not frustrating. The difficulty ends up stroking your ego when you overcome it. That’s great. In Dark Souls, everything is really really hard, and nothing is impossible.

I guess that’s enough. I don’t believe Dark Souls is a revolutionary game. I merely believe that it is a very, very good game, and it’s because almost all aspects of it are of very high quality.

jrodman says:

Comments by yourgrandma blocked by you.
    — Comments by Metonymy blocked by you.
    —- Comments by yourgrandma blocked by you.

Etc.

I’m sure those two are having a hoot!

38. pistolhamster says:

Dear Andrew: For your next The Fixer article, please also include the texture mods etc that are vital to shine up a game. Gameplay mods is a differnet beast and not fixing as such unless the game is agreed to be fundamentally flawed in its rule mechanics.
    But for this article I had to plough through the comments to get the rest. Thanks for the article, I want to buy this game now.

39. andytizer says:

Hi this is the author here – thanks for all the support and feedback on this new column. I’m not able to make corrections yet, but this is hopefully something I can do for the next one.

I have a couple more articles in the pipeline and I’d like to open suggestions on what to cover for my next column, which could be a brand new release, or an older classic. For example, BLOPS2, AssCreed3 and Hitman are all being released soon, or we could go back and fix an older game like Deus Ex which was suggested.

• Gorf says:

Hi I love PCgamingWiki and i think this column will be really popular, and will bring in lots of good commenting and discussing…. cant wait for the next one. (I’d prefer older games btw)

• WinTurkey says:

How about GTA IV? Notoriously awful PC port, can be tweaked to look better than Crysis with that ICEnhancer and custom texture things.

• Andrew Tsai says:

Thanks I’ll take a look at GTAIV.. in fact I started a playthrough a week or so ago, it may be worth me including my findings so far.

40. WinTurkey says:

I object to calling the PC version a mere “functional port”, we got a decent timed exclusive DLC for free.

41. Sayori says:

Maybe I will buy it when it’s on sale for 5 euro and FIXED by the dev.
    I don’t have intention to play games on PC with pad…. please, devs, take this as a note!

• JoeGuy says:

Some games like Racing games, Hack n’ Slash Action and Fighting games etc. are just better with a game pad. Refusing to play games based on controls alone is just doing a disservice to your game library.

Everything has been fixed by the Durante mod except a couple of quirks you get use to and mouse & keyboard support is as good as they are going to get. I had no intention of playing DS with anything but a controller after playing Demon’s Souls on the PS3; it just feels nice with a controller.

• The Tupper says:

I think it’s often a case of younger gamers not realising that pads have been a PC gaming fixture since the days before dedicated graphics cards.

• Subject 706 says:

@Tupper
          For the love of god, yes! When I was young (well I’m still 32 years young), there was a lot more diversity in control options for pc games. Both pads an joysticks were quite common, so this new hate for anything that isn’t pure M/K is both strange and stupid.

• Emeraude says:

Attitude potentially destructive of fitting game design, I find. The rejection of anything that isn’t “optimized” in use seems somewhat counterintuitive when the whole purpose of a game is to impose artificial constraints in the first place.

But then we’re heading dangerously close to “aiming in Resident Evil isn’t a flaw, it’s a feature” territory.

42. Scabmastah says:

I realize I’m a bit late saying this but; don’t buy this from steam directly, Always use Savygamer to get the best price for a game.

• unguided says:

Or get a physical copy from amazon UK, cheaper than steam (even with the deal), and you get the poster etc if you are into that.

43. usonfj says:

ONLINE STORE :

+++ http://fur.ly/92gq ++++++++++

Best online store

Best quality, Best reputation , Best services

—**** NHL Jersey Woman $ 40 —**** NFL Jersey $ 35

—**** NBA Jersey $ 34 —**** MLB Jersey $ 35

—**** Jordan Six Ring_m $ 36 —**** Air Yeezy_m $ 45

—**** T-Shirt_m $ 25 —**** Jacket_m $ 36

—**** Hoody_m $ 50 —**** Manicure Set $ 20

—**** handbag $ 37 —**** ugg boot $ 43 —****

—**** sunglass $ 16 —**** bult $ 17 —****

+++ http://fur.ly/92gq ++++++++++

44. GeorgiaSomer22 says:

I’ve made $64,000 so far this year working online and I’m a full time student. Im using an online business opportunity I heard about and I’ve made such great money. It’s really user friendly and I’m just so happy that I found out about it. Heres what I do, http://Fox76.com