Freeware Gardener’s Question Time: 21/08

By Graham Smith on August 22nd, 2014 at 8:00 pm.

In a comment on one of the recent Freeware Garden posts, a reader lamented that its early morning posting slot – 11am, BST – meant that by the time they’d been able to play any given game, the post had been flushed down the RPS front page and any conversation in its comments had come to an end. Why not, then, set up a weekly slot on Friday evenings where people could convene, pick through the week’s selections, and have a proper chat about their thoughts?

Then I thought of the title and so it had to happen. Welcome.

This week saw the selection of five fine freeware games, as always.

MondaySpace Goblin In A Land Of Jello
A Zelda-esque arcade adventure about saving the world in ten minutes.

TuesdayAmericano
A Twine game about a robot’s love for a human in a hipster dsytopia.

WednesdayComedy Quest
A traditional, Sierra-style point-and-click adventure about a stand-up comedian.

ThursdayGlitch Dungeon
A 2D puzzle platformer with ‘glitches’ a deliberate part of its design aesthetic.

FridayRemnants Of A Beautiful Day
A first-person narrative walkalong, which is more traditionally game-like than you’d first expect.

If you’ve played the games and have some thoughts, talk away in the comments below. If you haven’t played anything yet, this post should linger somewhere near the top of the site for the rest of the weekend, so take your time.

o/

, , , , , , .

1. Premium User Badge yhancik says:

I’ll just say that I’m glad this column exists, it made me discover some nice gems that I mostly haven’t had time to try yet :p but I’m looking forward. Keep up the good work!

Also http://youtu.be/JX2ziMnm2tw?t=11s

2. rexx.sabotage says:

yeah, I am grateful for great greek and his(?) gleaming gems of gaming generosity.

Although the column would be better suited for saturdays no? to provide an opportunity to digest friday’s offerings and fill the general dearth of internet content that is the weekend. or is that space still sacred?

3. twaitsfan says:

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. It was an age permadeath, it was the age of naratives. It was the epoch of Unity, it was the epoch of Oculus. It was the season of bundles, it was the season of full priced retreads. It was the spring of Kickstarter, it was the winter of EA. We had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Virtual Reality, we were all going direct to pixel art – in short, the period was so unlike any past one, that some of its noisiest reviewers insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

Nah, screw it. It’s the best of times.

4. caff says:

It was me that moaned about the time the column came out. Sorry.

The games that have been featured so far have been great. Keep up the good work Konstantinos.

5. Premium User Badge Rizlar says:

Americano was great. The way that nothing you pick will ever make you fit in, make this douchebag like you. But I ended up as a robo-greaser who spoke like Humphrey Bogart, which is way better.

The use of hyperlinks as descriptive ephemera from the real world wasn’t something I had really seen before. Worked well, though not essential to the story!

• oyog says:

I ended up as a ridiculously coiffed robot who smelled like bacon and could only attempt to communicate through the cooing of doves.

I was so hot.

6. Premium User Badge Bluerps says:

I think its great that the daily posts get collected like this, since I play the games mostly on friday and saturday anyway.

Glitch Dungeon and Space Goblin In A Land Of Jello are both really cute little games. I kind of expected that the timer in Space Goblin stops when you begin to fight the boss (I thought, it couldn’t eat the planet while its still fighting you) and was a bit irritated when it didn’t.

Is it actually possible to flee from the chomping creature in Remnants Of A Beautiful Day? I reached a point where it seemed like I couldn’t go any further, and then I got eaten.

7. Premium User Badge Lexx87 says:

Well – I think being a Punk Pidgeon Speaking Android followed by getting eaten by the Moon on a rainy Bank Holiday is rather spiffing.

Comment on this story