Skywind Video Shows Progress In Reviving Morrowind

I used to like total conversions not only for those few which were released, but for watching the development process in action. Untextured weapon models get a bad rap, but I like watching a plan come together or even partially together.

Skywind, then. It’s an attempt to re-build Morrowind within Skyrim’s engine, with re-build environments, textures, models and more. The latest update video shows just how far the project has come, while aiming to recruit more members to help finish it.

To be clear, this has already progressed far beyond the untextured weapon model stage. They’ve rebuilt many of Morrowind’s original environments and models, have some amount of combat and questing in and functional, have recorded their own (professional sounding) voice acting, and more. You can see the current state of affairs in the video above, but it’s looking increasingly like this is a project that might finished.

They still need help, however. The team are now looking for sound engineers, Creation Kit users, 3D modellers, texture artists and much more in order to bring the project towards the finish line. For information on how to volunteer, head over here. There are many fine opportunities for people excited by Trello boards.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Collieuk says:

How many years away from completion is this? Such an effort, whilst staggering seems wasted somehow. Morrowind had such grand landscapes and locations but all the depth of a paddling pool. Everywhere you went was ultimately the same: getting called outlander by all and sundry: I’m wearing full on glass armour you can’t even see my face….is it the way I walk that gives away the fact I’m a foreigner or have I left my white socks visible? You’d have the same conversations with everyone in the hope one option brings up a new dialogue and combat and levelling was farcical. The better you got the quicker you’d level up to godlike powers. I also don’t recall one dungeon with unique traps and events. You have this great talent pool, a collection of skilled gaming enthusiasts from around the globe, imagine they might be able to create something original and stellar instead of trying to piggyback success and recognition from the gaming world off someone else’s IP. Because if they get talent spotted and end up leaving the project it’ll slowly collapse. Good luck to them and all that though.

• jcvandan says:

I think a lot of these criticisms also apply to Skyrim. I liked it for the first 10 hours or so but then the cracks started to show. I remember going and doing the mage guild quest line first, rising to head of the guild, then going back to the first town and this mage dude saying to me “you should go to the mages guild, you look like you might have an aptitude”. It totally turned me off. Maybe news wouldn’t have travelled that fast in a world such as this, but I’m wandering around in high level mage clothing with fire coming off my hands so…

Admittedly an interesting world to explore for a while but ultimately a shallow game that hides it’s linearity by offering you the choice of which linear piece of the game you want to attempt first.

• Fersken says:

As much as I enjoyed Skyrim, by the end I was head of all the guilds, master blacksmith, a vampire, a werewolf, and I had saved the world. I swatted dragons as they where an annoying fly. I had armour which wouldn’t look out of place on Sauron.

I still got lip from the lowliest peasants….

• bakaohki says:

And don’t even get me started on stealing. I can obliterate the whole city, I kill dragons, I kill bears with bare hands, hundreds of bandits, all things living, I’m the hero of the universe and yet…

• ElementalAlchemist says:

Having been involved in a large total conversion/remake mod project myself in the past, I think there are a few different reasons why these sorts of project continue to crop up, or to be more specific why some modders continue to commit time to them. For one thing, creating complete unique, new content is hard. Having a template of an existing game to work to allows you to just focus on the technical side of assembling things into a working game, without also having to worry about inventing things like narrative, lore, and so forth complete from scratch. Some will be in it purely for the nostalgia of the original game, whatever that might be, and wanting to improve certain elements of it. For others it might be a way to cut their teeth on a proper game-scale project while doing a game development degree, something to add to their portfolio when looking for a job. There is a lot of game industry level project/team management stuff that has to go on behind the scenes in a project of this scale (snippets of which you can see in the video), exposure to which you don’t get making small little mods by yourself.

• Sinjun says:

I don’t think it’s a waste. Morrowind has not aged well at all and had zero voice acting from what I remember, this could easily become the definitive version of the game if done right. As for them being able to do their own thing instead… I remember everyone saying the Dragonborn expansion had some of the best stuff in Skyrim simply because it evoked Morrowind, so imagine how popular this is going to be if it’s at that level of quality (which, judging by the video here, it is). A lot of original stuff gets no attention at all, so this might actually be a more pragmatic way of getting exposure.

Risingson says:

Frankly, I think that if something has aged in Morrowind is the game design. I would not want to go back to the tedious grinding via jumps and stamina waste and this kind of incredibly boring mechanics that reminds you at all time that you are playing a game.

And the cliff racers and change of music, of course.

• tomimt says:

All the Elder Scrolls games are pretty shallow, starting from Arena. At first they all look like huge, complex places, but after you’ve played them a bit, it becomes more and more evident that 90% the gamearea, NPC’s and places are just padding.

The devs have always used a lot of time and effort in order to make the games feel huge, Daggerfall as the best example, as it’s still one of the biggest games ever made. The problem just is, that they have very little in them to actually justify the immense scale in them.

• Smaug says:

It’s especially apparent in Morrowind with it’s fog hiding the size of the world, slow walk speed, no fast travel huge amounts of just empty road you walk from point A to B. I bet if they put it to Skyrim engine with it’s fast travel, sprinting and horses it will feel much smaller.

• Smaug says:

Forgot: Named generic NPC’s, god that annoyed me to no end.

• Fenixp says:

Your argument reads a bit like saying “I didn’t like Morrowind, why would people who did like Morrowind remake it?”

2. gbrading says:

It’s a magnificent effort and I wish them all the best of success. Playing Morrowind using the Skyrim engine would get round a lot of the problems that Morrowind has these days in terms of being decidedly old-fashioned.

3. Morte66 says:

Will it have flying? Morrowind did, but alas Skyrim didn’t.

• says:

I’m pretty sure Bethesda took levitate out of Oblivion because of the way they began building cities (divided up into cells, not being laid out as the player is led to imagine). Oblivion and Skyrim would have serious issues if you could float over walls into cities, if only because of the way they’re designed. I’d love it if they addressed that and put them back into the next TES title, though.

• badmothergamer says:

I thought Fallout 4 handled this issue well. They set it up so if you start to fly over a city wall that is in a separate world it automatically loads you into the other world. i.e. if you use the jet pack to boost over the walls of Diamond City you’ll get a loading screen then be plopped down at the front gates. Immersion killing but better than flying around a bunch of LOD models.

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

It’s true that cities are separate cells, and I’m sure that this influenced their decision to remove Levitatation.

The cities are shaped roughly appropriately though, and indeed, there is a mod (that I have used, and works just fine) that makes every city part of the normal worldspace again. This leads me to believe that the only real reason to do it is for performance reasons, particularly on console; there are mods for Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Skyrim that do the same thing and add the cities back into the normal worldspace, and all of them work and run fine on my PC.

• phelix says:

I wonder how they will handle Telvanni tower interiors with the lack of levitation. Glowy teleport pads? How else on earth are you supposed to go up to Aryon in Tel Vos?

• Frank says:

Yeah, that would be a selling point for me.

4. Sinjun says:

Wow, I’m impressed. It had been a while since I heard about this mod, but from the looks of this they might actually release before the end of the year. Can’t wait to play it.

• ElementalAlchemist says:

I’m not sure how you getting that. They are clearly a couple of years away from releasing any sort of public build.

5. says:

Anyone know if Andoran: Prologue will ever release? (link to It’s another really interesting looking Skyrim project. To be honest, it interests me more than reliving Morrowind.

But there are the issues of it taking forever and being in Russian.

6. tellemurius says:

For the rest of us that still want a Morrowind experience I recommend looking into OpenMW. Brand new engine designed to run Morrowind without all the bugs and glitches associated with the Gamebryo engine framework.

While it still has the same mechanics the game, OpenMW has more potential to upgrade through programming and modding than relying on the Skyrim engine. Check out

7. Mr_Blastman says:

It is great they are doing this but I often wonder why go through all the extra work? Morrowind Overhaul looks awesome–otherwise known as MGSO:

link to

It plays awesome, too. I beat Morrowind for the first time a year ago after owning it since 2002. The art assets used in MGSO are fantastic. The texture quality is great. I don’t see the reason to re-do everything when they could just borrow from that mod and be done with it?

Or, for that reason, why not just play the mod? It is fantastic.

• badmothergamer says:

MGSO still has a few bugs and was controversial regarding permission to use all the mods he did but I agree it is a wonderful addition for anyone who doesn’t want to hold out until Skywind is complete.

I also highly recommend looking into abot’s travelling plugins as well. He adds real time silt striders and boats. They are wonderful additions if you want a casual stroll through the landscape to enjoy all the beautiful changes MGSO makes.

8. kirkkh1 says:

At least the new engine won’t be out by the time they’re done.

9. Rogerio Martins says:

This is one of the cases where I would support a mod by buying it. But unfortunately Bethesda and Steam off hands approach policy would make that impossible. If there was quality control and support with the help from the developers, I would buy it. Still, I can support with a donation.

10. bill says:

I’m sure they’ve done a great job, but it looks just like I remember morrowind looking.
    Clearly my memory, and the mods I used at the time, have also done a great job.

11. rabbit says:

looks beauuuudiful. seeing morrowind ‘re-done’ in the skyrim engine really shines a light on just how much less interesting the elderf scrolls design’s gotten over the years.

12. AstroGazer says:

Having played 100’s of hours of Morrowind/Modded – I enjoyed it alot. Enjoyed it more when I got the GamePad to work with it. I enjoyed Oblivion much more with its better inventory system and a pleasant colorful environment. It was so peaceful to play. I also enjoyed Skyrim/Modded and would love to go back to Morrowind again if its UI is like Skyrims with GamePad support. I now only play games games with a GamePad with my 70 inch HD vid screen.
    So, again, I say I can’t wait to see the new Skywind/perhaps SkyWindOblivion. It looks very immersive. Of course there is the Bethesda’s Elder Scrolls 6 (Skyrim2Argo) latter part 2016/17.