Warframe: now a game of music-making as well as action

“I never thought I’d be doing this in Warframe,” says George Spanos, audio director on Digital Extreme’s free to play online third-person shooter. All of a sudden, a shooting game is a music game too – a music game in which you create your own soundtrack, then use it as a weapon. The game’s Octavia’s Anthem update, which adds essentially a bard class to the game, is out today and very different to anything they’ve done with it before.

He’s been showing me the latest of the game’s titular Warframes (biomechanical suits that players can switch between in order to access a growing range of abilities) and though Octavia, as it/she is known, retains the shoot’n’stab combat that is the game’s essence, she also introduces music-making to the game. The ever-dancing Octavia uses music to kill – but first the player has to create that music.

In order to achieve this, Warframe update 20 [official site], aka Octavia’s Anthem, introduces a bespoke sequencer tool along with Octavia herself. Both can be unlocked for free by playing through a new questline, or you can pay to shortcut straight to unlocking her if so you choose. As you can see, Octavia’s always dancing (“we mo-capped a dancer on the team”) which gives her an immediate charisma advantage over every preceding Warframe:

To dance, she needs music, naturally. This music is, for each player, a bespoke combination of percussion, bass and melody, each of which is tied to Octavia’s powers and has different effects upon the game. Percussion augments damage, the bassline creates a Pied Piper effect which enemies will follow so you can thin the herd, and melody element conjures buffs for you and your team.

As you play, your music plays – and so too does a visual representation of it, in psychedelic shapes generated around you that look, for all the world, like Winamp vizualisers made 3D and transposed into a sci-fi environment. It’s a pleasantly surreal visual remix of a game that can otherwise be quite a muted affair.

While to some extent using this stuff is a familiar combo of passive and hotbar skills, there is a far more active element you can choose to deploy. You can, for instance, crouch rhythmically in time with the melody as you move, which, if pulled off correctly, will drop you into invisi-stealth mode. Or you can trigger melee attacks in time with the percussion to boost damage.

Of course, if you’re going to be doing such things, you’ll want to be doing it to a song that makes you feel good. And that onus is entirely on you.

“Not only is [Octavia] a cool frame, you can use also use the composition tool,” Spanos tells me, describing it as “another game within the game.” Though apparently complex at first sight, the idea behind the sequencer is that it’s entirely straightforward for those who don’t know music theory to use, whereas those who do dig in deep can wring far more out of it. “It’s very intuitive,” claims Spanos. Here’s a look at how creating percussion works:

And here’s the same track with other layers added onto it:

The key signature and tempo is fixed, which in theory prevents even the most tone-deaf player from creating something truly horrific, while there’s also a maximum of 16 beats per bar (raised to 24 for the percussion element), so audio trolls can’t make everyone else’s game nightmarish by spamming everything all at once. Because, yes, co-op players will hear – and be aided by – your music. If there are multiple Octavias, the idea is their songs will naturally complement each other, rather than become discordant, so your team gets its own unique – and listenable – soundtrack.

Here’s what the track we saw being created above looks and sounds like when Octavia’s using it in-game:

Definitely adds a rythmic feel to the combat, and I dig the Winampy effects the little robo-buddy chucks out.

The track there is fairly dancy as you can hear, but the type of music you can make is defined by what genre packs you own. One, orchestral (“we went to a local art school and got the students to play the parts, recording strings, brass, woodwind…”) is provided with the Warframe/sequencer pack, but others, including the likes of rock and EDM, need to be bought with in-game currency Platinum. If Octavia and the sequencer prove popular, expect the tool to evolve over time. “That’s the cool thing, we can just keep making packs and expanding on them.”

You can freely mix and match packs within a song, by the way – at one point I’m played a creation that pairs orchestral instruments with Japanese Taiko drums (themselves something of a signature sound for Warframe, I’m told). Hopefully those who know what they’re doing can really burrow in and come up with distinctive tracks of their own, while philistines like me cobble a basic beat together and go have fun.

Tracks can be freely traded and shared by players, though there’s a five song limit on how many players can store at any given time. Expect recreations of pop songs to spread like wildfire, though the fixed key and tempo obviously places restrictions on making exact remakes. For instance, “you could replicate Star Wars, more or less. It’s in a D minor pentatonic, so you can look up on the web what’s possible.”

As for Octavia herself, you gain access to her by completing a new chain of Syndicate quests in the game. Syndicates are six neutral factions in the Warframe universe, and the devs have been gradually giving each of them their own questline over time, which generally gifts you with a new Waframe at the end of it.

The new chain this time around is handed out by Cephalon Suda, an apparently emotionless AI with a vaguely Tronish light cube motif and with a particular interest in humanity. Apparently Suda’s quests “touch on really human themes,” and are particularly interested in the question of why an AI would be at all interested in music – probably some clues there to the origins of the Octavia Warframe, I imagine.

Syndicate quests have apparently been particularly well-received by those players who enjoy Warframe’s lore as well as its action, so this update seems to be an important triple-threat addition for the game – new Warframe, new story and entirely new mechanics. How, how quickly can someone knock up a passable rendition of Suspicious Minds for me to kill dudes in time to?

Warframe update 20: Octavia’s Anthem is out today. The game and the bulk of the update is free to play, but you can pay for add-ons if you so wish.

Correction: This article originally stated that tracks would be sellable, which is no longer the case – they are freely shareable.

From this site

1. Eraysor says:

This sounds incredibly cool. I always wanted to play the Bard April Fool’s class for World of Warcraft.

2. BaronKreight says:

They still market this as ninjas in space?

3. Daymare says:

How’s the game today? I played for a couple of hours a few years ago and found the shooting boring, the environments repetitive and in general it seemed an absolute hell to get anything without money, so I stopped soon after realizing that.

Is it easier to farm, are those questlines doable in say, 1-2 weeks? Or do you have to farm for months to get some random item from a boss or something?

• Daymare says:

Qualifier: I started playing mostly because it was advertised as a sort of sci-fi Diablo FPS with ninjas, which sounded awesome. I also play League of Legends and Path of Exile (both F2P) and like the “gameplay” so much I play both regardless of grinds.

I’ve followed Wf’s development for a bit though and it seems a lot has changed during the last 1-2 years.

oggnogg says:

I, too, stopped playing a after a dozen or so hours. Then I tried it again after a year or so and got hooked :) You need to like learning how mechanics work, what ability combinations are effective, etc.

And yes, the game has changed a lot. Which is both its strength and kind of weakness: It has lots of different systems, activities, and smaller goals which you can dedicate time to. But some of it may feel a bit unfinished or is just badly explained.

But I like it this way: This game gets updates every other week, the developers are not afraid to try new things, and if something gets broken (which does happen, but is almost never progression-stopping or game-breaking, more like annoying) then it’s usually fixed within a a day or two.

All in all this game feels like it’s being actively developed, and more so than just releasing a DLC every few months.

oggnogg says:

> environments repetitive
      The environment is generated procedurally from “tile sets”. But some of the tile sets have gotten reworked and newer ones were added, too. I especially enjoy the newer high level ones set on a broken moon and inside a dark steely fortress setting.

> hell to get anything without money
      The new player experience is still a bit tough if you’re doing it alone. This is being worked on, but has much room for improvement. I’d suggest trying to do stuff with random groups but ask for help in chat to get a group. Or to find someone to “taxi” you to locations still locked for you so you get desired resources easier. Also there’s a huge active discord server where you can find people to trade, group up, and generally ask for help.

> Is it easier to farm
      Some things have gotten easier, but others still require what may be called “grind”. But then again this is a game of repeating mission types, to get and level a few hundred weapons. So I’d try to combine goals: Like level new equipment while farming, this way you at least make progress on levelling even if you don’t get the desired loot drop.

> questlines doable in say, 1-2 weeks
      Not sure. I guess probably not because you need to unlock stuff / meet level or progression requirements for some quests to start. The quests themselves aren’t huge — this is not an MMO.

> farm for months to get some random item from a boss
      I don’t think this was ever the case. For almost anything there’s a kind of optimal way to do it if you’re in a hurry. Just check the wiki or ask around. I never farmed the same mission more than 10 or 20 times to get an item or part. And most of the time (especially with the new void system) you’ll get prime parts within a few runs — I think the statistical average is 8 runs with a team where each player brings the same relic.

• Daymare says:

Thanks, appreciate the tips! Especially like that tiles got reworked, seems like a good improvement.

I’d rather play with others than do it alone anyway, so sure, I’d try and group.

Some farming is fine (I enjoy knowing I worked for my stuff, I was more worried about it being absolutely endless). So, if the general gameplay loop is rewarding enough on its own, then I’m okay with the rest.

• haldolium says:

The farming is still very intense in Warframe, but it’s been spread out over many different goals you can (and must) set for yourself. There also have been many changes at how you aquire certain things, so it isn’t only farm boss X for Y over and over again.

It still can get boring if you’re doing it alone, but since the game itself is rather fun it does work nice enough doing it with other people.

• bee says:

Most of the resources can be farmed reasonably (excepting the warframe parts and prime parts). I’d guess roughly 25% of the items require unreasonable amounts of farming though. Kuva and Cryotic come to mind as the worst offenders of farming grind.

• Blackfish says:

You’re not alone there. Warframe is pretty bad at presenting its full potential to new players. I have a bunch of Steam friends who’ve played the game and most of them have only a couple of hours at most.

Warframe is one of those “F2P” games that’s better if you drop some money (like $12-20-ish) on it . The very early game is frustrating and full of noob traps otherwise. You can play it completely free, but then it takes significantly longer to open up.

That said, I actually do really like Warframe.

4. int says:

Sounds cleffing awesome. I should go Bach to Warframe.

Don Reba says:

Tried it, and quite like it so far. Reminds me of that Phantasy Star Online I’ve been waiting for the past five years.

Surprisingly good graphics at 4K, 60 FPS, using GTX 960.

Comment on this story