Insane Torchlight II Mod Adds New Class, Monsters, Raids

By Nathan Grayson on January 30th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

When you played through Torchlight II, did it feel like something was – I don’t know - missing? Wait, for real? Because there was a whole, whole lot of stuff in Runic’s brilliant sophomore slasher (read that phrase again; videogame lingo is weird sometimes, you guys), so I was mostly joking for the purposes of introducing this sentence: Torchlight II was a glorious loot pinata explosion of glowy, sparkly, monster-y things, but a positively mad mod team has decided to add more anyway. Heaps more. A new Necromancer class, 108 Elite monsters, 28 raid dungeons, a new hub, and new quest lines. And that (available right now) is only the beginning of a plan so absurdly grandiose that it may as well be the sun to vanilla Torchlight II’s tiny disposable travel bag flashlight.

Quite a potent necromancer, no? He comes with 30 new skills, a charge bar, and his own set of legendary armor, too, so this isn’t just a new class in name alone. As for everything else in this particular package, well, brace yourself. You know when people practically coat refrigerators in magnets of big, brightly colored numbers? Well, catch.

“SynergiesMOD is a complete conversion for Torchlight 2. Adding 108 Elite monsters, 6 Rare dragons, 28 Raid dungeons, 11 unique World Bosses, 4 Sets of Legendary Armor, 16 new Tier-1 Legendary Weapons, brand new Quest lines, a new World hub for ACT5, and a whole new class: The Necromancer. Future plans include 24 planned Classes, 3 more Raid Dungeon chains, 2 Quest hubs, 2 more ACTS of overworld play, 3 more Legendary Armor sets, a second tier of legendary weapons, as well as fleshing out the tier1 weapons with more options.”

24 classes. I have no idea whether or not these people can actually pull it off, but more power to them. And honestly, look at what they’ve already achieved – sans any sort of official mod tools, no less.

So SynergiesMOD is quite the thing, and the remainder of its planned content is apparently in “aggressive” development. I hope that means they’re punching their keyboards and hurling very insults words at one another. That said, I also hope it means, you know, they’ll actually get it done – and not swerve into the ditch of dysfunction that is mod purgatory. We have concrete reason to be optimistic, though. That’s better than can be said for a lot of mods, if you ask me.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. StevoIRL says:

Meanwhile Blizzard is adamant that having a closed system that is infested by gold farming bots is the superior game for consumers to buy…..

• f1x says:

You know, before D3 released I was one of those who defended the game, the system and said everything was going to be allright

Time has proven me wrong, terribly wrong… oh the horror,

no, seriously, I cry at night, D3 sucks

• caddyB says:

Don’t remind me, if I bought nails and stuck them in my eyeballs instead of buying D3 it would be less of a waste of cash. And less painful, too.

Yay hyperbole!

• Ross Angus says:

The line-up for this year’s HyperBowl(tm) is impressive. I hope Peter Molyneux makes it to the final.

• caddyB says:

He is definitely making it to the finals in “Unrealistic Expectations” and “Unwarranted Self-Importance” categories because he’s been doing that since Black&White and there’s no reason to stop now.

• MadTinkerer says:

And it’s Peter Molyneux vs. Peter Molyneux’s Critics at the Hyperbowl this year! Longtime fans may remember that “The PMC” was originally formed under the name “John Romero’s Critics” but reformed under the current name when Romero left the public spotlight. Thanks to Peter revealing too much about his intentions for each Fable game prior to reality collapsing the Imagination Waveform and solidifying them into actual games of varying quality, Peter has faced The PMC on the field many times over the years. Recently, Peter Molyneux’s team just had a successful Kickstarter, which has given plenty of fuel for speculation on both sides!

Will GODUS be the best game ever or the worst game ever? Pick your side, and remember that there’s no middle ground in The Hyperbowl!

• mseifullah says:

You know, I’d love it if there was an actual Hyperbowl tournament and awards event that took place at the end of the year. Different categories like: Biggest Advertising Campaign, Most Promises Broken at Launch, Most Pretentious, and Most Hyped.

Someone make this happen.

• nearly says:

just remember that the HyperBowl(tm) wouldn’t be possible without commenters like us

• UncleLou says:

From a slightly different point of view: at least TL2 has mods, because Runic seems to have all but abandoned the game.

• Xocrates says:

I’m not sure I follow.

Some quick googling tells me the last patch was released 2 weeks ago, and the game not only was pretty big but, as noted, also has mod support.

So what exactly do you mean? Unless you’re saying playing with randoms online is crap (which is true of every co-op game ever) I don’t understand your complaint,

• Jupiah says:

He means that it’s been four months since the game was released and Runic still hasn’t released the official mod editor program, which is code-named GUTS. They won’t even give an estimated release date for it. It’s certainly starting to feel like they’ve abandoned the game.

• Xocrates says:

Ah! That makes a bit more sense. I honestly thought that was out by now (since, you know, there’s mods and all)

• Baines says:

The official mod tools were supposed to have been out around October. They have been “coming soon” pretty much ever since then.

The last time I recall someone even asking about it on the Runic forums was back in December. The last time I recall one of the Runic staff actually talking about it was back in November, when the tools were being polished. (One of those posts also mentioned that they were working on small expansion packs for the game for the holidays. I think the only thing actually added to the game since then was another pet? EDIT: Two pets, and they were added before the mod tool post. They were the promoted “Free DLC”.)

Considering the release of the official mod tools was supposed to see a finalized file format that could potentially break compatibility, some modders were holding off on working on the game.

• Anton_Titus says:

my best friend’s mom makes $74 an hour on the internet. She has been out of work for 8 months but last month her income was $19922 just working on the internet for a few hours. Read more on this web site… http://xurl.es/ya08g

2. Faldrath says:

Holy crap. Given that I didn’t click with any of TL2′s vanilla classes, I’m wondering if the Necromancer is something I would enjoy.

Seriously: hooray for PC gaming.

• Hoaxfish says:

Yea, TL’s classes a nice, but sometimes I just like using the bog-standard ones that pop up in RPGs. Being a boring human fighter beating the hell out of everything and anything sometimes seems more heroic than being a super wizard ninja.

• dE says:

Yeah, classes didn’t click with me either. Everything else was superb and I thought I’d enjoy it more. But somehow I was fighting the classes, not the mobs. But I’m not mad, it’s mods like these that made me play TL1 for over 80 hours.

• 0positivo says:

Want to know how good the class is? I’m pretty enthusiastic about it, I have to admit. Maybe it’s because I just love the concept of a minion-master type of class

You can have at the same time: hordes of zombies, that increase almost exponentially with levels (you start with 3, up to over 10), to swarm the enemies and absorb the blunt of the damage; skeletons hordes, these guys come armed with sword&shield and pack a punch, while also being relatively fast; a mage kind of spectre, that will buff your minions and cast spells; death spores that will launch poison and explode on death; a fury that can do quick work even of the tougher monsters; death dolls which can be spammed and consitute the “expendable” part of your army; an undead dragon that gets progressively bigger and badder; the ability to raise minions from corpses, which will then eat corpses and create even MORE minions and the four skulls of the apocalypse.

That, plus walls of bones, giant spikes, curses, auras and more

I do believe they also exponentially increased the amount of enemies that you face, while I’m absolutely positive that they added more “medium tier” monster, between the normal ones and the champions

The necromancer himself is really squishy, taking just a good two hits (playing on veteran) to go down, but nothing beats the feeling of just standing back, watching your entire personal army wage war on its own mind against the entire dungeon

I also think they added a new weapon? At least I didn’t recall hand crossbows in my first run. Quite fun little weapon, it’s the only pure ranged weapon (not considering shotgonnes and cannons) that can actually pierce and hit multiple targets. Plus, it can be dual wielded

The amount of monsters in general on screen gets pretty ridicolous. I know with two friends of mine, all three of us plus minions plus an absolute bucket ton of enemies, my beefy PC was actually having a bit of an issue with the good old framerate.

And I’m only level 12ish. Can’t wait to see what’s more in store in this mod

• phuzz says:

There are crossbows in vanilla TL2.

• Stromko says:

I’ve only ever seen two-handed crossbows. Meaning if you want to be dual-wield physical damage weapons, vanilla TL2 only has pistols for you (though like everything else there’s an awful lot of visual variations as you go up in levels).

• malkav11 says:

Did you pick up Siphon Life? One point will dramatically up your survivability. To the point that I didn’t start seeing my health go down until around level 11 or 12. I facetanked one of the early dungeon bosses without a scratch. I was thinking it was broken but then I started getting hit a lot harder later and went “okay, this isn’t god mode after all”.

3. Patches the Hyena says:

Amazing. This warrants another jaunt into the pleasant world of Torchlight II for sure.

4. frightlever says:

I have about 20 hours in TL2, around half of that played three player co-op. I liked the original and was very enthusiastic about TL2 after playing the demo but I have zero desire to go back for more. I hated D3 by the end and I played it for around 140 hours. No idea what’s better.

5. Skeletor68 says:

I do love a good Necromancer.

I don’t think I’ve even finished the first Act of T2 yet. I have three engineers and two of everything else! I re-insalled it yesterday so should try and power through!

6. Archipelagos says:

Wowza. That is pretty stunning.

7. Metalhead9806 says:

This game has a near nonexistent online community.
    With just under 6k concurrent users a day (compared to 70k in POE) and no way to communicate with anyone in a global chat the game feels lonely.

Its a single player ARPG or a game you can only play with close friends at best.

For me TL2 lives or dies on mods and we seriously need Steam workshop support now!
    I stopped playing this game after i cleared it twice… there’s no community keeping it alive and im not too keen on seeking out mods when the game was promised to have workshop support.

• ankh says:

Well if you don’t want to seek out mods you are in the right place! You are commenting on an article that is pointing a mod out to you. Also why not chat to people on your phone while playing if you’re feeling lonely? Your criticism seems weak.

• RodHope says:

Did you think you were buying an MMO?

• subedii says:

Personally? I can’t say that global chat would make the game feel less “lonely” to me, global chats in basically any game I’ve played end up spam dumping grounds of random junk. And if you’re not playing with friends, then the situation in an actual game is usually the same in either case.

EDIT: Oh, and IIRC TL2 was numbering around that many simultaneous players when it first launched as well. Which considering it launched around the same time as Borderlands 2, was a pretty freaking good achievement in itself.

• frightlever says:

If they’d had Workshop support and integrated Steam match-making it would have been perfect. Having to sign up for yet another account to play co-op probably didn’t help them at all.

8. slerbal says:

I played the original Torchlight but that seemed to sate my desire for ARPGs forever (or at least this far), but nonetheless: Awesome. I bloody love mods, me :)

Everyone benefits from this (optional) mod: The players get more content, the developer quite probably sells more copies of the game, and the mod makers make some damn fine entertainment using the game of their choice.

It is possible for paid DLC and modding to happily co-exist and there are a few games that have got the balance on paid DLC and modding right: Arma2, Crusader Kings II and now Torchlight 2.

Good stuff.

• hello_mr.Trout says:

It’s always left me baffled as to why more games don’t include mod support/toolsets – it’s a great way to develop an active and engaged community around your game, while also extending the lifespan of said game.

• Correa says:

I think it’s from the view that no one would buy the next game in the series (Publisher view) or no way to milk extra monies from DLC or simply texture packs.

Then you have the dev team that is arrogant about there game that there is nothing wrong or there view/take on it should not be changed for any numerous reasons.

Both fail to notice that giving out mod tools doesn’t just expand the lifespan of said game but also makes for a better community that spreads like wild fire, on word of mouth to others to get the game but, also means you have a loyal group that will most likely get your future titles from showing some love.

But since the money men care not for long lasting revenue but instead of first month sales and what other tacky DLC they can offer you. Getting mod support is like finding gem hidden away at the bottom of some deep hole full of crud.

• malkav11 says:

I’m not saying none of that factors in, but I think it’s also a matter of time and developer resources. Turning highly technical and idiosyncratic internal development tools into polished, end-user friendly modding tools (and supporting them!) takes considerable time, effort, and ultimately money. Even just supporting mods has implications for your game’s data structure, resource model, file formats, and so forth, and even if you refuse to provide technical support for problems caused by buggy mods, you’re still going to eat some support costs on that because people will call anyway. And of course, if you want to control the servers or DRM your game, that will interfere with modding. (I don’t -endorse- proprietary servers or DRM, but obviously that’s a concern for some companies.)

• subedii says:

Reply fail.

9. drewski says:

I sunk around 200 hours into the first Torchlight, but I’ve stopped around the 98 hour mark on T2. Not really sure why, it’s grabbed me fine. I probably just don’t have enough time for it now.

This mod looks pretty spectacular, but I think I’ll wait until I get bored of vanilla before I muck around with mods.

10. derbefrier says:

That’s cool maybe in time with enough mods the game might actually be fun instead of unimaginative and boring. I just really dont understand the praise this series gets. It is just another generic D2 clone with no interesting ideas and boring classes and a bad story. I dunno it surprises me I don’t like this game since it is a solid game. I am a huge fan of arpgs but I guess a straight D2 clone isn’t enough to keep me interested anymore. Maybe that’s why I like PoE so much its deffinately heavily inspired by D2 but unlike the torchlight series that settles for the same old shit we have seen the past decade they actually try New features and mechanics which makes the genre interesting again. Hopefully these guys don’t stick to what’s safe and try some new things for TL3.

11. Baines says:

Torchlight 2 did have stuff missing. It was missing an interesting overworld, a decent physical ranged class, an interesting enchantment system, and plenty of other things. Torchlight 2 was overall overlarge and kind of bland. Ambition led to the game being boring compared to its smaller predecessor.

The Synergies mod tries to fix a lot of that stuff. (I don’t think it can quite fix the physical range class, because Runic broke the underlying system when they made phys range damage Strength based with their ill-conceived and poorly executed attempt to stop phys range characters from being one stat characters. Ill-conceived because they didn’t think through the consequences. Poorly executed, because the other three classes as well as Glaive build Outlanders are all still one stat classes.)

Though I don’t know about the new classes. Player mod classes have traditionally been unbalanced. And Runic has arguably done a fair bit of damage to the base system, with its mix of over-useful and under-useful skills and mechanics choices.

• Shooop says:

Have you never played the outlander?

With the right equipment and skills they can one-shot almost every minor enemy in the game with their pistols.

• Baines says:

I’ve beaten the game on Veteran with a pistol Outlander. It was overall more difficult than the other classes, or a non-physical damage Outlander for that matter.

Runic intentionally nerfed the TL2 physical range class because of how the Vanquisher performed in Torchlight 1, as they felt the Vanquisher was a no-brain one stat build. That comes through in both the Outlander skills (such as the exploding shot being replaced with a poison cloud that only actives on kills, or rapid fire ignoring base weapon range) as well as changing physical ranged weapon damage to be Strength based. Dexterity, despite being the Outlander primary, is now not really a “primary” stat. It contributes to some capped percentages, but you need to focus on either Strength or Focus to do damage.

But while they did this to the physical ranged Outlander, the other three classes as well as the Glaive+Focus Outlander builds all still work as one stat builds. Some are fairly no-brain as well. For example, unless you want to handicap yourself, why would you make an Engineer without Forcefield and Healing Bot?

Thinking about it, Torchlight 2 might really not have a “range based physical damage” class, any more than it has a summoner class. Runic just dumped the physical ranged weapons into the Outlander because they had no where else to put them. The text below is from the Torchlight II web page’s description of the Outlander. It certainly doesn’t sound like a character designed around gun or bow damage:

A good Outlander will tumble through scores of opponents, herding them together for an attack with their deadly throwing glaive. A good rifle or a pistol might be handy in a tussle, but, when the odds are against them, every Outlander knows that whirling blade of razor-sharp death is her best friend in the whole wide world.

The Outlander’s throwing glaive defines her role in combat: Speed, skill, and long-range accuracy—paired with the arcane knowledge to make every attack as lethal as it gets!

• Erithtotl says:

Wow, I hadn’t really followed this game closely, I played with the outlander class and was frustrated at how slow and repetitive the combat was and I’m wondering if it’s because I didn’t understand any of this. I’m pretty sure my strength sucks.

12. kirkbjerk says:

Anyone else see the name of the first dungeon in the video and immediately flashback to stalking around in a shadowblade and backstabbing albions?

13. Commissar Choy says:

I actually found myself bored of TL2 quite quickly. I preferred D3′s limited but interesting skills with runes over TL2′s few interesting skills and tedious %5 damage increases. Loot pretty much meant nothing, with legendary loot dropping within an hour of playing. And most baffling of all is the lack of a complete respec option.

14. aliksy says:

I didn’t think the mod tools were even out. How are they doing this?

• Shooop says:

They’ve made their own apparently.

They already had quite a list of mods before this one appeared, this is the most comprehensive on yet.

• Baines says:

Players have cracked open some of the file formats. They can change some things, but not as much as the long promised official mod tools would allow.

As well, then the official mod tools are released, file formats may change. It sounded like Runic was still fleshing out some details before they went silent about releasing the official mod tools.

15. Shooop says:

Oh great. I haven’t lost enough hours of my life to this game.

16. Nevard says:

What does a raid actually mean in context of this game?
    My MMO Conditioning is telling me “at least 10 players in one dungeon” but I have a feeling that’s not it

17. Foosnark says:

For those bored with TL2, have you tried different builds? I find some rather dull and grindy, and some spectacular.

I’m currently playing an Outlander with wand/pistol and all Focus. Pistol lets you use pistol skills like Chaos Burst, but damage comes from the wand damage without having to invest in any other stats. It’s working beautifully, and it’s excellent at triggering those “5% chance to cast….” enchantments.

So, this is kind of an exciting thing for me.

18. malkav11 says:

Some features that aren’t mentioned above:
    Enemy spawn count is upped dramatically – probably 2x-3x, including additional champion tier enemies in an appropriate ratio – as is loot drop rate.
    It adds something like nine additional inventory pages for both the player and their pet.
    It adds four undead pets (zombie, skeleton, spirit, and dark zealot)
    It adds respec potions, 1200 gold per.
    It adds essentially free portal scrolls to every hub city in every act.
    It adds a “gem storage box”, which has five slots and can have the gems recovered from it for free.
    It adds dozens if not hundreds of additional character and pet appearance customization options.
    Skill unlock levels are dramatically rebalanced, with skills opening up very quickly but with further investment being slower the higher tier the skill is.

19. Hardmood says:

i ve tested necro on elite now and all i can say is: great!

the amount of mobs fits perfect.
    output and incoming damage seems well balanced so far. epic combats with tons of enemies. definitly more fun than on vanilla tl2. dropping rate and content seems to be well balanced too.

Comment on this story