Starbound to go proper interplanetary in spacey update

I spend most of my weekend spacing out, so its appropriate that news should reach me that Starbound [official site], a game which has been out since 2013, is seeing quite a big update in the form of some new space-focused features. As well as bringing some new interstellar vehicles to the planet-hopping craft-em-up, the upcoming patch will also be reworking its system of interplanetary travel. To see how that might look in-game, check out the moving picture below.

Game-crafters Chucklefish explained where this was going in a recent post on their development blog. Here’s what they had to say.

“Space isn’t just about stars and planets, it’s about the space between them, so you’ll now be able to fly freely around systems and explore all kinds of new locations, from space stations to traveling merchant ships to mysterious derelicts! Systems won’t just be static, either — moons orbit planets, planets orbit stars, and rich opportunities come and go, rewarding patient explorers with brand new perils and plunder!”

That feels like a pretty sizeable addition to a game that’s already rather big, reinvigorating the sense of galactic exploration. The update will also add mechs which are said to be “your primary tool for exploring hostile new space environments”. You’ll be upgrading it, equipping it with different types of stuff and, importantly, colouring it in with your own paint job.

There’s no word on when the patch will happen but Starbound tends to get a big update every three months or so, and their last big one (adding terraforming and dungeons) was in December. That might mean it shouldn’t be too long.

1. stringerdell says:

Id love a survival mode in this game where the starvation mechanic was less harsh. Last time I played we tried pretty hard but never managed to get a sustainable food source going, and spent every night frantically shooting arrows at critters to try and get enough meat to survive the next day

• PancakeWizard says:

I can only assume it’s been a while as the game is well structured at the start to get you off-world to the space colony that sells food, and you always start somewhere with vegetables growing everywhere that you can reseed and start your own crops. There’s no need to hunt everything.

2. Lobotomist says:

The most amazing ( underated game ) will be even more awesome !

Cant wait.

I only wish they worked a bit more on multiplayer functionality

• Detocroix says:

Underrated? They literally have over 2.5 million players, and are rated above 80% on metacritic. They’re FAR from underrated, it is literally a mainstream game :)

3. Anti-Skub says:

Stop me if I’m wrong, but the whole space travel part of this just looks like a minor UI tweak. Just a partially animated planet selection screen with a new “space ship” location type.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

4. SaintAn says:

Hope they still plan to add ship combat like in FTL to the game.

5. Snowskeeper says:

In the opening sentence, you used the wrong form of “its.” Should be “so it’s appropriate,” not “so its appropriate.”

At some point I’ll have to rename myself “Aunt Josephine.”

• Kestrel says:

Pedantry should be celebrated. RPS has some of the most talented writers around, but they do seem to keep getting “its” and “it’s” wrong in about every article I read.

We still love you, Brendan.

• Brendan Caldwell says:

Come on guys.

Its not that big a problem.

• Hedgeclipper says:

But its’ all wrong

• Snowskeeper says:

It’s not, hence the self-deprecating joke, but the fact that a little problem isn’t big doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be brought up, all else permitting.

(Incidentally, if the reason you didn’t realize I didn’t think it was important was that you didn’t get the joke, you need to go read A Series of Unfortunate Events, liek, nao.)

• Snowskeeper says:

Oh. There was a joke in there.

WHY AM I SO BAD AT THINGS.

• ColonelFlanders says:

I don’t know what offends me more: the fact that you trolled us by pretending it isn’t a problem, or the fact that you now know it’s wrong and still haven’t changed it. I feel quite sick.

6. rollermint says:

Its understandable that space is finite but Total War and Mount & Blade have quite a number of amazing total conversions and grand mods that fixes, updates and changes quite a list of things.

7. Nerdy Suit says:

I got into the Terraria because I could play local coop. It makes no sense to me why these devs seemingly refuse to add it since it’s been brought up countless times before. If they ever add it, I’ll pay full price for the game. Otherwise, I’ll pass.

8. racccoon says:

I’m very interested in buying this game but there preferences are STEAM! which sucks!
    I know After searching for it outside of this games website I can buy it on gog! whats with chucklefish sites pure focus on cappy Steam for the buy links!
    I put this down to hard core pressure by steam to force them to use it, with the, “use us or lose it” policy.
    More games needs to stop being victims of Steams pressure pot demands, get themselves a set of balls and be free from tyranny of monopolizing system which is currently damming the PC gaming market! with Steam steam steam fucking steam!
    I can not even think of buying this game even with it on gog’s listing. It does not show whether or not it has any relations to new current updates, all i can find is its treated like second rate citizen by Steam rampant illicit policies of which we are the only ones you need to give first priority too.
    This to me is a force DT walled marketing plot of imprisonment of PC gaming.

• falconne says:

I like how even your grammar managed to convey the image of an old man yelling at a cloud.

• yellingOldMan says:

I don’t understand. I have this via steam. my friend has it via gog on his crapple. Gog is a bit slow with the updates though, I used to give my friend the entire binary folder every time steam patched until they stopped distributing all versions. regardless he connects to my dedicated server no worries.
      also..I hope this patch doesn’t break my existing universe like the move to full release did.