Dark Souls 3: The Ringed City DLC ends series in March

The Dark Souls saga will conclude with the second and final Dark Souls 3 [official site] DLC expansion, The Ringed City, on March 28th. That’s the release date Bandai Namco announced today. The Ringed City venture into a lost city at the end of the world, through a mish-mash of merged lands, with new enemies, new bosses, and at least one ↑ fancy egg. Here, have a peek at what awaits in this first trailer for The Ringed City:

That’s not bad, that. I do like the jumble from lands colliding, the glitched-out Far Lands, the Scar where the world breaks down. As for the official word on what we’re seeing, Bamco say the expansion “has players chasing after the Slave Knight Gael to the literal end of the world as he searches for the Dark Soul of Humanity”. They continue:

“At the close of the Age of Fire, as the world ends and all lands converge upon themselves, a lone adventurer descends into the madness of the earth and uncovers the secrets of the past. As players make their way to the fabled Ringed City they will encounter ancient beasts, a new cast of characters teetering on the edge of insanity, new armor, weapons, magic, and at the bottom of it all, a long lost city filled with new horrors for players to overcome.”

The Ringed City will cost £11.99/14,99€/$14.99 or come in the £19.99/24,99€/$24.99 DLC season pass with the first expansion, Ashes of Arandiel.

Robert Zak told us Wot He Thought of Ashes of Arandiel last eyear – enjoyable and pretty but short and shallow, basically. He was hopeful for this final DLC to give Dark Souls a good send-off. We think this is the end, at least. Hidetaka Miyazaki, the director of Dark Souls and president of developers From Software, has said it’s time for them to move on.

“As president of From Software, I’m not completely denying the possibility of bringing back the franchise in the future,” Miyazaki told Polygon last year. “There could be someone else in my company who wants to work on new installments. But we believe that the series will end after the two DLC.”

From this site

1. popej says:

This will be bittersweet I suspect.

2. Snowskeeper says:

RIP

3. gabrielonuris says:

Yes! Maybe one more year, and I can finally buy the full/goty/ultimate/whatever edition with all the DLCs for the price of a croissant!

• Ghostwise says:

I’d assume it will be called the Git Gud Edition.

• gabrielonuris says:

I actually laughed at that!! Good one mate!

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Try Tounge But Whole Edition. Comes with a lifesize reproduction of Miyazaki’s derriere so his fans can continue kissing his ass forever.

• abobo says:

Dark Souls 3 with the season pass is the only game I’ve pre-ordered and paid full price for in many years. I regret nothing.

4. Suits says:

Hope it’s reaaaally long :( because i’ll miss the series

5. Seafoam says:

I love the way the world’s end is portrayed in Dark Souls. It’s none of the apocalypse things that we are accustomed to today, but something a person in the medieval times would have thought it. I look forward to reading about the lore snippets this dlc will provide.

6. Snowskeeper says:

On a more serious note: I like the fact that the most affecting scene, and the one given the most time in the series of quickish action shots, is the one where the Unkindled touches an egg. That was a nice scene. I like that scene.

7. Dezmiatu says:

I want to believe that all those merged lands are from Dark Souls 2.

8. Monggerel says:

This better be better than Ashes of Ariandel. Which was thoroughly unmremarkable, punctuated by a strange similarity to Dark Souls II’s Ivory King DLC and a pair of mediocre bossfights.

I guess that’s acceptable – Fromsoft very clearly ran out of ideas for Dark Souls before the third iteration (I mean, look at the worst parts of Dark Souls I: what the fuck were they thinking?) and so DS III was only ever going to be a bittersweet letdown. Which is apt, because it’s a story about a bittersweet letdown.

I’m glad they still managed to pull out all the stops for Bloodborne though, because that game is a god damn masterpiece, and it gives me hope for whatever Miyazaki&Co will end up doing in the future instead of the zombie of Dark Souls.