Charge! Battlefield 1 Open Beta Is Live

How does Battlefield 1 [official site] tie into Battlefield 1942? Will this prequel’s story be impossible to follow without playing the other 1941 games first – or at least reading the extended universe novels? How many confusing audiologs will be awkward in-jokes? Is it even the same timeline? Finally we can discover the answers to these questions and more, as Electronic Arts today launched a free open beta test for the World War 1 multiplayer first-person shooter. Head over to Origin to download and play.

When will the beta end? Dunno! Developers DICE haven’t said anything yet. They’re a mysterious sort. Rumours claim it’ll end on September 8th but DICE haven’t made any big announcements. Anyway, the full game’s due to launch on October 21st; a bumload of DLC is already lined up.

As for what’s in this here open beta, the official word is:

The Battlefield 1 Open Beta will include the Sinai Desert map, a scorching hot battlefield located just East of El-Jifar. From infantry skirmishes in the narrow streets of the village of Bir el Mazar to dogfights above the majestic cliffs, you’ll need to make tactical use of the dunes as you engage in explosive battles. When all hope is lost, reinforcements will arrive in the shape of a powerful Behemoth: a deadly Armored Train charging through the desert sands.

Two modes will be available as well:

• Conquest. An all-time fan favorite of Battlefield players, Conquest is a large-scale game mode with up to 64 players fighting for the control of key objectives. With large armies on foot or behind the wheel and the addition of fearsome Behemoths, Conquest brings together all the elements of the signature Battlefield All-Out War.
• Rush. A 24-player mode where the Attacking force must find and destroy the Defending force’s Telegraph Posts, which can be used to call in artillery strikes. The Defenders can deny the Attackers their mission by disarming explosives they plant on the telegraph positions. Should the Telegraph Posts be destroyed, the Defenders must fall back to the next sector and protect the Telegraph Posts there.”

Fingers crossed we get to play as ancestors of the original Battlefield 1942 heroes.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. phelix says:

First impression: Ingame main menu is finally back! Whee.

Second impression: Runs abysmally at lowest settings on my midrange PC.

Third impression: Freezes up my PC after 3 minutes of play. Every. Single. Time.

Well, it’s a beta alright.

• phelix says:

Update: After fiddling around with settings the game no longer forces me to restart my PC with its crashes. No idea what did the trick though.

• TeaEarlGreyHot says:

What do you have the res scale at? 42% is native as an FYI, if you are running 100% that is going to kill a potato.

• phelix says:

Wait, the resolution scale is actually multisample AA? And 42% is native res? I’ve been doing it so wrong.

• Clavus says:

Resolution scale is basically supersample AA (just rendering game at a higher res internally). There’s a bug right now where is shows native res at 42% instead of 100%.

• Manco says:

Abysmal?

Run’s fairly good at +/- 60 fps on my GTX 670 and most options at medium. Medium still being pretty damn nice to look at.

• ACE454 says:

Runs great on ultra on my R9 390 and FX 8350. Game defaulted to ultra actually. 70-75 fps on average.

2. DarkLiberator says:

Impressions:

It has all the graphics.

Its a shame they picked this map over the map in the alpha. Honestly, Sinai is not very interesting and already kind of bored with it. Constant sniper spam or getting shot in the face by tanks. Also with no warning sand storms coming into to obscure everything.

Flying planes is fun though I will say. Using the tank hunter variant on the attack plane a blast for sure.

3. BobbyDylan says:

Gorgeous looking game. Plays ok, but the map is pretty dull.

4. Geezer says:

I have been getting between 110-120 fps (never below 100) on my 1080. Ultra settings at 1440p. The performance, for me at least, is comparable to Doom. No complaint here at all.
    Sinai is a boring map (though I’m loving that flame thrower), but it looks great and I can’t wait for the games release. Based on the alpha and even this map I get the feeling that they have put a lot of effort into this one. If you’re a Battlefield geek then this will be a good one….

5. Creeping Death says:

Played a bunch of it yesterday. It’s good fun, I dont thin the map is that boring (I mean, I played enough to hit ran 25 or something so it must be alright) but it does kind of feel like the WWI trappings are wasted. Where are the bolt action rifles? Why does every gun just feel like an smg or a slow firing assault rifle? :/

• Scelous says:

They don’t have bolt-action rifles for infantry? Well that’s a turn-off.

• BillyBumbler says:

There are bolt action rifles. The issue is that automatic weapons outnumber them.

• Creeping Death says:

The only bolt action rifles I’ve seen so far have been in the sniper class. The infantry rifles LOOK lie bolt action but are actually either semi-auto and fire as fast as you can click or full auto and you can just hold down the mouse button.

I desperately hope this is just to make the beta “accessible” because not using an enfield as british infantry is bullshit.

Oh and everyone, regardless of side or class, has a m1911 pistol.

chabuhi says:

That’s been my concern all along watching the vids and such. Now, I know, I haven’t played it so I’m not entitled to an opinion and should just stfu and die, but it looks like Michael Bay’s WWI to me.

• zerosociety says:

It is absolutely Michael Bay’s WWI in the best possible way.

Short thoughts: The mechanics emphasize squad level gameplay in a way it hasn’t been since Bad Company 2. And like BC2, the bullet physics are great. (No, really, I’m loving sniper duels in B1 and I normally dislike sniper gameplay.)

The realism fans will (understandably) hate it, and the people who just want to ride a horse through an explosion while being chased by a biplane, should be pretty satisfied.

Runs well great on a 980ti, though the very much still in development DX12 version comes in with a bit more of a performance hit.

• Czrly says:

They’re part of the 20 weapons coming with the season pass. Sorry. Gotta sell it somehow.

6. gabrielonuris says:

Aah, I miss the days when some video games could be compared to books; always reminds me of the Legacy of Kain series, and my struggle to understand everything, even after playing the whole series a dozen times in chronological order.

7. DaftPunk says:

Plays like Star Wars Battlefront,only different setting. No depth at all.. And people will still buy it :D

• Geezer says:

I rather simplistic comment considering the beta has been out only a few seconds. The Battlefield series will never set a very high bar for gaming, but there is no comparison between the two.
      At least wait for the various loadout options before writing this thing off. I feel, at the VERY least, that it makes little difference in Battlefront which loadout you use (it’s essentially just laser tag.) No so with Battlefield…

• Agnosticus says:

U realize that there has been an early access to the open beta? I got my key yesterday at noon and I’m three hours in now.

It’s not as flat as Battlefront was: The vehicles (incl. the horse) are fun to use, the destructable terrain/houses are great, melee is fun.

But on the other hand: medics are useless, there is little to no tactics, it’s too fast (for ADHS kiddies I guess), not at all a WW1 game (too many automated weapons, AA, heavy tanks, few artillery, no shell shock or suppression fire, no tension, etc…)

• Scraphound says:

If you want realism, find a realistic game.

You’re basically saying football sucks because nobody’s swinging a bat. Go play baseball and leave the football fans alone.

Or judge the game on its merits rather than comparing it to something it isn’t even trying to be.

• Agnosticus says:

Easily offended huh? Did you even read to post?

I’m not saying that it has to be realistic, tbh BF never was, but the WW1 theme feels tagged on, it could just as easily be a WW2 themed shooter.

8. Bobtree says:

Nvidia released a new driver for BF1 yesterday: 372.70

I’m going to stay on the previous one unless there are issues or I have bad performance in the beta.

9. Epicedion says:

I’m finding it to be very good, and I’m enjoying it more than any Battlefield I’ve played since 2142. First, it’s insanely pretty. The engine from Battlefront really shines. Second, the interaction with the level is excellent, in terms of destruction, navigation, and just the ability to open a damn window instead of smashing at it with your knife. Third, it’s a somewhat ‘pure’ Battlefield, since you don’t have to deal with drones and other remote control things, shoulder-fired rockets, ****ing thermal/IR optics, etc.

The only thing I’m not really sold on is the way the round timer and points system work — no kneejerk here, I can see the merits of both, and I’m not sure which I like more. Sadly we won’t see custom time-limit and points servers during the beta, so we won’t really get to explore the system in detail — the ‘official’ default settings in the last few Battlefields aren’t exactly representative of actual post-release play, and here is no different.

As a note, the Medic class is getting a lot of heat for its lacks of effectiveness. While the pros and cons of the current revive system are debatable, the ability to keep your allies in the fight can’t be over-appreciated. Yesterday I spent 5 minutes in a protracted firefight defending one of the control points — I had 3 allies with me, and we were all crouched or prone on the backside of a berm, popping up to fire at the dozen or so people who were assaulting. None of us died because I was chucking medic bags like a demon (I probably only fired about 15 rounds the whole time), and we held the point. So yeah, the syringe isn’t fantastic, but the healing is still pretty great.

• Agnosticus says:

Ad medic: the thing is that you can spawn to your squadmembers anyway, so you’ll be right back in the firefight!

By the way is ticket loss when dying still a thing in BF? Or is it just about the flags now?

• shaydeeadi says:

I sure hope it is.

• Epicedion says:

True, but if everyone dies it’s sort of hard to spawn on anyone.

Right now the ‘ticket’ system is replaced with accruing points — every X time (not sure the rate) you get some points per flag your team controls. Kills don’t affect that score. Oddly enough, it’s sort of like Arathi Basin in WoW.

• Agnosticus says:

Sure, but in order to revive someone, there has to be at least a medic around to which you then could spawn to ;) also diving to a downed enemy seems to be a good way of getting killed in this game.

10. Jakkar says:

I do hope they’ll add some sort of gameplay mode that scales back the tech level a bit, or at least permit something resembling a mod for this. WW1 without a bolt action emphasis is… wrong.

Download nearly complete. Very keen to see how it feels for myself.

11. Ham Solo says:

Awesome! Can’t wait to play on the eastern front as the russians and the western front as the french, HAHAHAHAHAHA. No, thanks.

12. bamjo says:

First impressions from a Project Reality player:
    -Some guns take 6-7 hits to kill someone (including the Lewis gun, a .303 caliber machine gun). Feels really arcadey
    -Self repairing tanks
    -Bombers are better dogfighters than fighters
    -Tracers are WAY too bright. More like sci-fi lasers
    -Medics are pointless. No ticket loss on death, and the bleedout timer is super short
    -It’s pretty

All I can think of when I’m playing is what an awesome game we could have if modders had access to this engine. What Dice has given us is COD with bigger maps. Not spending a dime on this.

13. Creeping Death says:

Where did all the europe servers go? Trying to play this evening and there are 2 french servers and the rest are US and Japan. Last night it was mostly french and irish servers filling the browser :/

14. Blutsuechtiger says:

Okey Lads,

I played some hours now since Early Beta Access and these are the things to mention from my side:

Useless Setting:
    As some have already mentioned, the Game does not give you any WW1 feeling as it should. Too much SMG, too fast Vehicles and even people running like LSD Lemmings.

Good Optic:
    Yes, I love it. Everything fits! But thats just the optic.

Mapdesign:
    Here is a massive fail incoming. Why in gods name do they create such a huge Map for 64 players when all are split up in small groups? It makes no sense, because you have too many chokepoints that are just too far away from each other.

Medics:
    Why do they exist? Respawns are way too fast and as mentioned before, the map kills this class too.

I hope they will throw in a trench map in size of those Maps from “Verdun” and medics will finally have a reason to exist again. Until then, my only hope is for custom maps(expecially converted Maps from “Verdun”) & Mods to come and make this game what it should be.

15. Xiyng says:

My favorite feature so far is spawning without any equipment (which includes weapons).

Due to the scoring system, I managed to stay on top of my team’s scoreboard for a really long while even without any weapons though. At start, I just grabbed a car, got some dudes with me (probably my squad), and drove around capturing stuff. I didn’t get a single kill because I wasn’t the gunner, but I still got a ton of points.

Comment on this story