Meet Loremaster Lawrence: The Elder Scrolls Online

By Adam Smith on January 21st, 2013 at 10:00 am.

I have about as much interest in Elder Scrolls’ lore as I do in high definition photographs of infected hangnails. I’ve been playing the series since the release of Daggerfall but I’ve managed to absorb absolutely nothing about any ongoing plot or fantastic history. All that is about to change. The latest video promotion for The Elder Scrolls Online is hosted by ‘Loremaster Lawrence Schick’, who not only has an excellent job title and name, but also boasts superior facial foliage and a voice that is both wise and soothing. It is now one of my life’s ambitions to have Lawrence read The Silmarillion to me as a bedtime story.

“Three young, muscular alliances…fertile heartland…Abnur Tharn’s Daedric connections” – normally, anyone saying that last quoted part with a straight face would instantly lose my attention and respect, but when Mr Schick says it, I find myself leaning foward. Oh ho! Do go on. Tell me more about these Daedric connections!

, , , , .

1. GallonOfAlan says:

“Abnur Tharn’s Daedric Connections” sounds like the sort of nonsense they have on the Discovery channel these days.

• Hoaxfish says:

well, the other channel has “glamour my chariot” which isn’t much better

• stupid_mcgee says:

Sounds like name of some kind of black metal and lounge jazz fusion band.

• Universal Quitter says:

I don’t know, but “Three young, muscular alliances…fertile heartland…” has to be the gayest thing I’ve read in a long time. And I’m not scurred of catchin’ the gays.

2. Inigo says:

I never want to see that man say the words “young” and “muscular” in the same sentence ever again.

AmateurScience says:

I like that the lore exists in TES, I rarely seek it out, but I like it being there – does that make sense?

• gladius2metal says:

yeah, I usually read it online “outside” of the game (wikis) etc.

Morlock says:

Absolutely. That’s how a lot of people think about real world lore.

4. Hmm-Hmm. says:

The less choices and options you have within a game the more one will need other reasons to become and remain interested in a game. A fleshed-out and functional (hi there, Blizzard!) lore can very much be a significant part of that. Well, at least for some people.

I am one of those. I really enjoyed this video although I have very little interest in playing any MMO (other than perhaps Guildwars 2).

• Wreckdum says:

GW2 WOOOO! God I love that game. I’m about 1000 hours in and I just keep finding even more reasons why I love it.

5. lofaszjoska says:

“Comments are disabled for this video.”
    Gee, I wonder why.

• billyphuz says:

If comments were disabled for all videos in all of the youtubes, I think the world would be a better place.

6. Ansob says:

It’s daft that they’ve reduced the various factions in this to just three alliances, since the political side of stuff was always one of the more interesting parts of TES.

• Hyomoto says:

They are ambitious games to be sure, but as production costs rose Bethesda has chosen to cut more and more corners in gameplay with each title (I’m honestly surprised they’ve never cut a race). I think an MMO therefore was an obvious and natural next step. It provides an easy excuse to explain why the technical aspects are lacking, it’s an MMO!

My question is, if the games have survived on fervent modding communities (Morrowind?) that only agree on what the game is LACKING, how did this idea ever gain momentum?

• razgon says:

Really? Skyrim is cutting corners? Most people I hear that play the game has far over 100 hours and thats without the DLC.
        Thats quite a lot of content, especially compared to say, Daggerfall with its procudurally created dungeons contra fleshed out dungeons, or Morrowind with its far smaller dungeons.

As for the games only surviving based on modding, you are plain wrong – sales numbers on Xbox and Ps3 tells you this.

• Dariune says:

Skyrim cut huge corners. It’s more accessible to the masses because of some of the corner cuts which might be why some people have played it a lot.

But the character customisation is far far far simpler than in previous games (It gets cut down with each iteration).

There are comparatively few spells and equipment and the scenery is less diverse (Perhaps not Oblivion but certainly Morrowind)

My personal opinion is that this is a negative thing and directly got in the way of my enjoying the game but I imagine a lot of people prefer the simpler mechanics.

• razgon says:

I’m unsure what they cut away during character creation? You mean the class selections? Or the two removed skills Athleticism and. jumping?

As for spells – Thats true, but then again Morrowin was a mess with spells -You can win the game in 2 minutes with spells if you know how. I realize its freedom, but its also totally exploitation of the system that was the result of how Morrowind handled spells and alchemy.
            For some reason I cant remember how Oblivion handled spells at all right now.

Lastly – more accessible to the masses isn’t necessarily a bad thing. This is not an exclusive hobby.

AmateurScience says:

What they removed was the ability to completely bork your character to the point where the game was almost completely unplayable.

I’m in love with morrowind as much as anyone but designing a system where it’s extremely suboptimal to select the skills your character will be using the most as his/her major skills was not a good move.

• ChromeBallz says:

Skyrim is the best implementation of the system so far IMHO. Steamrolling Morrowind and Oblivion with skills that weren’t in your class got old quickly – Skyrim vastly improves the entire system by completely getting rid of classes and making you focus on the actual skills rather than skill packages. It also removes the straitjacket of classes from level 1, allowing for far more experimentation, especially newer players.

I don’t really understand what older players really think that they lost, other than unnecessary complexity. Complexity for the sake of complexity is bad! The current system is simple in it’s basis but still allows for some very deep customization, while doing away with the quite frankly utterly stupid exploiting that was going on in previous games. It’s a proper RPG system now.

I too was dissappointed at first, but once i let myself in on the whole thing i can’t imagine playing any of the previous games anymore – They just don’t make sense.

Skyrim lets you *play* the character you want to *play*, rather than force you to use guides, wikis, spreadsheets and tools to find out whether one of the possible combinations of skills you’d like to use won’t gimp you into oblivion.

• NathanH says:

I think Oblivion managed a good balance between interesting spells and game balance. Of course there were still a few ways to break it but that’s an acceptable cost for an interesting spell creation system. Skyrim’s spell system is so much more dull.

As for the character creation, there effectively isn’t any in Skyrim. Apart from a couple of racial traits, all characters start equal, which is a bit rubbish. In previous iterations, you could have fairly well-defined characters right from the start, but in Skyrim not so much.

Skyrim’s method of determining when you level up is probably better though, although it has some disadvantages of its own.

• Dariune says:

I genuinly do not understand people who play a game to break it. Yes with indepth character mechanics there is often ways to break the game to be found. But I never look for them. And they rarely bother me. Yes sometimes there are glaringly obvious issues but more often than not you have to seek them out.

When I level a character I look for more than a single attribute (out of a choice of three) and a single perk.

I prefer to have to think about the expenditure of points and for those changes to matter. With Skyrim you are reduced to the Wizard, Warrior rogue theme with minor variations. That level of customisation just doesnt appeal to me.

Yes there was a class system previously but it was hardly inhibiting given that you could bypass it altogether, make your own class and level up any skills you wanted.

Levitation was a superb skill which allowed you total freedom at the cost of speed. Other spells from previous games were sorely missed by me as well.

The equipment was stripped down too. I didn’t miss the separate pauldrons from Morrowind but I did miss the cut down version in Skyrim from Oblivion.

I have no issues with you guys disagreeing with me but you will never persuade me that what I like and didn’t like about the game is wrong.

I felt the mechanics were too simplistic. I’m sure you will survive, even with that knowledge.

Morlock says:

I too would like to see more spells, but let’s not forget that casting has changed by including optimal bimanual casting. This results in some additional options.

The addition of Perks is also nice, though some are too gimmicky. I really don’t like the “bullet time” perks. To me they harm immersion.

• razgon says:

You mean the dragonvoice spell slow time?

• werix says:

As someone who has been playing since Morrowind, I agree with what most have posted, Skyrim got it right. I was skeptical at first, but I fell in love with the classless system. I also though the perk system worked well too. Hell I was more creative and made “classes” I never thought of in previous class-based iterations of the series, such as a heavily armored fighter who only used conjured weapons, since perks gave conjured weapons a benefit with auto-soul trap and banishing.

that said, I do think there were some mistakes made in the magic department. Many of the old spells were not necessary, and I never used in Morrowind, thing like jump, detect keys, and the like. The only streamlining in the magic department i thought was for the worse was the removal of spell creation. One thing I always liked in Morrowind and even Oblivion was the ability to make spells, particularly offensive spells. I think the game lost something in not being able to make big-all magic spells with tons of DoT effects.

But cut corners? The game was deeper than Oblivion ever was, that’s for damned sure.

• Josh W says:

There’s this bizarre effect in games like morrowind, in that taking certain choices marked as making your character better at something will make them worse at it medium term. This means that although they allow you to customise your character in the sense of changing it, they do not allow you to customise it in the sense of making changes you want, unless you make changes that seem opposite to them in order to get what you want.

Having a way to choose class and make it have absolutely no effect on character effectiveness medium term would actually be better.

In fact that is a solution of sorts, remove any effect of advancement in the basic skills until the bonuses from your class are exceeded, so that you have an ability to make your character automatically good and bad at certain things from the off.

Of course, such a system would be unintuitive in that skills appear to be getting better without actually doing so, but this can be resolved by instead adding it to skills and halving the bonus for skills until the halved skill increases add up to the same bonus, basically giving the skill bonus from class a linear tail-off as you level.

And there you have it, class packages for character generation, and freeform skills. Of course it would then still make it quite beneficial to have skill packages in things you will avoid levelling, in order to retain the maximum “free” skill points, except that with use-based levelling you cannot help but do so! Meaning that leaving skills on their minimum would require wasting those same free skill points by never using them.

Morlock says:

No, I am talking about stuff like this:

- Zooming in with a bow slows time by 25% (50% for second rank)

- Time slows down if you are blocking during an enemy’s power attack

• razgon says:

That’s just magic used in conjunction with your skills :-)

• Josh W says:

My impression was that it was not meant to be magic, in the use mana for spells/souls for enchantments sense, but actual human/khajiit skill. You can explain it in those terms, as subjective time dilation as happens at important moments to people in real life, (often in waiting rooms for some reason, as well as battles).

• Vernalagnia says:

Believe it or not (and it seems like you’re inclined to not) the three alliances thing is a very deliberate, well thought out design decision. Without rehashing the history of MMOs it basically boils down to this : TES Online is going to have a major PvP RvR component, and TES Online’s director is Matt Frior, one of the lead guys behind Dark Age of Camelot , which is basically, to this day, is the only MMO to get large scale, objective driven PvP right. One of the major components to balancing large scale, objective driven PvP is having a three faction system, owing simply to the fact that its balance problems are more self correcting than a two faction system (see WAR, WOW, etc). Also it’s just cooler to have three factions.

• f1x says:

yeap, there is a chance that TESO ends up being good, there is a lot of talent behind it

only problem is so far they have been presenting it in a dull way, starting with the art style

Also, about two oppossed factions, it always surprised my why that model has survived so long and has been so imitated, the only reason is of course “hey WoW sells a lot, so lets do it like that”, but its a flawed model that ends up in having population split inside a server and leads to balance issues

I hope that indeed, the elder scrolls online is smarter with that, not only about the 3 factions but also making it possible to communicate with the other factions and perhaps even make sorts of pacts and such, going for something more dinamic and that actually enhances some interaction besides farming battlegrounds

• Josh W says:

I agree about the elegance of a three faction balancing system (george orwell found it out quite while ago), although I can’t help wondering if there is a possibility for larger numbers of factions that would have the same kind of effect..

• Necroscope says:

Search on youtube a film entitled ‘The Elder Scrolls : The Dumbing Down’. I enjoyed Skyrim for all it’s worth including the bug outs and changes of design philosophy, yet I find this critique fascinating, more so because it’s indicative of a wider trend in gaming.

7. Narzhul says:

I actually like the Elder Scrolls lore, even read the in-game books and such. But, I have no interest in this MMO.

• Nameless1 says:

There’s a reason for this. They potentially have a very good lore, but they usually distort it and use it like shit in their games (especially starting with oblivion).
      The same, even worse, will happen in a MMO

• Narzhul says:

I wouldn’t say they used it like shit in Skyrim. I’m thoroughly enjoying how they implement things, take them from books or further it in-game. Oblivion was meh though.

• Snargelfargen says:

Bethesda is incredibly good at taking completely insane lore and making it seem unexceptional and boring. Skyrim was a bit better than Oblivion, but still rather tame.

I mean, this is a world where all the contradicting multiple endings of Elder Scrolls:Arena ARE ALL TRUE AT THE SAME TIME. Somehow.
          Then there’s the teleporting islands full of elves, a transgender god-king, a moon crashing into the planet in slow motion that has been converted into a prison and on and on…

• RobinOttens says:

Case in point: wasn’t the elven architecture supposed to look like the imperial city and like those ruins you see throughout Oblivion? And the altmeri dominion supposed to be filled with towers like the big white one in the middle of Cyrodiil? The artwork they have in the background just shows some WoW/LordoftheRings looking elvish architecture. /nitpick

Anyway, such a soothing voice. It doesn’t even matter that what he says is uninteresting and boring. Just have that man voice every elder scrolls game from now on.

• Snargelfargen says:

I’m pretty sure the ayleids were a different forgotten elven civilization native to Cyrodiil. So their architecture was unique. Of course according to the lore, all of Cyrodiil should have been a tropical jungle, which would have made Oblivion a very different game.

• RobinOttens says:

Well yeah, but what I know about the altmer homeland is that it’s supposed to be filled with these white towers like the one in the imperial capital. Ah well, what do I know.

• Snargelfargen says:

Well Bethesda hasn’t been consistent with their lore yet, no reason to start now!

• Ostrego says:

Actually, it is explained via Vivec’s Sermons, (sermons right?) about how vivec and before him how tiberious were actually self made gods through the use of the elderscrolls construction set, no joke. He used his powers to tame the land, converting jungle into hospitable countryside.

Faldrath says:

I built a personal library in Morrowind. And then in Oblivion. And then in Skyrim. TES lore is actually pretty interesting, and, at least for me, one of the main factors that gives a sense of place for the series – as far as “immersion” goes, it helps a lot.

8. Danny says:

I’ll just call the alliances: Hibernia, Albion and Midgard.

Thank you.

• Vernalagnia says:

Ha. It works pretty well too. Only difference is that Daggerfall/Albion starts with an ugly race this time.

• Danny says:

I had a pink Albion Armsman back in the day, so I’ll feel right at home ;)

9. Toberoth says:

It’s kind of a shame that all of this interesting creative work isn’t being done for a game that won’t be a complete flop :-(

• RobinOttens says:

The sad truth about most MMOs for me. Loads of interesting world building and large fiction, written for games that lack the characters and situations to tell an engaging story, and lack the interaction and freedom to let me create my own engaging story.

10. f1x says:

I have a new purpose in life,
    to get a job as Loremaster or perhaps Keeper of Secrets or maybe Royal Archmage

11. Shantara says:

I remember reading all sort of crazy awesome TES: Andoran (russian total conversion mod) background information. I could hardly believe that it was based on actual TES universe lore. It’s a shame that Oblivion and Skyrim developers couldn’t come up with less bland and stereotypical storylines.

12. razgon says:

Its going to be interesting for sure, how much Elder Scrolls there is going to be in this MMO – I’m especially concerned about the combat – While many dislike combat in Oblivion and even Skyrim, I find the standard press 1.2.3.1.2.1.3 MMO approach even more boring.

The Elder Scrolls greatest strengths have always been exploration and freedom,and I fear an MMO is not the best vehicle for those two things.

13. FloorBelow says:

Not interested in TES lore? Read this.

(Don’t worry, it’s short. And brilliant.)

RedViv says:

Too brilliant to keep the writers around at the company and pay them.

[INT 10] You mean they are not writing for the company any longer?

14. biggergun says:

Hold on, I’m pretty sure I killed Almalexia. We all did at some point.

Also, I love TES lore. All those texts about how from a cosmological perspective Nirn is giant wheel and Daedra are its spokes make me hope that even in a MMO variant it’ll be weird and crazy enough to be interesting.

• razgon says:

Elder Scrolls online is 2nd Era, while the events of Morrowind is 3rd Era.

There’s a nice timeline to be seen here: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

• phelix says:

Why use that shitty Wikia? Use UESP.net, like all the cool kids have since 1995.

RedViv says:

The Nerevarine killed her around seven centuries later. Around the time of TESO, the Tribunal are still kicking it in high gear.

• biggergun says:

Oh. That actually makes everything better. I always felt guilty about that “depriving the living gods of power” business.

• Narzhul says:

Why would you feel guilty about people who betrayed your past life? I thoroughly enjoyed killing them.

• biggergun says:

Well, I figured that past life was ages ago, and since then the Tribunal was quite good for the dunmer. Sure beats being Azura’s toy nation.

• Narzhul says:

Eh. I like Azura. She never really controlled anything as Daedric Princes don’t do that, even if she is one of the few that takes an interest in the mortal world. If I was her I’d be pissed at them too, for the betrayal and for using the tools too.

Besides, the Tribunal was losing power anyway, whatever good they had been doing hasn’t been working for a while, what with Morrowind getting absorbed by the empire and all.

• biggergun says:

Daedra do not care for mortals. Azura is not an exception here: she likes playing goddess, but does so to pass eternity, not to do good (or even evil). I agree with Vivec here: betrayal or not, mortals becoming gods is an insult to her with all her fancy cryptic prophecies. She’s just jealous.

And Morrowind being absorbed by the Empire the way it happened is a good example of why having three living gods at your side is handy, in my opinion – dunmer got to keep all the things they wanted to keep, but at the same time enjoyed the benefits of joining the Empire. I doubt that would’ve been possible without Vivec.

Durkonkell says:

My Nerevarine was a Khajiit, and the Khajiit revere Azura (Azurah) as a goddess, equal to the Aedra (like Mara) that appear in their pantheon. They attribute to her their feline form and their attachment to the Lunar Lattice. As for the Tribunal, the continued use of (primarily) Khajiit and Argonian slaves in Morrowind was part of the agreement that the Tribunal made with Tiber Septim to bring Morrowind into the Empire. Technically, the Armistice doesn’t specify the race of said slaves, but in practice the vast majority of them were Khajiit and Argonians taken in (illegal!) raids outside of the borders of Morrowind.

There is no way that the Tribunal were unaware of this. While they were perhaps a net force for good in the past, that certainly wasn’t the case at the time of the Nerevarine. I still didn’t enjoy striking down Almalexia. She was the merciful one, the healer and also Nerevar’s wife in the distant past (although she probably did participate in his betrayal and murder, depending on what you choose to believe).

Uh… so in conclusion, unless Skyrim’s final expansion allows me to overthrow the joke of an Emperor and restore the line of Dragonborn Emperors (here’s a question: If the Amulet of Kings still existed, would it fit around the Dovahkiin’s neck or would it fall off?) in a bid to reunify Tamriel and flatten the Thalmor, Morrowind’s story is still the best.

15. Stevostin says:

Elder Scroll are mainly a game about exploring, inventing yourself a new life, experimenting things. Lore is all fine but if they want me interested, they have to explain how they’ll do that in a MMO. So far I just don’t buy it. This will be another game with ppl spamming on the chan to farm some thing, do a group quest or sell you a +12 something sword. Quite the absolute opposite of the TES games to me.

16. The Random One says:

From now on I’ll refer to TES lore as “Schick Tracts”.

17. derella says:

In Morrowind, I read many of the books and found the lore interesting. Oblivion/Skyrim seemed to use all of the same books(I’m sure they added more) but I just never felt the need to read them.

I have no interest in ESO though. I think I’m just done with MMOs… At least for now.

corinoco says:

TES as MMO will be dreadful. MMOs are dreadful. They are full of the general public, usually 15 yr old male general public (or older members with the minds of 15 yr olds). If I want to mix with the general public I’ll catch a bus or a train. PC gaming is for my enjoyment, and the select few I play coop with.

A proper coop TES would be brilliant – an MMO is just going to die horribly, lets be honest. In 10 years time I’ll still be able to play Skyrim (as well as Morrowind, Daggerfall) but TESO will be gone, deleted for ever.

I hope TES survives this aberration, but history tells us studios don’t survive failed MMOs.

• Danny says:

TEO is being developed by ZeniMax online, not BethSoft. And ZeniMax’s coffers are deep.

• Jenks says:

Anything that someone doesn’t enjoy is full of 15 year old boys.

Xbox live is full of 15 year old boys
      MMOs are full of 15 year old boys
      DOTA and LoL are full of 15 year old boys
      FPS games are full of 15 year old boys

19. Yosharian says:

What’s funny is that Skyrim with a bit of multiplayer worked into it could work, in a sense where 1-3 of your buddies could connect to your world and team up to complete mega quests, duel, etc.

This reworking the game entirely into an MMO isn’t going to work.

• razgon says:

I’m curious what you base this on? I mean, both Bethesda and Zenimax are LARGE business’, who do not throw money away if they can help it. Its a sure thing they have looked at the market, had consultants and have spreadsheeted the market to death before investing the money. It would be folly to assume they are doing this because it “seems fun”.

So – What makes you so sure that “This reworking the game entirely into an MMO isn’t going to work.” other than your opinion?

20. Aaarrrggghhh says:

I want this man to read my letters to me. Paying your bills has never been so much fun!

21. Felixader says:

Why? Why? WHY?
    Why do the female characters have to have massive cleavages for no fucking reason?
    A thing i really like in the Elder Scrolls games is that Armor looks the same way massive on males as on females (at least in Oblivion and Skyrim).
    It will probably make some people roll their eyes in regards to me saying that, but every time i see this shit crop up in an MMO i get this ball of frustration and annoyed anger in my stomach.

• Rosveen says:

I expected a Bosmer and they showed me a human female with huge cleavage. Good going, Zenimax.

Btw, half of metal armors in Skyrim have boobplate, so it’s not as good as you describe. Oblivion was better, with iron, mithril and elven armor as the only major culprits.

22. Jenks says:

“The Ebonheart Pact is one of the three joinable factions warring against the Empire. The crest of the Ebonheart Pact is a dragon, and its color is red. It consists of the Dunmer of Morrowind, the Nords of Skyrim and the Argonians of Black Marsh. The alliance was reluctantly formed out of necessity; despite the three warlike races’ ancestral hatred for each other, they recognised the threat posed by their unified enemies and banded together to protect their borders.”

Sounds like typical, shoehorned in crap to fit some MMO design doc. Reminds me very much of WoW, and slapping undead on “the horde team.”

• Kuraudo says:

Didn’t the nords hate the Dunmer, and didn’t the Dunmer enslave the Argonians at every chance they got? How the hell does this make any sense.

• spongthe1st says:

Yes, I was thinking the same thing when the alliances were first announced, the devs appear to have ignored the lore by throwing all the races together which hate each other most. Not that I care in terms of how the game will turn out, because I think TES needs an MMO like I need an arse on my elbow

• Brun says:

This. Although I disagree with Jenks’ complaint about the Undead in WoW – Warcraft 3 gave a pretty good background on why the Undead are part of the Horde – or at least makes their membership plausible. The circumstances of the Forsaken’s membership in the Horde are never really elaborated on (the intro to WoW simply states that they joined because they had nowhere else to go), but I’d say that in the context of each game’s respective lore background, an Undead alliance with the Horde in WoW is *much* more plausible than an alliance between the Nords, Dunmer, and Argonians in TES.

• Arglebargle says:

Yep, they had to fit the races into their procrustean need for three factions. It was just simpler to grab three continguous areas, and call it ‘an alliance’. These three groups would be amongst the LEAST likely to form up an alliance. It’s just game mechanics trumping anything resembling Elder Scrolls. They know it, Schick knows it, we know it. They’ll just pretend it makes sense in lore, because it makes things easier for them.

Unless the in-game story for this faction clearly presents it as the most dysfunctional group EVER, it’s just a shallow conveniance move.

• Brun says:

I guess the other way they could approach it is by starting them out as friends but then, through the faction story, explain how they come to hate each other so much, but that would also feel like a cop-out. I’m pretty sure the Dunmer/Argonian hate (and Nord/Dunmer hate) goes back a looooooooong time.

23. Fiyenyaa says:

Wait, is Cyrodil still going to be a boring-o generic “woods and plains” style fantasy land like it was in Oblivion? I always remember reading in the lore that it used to be a tropical jungle, and some spell was cast to change it into a temperate climate before the time when Oblivion was set.
    Surely if Bethesda have learned anything from Skyrim, it’s that a physical setting with a bit more personality to it is far more well received (to say nothing of Morrowind since I never played it)? I want my tropical Roman setting!

24. guygodbois00 says:

I’ll pass. Great voice though.

25. Snargelfargen says:

Bethesda hasn’t been consistent with their lore yet, no reason to start now!

26. Josh W says:

Hang on, why would the morrowind guys be bothered by someone having connections to the extradimensional demon dudes? Isn’t that a standard part of their society? Ah, wait, I looked his specific daedric ally up.

Strange choice for an ally!

The problem here is that the goals as presented here suggest a slightly different dynamic, rather than the simple one of the other two ganging up on the current winner; if the elves and humans want to take over the world, and the “other dudes” faction want to kill necromancers and stop demon things, then although they might want to rebalance the other two alliances, the other two have no particular reason to gang up on them, because their victory doesn’t look like a conquest or empire, due to the splits within it’s own faction.

Basically, when the other dudes start winning, their faction should balance itself by splitting apart under it’s own internal tensions as it gets closer to victory, while the other two fight mainly to keep their balance of power within whatever the other guys are up to.

27. hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

Based on the number of audio edits I’m guessing he talked for three hours and they just clipped the most succinct bits together and then threw in the muscular alliances bit for giggles.