Hell’s Spells: Magicka – Wizard Wars Alpha Signups

By Adam Smith on July 18th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

I killed all of my friends when playing Magicka. Sometimes I even did it on purpose. Fingers dancing across keys to program arcane combinations into a staff, which then unleashes…something. Maybe a flaming boulder that is determined to explode, perhaps a jet of steam that sears the skin off any sorcerers in its path. If Magicka were a fighting game, slipping up slightly mid-combo would cause your character to chew his own leg off or punch himself in the face so hard that both fist and face were reduced to powder. Wizard Wars is a PvP Magicka game. You will be reduced to powder, ashes and fragments. Jim is already a believer and I’m ready to join him. Alpha signups are now open and you can see the game in action below.

Friendly fire is in. As are friendly ice, friendly boulders and friendly death rays. You can sign up here.

The game is under development at Paradox North, which is a new internal studio. They’re based in the same building as the Paradox Development Studio but on the next floor up, which is one kind of North.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Boozebeard says:

Always loved the idea of PvP in magicka but always figured it would just be ruined by people macroing spells…

• aliksy says:

People do that? Wow. For me that would be missing the point of the game. It’d be like playing a shooter with autoaim, or a racing game with autopilot.

• Mo6eB says:

Well, there’s just a couple of combinations that work really really well. I was always partial to the water-lightning beam. Normally you can’t mix water and lightning, but if you go fire-water(i.e. steam)-arcane-lightning-lightning-ice, the last element cancels out the fire and the game lets you cast a beam that both makes your enemies wet and zaps them. After a while keying in all the different combinations starts giving you RSI.

Just don’t cross the beams.

• Sian says:

Er… Is that more powerful than the steam beam? Because as far as I can tell, that has been nerfed.
          Edit: Arcane-steam-lightning beam, not just steam. _._

Anyway, typing in the combinations really isn’t that hard and while using macros in single player or co-op is fine (if all players agree), in PvP it’s just cheating.

• aliksy says:

Well, yes, some of the spell combinations are very effective (qfasa), but by macroing them you’re cutting out the “i panicked and did the wrong combination, now everyone’s dead but it was kind of funny” part. That’s a lot of comedy gold right there.

• Hytleder says:

I quit working at shoprite to work online and with a little effort I easily bring in around $45 to 85 per/h. Without a doubt, this is the easiest and most financially rewarding job I’ve ever had. I actually started 6 months ago and this has totally changed my life. Here’s what I do, http://Going1.com

2. Hunchback says:

This might just be a magical substitution to DOTA, that doesn’t suck!

3. lowprices says:

Magicka was one of the greatest fuckup generators in gaming. While I spent ages killing the people I was playing with, I can’t help but feel it’ll be less fun when I’m supposed to do it.

• Tiax says:

You’re still supposed *not* to kill your teammates, hence the emphasis on friendly fire.

• lowprices says:

I know. I’m just put off by the idea of a Magicka game where I’m supposed to kill *any* players intentionally. Maybe I was just rubbish at it, but in the heat of battle the spell I meant to cast and the spell I did cast were almost never the same, and those panicky mistakes were my favourite part of the game. Although a pvp version would presumably have that more times over…

Huh. I think I just talked myself into wanting this game.

• Reapy says:

I think it will depend on how they make the game. I had a stab at trying to design a similar game in my head for a bit because it seems weird to me there isn’t a game like this as the “wizard duel” is such an obvious place to do a really cool game where your knowledge and reaction abilities were put to use.

I think if they have a more balance spell line up to encourage different play styles, and appropriate defense/counter spelling so you can essentially watch people wind up their spell combos and react as they add elements it would be a pretty cool game.

Lots of potentially to fuck it all up though, but I am still excited to see this one working well.

4. Baines says:

Will this game actually be playable on a decent system?

That was the sticking point for Magicka, relatively insane system requirements (for the type of game that it is) that kept creeping upward over time, combined with bugs, an intentional decision to ignore integrated graphics chips, and an intentional decision to focus on adding more DLC over fixing issues and improving existing code.

I can’t even play Magicka anymore. I could play it at one time, but somewhere along the line (and after more DLC) launching the game cripples my entire system with 4-5 seconds of lag just sitting at the main menu.

• Enikuo says:

I was never able to get it to play properly, despite my old computer meeting the revised requirements you mentioned and despite buying an entirely new, and quite nice, computer. Makes me grumpy.

5. rapchee says:

why does everyone talk like this was something new, like it’s not possible to do pvp battles in magicka? it’s possible and quite fun. also, quite hard, like most online games with a small, dedicated fanbase

6. BjornB says:

Hi guys!

FYI: This game is developed by a new studio (Paradox North) on a new engine, so the bugs you may have been experienced with the original Magicka game should not transfer to this title.

Magicka: Wizard Wars is a free to play PvP game based on the Magicka universe and mechanics. You are welcome to visit our forums (forum.paradoxplaza.com) to learn more and hear from the developers themselves.

Hope to see you in-game!

• MellowKrogoth says:

Allowing several players to play from a single computer with decent gamepad controls would be nice. I always wanted to do that with the first Magicka, but the gamepad controls sucked and were not customizable enough to make them work.

• Baines says:

Now, can someone put the original Magicka on a new engine, so it actually becomes playable? And doesn’t wreck computers while sitting on the main menu?

Comment on this story