Hitman: The Congressman Now On The Loose

Straight out of an Agatha Christie adaptation

This is your friendly reminder that the second Elusive Target (a limited time, no do-overs mission) should now be live in Hitman [official site]. Unless you’ve been stupidly efficient and somehow killed whoever it is on spawn already.

Well, I say “whoever it is” but they’ve called the mission “The Congressman” so I’m guessing you’re taking out a congressman and from the picture he seems like a sort of jowly hat-wearer who you might find on a foreign vacation in a Poirot mystery.

Alex Spencer was a big fan of the Elusive Targets but if you, like me, are too stressed by the idea of a limited time mission and the potential for failure, I can suggest an alternative course of action. If you are/were a regular listener to The Bugle podcast you might remember the long-running joke about exclusive access to previously-unknown John Grisham masterwork, The Congressman’s Penis.

This particular bit is more of an exercise in determination than a pleasant listen (like every single one of Andy Zaltzman’s pun runs), but I would thoroughly recommend a weekend listening to back-episodes of the show, either in its “The Times” iteration or the independent one. It’s been basically in cryosleep since John Oliver’s career exploded in the US.

Anyway, The Congressman will be on the loose in Sapienza for 48 hours from 2pm CEST which is 1pm UK time I think. As with the previous target, you’ll only have one chance at the mission. The mission does not take account of the Bank Holiday weekend in the UK so you’ll have to find something else to do on Monday.

From this site

1. iucounu says:

Reminder that you can restart Elusive Targets like any other mission, so long as you don’t get killed.

If your cover is blown and people start shooting at you, restart before you die and you can try it again. This slightly reduces the pressure and will let you experiment a little.

(I think they should probably put a limit on the number of restarts allowed, like they used to with saves.)

Thirith says:

The new Hitman sounds great in reviews, but I’m currently trying to get into Blood Money for the third time and I think it’s not happening. The missions feel less like sandboxes and more like puzzles where you have to memorise what happens where and when. What I’d want is something that offers emergent gameplay, where situations arise based on what you do but that don’t feel like ideally you should play each level half a dozen times and then play Agent 47 as a clairvoyant.

Is there anyone who didn’t really enjoy Blood Money but who’s been playing and enjoying this one? (And am I being unfair to Blood Money and it’s perfectly possible to play it for emergent gameplay rather than as a puzzle with one perfect solution?)

• iucounu says:

Blood Money levels have all kinds of possible solutions, but they do rely to some extent on your knowledge from previous runs, especially if you are playing on a difficulty level that turns the map off. That seems like basic Hitman to me, really – 47 goes in with a particular plan that you’ve learned and perfected over various replays, and the reason you bother with replays is about score and unlocks. If that doesn’t float your boat, it might not be the game for you.

• manny says:

Emergent gameplay is just a suspension of belief.

Although something close to it can be achieved by being able to start a mission as a cleaner or something and ‘case the joint’ as in explore it with the future hit in mind. When there is not much security.
      Why not? We have walking simulators, this would be a pre-assassination observation and study. You could take photos, video and talk to people for more info, which would give you notes. It would be like Oceans Eleven but solo.

• Vesuvius says:

Hitman games are like the movie Groundhog Day.

You learn that one moment perfectly, who will be where, how X interacts with Y, and then- after several playthroughs where you learn more and more- you cut through the level unseen and start a chain reaction that accomplishes your goal perfectly.

• Shinard says:

I’ve been playing Blood Money recently too, and I know what you mean. However, I think there’s two great moments in every Blood Money level – the first time you enter it and start wandering, seeing all the cogs turn around you and working out how to turn it to your advantage (I think this moment is the closest to the emergent gameplay you were talking about), and the last run when you glide like a ghost through the streets/corridors/boat decks of the level without anyone realising you’re there. It’s not a sandbox game, you’re right, but as a puzzle I think it’s a good one.

X_kot says:

There’s a significant difference between Blood Money and the latest version: the former has a timeline of events that occur without your intervention (e.g., the vintner tour will progress through the basement, the opera rehearsal will end, etc.) and shut off potential routes. The latter scripts events to occur when you approach them (e.g., the lady in Paris won’t ask the guard for directions to the bathroom until you walk near them). This change has caused some consternation for people who wanted a Blood Money redux, but it might make the difference for you.

alison says:

I haven’t played the new one, but I hit the same wall playing Blood Money. I hated the die-and-repeat mechanic. So I armed myself with a walkthrough. First “life” I would just run through a level looking around and causing general mayhem. Then, after dying once, I’d consult a walkthrough for either the most elegant or the silliest kill and attempt that. The game became far more entertaining as a result.

A while ago on one of these articles a commenter fantasized about a Hitman game structured more like a tactical shooter. You would be given a wealth of information up-front so you could plan a perfect hit before even getting dropped into the location. Sadly that game doesn’t exist, but using a walkthrough will allow you to skip the tedious trial and error phase and go straight to the farcical narrative.

Alternatively, I guess, you could just read people’s accounts of their most elaborate hits on RPS. Which is what I’ve elected to do for this instalment :)

3. Llewyn says:

It’s still Geoffrey Boycott, whatever they choose to call him.

4. Pinga says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but if these missions are time limited, does it mean if I buy the game next year, I would never experience them? Also, aparently they are server side missions with one chance, so if I lag and die, is it gone forever (even though the game itself is completely single player)?
    Am I the only one who thinks those are really bad ideas?

Because if I’m not wrong, then I just lost any interest for this game.

X_kot says:

You are correct. My guess is that this series of temporary missions is intended to entice purchases while the rest of the episodic content is being developed. If they’re sharp, they’ll release all of the Elusive Targets as DLC once the game is complete. The server reliability is a problem, and I suspect you can only try the missions while online (haven’t tried otherwise yet, might do so tonight).

• Frank says:

Yeah, *probably* a bad idea, but an interesting one, anyway.

They’re trying to create “events” that you’ll fear missing out on, sort of like sports and Game of Thrones (which some people enjoy more by following along on twitter).

In the PC games industry, games end up selling at a steep discount in a few years, so if they can do anything to get you to buy in while the price is high, they’ll try it, I reckon.

5. roseerblooming says:

I feel mildly disappointed in myself – I went for a simple sniper hit, and while the thrill of finding that my patience and particular perch was well rewarded was there (as well as the ensuing escape of the guards who were rushing my location), I feel like I should have tried something more mechanically engaging.

Still, I love the idea of these elusive hits.

6. Jediben says:

I was able to begin the hit in disguise in the kitchen, took the conveniently placed kitchen knife into the main building and threw it into his neck before walking out the front door. Much faster than the first elusive target!

• ItAintNecessarilySo says:

Got him in a similair way, as a bodyguard with the folding knife. Easy but still a lot of fun.
      First just following his routine and conversations makes it feel new, but this time the target walked right in ‘your’ lair, as most probably know the map well by now.

7. Kiwi says:

Started in the safe house, grabbed the exploding golf ball, disguised myself as a butler, found the target, then tossed the ball at him … really surprised it worked, but Elusive Contract successful completed :)

8. Mi-24 says:

Just did it. Failed the last one so really wanted to succeed this time (which I did).

Suffice to say: it was the cleaner, in the piano room, with a fire poker.