Heretics! Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Shows Off Chaos

There is something pleasing about watching a mile-long spacecathedral circling in broadside combat with a mile-long, meat-covered spacecathedral dedicated to ruinous powers. Something to do with pretty space backgrounds, nice giant spacecathedrals, colourful zapbeams, and the very idea of heavily-armed shards of meat, bone, and teeth. I’m less sure about the ship with a big silly red demon heads on top, though. Maybe that’s what Red Nose Day will look like in 38 thousands years.

Oh, obviously I’m talking about Warhammer 40k. More specifically, it’s a trailer showing the Chaos fleet in Battlefleet Gothic: Armada [official site]. It has meat and colours!

Chaos ships are fast and can fight at long ranges, which is handy because compared to the Imperial Navy they’re squishier (sometimes literally, if you follow the right Chaos god). The game has a fine-looking lineup. Chaos ships are over-the-top evil, Ork vessels are over-the-top scrappy, the Imperial Navy are mega-ornate, and the Eldar are… hm, I suppose Eldar will be the next force getting a showing-off.

Battlefleet Gothic: Armada is due to launch in March. Adam played an early version a good year ago, and quite liked what he saw then. Do have a read of that. He can tell you about the game, whereas I’m clearly just distracted by teeth on a murdership. (But what does it eat! Does it have a bum too?)

From this site

1. int says:

Do you think the Chaos fleet ate the Squats fleet?

2. Simbosan says:

I’m too old and lazy for rts games but that looks mighty fine

3. NetharSpinos says:

I never played Battlefleet Gothic tabletop-wise, is this how Chaos is reflected in that? As far as 40k normally goes Chaos are less “squishy & long range” and more “like Space Marines but with extra cheese”. One would normally look to the Eldar for squishiness, though the long range aspect is debatable.

• Volcanu says:

It’s more or less accurate yeah.

Chaos ships were faster than Imperial ships, and more fragile, but can really dish out the firepower. Less torpedo-y if I recall too…

4. Bweahns says:

I loved the tabletop game. That was back in the olden days when Games Workshop would release games that might not guarantee some huge return on investment.

• Asurmen says:

Well, they’re all coming back. Might not be soon and the rules might not precisely the same, but all those old games are on their way.

5. PancakeWizard says:

Looking forward to this. Hopefully it leads to a resurrection of Man O’ War.

The trailers are a bit rubbish though. No money for an Over the top VO guy?

6. Blad the impaler says:

Is it just me, or is that UI a direct ripoff of Starcraft … or Warcraft?

7. racccoon says:

This is what I’ve always wondered, what are their ships like in battle? It looks amazing & Adam smith’s report is very well explained from his first view of the beginnings of the game developments. I believe this is going to be a great game to play & must say with doubt that it would also make a Great Open World Space MMO as well. Great work devs

8. Chiron says:

I caved and pre-ordered, I hope its as cool as Mordheim was.

9. tonicer says:

Nice but … i want a first person WH40K game soooo bad.

• Volcanu says:

Space Hulk Deathwing might have you covered. If it’s not a complete turkey of course