Strike Vector Has Transforming Cowboy Space Planes

By Nathan Grayson on April 10th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Can we start calling these blurshots? It's kinda like a bullshot, only it makes the game look significantly worse.

One of the bigger problems with modern society, I think, is that not enough things transform. I mean, yeah, nature does it – you know, butterflies and flowers and whatever – but there are hardly ever enough guns involved. And then there’s the Transformers franchise, which actually needs to take it a step further by transforming into nothing. So, in recent games, that leaves us with what, Strike Suit Zero? And I guess Dark Souls, if you count becoming, er, a vase. Strike Vector, however, is much more the former than the latter (sorry, transforming cowboy space vase fans), and it’s pushing Unreal Engine 3′s bionic piston hamsters to their oil-sweating limits. Also, the entire thing’s being hammered together by just four people. Marvel at their high-speed handiwork after the break.

That’s all apparently in-game, too, which is quite the achievement. The vibe, meanwhile, strikes me as kind of Hawken-y, but with more of a Western twang. In short, oh my yes.

But how does it actually work? Well, at its core, it’s all about multiplayer aerial combat, but influences range from Crimson Skies (hooray!) to Unreal Tournament (hmmm). Here’s the gist:

“Strike Vector’s unique gameplay allows you to switch between two movement modes: 1) Quick reaction Jet Mode ability which allows you to quickly reach your foes, engage the fight and fast evade if it’s nescessary. 2) Hover Mode offers an experience closer to a classic FPS gameplay with increased precision, ironsight and strafe based evasion moves.”

In spite of the shiny (yet tastefully rusted) coat of paint, the developers also promise a “distinct old-school feel.” I’m not sure exactly what that means, but I’m guessing it’s better than a vaguely old-school feel or a feel that could be old-school if you squinted really hard and the lighting was a bit off.

For now, Strike Vector has no release date, but it looks to be coming along very nicely. It’s multiplayer-only until further notice, but asking any more of a four-person team probably counts as some form of imprisonment. And that, incidentally, is one of the few forms I don’t often like to see things take.

__________________

« | »

1. LionsPhil says:

I think “distinct old-school feel” means “we can’t remember the ’90s, but hope you can’t either, but will throw money at us for not being Call of Battlefield”.

Or maybe I’m just still bitter about everyone calling Hard Reset “old-school” when the protagonist was about as nimble as a fat bloke in a mobility scooter.

• CobraLad says:

Well, Hard Reset does evoke feeling of a 2000-2003 generic space corridor shooter, which is old school for some people, I guess.

• solidsquid says:

I’m still waiting for someone to announce an oldschool generic shooter which doesn’t let your view move vertically, relying instead on auto aim, and doesn’t let you use mouse control or sidestep

• fish99 says:

Doom let you sidestep and mouse aim (just not vertically).

• jaantahir says:

If you think Anthony`s story is something…, four weeks ago my uncles best friend basically brought home $6266 grafting a sixteen hour week at home and there neighbor’s sister-in-law`s neighbour did this for 4 months and recieved a check for over $6266 part-time On there laptop. applie the tips from this web-site…. http://bic5.com/

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Old School to me means ‘It’s my game, not a twat basket directed experience of many graphics’

Back in the day your average gamer had a brain and people qwerty’d all ower gamepads, from a hight mind!! HOLY NESSSSSSSSSS!!!

2. distantlurker says:

Shiny ISWYDT

3. Surlywombat says:

Looks nice, but I’ve brought far to many multi player shooters that just fade away due to lack of players. There are some fantastic games out there that people just don’t play anymore.

• pupsikaso says:

Name a few and I’ll show you a sufficiently big enough community to play every night for each one.

• Postal76 says:

Giants: Citizen Kabuto

• mseifullah says:

* Lead & Gold
        * Shattered Horizon
        * The Haunted: Hell’s Reach

What can you do for me?

There are also a couple games I bought that literally had no one else playing by the time I got around to installing them.

* Bloody Good Time
        * Plain Sight

• Derppy says:

Also Red Faction: Guerrilla. Ridiculously fun multiplayer, but within months from release it was dead, mostly thanks to the abysmal GFWL matchmaking with no option to host proper servers.

Haven’t been able to find any GTA IV multiplayer games on PC either. Managed to find some GTA Race lobbies on PS3, but the performance is so terrible I’d rather play on PC.

• LionsPhil says:

The leading alternative seems to be Free2Play, though, and that’s not without its huge, horrid, gaping pitfalls.

(I’d say AirMech avoids them all pretty well, though, so it’s not impossible. As such it’s one I actually threw money at.)

4. rustybroomhandle says:

Anyone remember the old XBox later PC game Yager? Also had flight and hover modes and I rather liked the game in general.

• PatrickSwayze says:

Yager was on PC??

I only just remembered this game. Seem to remember it been okay. Nothing amazing nothing terrible.

• Jekhar says:

You beat me to it. I was also thinking of Yager upon seeing the two flight modes. I played it back then on the toybox, was quite nice. Still didn’t finish it though, the later levels were getting increasingly obnoxious with time limits and friendly crafts to defend. Someday i will get back to it and see how i fare now.

5. pupsikaso says:

Can’t find anywhere to subscribe on their website to either a mailing list or an RSS.

6. Spoon Of Doom says:

This does look pretty nice, especially considering that it’s coming from a team of only four developers. That said, I’m not a fan of multiplayer-only games except a game every once in a while with a couple of friends, so I think I’ll pass this one if there’s no singleplayer.

7. The_Great_Skratsby says:

Sounds a bit like Warhawk / Starhawk. Looks damn cool too, it’s nice to see something that reminds me of Crimson Skies – which still holds up tremendously well.

• crinkles esq. says:

Yes, I got a very Warhawk vibe as well, with the hover/flight modes. Although the ship designs look vaguely Cowboy Bebop inspired. Maybe this is where Nathan is getting the cowboy western theme from, because the setting seems more Wipeout than Wyatt Earp.

That music made my ears sad.

8. SominiTheCommenter says:

I though this was inspired on Pod Racing. I want to be Sebulba and knock that annoying kid off the track.

9. Chizu says:

“And then there’s the Transformers franchise, which actually needs to take it a step further by transforming into nothing.”

I’m sorry, what?
    Are you suggesting Transformers should just vanish? After the rather enjoyable WfC and FoC?
    Shame on you.

Your blasphemy aside, This looks like it might be right up my alley.

• Prime says:

No blasphemy. Truth.

Enjoyable up to a certain point, yes. But are WfC and FoC good games? Leaden vehicle and robot modes. Cramped corridors. Uninspirational shooting. Tedious melee….the Transformers franchise deserves better than these spectacle-heavy, gameplay light efforts.

• Chizu says:

He did say FRANCHISE as in the entire thing. Enjoy finding another avatar and username.

And for what its worth, I thoroughly enjoyed FoC, it has its shortcomings sure, but in no way is it a bad game deserving of eradication from existence.

10. PatrickSwayze says:

Nice sensation of speed to it all and range, which hardly any games seem to have these days.

11. Keyrock says:

That trailer has a distinct lack of Wub Wub. Don’t they know the Trailer Gods DEMAND Dub-Step?

12. solidsquid says:

This actually looks interesting, kind of reminds me of HiOctane

13. SouperSteve0 says:

Oh…the music.

• squareking says:

It was okay to start out with, and then that. I thought it’d at least veer into Dream Theater territory and rip my face off with a ridiculous solo, but nah — all early 2000s chug chug squee. Oh well!

The game itself looks like something I may someday love, or it’ll fall by the wayside like Hawken. (basically what I’m saying is I DON’T HAVE ENOUGH TIME STOP IT GUYS)

14. TheMrSolaris says:

Air Hawken?

15. Mudlab says:

The screenshot reminded me of Red Planet from the old Virtual World days…then the video was completely different. Looking forward to it either way.

• Archangel says:

Please $deity please someone either port Red Planet to PC or make a spiritual sequel. I have fond memories of going to Virtual World preparing to enjoy BattleTech, but instead being blown away by the (IMHO) much superior Red Planet. It was long ago and I’m sure it’s not as good as I remember, but wow wow wow. Of all of the games out there featuring a Weird Al Yankovic cameo, it is far and away my favorite.

• RakeShark says:

Was about to say, the Red Planet vibe got me to look. Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like a racy game.

16. Rian Snuff says:

Loving the soundtrack man.. And this seems like a refreshing change up from the usual these days.
    Can’t wait to give it a try.

17. mondomau says:

Why in the name of holy shit would you have such an awesome concept and then NOT have the hover mode a giant robot?! From what I can see, the ‘jets’ just rotate their thrusters. Huuuuuge mistake.

18. voorsk says:

so.. kinda like a multiplayer Zone of the Enders, where everyone is piloting variants of the Vic Viper? Sold!

edit: wait; what? They don’t transform into robots? Unsold!

19. SuicideKing says:

I LIKES IT. WANT TO PLAY. LOOKS FUN.