Oh Glorious Day – Typing Of The Dead: Overkill Is A Thing

By Nathan Grayson on October 30th, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

I kind of wanted to just begin this post by writing the word “fuck” 189 times and then linking to that one clip everyone’s seen from The Wire. I’m sort of disappointed that I didn’t, to be honest. But then I would’ve only conveyed why Typing of the Dead: Overkill (basically the raucously risque Wii gem House of the Dead: Overkill, but with typing) is an attention-grabber – and not why it’s really, really special. In short, the original was a dumb smart game, or a smart dumb game, or a brilliant parody in decrepit light-gun shooter’s clothing. I can’t wait to sink my candy-corn-encrusted fangs into the surprise release PC version, because Overkill’s first incarnation may well be among the most surprising games I’ve ever played. Or at least the most gleefully absurd.

That’s just one of many excellent cut-scenes, the majority of which are extremely self-referential, grindhouse-y-as-all-get-out, and gruesome to the point of (intentional) comedy. This version’s based on the PS3 update, too, which means better graphics, more scenes, and – almost undoubtedly – more gratuitous swearing. Also, the Steam edition includes both an all-new typing mode and the original shooty-shooty bang-bang oh-fuck-reload-reload-reload-reload approach. Pick your poison.

Typing of the Dead: Overkill is – believe it or not, given the total lack of any sort of announcement or pre-release fanfare – out right now, and it’s temporarily going for just $9.99. It’s not the longest game, but at that price, it’s well worth getting your fingers messy over. I heartily recommend it and will type at you until you die if you refuse.

And yes, he really does say “fuck” that many times.

, , .

Top comments

amateurviking says:

This Is The Best News ™.

2. Jupiah says:

“Can I have a lollipop?” I lost it. That youtube video is hilarious.

1. FurryLippedSquid says:

When I heard about this I got my hands on a copy of the first game. I thought I was all right at typing. Turns out I suck.

2. MrNash says:

Still mighty tempted to grab this after seeing it magically appear on Steam. I gotta have those weird, random word combinations. “Recalcitrant Buttocks?” Yes, please! =D

amateurviking says:

This Is The Best News ™.

Lambchops says:

I loved House of the Dead Overkill, many a fun drunken mess around on the Wii. A Typing edition sounds amazing.

DrScuttles says:

Having spent a full 3 seconds thinking about it, I’ve come to the conclusion that typing at your foes should be incorporated as a valid control option for every game.

• Bull0 says:

I type at the enemy in all my games!

WWWWWWAASSDD

R

WWWWWWWWWAASS E WWWWWWWWWW

R
      ctrl+space (i’m crouch jumping into a chest-high tunnel in half-life 1)

etc

5. Moraven says:

Had Typing of the Dead on Dreamcast… glorious gaming.

Never got any on the Wii, may just get this.

Don Reba says:

That image reminds me of a book description I’ve read recently (bragging about reading book descriptions, now):

“The “Laundry” is Britain’s super-secret agency devoted to protecting the realm from the supernatural horrors that menace it. Now Bob Howard, Laundry agent, must travel to the quiet English countryside to deal with an outbreak of one of the worst horrors imaginable. For, as it turns out, unicorns are real. They’re also ravenous killers from beyond spacetime…”

phuzz says:

If you’re new to the Laundry series then Equiod isn’t the book/novella to be starting with. Start with “The Atrocity Archives” and go from there, you won’t be disappointed, and it’ll make slightly more sense.

• HybridHalo says:

Yeah, Atrocity Archives is bloody fantastic. The others are all pretty good, too.

• Ace Rimmer says:

I’ve only read Equoid (freely available from an intertube near you) and thought it did make sort of sense on its own, though it did make me want to look up the others for a bit of context.

Don Reba says:

I’m not even sure I want it to make sense. That description is brilliant just the way it is: “unicorn are real, except they are ravenous killers from beyond spacetime.” Futurama did the same thing: “Santa Claus is real, except he is a psychotic robot murderer from Uranus.” Really makes one question, whether magic creatures should not stay the hell out of our reality. “Guess what, magic ponies are real, except…”

7. HunterKing says:

As somebody who spent WAY too much time playing the first Typing of the Dead, I can’t say this makes it obsolete. It doesn’t have the goofy modifications of the first game like the dreamcast backpacks and toy hammers… in fact it doesn’t seem to add all that much to Overkill other than using a keyboard rather than a gun. It especially shows in the boss fights which have none of the creativity of the original. And I’d take the genuine camp of House of the Dead 2 over the try-too-hard grindhouse thing going on in Overkill but I still love typing “I got 9 kids ta feed” to kill a stripper zombie, so this is still a very happy day.

• Baines says:

Does it at least have the word insanity of the original Typing of the Dead? Or is it a more straightforward word list this time?

8. Jupiah says:

“Can I have a lollipop?” I lost it. That youtube video is hilarious.

9. Spoon Of Doom says:

I have very fond memories of the old one. I would so throw my money at this, but unfortunately, I live in a stupid country so it isn’t available here.

Lambchops says:

So many ridiculous quotes:

Loved it.

11. trjp says:

For people who must buy this – and THAT MEANS YOU – cheapest place is GreenManGaming, use their current discount code (20% – shown on almost every page of the website) and it’s £6 (or the equivalent in Muricanbucks or GermansExploitingYouDollars)

• trjp says:

Same deal on Gamefly if you prefer that – both 20% cheaper than Steam

• Wahngrok says:

If you want to purchase it in germany you have to to that at Gamefly. Steam and GMG won’t sell it to you because of… things. Probably.

12. GamesInquirer says:

Is this well designed like the first Typing of the Dead or just a dodgy retrofit (of an already slightly dodgy game, it wasn’t nearly as good as HoTD 2 & 3, but anyway)? How does the original mode play, are there even lightguns that work with PCs (don’t tell me to use a Wiimote, what matters is how the game treats the device, if it’s just expecting a mouse cursor then it’s not going to be as proper as playing the game on Wii using a gunshell, calibrating it properly and turning off the crosshair display)?

• HunterKing says:

Dodgy retrofit :(

All weapons are still weapons, from the two boss battles I played they were pretty straight typing, nothing like the Typing of the Dead boss where you have to type the answer to a question. Still fun but they clearly didn’t put a lot of effort into it.

• GamesInquirer says:

Yeah, that’s what I thought, they probably thought of doing this a month before the holiday, maybe they didn’t even get to play the original for inspiration. How awesome would it be if SEGA got the original developers to HDfy the original typing of the dead and do typing versions of HoTD 1 & 3 on top?

13. PsychoWedge says:

I never buy games for full price on steam but I would buy this. I fucking loved Typing of the Dead back in the day, even though it only provided English words and I hadn’t heard of half of them ever in my life before nor did I have any clue whatsoever they could possibly mean.

Regrettably I can’t buy this because Steam throws a “This item is currently unavailable in your region” in my face and laughs mockingly at my wallet…

14. Dagizmo says:

You can get it more cheap at greenmangaming, at 8 bucks

strangeloup says:

Whichever pun-genius at Sega came up with “IT’S TIME TO SPELL SOME GUTS” as a promotional tagline for this deserves a medal.

16. epmode says:

This game, just like Deadly Premonition, has a locked internal resolution. 720p. It’s not as obvious as Deadly Premonition, seeing as how the game does its best look like a grindhouse film but it’s still there.

• Dagizmo says:

Still Works pretty good

• epmode says:

It looks legitimately terrible on a really high resolution monitor but at least it plays fine. Unlike Deadly Premonition.

Carra says:

Always wanted to play the original Typing of Dead but never got around to it. Now is the time! *Cracks fingers*

18. DestructibleEnvironments says:

I got it at 20% off on greenmangaming, using one of those vouchers on the main page. Lucky me! You could be lucky too. Oh and it gives you a key to redeem on steam.

19. johnbolive says:

my best friend’s sister makes $65 an hour on the internet. She has been without work for five months but last month her pay was $20126 just working on the internet for a few hours. check out here READ MORE

20. Jekhar says:

Sadly, this doesn’t seem to be available in germany. I wonder if this is just temporarily, or if this game is just too violent for us poor sissys.

samsharp99 says:

This makes me so happy. I played a bit of the original Typing of the Dead and I kind of assumed that this was an upgraded version of that for Steam. The fact it turns out to be a seperate game/story makes me very happy indeed. It was an instant buy (and the only thing I wanted to buy) from the Halloween sale!

22. Shadrach says:

Only *partial* controller support? That’s a no-sale for me.

Oh, and one of the screenshots says “Ample Buxom”.

jrodman says:

For some reason when I played the original, I loved the concept but tired of the reality quite quickly.

Yes I can type quickly and accurately, but words popping up in no conceptual sequence was just kind of mentally taxing. It might make me a better secretary, but it didn’t make for a fun experience, for me.