Netflix Castlevania series penned by Warren Ellis

Castlevania

Netflix has confirmed via a line in a press release that “Castlevania Season 1, Part 1 Coming to Netflix in 2017”. I don’t believe that the online streaming service has released anything in the way of further info themselves, but the series producer, Adi Shankar has fleshed out the announcement a little, revealing Warren Ellis as the series’ writer and adding “I personally guarantee that it will end the streak and be the western world’s first good video game adaptation”.

As per Shankar’s Facebook page:

BREAKING NEWS:
Castlevania is a Netflix Original Series with Season 1 launching in 2017 and Season 2 in 2018. Furthermore, I personally guarantee that it will end the streak and be the western world’s first good video game adaptation.
P.S. A.V. Club, stop saying mean s*** about me.
P.S.S. Kevin Kolde is the man and Seasons 1 & 2 were written by Warren f’ing Ellis.

Warren Ellis, by the way, is known for writing comics including Transmetropolitan, The Authority, and Nextwave, as well as several novels.

There’s another Facebook post from August 2015 which gives a bit more information about the intended direction of the show, although a lot can change in a year and a half so it might now be an upbeat quirky musical:

“Breaking News: I’m producing a super violent Castlevania mini-series with my homies Fred Seibert and Kevin Klonde. It’s going to be dark, satirical, and after a decade of propaganda it will flip the vampire sub-genre on its head.”

Seibert founded Frederator Studios, by the way. Their stable of animated shows includes Adventure Time and, my personal favourite, The Fairly OddParents which feels really promising.

Anyway, what I’m getting from this is that it will be a cartoon show about upside-down vampires or “sǝɹᴉdɯɐʌ”.
˙ǝɔuǝɹǝɟǝɹ ɟo ʇuᴉod uᴉɐɯ ɐ sɐ III ɐᴉuɐʌǝlʇsɐƆ sǝʇᴉɔ ʎllɐɔᴉɟᴉɔǝds ʇɔǝɾoɹd sᴉɥʇ puɐ pǝʌloʌuᴉ ʎllɐnsn ǝɹɐ sdᴉɥʍ plo ƃᴉq ˙ɐlnɔɐɹp ɥʇᴉʍ lɐǝp oʇ ʎɹʇ ʎǝɥʇ sɐ sʇuoɯlǝq ǝɥʇ pǝllɐɔ sɹǝʇunɥ ǝɹᴉdɯɐʌ ɟo ʎlᴉɯɐɟ ɐ punoɹɐ ǝʌloʌǝɹ oʇ spuǝʇ puɐ (ǝɯ ǝʞᴉl) sǝᴉʇɥƃᴉǝ ǝɥʇ uᴉ ʞɔɐq pǝʇnqǝp ɥɔᴉɥʍ ᴉɯɐuoʞ ʎq pǝdolǝʌǝp sǝᴉɹǝs ǝɯɐƃ ɐ sᴉ ɐᴉuɐʌǝlʇsɐƆ

Collider had a bit more information at the time thanks to a Q&A with Shankar. He referred to the goal of the project as being to bring “hard-hitting anime” to America and cited Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll and Young Justice as influences.

I think the game franchise was actually intended for the big screen a few years back with a Dracula origins story as part of it but it’s stalled for so long that I assumed it had been cancelled for good. Apparently people are still sort of circling the idea but there are rights issues and so on so it looks like this Netflix series is your best bet for a Castlevania project.

From this site

1. Da5e says:

TEEEEEAAAAAM no, hang on

phuzz says:

CONAN! WHAT IS BEST IN LIFE?

And now everyone who used to read Ellis’s email newsletter is involuntarily cringing and closing their eyes.

He also wrote for Hostile Waters for those that remember playing that.

3. RedViv says:

Hey, Silent Hill does classify as >good<! And Street Fighter was a really good cinematic comedy in the vein of Rush Hour!

• Kingseeker Camargo says:

Hey, Silent Hill does classify as good!

I’m gonna have to ask you to step outside. We don’t even joke about that.

• RedViv says:

It is good. Just… not much else. It is not exceptional or especially noteworthy.
        Now, the sequel. Well. That one is definitely noteworthy, in a far different way.

• ansionnach says:

I thought Prince of Persia was fun and unpretentious.

• RedViv says:

I have the same problem with that film as I have with the appropriately titled fourth part of the Sands trilogy. I keep forgetting it exists.
        I think they might have planned this to be the next big Pirates of the Carribean deal. That certainly did not turn out well.

• ansionnach says:

Haven’t been able to get into any of the games since Prince of Persia 2. It’s proper hard – once you’ve finished it all the others seem like trudges through walking simulators!

• kud13 says:

I felt the Hitman movie wasn’t terrible.

The part where he knocks out a girl instead of sleeping with her was totally true to the source material.

4. welverin says:

I completely ignored the headline for this I saw elsewhere, but Ellis will make at least give it a try.

• Conrad B Hart says:

Same! Ellis is a personal favorite. I read the headline elsewhere (without Ellis namedropped) and groaned at yet another attempt at reviving and “monetising” my generation’s childhood nostalgia. But now I’ll have to check it out.

5. Snowskeeper says:

“I personally guarantee that it will end the streak and be the western world’s first good video game adaptation.”

Well, I guarantee it’ll be awful.

So there.

• mouton says:

Warcraft was not bad. Not a very good movie and rather incomprehensible to the uninitiated but otherwise not the kind of atrocity we got accustomed to.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I was gonna point out that Warcraft was a good adaptation. If you like traditional high fantasy adventure movies and special effects, it’s actually great.

From wiki overdosing, I knew enough about all of the characters, so I found the movie very entertaining. Several other game movies have been entertaining, for one or another reason and that’s what I consider “good”.

I doubt the near future will give us a critically acclaimed game movie and even if it does, I doubt people will stop going on about this “curse”. Anyway, who cares as long as YOU enjoy it.

• Blad the impaler says:

Nobody really. How it will be remembered is an amalgam of the critical reviews mixed with loud disappointment from fans of the source material that it didn’t hit all the right notes. I don’t disagree – I hope it’s at least enjoyable. The curse is a construct borne of our expectations and inability to be open to adaptation.

6. KillahMate says:

I’ll never forget the day Warren Ellis taught me that Mark Millar Licks Goats. Expectations increased for this one.

Syt says:

Warren Ellis wrote one of my all time favorite comic series, Transmetropolitan (a series that becomes more relevant with each U.S. election), but a lot of his other material is hit or miss for me. I’ll surely give this one a try when it comes out, though. :)

• Turkey says:

Seems like he totally fell in love with writing Spider characters, cause everything I’ve read of his afterwards has had like a cranky loner protagonist who’s smarter than everybody else.

• mouton says:

Planetary was absolutely glorious to me. I love a lot of his rambly material as well, I think Supergod stands out.

8. zergrush says:

That’s the second time he’s doing a Castlevania adaptation, waaaaaaay back there was one with James Jean on art direction iirc.

9. michael.neirinckx says:

How did you do the upside down text? Is it a font type? If so, is it a web font?

dnelson says:

Unicode is big. Really big. You just won’t believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. It’s so big that there are upside-down equivalents of most letters. Some letters don’t even need special handling, ( “o” for example), but lots of uppercase letters have no upside-down equivalents. See link to upsidedowntext.com for a live converter.

10. magogjack says:

No matter what it should be interesting.

11. Snowskeeper says:

So to explain my position in a less flippant, more pretentious and insufferable way, I guess:

I have a very difficult time giving film adaptations of anything any slack. It’s difficult for me to see them as anything but an attempt to cash in on a preexisting fanbase’s love for the source material. Whenever I complain (loudly and annoyingly) about this, I am told that I should just try to treat them like separate stories, but if they wanted to be treated like separate stories they should have marketed themselves that way. So optimism is low, at the moment.

12. Scandalon says:

When someone involved “guarantees” something that they can’t guarantee, only influence, I ignore them.

When someone makes pronouncements about what their project is going to do “to the genre”, I know they’re full of carp.

When they do both at once? Hah. Ha ha ha.

13. Spacewalk says:

I have zero faith in a Castlevania adaption that isn’t a massive hommage to vintage Hammer.

Comment on this story