Quake Champions Has Familiar Voices & Big Eyeballs

I do not believe that I shall ever come to terms with the fact that Quake III’s announcer was not, in fact, voiced by Michael Dorn. I believed that to be the case for so long, having been told it was so by someone at university. Watching this trailer for upcoming online shooter Quake Champions [official site], my heart leaped when I heard the familiar refrain in that familiar bass voice: “Excellent.” Worf! You’re back! No. It was never Worf, Meer. It is not Worf now. But maybe it is the original Q3A announcer returned. That would be something. You can hear Not-Worf for yourself in this first in-game footage of Champions, which rather looks like Quake III and Unreal Tournament had a baby. The speed of the former, the more vibrant palette of the latter.

It’s fast, which is the main takeaway. There’s various marketing chest-thumping about unlocked, 120hz framerates, which is good news for about 5% of us, but for the rest the prettiness and the Q3A-style no forgiveness combat will be the draw. We get a look at the range of characters and their powers, and also there’s a really big eyeball? Dammit, this is the closest we’re going to get to Orb appearing, isn’t it? I miss Orb. All online shooters should have an Orb.

Bright colours aside, it’s the most Quake 3-like Quake I’ve seen in a while (free to play demi-remake Quake Live aside). I want to give it a spin, and I hope ancient Q3A skills still live in my withered veins so that I am not immediately humiliated in it.

Quake Champions goes into closed beta early next year, but no word on a final release date as yet.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. calibro says:

It doensn’t look “hyperfast”… It doesn’t even look “fast”. It’s faster than CoD or Battlefield but that’s not nearly enough.

• Eclipse says:

it looks exactly like quake 3.

• Distec says:

Looked pretty damn fast to me. I don’t know how it compares to Quake 3 since it’s been ages since I fired that up, but it at least seems comparable for the most part. It should definitely be getting credit for being much faster than the majority of its FPS contemporaries.

This smacks me of the complaints about nuDoom not being fast enough, whereas I thought it was fine. I’m convinced that you could show people a nuQuake that’s 1.5x faster than Q3 and people will still think it’s too slow for some reason.

• Ham Solo says:

Might just be the low FOV that makes it look so slow.

• ThePCGamerSpy says:

Airstrafing @0:57, so it’s getting everything right in that regard.

Herzog says:

Graphics look too busy. Hard to distinguish the models from the background. Weapons look over designed. Anyways… still mildly optimistic. Hope Bethesda will provide footage from the showmatch on Saturday.

3. Kefren says:

It’s clear from the image that the metal hoop is dug into the eye’s flesh, not just resting on the surface. So how the f$%^ is the eye able to look around in the video without the metal hoop moving? An eye is a single roundish orb. If they can’t even get the physics of a single round object right, it doesn’t bode well.

Anyway, single player quake 1 (and to a lesser extent) Quake 2 is where it was at for me. The gamey multiplayer of 3 and the rubbishness of 4 lost out on the tense immersion I’d felt years before. (An example of my disappointment with 4: the strogg are all about fleshiness and metal combines – real physicality and mass in a teenager’s gruesome fantasy. Then you shot one in Quake 4 and the body teleported away like a clean-cut Star Trek trick, destroying the organic and meaty feel).

• All is Well says:

On the off chance that you’re actually being serious: it looks like the eyeball is ensconced in some sort of skin-sack, kind of like a massive spherical eyelid, and the hoop is holding that in place, so it doesn’t fall off. It’s not dug into the eyeball itself, so it can move around inside the skin-sack/eyelid-thing.

why did I type this out

• Kefren says:

Mmm, I never considered that they’d thought it through and incorporated skin sacks. I have to give them credit for being deeper than I expected. Maybe the eyeball also has a symbolic meaning relating to e-sports, monetisation, and passive observers.

• Kefren says:

(Apologies, you are right, I genuinely hadn’t thought of an external membrane; my mistake.)

corinoco says:

That’s what separates amateurs from professionals. The truly skilled always remember to think of an external membrane.

• Eclipse says:

also pretty sure you can use that eye as a trampoline

• pistachio says:

He’s right. The eye on my bathroom ceiling does not have that hoop and it can track me all the way into the hallway.

• Kefren says:

I now know it has an extra membrane, so you can relax and wave at it with confidence as you do your bathroom business.

• thelastpointer says:

I am a giant demonic eyeball professional, and this is a frequent mistake among newcomers. Don’t worry, you’ll get the hang of it soon, assumed you survive the first few days of demon gaze exposure.

4. Spacewalk says:

“which rather looks like Quake III and Unreal Tournament had a baby”

5. zxcasdqwecat says:

While it can be as good as a team based game with characters gets, I don’t see the point of this being a thing when overwatch is overwhelmingly piggybacked with all kind of gaming influences, given the reason for this kind of shooters is to be the most stuffed online “shooters” around.

• zxcasdqwecat says:

• Turkey says:

It’s the Blizzard effect in action.

Right now, every publisher with a recognizable multiplayer shooter IP is racing to get their Overwatch clone out the door before the market gets saturated.

This game is basically just a business move.

• zxcasdqwecat says:

In my mind it’s just cod pretending to roleplay and adding gimmicks over gimmicks, tf2 went for that after achieving the title of “most stuffed online shooter which manages not to break its own gameplay”, which has lot to overwatch despite being overwhelmingly stuffed itself, so what quake champions can achieve is simpler and better gameplay than all of these games but because of the nature of this kind of shooters the new quake entry will never be as well designed as past quakes.
        I think blizz and bethesda just tag along a trend trying to appeal to people who just really play anything that doesn’t have much to do with shooters. Bethesda is scarier in brand managing though, nudoom’s multiplayer is ok according to them because it’s a cram of the most popular shooter franchises (cod and halo), while the single player is serious sam with gimmicks and quake champions is a nostalgia bucket as well as the others pushing for whatever recent trend there is. Not going to proofread this

• zxcasdqwecat says:

*lost to overwatch

• Turkey says:

It’s definitely a weird move by Beth. It seems like they’re trying to have their cake and eat it too. They’re pushing all kinds of nostalgia buttons, but they want a totally different crowd to play their game.

• Turkey says:

But then they’ve always been kind of out of the loop. Just look at how long it took them to launch an MMO.

• Phasma Felis says:

It seems weird to say that the point of Quake is to be “stuffed with influences.” For much of its history, Quake was doing the influencing. Now, Quake’s only point is to continue being Quake.

It’s even weirder to call this an “Overwatch clone” as others are doing. From what I’ve heard, it’s Quake plus one unique ability per character. There’s no distinct roles, no fixed weapons.

Mungrul says:

Still not as fast as original Quake.

Don’t get me wrong, Q3A was the game that got me on to the internet and is one of my favouritest games EVER. It’s more balanced than the original Quake, and every weapon has its place, but…

Quake is FAST. And I dearly love the original Quake DM maps like The Bad Place, Claustrophobopolis and The Dark Zone.

Still, I’m not as fast as I used to be either, so maybe we’re well suited to each-other :)

• zxcasdqwecat says:

Speed is something that doesn’t matter as much as people think in combat. also both games have unrestricted speed, this new quake one probably doesn’t for headshots so there.

7. PixelsAtDawn says:

I guess the real question is – is it a good day to die?

8. Noc0de says:

Anyone else spy Q3DM6 – ‘The Campgrounds’? :)

9. Eclipse says:

it’s campgrounds!!!! FUCK YEAH!

UncleBAZINGA says:

Damn, I love what I’ve just seen … ! I’m not made for modern MP games if it be DOTA, CoD or any MMORPG and especially all those survival/crafting games… but the second I laid hand on my m+kb playing the Doom reboot and is MP (yes, I really do enjoy it!) I was in love like it was the last time back in the days playing Half-Life DM, UT and Quake 3. Id, bring it on! First Wolfenstein, then Doom and now Quake <3

11. Arnvidr says:

I’m still not convinced I care for a class-based shooter, but looks very promising!

• Eclipse says:

it’s not class based

• zxcasdqwecat says:

Of course it is. I mean, the answer the guy wants to the interviewer just was to get a “style” point across so that fans don’t bitch too much, because the classes might not be fixed but inventory based (you can pick anything up and maybe more guns too, and you assume the role of said gun), regardless you still have characters with their own gimmicks.

• zxcasdqwecat says:

*gives instead of wants, was just

• Eclipse says:

no it’s not, Tim Willits just said that the champions have special skills. There’s no tank/healer/support. Any character can use any weapon. Maybe they’ll have different movement/jump speeds and base health, but it’s not a class based shooter. There are no defined roles, you just choose whatever fits better your playstyle

• Eclipse says:

and there is no “inventory”, maybe there’s a starting weapon you spawn that is different per player? but it’s not something they said. What we know right now is that you can pick up any weapon with any characters and champions are just more than a skin because they have a special skill.
          If by inventory you mean the weapons you can pick up around that means that you consider Quake 3 Team Arena a class based shooter as well

• zxcasdqwecat says:

Invetory based is what I meant with picking up every weapon, that’s what means to have classes not defined, they are malleable and characters take the roles of the guns they pick up. You are following what he said without knowing what it entails. That obvisouly doesn’t make Q3 asymmetric, unlike championship.

12. Mokinokaro says:

Just a reminder that the actual developers of this game are Saber Interactive who haven’t produced a good game yet (though they did produce a fairly decent game engine.)

I’m really, really apprehensive about a game from the developers of such fine products as Inversion and God Mode even if they are working with id.

13. Jakkar says:

That looks… Dull, in truth.

Why did people ever think Quake 3 was fast compared to Unreal Tournament? It felt more to me like the Unreal games were ‘fast’ but your character had reasonable proportions, whereas in Quake 3 your player-character was very short, and so the ground seemed to move past more rapidly.

A bit like being Welsh at the Olympics.

• Distec says:

I don’t really have the terminology or knowledge required to expound on their differences, but UT has always felt more “sticky” to me. Q3 also seemed to have a higher max running speed, but that may be my perception.

I don’t really have a preference for either (although my heart largely belongs to UT on the whole), as I thought both experiences lent themselves well to the games they were used in. But in Quake it feels like I’m running on ice skates doing crazy rocket-launcher acrobatics, whereas UT feels much more grounded.

I’m sure there’s other small things that contribute to this perception. UT maps could have a good number of elevators, but Q3 had the jump pads. They achieve the same thing, but the latter does give you a feel of uninterrupted flow.

• zxcasdqwecat says:

quake games have unrestricted speed, ut games don’t.

14. k.t says:

The original Q3A announcer is at Oculus these days, so don’t get your hopes up, Alec.

15. Ham Solo says:

The reason it doesn’t look fast enough might just be the low FOV, guys. All in all it looks very pretty,
    but I still won’t touch it if there is no “classic” gamemode without the wallhack/teleport abilities.
    It’s just not what quake should be imo. Quake was always a 100% equal opportunity, purely skill based arena shooter. No “rock, paper scissors” abilities that introduce a certain randomness into the game.