New Name, New Trailer For Wasteland 2 Director’s Cut

A ‘Game of the Year Edition’ is, of course, the base game plus its DLC/expansions, released to put everything in one convenient bundle for newcomers and to boast that at least one person, somewhere thinks your game is amazing. That’s not what Wasteland 2‘s [official site] GoTY Edition was going to be, so wisely they’ve changed the name.

A new trailer shows off a little of what’s now called Wasteland 2 Director’s Cut, with its new engine and whatnot.

The Director’s Cut is a big ole update for the crowdfunded RPG, bringing the game to Unity 5 for fancier graphical whizzbangs like physically-based rendering, along with updated environment textures, and redone character models. You can chuck on top of that new character perks and quirks, reworked balance and combat encounters, a redesigned UI, controller support, and over 8,000 new voiced lines of dialogue. That’s not bad, that.

It’s being done partially to gussy the game up for its console debut, but all the Director’s Cut newness will come to PC as a free update this summer.

Here, check out this trailer showing off the prettier graphics, a selection of menus, and murder, murder, murder!

1. Distec says:

Well, I guess I’ll have reason to take another crack at this game soon enough. I didn’t really get far at all on my initial run, despite really wanting to like the game. There’s nothing really wrong or broken about the game itself. But for some reason I could not invest into the world at all, and I don’t quite know the reason why.

• BloatedGuppy says:

Eh. It was plenty broken. The RPG/Character Advancement mechanics were utterly borked, the combat was shallow, there were reams of dialogue but very little of it was of any real quality, and the engine felt shabby.

I backed the game. Hell I bought the original Wasteland when it was new. I LOVE post-apocalyptic games, and I’m extra forgiving of isometric RPGs that call back to the Planescape/Fallout/Baldur’s Gate golden era. Wasteland 2 was just…kind of crap.

• Distec says:

Welp, maybe it was. :)

Was just trying to give it a fair shake since I didn’t get far enough to notice anything really broken. But you are dead-on about the writing. Just so effin’ much of it with so little of value or character. I don’t mind text-heavy games, but it needs to have stuff worth reading.

I don’t think it’s nostalgia that has me reading every line in the original Fallouts whilst skipping over every conversation in Wasteland 2.

• UncleLou says:

I liked it a lot – bought it quite some time after launch when I guess it was more polished, but I find the writing very witty and enjoyable and the combat simple, but fun. I just hate the camera (whould have been fixed), but otherwise, I can’t wait to play it again.

On the other hand, I have abandoned Pillars of Eternity after a few hours, a game I thought I’d like a lot more than W2. :-(

• dungeoncrawl says:

I’m in the exact opposite boat. I LOVED the game and played it pretty much non-stop when it came out….and that’s after Beta testing and playing the heck out of it multiple times as the Save games weren’t backward compatible. For me it just oozed atmosphere. All the dialogue just added to it for me. Great story. The ONLY thing that ever bothered me at all was the terrible character graphics in the stat menu. Wow those were bad. I’m dying for an expansion pack.

• MadMinstrel says:

The randomized loot and hollow party members was what killed the game for me.

In the original fallout games most of the loot made sense. Inside a vault, you expected to find stuff that belonged in a vault, and you did. On a farm, you expected to find farm-stuff, and you did. In wasteland 2 it’s just completely random. There’s no point going anywhere to find anything, whatever you’re looking for probably won’t be there. On the other hand you can just find a random chest and keep reloading the game, and you’ll eventually get what you want.

And the party members…. eh…. don’t get me started on that. They just don’t have any personality whatsoever. You’d think Mass Effect’s Shepard was about as boring as a character can get, but no. Wastelands proves it wrong. It’s just impossible to roleplay anything at all with characters like that. The additional party members you picked up in your travels were more interesing, but why aren’t all your party members like that?

• Flea says:

If I remember correctly, once you got to California there were some seriously broken quests. I came across a couple of them, but it didn’t stop me from finishing the game. Would I come back and play it all over again? I don’t know, probably not. Judging from this trailer, the game doesn’t look much better than it did before and graphics didn’t matter that much to me anyway.

• sear says:

As of patch 6 most/all of those quest bugs should be cleaned up – but the Director’s Cut will also include hundreds of minor bug fixes that we couldn’t fit into the rest of our patches for the original vanilla game.

• Jane Doe says:

The combat was completly broken, since you need nothing but Assault Rifles with sniper precision/range. Leave zone and come back to restock traders with ammo. Shotguns were especially useless, same as machine guns. No formations ment total chaos at the start of combat.

Skills were equally broken. Half the skills like disable alarms were useless, as were half the attributes like Charisma and Strength. High intelligence beats everything. Even the famous Toaster Repair yielded nothing but crap.

And thats just the mechanics which are a joke for any serious RPG. Its like the devs put in whatever came to their heads during their brainstorming sessions, but had no idea how to make it work.

• sear says:

We’ve gone and completely rebalanced the combat encounters throughout the entire game, and have done a complete balance pass on weapons and armor. Generally speaking things like assault rifle dominance should no longer be an issue.

• Gerblyn says:

May I ask if anything has been done with Melee combat? I found that Melee felt quite weak due to relatively low damage, and the fact that units with ranged attacks could simply step away and unload into melee attackers with no penalty.

• KevinLew says:

I can name at least three things that are completely bad about Wasteland 2.

1) Instead of “armor = damage reduction/miss chance” that every game has used since forever, the game used a bizarre ratio between your Armor Level vs. a weapon’s Armor Penetration value to calculate damage. At the end game, it was literally better to not wear any armor at all, because you could receive more damage from wearing armor than none at all.
      2) You had absolutely no idea how much damage your energy weapons ever did, because they used a completely bizarre “Armor Threshold” mechanic, and you had to multiply the weapon damage with “damage modifiers” that ranged from 0.9 to 2.2. When weapon damage becomes a freaking math problem, then you have created a really stupid system.
      3) You can’t move your party in a formation, so every time combat starts unexpectedly, they are all just clustered together like idiots, but of course the enemies are always scattered. Even worse, if enemies initiated combat, they automatically get a free move (“surprise round” in D&D parlance) and they automatically get into cover. It’s really irritating to have to plan out every combat round by moving *every* team member manually every single time.

• manny says:

RPG players are like crack addicts they don’t care what you cut their drugs with, they want it. But to bring in new players you need a good game, not just a good rpg. So stupid of them to make an 80 hour if not longer game, when they give us unpolished mediocrity. Why not just make a 30 hour game, that far superior? They can always expand it with dlc or expansions. But no, the rpg crack addicts must have their fix.

2. Jaevel says:

What a time to be alive!

I am actually kind of happy that I haven’t gotten around to play Wasteland 2 yet because of various reasons, mostly lack of time. I guess I am in for a treat!

3. Senethro says:

Eh, the game was alright I guess. Definitely wasn’t a Pillars of Eternity. Combat was really bad and boring.

• montorsi says:

You say it wasn’t Pillars of Eternity then proceed to say the combat was boring boring boring. So which is it?

• PancakeWizard says:

I actually find the combat in both just fine. PoE probably more so, but that’s because I prefer real-time w/ pause to turn-based.

• Cinek says:

Sorry, but PoE combat is miles, miles ahead of Wasteland 2. It’s not amazingly great, but it is good, gives you tons of different, varied opponents, plays vastly differently depends on your team composition, it got these dynamics that W2 is missing, and unless you happen to exploit mechanics it can provide some really fun challenge in a key fights. I really enjoyed it, found PoE combat to be one of the best in RPGs released during last 5 years or so. Sure, not the best one, but near the top.

• UncleLou says:

I thought the combat in PoE is a fiddly mess. W2 was simpler, of course, but at least it works. With the absolute braindead AI/pathfinding in PoE, I lost patience quickly.

• Assirra says:

One is real time while the other is turn based.
        Some people find turn based boring.
        They are not even close to the same combat system.

• tomimt says:

On the other hand I played Wasteland 2 through without big pains, despite a bit fluctuation in the content. With PoE I got bored after the second chapter and haven’t bothered to play it since.

• anHorse says:

PoE’s combat is the apex of patience testing wank

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Have we gotten any word yet as to whether old save files are compatible with this newer version?

5. king0zymandias says:

I wish the game had better art, just a little better and it wouldn’t be so much of an eyesore. Really difficult to play.

• Detocroix says:

That’s what you get when you raise near 3 million dollars on Kickstarter and spend almost a zero on art.

6. PancakeWizard says:

It’s a good name change. From what I can find, they were only ‘GOTY’ From PCWorld and on a list from shacknews. Director’s Cut is classier and less like marketing spin.

• Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

Except, of course, “Director’s Cut” implies that the original release suffered from meddling by the “studio” (or, publisher, in games?), and this version is, finally, what the author intended. Which would be a weird thing to say about a crowdfunded product.
      Words don’t have meanings anymore.

7. Xzi says:

Guess I picked this up at the right time then (during the summer Steam sale). I’m still more excited to replay D:OS with the release of its enhanced edition, but it’s nice that I’ll be able to play Wasteland 2 for the first time in its most complete form.

8. Jenks says:

Gamepad controls! /swoon

9. Hanban says:

I’ll preface this by saying that I love the game. Having said that, I really wish that the game had better animations. I generally find that good animations can make up for mediocre art.

10. Wonderboy2402 says:

Yea, I progressed pretty far probably like 75% of the game but just got tired of it.

Maybe the promised improved features with deeper character development will warrant another play through now…

11. Gibs says:

Well now I’m glad I didn’t finish the game yet… the part I’ve played was good and I got into it eventho the game had some evident shortcomings.

I’m a great BG1 fun like pretty much everyone who played it back then, but PoE didn’t grab my interest even with all its bells and whistles. I admit I only played it a few hours, probably not enough to get into the story. Will try again once I’ve done playing some of my steam backlog I guess… ;D

12. abomb76 says:

Honestly I don’t see any improvements in the graphics in this trailer. Not that one really plays these types of games for the graphics anyway…but like others have mentioned I eventually tired of this game and never finished despite being a Kickstarter backer and really wanting to like it. It just got boring after awhile.

Maybe one day I’ll come back to it and try to finish but in the meantime I’ve got a backlist of games as long as my arm waiting for me.

Glad the Director’s Cut is a free upgrade – crasser publishers would charge for the new version.

13. Kentauroi says:

Glad to hear it, Wasteland 2 and D:OS were some of my favorite games of last year, though I never finished D:OS since I lost my save around 75% of the way through. This’ll give me a reason to replay them while waiting for the PoE expansion.

14. Nick says:

hopefully I won’t feel compelled to turn the difficulty down to lowest for the last third of the game this time, the amount of extremely boring combat with tedious robots made my eyes bleed, I just wanted it to end faster.

teije says:

I tried very hard to get into this but couldn’t somehow. Combat was too sloggy and the the visual tone too muted for me. So I’ll try again once this is out. No complaints really, since WL2 was free since I backed Torment.

16. Rufust Firefly says:

Looking forward to the Director’s Cut. Sorta lost interest in the game somewhere in the railyard the only time I tried playing the release version, only played around a little with the early backer releases.