Bif! Pow! Killer Instinct Hits Windows 10 This Month

Microsoft have announced that free-to-play fighting game Killer Instinct [official site] will make the jumpkick from Xbox One to Windows on March 29th. It’s been out on the black box since 2013, and this will support cross-platform multiplayer so folks on PC and Xbone can duff each other up. The Windows 10 release (yes, in the Windows Store) will come alongside the launch of Killer Instinct’s Season 3 expansion, which adds more characters to the wacky lineup.

How wacky? Well, Killer Instinct has the usual fighting game assortment of monks, martial artists, and assassins, then chucks in an alien, a werewolf, a skeleton pirate, robots, a cybernetic dinosaur, a demon, and other oddities. Look, Killer Instinct started in the ’90s.

Microsoft’s revived Killer Instinct is currently in the care of Iron Galaxy Studios, the folks who made Divekick and, ah, ported Batman: Arkham Knight to PC. Hey, this surely can’t turn out that bad. It’s free to play, anyway.

On Xbone (and presumably PC), Killer Instinct has a rotating lineup of free fighters and lets folks pay to unlock characters permanently. Folks who’ve been playing on Xbone can access all their stuff in the PC version, an FAQ explains. That also says it’ll support Xbox 360 fightsticks at launch, and will patch in Xbone stick support later. System requirements are listed there too.

Season 3‘s lineup of new characters includes an Arbiter from the world of Halo and Rash from ye olde Battletoads. The ’90s, maaan.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Tycow says:

Massive fan of Rare’s work, but I’d rather they release the updated version Perfect Dark for the PC. It’s the one game I miss from my Xbox 360. :(

That and Banjo Kazooie!

2. Skeletor68 says:

I loved this game on the SNES. Even had the soundtrack on CD.

There is something to be said for such a mad cast of characters. Although I remember myself and little brothers wincing at the sounds of the werefolf getting hit and making all too real dog noises :(

3. DanMan says:

Windows 10 Store only AND Iron Galaxy Studios porting it? What’s there not to like? I feel so …. blessed.

4. Mr_Blastman says:

LOL Coming to Windows 10! So… install spyware operating system onto your PC and you get a free game based on an arcade game that sucked when compared with greats like Street Fighter 2 Super Turbo and Street Fighter 3 Third Strike. Right.

Nah, I’ll pass. I like my spyware free experience.

• Steven Hutton says:

3rd Strike Sucks!

• says:

Maybe I was undiscerning in my tweens, but Killer Instinct was the only fighter on the SNES that held my attention. SFII was definitely high quality, but didn’t keep me coming back. MK also felt too stiff for me to ever enjoy beyond its cultural buzz and gore novelty.

• Alevice says:

As an arcade game, KI wasnt that great, but as a SNES game, it was fantastic and super tight. I loved it to bits (all sixteen of em). 3rd Strike wasnt even out yet (KI was released on 1994, 3S until 1999!).

5. Chillicothe says:

The only thing Iron Galaxy did wrong was the art in the Third Strike Online port.

6. Neutrino says:

I don’t think a Windows 10 app even counts as a PC game as the Windows 10 and the windows app store is pretty much the very antithesis of what PC gaming is all about.

In which case I respectfully ask RPS do the whole gaming world a favour and not post any more articles on Windows 10 app only games.