Hitman Episode 3 Visiting Marrakesh Next Week

The third episode of the new Hitman [official site] will launch next Tuesday, May 31st, Square Enix have announced. Ian Hitman’s next assignment will take him to the city of Marrakesh in Morocco, where someone wants a banker and a general dead. Given how much of an improvement the second episode was over the first, this is jolly exciting.

‘A Gilded Cage’ will see Ian in Marrakesh as riots simmer and a coup threatens to bubble over. He’s there to murder a banker holed up in the Swedish Consulate and an army general in his headquarters. As for what the city’s like, the official word is:

“Following up on the big fashion show event in Paris and the expansive nature of Sapienza, we knew that Marrakesh had to be something extraordinary. So the team set out to build a location that was both teeming with life and things to do. Marrakesh has been built with a maze of alleys, a range of souls that line the medina walls and a fully-fledged shisha café. Moving upwards, players can enjoy the shade on the rooftop terraces of Marrakesh.

“Just beyond the busy marketplace, you’ll find an architectural marvel in the shape of the Swedish Consulate building. The very embodiment of minimalistic Scandinavian design;, a mix of glass, concrete and wood offering a powerful contrast to the blazing heat just outside its walls.”

Before Marrakesh, mind, the second Elusive Target is coming on Friday. These one-off assassinations only appear for a brief period of time before vanishing from the game forever. They’re really quite exciting.

After Marrakesh, Hitman’s later episodes will visit Thailand, the United States, then finally Japan. These three are all due this year. Episodes are included with the £40 ‘Full Experience’ season pass, cost £7 as add-ons to the £11 ‘Intro Pack’, or folks with the Intro Pack can get all the other episodes together in a £33 upgrade. Yes, I know it’s a mess.

Can IO Interactive top Sapienza? Not… not like in the murder sense. Make an even better level, I mean. It’s difficult, hanging around contract killers – they take almost everything as a sign that you want someone erased, retired, blown away… games journos get in a lot of trouble with that last one.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. iucounu says:

That sounds excellent, and sooner than I had expected! Good show, Ian.

2. Vesuvius says:

Bummer it launches right AFTER the long weekend here in the US.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Not a single mention of all aboard the train? You’re slipping, Alice.

4. Solar Mechanic says:

“A Gilded Cage’ will see Ian in Marrakesh ”

I don’t really see him as an “Ian”.

5. wilemanaltogether says:

I still haven’t got around to playing these since my graphics card broke. They seem to be generally pretty well received but I have a few reservations, mainly to do with the episodic releases and the lack of the old composer Jesper Kyd.

It seems like the new game is a return to form as far as the sandbox side of things go and the episodic format helps that if anything, but are they tied together in any way cinematically? The cutscenes were never the strong point of Hitman games but one of the things I loved about Blood money were the changes in the main menu over the course of the game and how the music upped in tempo until the end with that lovely rendition of Ave Maria. The use of music in Blood Money generally was really something else and stands out from the sea of generic game soundtracks at the time. I feel like little things like that made Blood money more than just a murdering sandbox for me and I dont think i would have liked it as much if it wasn’t all tied together like that.

• Jac says:

There does appear to be some sort of story going on in the background. After each main episode so far has been a cinematic cut scene that is obviously leading some where.

Given the episodic nature this probably won’t entirely satisfy you currently but it is there.

On the sandbox front it is definitely a return to form and is the sort of hitmanning we all wanted from absolution so I 100% recommend it for that. The intro pack has three missions (two smaller ones that are still good fun and the Paris one, which again I really enjoyed) so give it a try if you get your card sorted.

• jonahcutter says:

I would disagree with you on the cutscenes from both Blood Money and Contracts. They are both quite adept at what they set out to do.

There’s distinct and well-handled cinematic aspects to both.

Contracts summons up an alt, art-house film vibe to portray 47 in a fever dream of memories. And Blood Money does a very classic presentation that well matches the game’s international, techno spy-thriller atmosphere.

Both stories are very simple, but the cutscenes are instrumental in creating mood to bookend the levels. And are key in leading up to the incredible endings to both games. Contracts’ tense cat-and-mouse ode to The Professional. And Blood Money’s operatic church bloodbath. Blood Money’s in particular is one of the most unique and creative game ending’s ever. And its impact is set up by the story and cutscenes.

The stories and cutscenes are key to the incredible atmosphere inter actual levels of both games.

6. Severn2j says:

I wonder if it will have the market square where Indiana Jones shot the guy once, in that movie…

7. sagarzi47 says:

Este juego de hitman y la manera de como lo estan entregando al cliente, es una verdadera vergueza, hay muchos juego por ahi, mejor que este no tenemos porque tolerar esta falta de respeto hacia nosotros, entonces donde esta el dicho: el cliente siempre tiene la razon, fuera este tipo de juegos, fuera estas compañias que engañan al cliente y que lo tratan mal.

AutonomyLost says:

Yo necesito a practicar mi español para más tiempo, porque yo comprendo solamente un poco de que tu habla…

• manny says:

Yes apparently DRM doesn’t really effect sales, so perhaps this isn’t a DRM measure. But instead a development one. I think this piecemeal approach suits the hitman game like a glove, the key being hitman practically has no story. Just self enclosed levels.

Biggest thing that ticks me off is the high pc requirements, what if I have a crap pc cause I never play games and then only time proven classic ones with low pc requirements? I think they are missing out on a big market, perhaps they can code in an extra low pc requirements setting.