Oily Souls: The Surge launch announced for May 16th

Shamelessly Souls-y action-RPG The Surge [official site] will launch on May 16th, publishers Focus Home Interactive announced today. Our Adam recently played a preview chunk and quite enjoyed it, happily lopping limbs off robots to craft bigger limbswords. Sadly, while it does let you lop off a bot’s chainsaw arm to craft your own chainarm, I don’t believe it reaches ridiculous levels of e.g. ripping off and swinging a 30-metre diggerarm like in NieR: Automata. Ooh, aren’t we serious! Still, The Surge does look like it could be fun.

At the preview event Adam attended, those gamesmen with their beards and plaid shirts kept calling it a sci-fi Dark Souls. Adam’s preview responds:

“Fine. But is it a good sci-fi Dark Souls?

“Short answer: it’s impossible to say. Slightly longer answer: the early section I played, for half an hour, is great, but without seeing how the game deals with level structure and enemy variety, it’s tough to make a call one way or the other.”

Read the rest for info on combat, limbcrafting, and world layout. The Surge isn’t the first Souls-y game from developers Deck13, who in 2014 gave us the not-good Lords of the Fallen. Their second crack does seem to be shaping up better.

May 16th it is. Here’s a lengthy gameplay video from earlier this month:

1. Drib says:

I was going to make some asinine comment about not remembering the part of dark souls where you cut off someone’s arm and beat them with it.

But then I remembered cutting off a gargoyle’s tail and beating them with it.

2. Kingseeker Camargo says:

I recently gave LotF a second chance after having it sitting on my hdd for a year, and I’m rather enjoying it! For what it is, anyway. It’s loud and it’s in-your-face and it doesn’t understand subtlety and the silly plot keeps getting in the way and the protagonist is generic and despicable as they come and it basically forces you to play as a tank no matter what you choose –BUT! the gameplay is still good fun, so there’s that.

I wish more developers would take a shot at aping Dark Souls like this, even if they just don’t quite get it. Hey, Dark Souls 2 didn’t quite get it either, and I still had fun with it for like a year. Less survival and crafting, and more stamina management-based combat, I say! \`[-|-] /

• skabb155 says:

It also stars Tom Selleck. Or at least has him on the cover.

3. Easy says:

LotF looked pretty but mechanically was extremely unsatisfying (and narrative wise let’s not even go there). I hope the combat feels much better here. It certainly looks pretty (again).

4. lordcooper says:

This looks right up my alley. Dialogue is just about as awkward and stilted as I’ve ever seen.

DantronLesotho says:

I need to go back and play LotF now that I have a decent video card but what little I played seemed somewhat decent. I’m really curious about this, and the gameplay video just made me more curious.

6. Dogshevik says:

I am sorry to say, but frankly speaking this looks awful.

If this game is supposed to be combat-focused then it really needs to improve its physics. I stopped watching the gameplay video at 3:00 when the character beats up that security unit. The hero constantly clips through the forward legs of his enemy. His parries show no reaction to the direction of the attack. When a weapon actually connects the animation doesn´t really show it. The strike just follows the same arc it would have if he hit into the air.
    Let´s leave aside that the security unit´s passivity, even when the previous fight took place in clear line of sight.

This would be ok for a game that has another focus, but something that calls itself an action-RPG really needs more action.

• Deadly Habit says:

Is it telling my inner voice when reading this was the comic book guy from the Simpsons?

• Dogshevik says:

Not sure. Probably no more and no less than having nothing to contribute to the points brought up.

• Scraphound says:

He does have a point. You just don’t get it, apparently. Your complaints are anal.

• Dogshevik says:

Well, there is little I can say against such a measured response and irrefutable proof. Thank you for the effort you put into this, though.
            Cheers.