Gooaal! Cities: Skylines Adds Free Football Stadium DLC

With Euro 2016 ‘kicking off’ [a technical footballing term meaning ‘throwing a wobbler’ -ballkicking ed.] tomorrow, Cities: Skylines [official site] has brought football home with a little free DLC. The ‘Match Day’ DLC lets players build a stadium in their city, pick kit colours for their home team, earn a cut of ticket sales, enact stadium-related policies, and – oh god help – try to deal with the increased traffic of match day.

This is accompanied by a new update which gives the city-building game’s pre-order bonus DLC bits to all players. Hello, bouncy castles and botanical gardens!

Match Day is free to download from Steam. “Game go!” as they say in footballing.

Also out now is update 1.5.0-f4, which brings a fair spread of fixes and also opens up the pre-order DLC content to everyone. All players now get to brighten up their cities with the Carousel, Dog Park, Bouncy Castle, Basketball Court, and Botanical Garden. That last one is beautiful, with a huge Victorian-looking glass house. And while I’m wary of dogs myself, I certainly do appreciate sitting by a dog park and watching all them little waggy boys.

Check the patch notes for details on all the fixes.

For the record, I have drawn Poland in the RPS Euro 2016 sweepstake.

From this site

1. Shiloh says:

Makes me think I should re-install this – I uninstalled it to free up some disk space on the PC, but I quite fancy another go now.

2. Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

I KNEW YOU WERE A CAT PERSON. I’ve gone right off you Alice.

3. Chiron says:

“And while I’m wary of dogs myself, I certainly do appreciate sitting by a dog park and watching all them little waggy boys.”

That sounds so wrong.

4. RabbitIslandHermit says:

When are they going to release an American football dlc where the team threatens to move to LA if you don’t build them a new stadium every five years?

• mrvega says:

Funny ain’t it. The concept of American sports teams actually moving to other cities is bonkers to me.

• Llewyn says:

LA Dons.

• draglikepull says:

I’m Canadian, and I was having lunch with a guy from Italy one day, and we were talking about sports. I said something to him about a team moving to a new city, and he was like “What do you mean, move to a new city?”

I responded, “You know, if the team doesn’t make enough money to remain viable, they move the franchise to a city where it might make more economic sense.”

He asked “Move it how? What happens to the old team?”

I replied, “You know, like all the players go play in a different stadium in another city.”

And he found the whole concept very bizarre, because I guess European sports teams always stay in the same city? Which, to me as a North American, is a weird idea. A sports team is a business that belongs to a person (or shareholders). Of course they can move their business to a different city if that’s what they want to do.

• Lunase says:

Maybe if you would look at this idea in this way: for us Europeans teams are like family, local patriotism sort of. You support one team that has long history with your area (or eith the city/town it has its home). You arewith them for good and bad. Like marriage. Teams are integral part of thd town/cities neighbourhoods societies, they habve name of those locations in their official names. Therfore we cannot evem imagine that the team move to another city. For us teams are something more than a bussines and this idea that if they are not earning enough so they need to move is horryfing (even for me who is not too interested in this sport). I meam that kills the idea of sport loyalty and traditions (once more thats Europeam view).

• pepperfez says:

And that sort of business inefficiency is why European teams are nowhere near as large or successful as American one. If you ever want a sport to have the global audience and influence of the NFL, you’ll just have to get with the times.

• Untruth says:

You’ve heard of soccer/football right?

• Lunase says:

Now I am not sure if you are troll or serious… you know soccer/football that is probably the most popular sports around the glob (with all due respect to NFL, NBA etc) and is probably bringing the biggest pile of cash (the biggest, most famous pro leagues like Spanish, English etc) from all the sports?

Also, sorry, but European football teams are doing pretty good :D I was just saying that we cannot imagine moving a team from one city to another, and heck, that ain’t against moving with time.

Hell, there is a lot of corruption in the biggest championships I( mean, Sepp Blatter and his clique, also where there is a big amount of cash to earn, there is a risk of corruption) but heck, still these teams are pretty efficient business ventures)

Sorry, it still probably a cultural shock but heck, I cannot agree with you.

• pepperfez says:

I hoped “global…influence of the NFL” would give it away.

5. Rizlar says:

For the record, I have drawn Poland in the RPS Euro 2016 sweepstake.

Well bad luck cos I believe their first match is against the mighty Northern Ireland.

GO ON WEE MAN! etc.

6. mrvega says:

Love this game but it makes my cpu and graphics card fans go mental from overheating. It’s a surprising resource hog.

Love the look of this dlc and the related business aspects from ticket sales etc.

7. Czrly says:

As soon as I can buy this on GoG, I will. This DLC is nice but it still doesn’t change that. I’m a bit tired of Steam and don’t want this enough to buy it there.

• pepperfez says:

Wow, I was totally convinced it was on GOG. I wonder if the Steam version is DRM-free because it’s Paradox publishing?

8. dungeoncrawl says:

There’s a misprint in the article. That’s clearly a soccer stadium. Let us know when you get football. Thanks. ;)

• klops says:

!!!

• hpoonis says:

There is nothing wrong with the article as far as I can see.

Football is clearly mentioned and also clearly visible.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

How silly of us to call the game WHERE YOUR FOOT TOUCHES THE BALL football. We’re so daft, us Europeans!!

• Czrly says:

It is a soccer stadium so you’re half right. It’s also a football stadium and a Fußsball one too. The only thing it definitely is not is a hand-egg stadium.