Quake Champions will bunny hop onto Steam too

Quake Champions

I’m eagerly following the progress of free-to-play shooter Quake Champions [official site]. I spent a good year of my life in the browser-based Quake Live bunny hopping, insta-gibbing and failing to rocket jump over the smallest of obstacles (seriously, I can’t rocket jump in any game), and had a blast. I haven’t had the chance to play the beta yet but I’ve watched a few streams and the feedback seems to be positive, including from Rick Lane, who was pleasantly surprised with it.

Currently the beta is only available through the Bethesda.net launcher, but Bethesda have now confirmed that it will come to Steam too when it launches properly later this year.

Here’s senior producer Jason Bergman writing in a developer Q&A (which, if you’re interested in the game, is worth a browse because it includes an in-depth discussion of upcoming character and weapon balances):

“Quake Champions will indeed be released on Steam. You will still be required to have a linked Bethesda.net account, but users playing the game from Steam will not go through the Bethesda.net launcher. During the current beta period the game will only be available through the Bethesda.net launcher.”

At the very least, the Steam release should open it up to a wider player base and ensure that there’s enough people in the servers to get a decent game whenever you want.

As a reminder, the game will give you one Quaker for free then charges you virtual cash to rent a bunch of other characters, each of whom plays differently with different stats and abilities. You’ll be able to pay real money to unlock them all at once if you’re so inclined.

Here’s some more of Rick’s thoughts:

“When it all comes together, Quake Champions is an absolute blast, especially in standard deathmatch. It’s a constant, breathless rush of semi-conscious decisions that have an unseen yet vital impact upon your success or failure. That moment when you drop down an elevator shaft and notice an opponent coming the other way, and launch a rocket to greet them. Or when you weave through a storm of machinegun fire to empty both barrels of your shotgun into your opponent at point blank range. Or when you’re attacked from behind and spin around, launching a rail-shot out of pure reflex, and it connects in a shower of beautiful, rapturous gore. All of this, Quake Champions provides in a way that clearly harks back to Quake III, but feels fresh and new and modern.”

You can sign up for a key for the closed beta here. If you’ve played it already, how did you find it?

1. HumpX says:

First Quake game where the machine gun is actually useful.

2. Jerkzilla says:

That must be a really heavy gun to need two AR-15 carry handles.

3. Pizzzahut says:

I’ve been thinking;

Quake: DOA edition
    or
    Quake: Pay To Win edition

Are much better names for this one.

4. OmNomNom says:

I wanted to play this but I just can’t take the bunny hopping seriously these days

5. Unclepauly says:

(Reply to Pizzzahut)

How is it pay to win? I’m not seeing that anywhere?

• Pizzzahut says:

You can buy the Champions. Soon enough they’ll release Champions with substantially better ‘Champion powers’ for purchase.

• Assirra says:

You can just buy the 60 dollar pack and get everything included. Also, the second part is nothing but baseless assumptions.

• Jalan says:

Though I don’t personally care for the game, I have to agree with this. Calling it a “pay to win” is just making an obnoxious assumption about it, much less taking the time to realize that every champ they’ve put in it thus far (including B.J.) has a solid counter to their abilities.

Now picking apart the other problems it has – perfectly valid at this point. The splash damage from rockets being spectacularly lower than it actually should be, the fact that the game currently leaks memory causing pretty intense lag for even players with “monster” setups, the hit detection issues, and the list goes on.

• terves says:

The rockets are way, way faster than they were in Quake 3/Live, they’re at or near QW speeds. Having less splash damage is not necessarily a bad thing since it’s so much easier to get direct hits.

• Pizzzahut says:

Right… so it’s a PTW title.

• PiiSmith says:

According to this definition pretty much every Free to Play title is “pay to win”. League of Legends,…

6. Kowie says:

Sigh i wish Epic would do this with their Unreal Tournament they are currently working on instead of hiding it way behind their own front end.

UT(Battle Field) > Quake(COD)

:P.

7. zeep says:

From an avid old Quake 1,2 and 3 player, Quake Champions is great fun. The physics are spot on (!!!) and the new special abilities add new depth to the gameplay.

The only BIG problem in the beta is that you’re constantly matchmaking=waiting to get in a game, then play for 5 minutes, after which you’re thrown back in the menu and can start the waiting over again.

The scary thing about this horrible matchmaking is that the new generation of players don’t seem to have a problem with it.
    Dude i’m old, i need a server browser and make my own choices in life.

MajorLag says:

New generation of players doesn’t seem to have a problem with lots of things. Grind, always on-line requirements, incomplete games being released and patched up to playable later, complete lack of depth…

But you know what? We put up with a lot of similar bull back when we were kids too. I remember playing a lot of Ljn games back in the day man. You got lured in by the box art at the rental store and then that was all you had to play for the week so you just sucked it up and played it. I remember we used to create our own meta-game around the game when it was particularly bad, just to avoid going outside. I also remember spending ludicrous amounts of time leveling characters in FFVII. You had a whole lot of time as a kid and you were much more ok with wasting it, I guess.

It’s only later in life, when you’ve played hundreds of same-y games, have a lot less free time, and have much more purchasing freedom, that you cultivate an appreciation for non-bull****.

• PiiSmith says:

Sometimes (or often as I hear from some people) the game will run like shit and you see player warping around and hitting them is a roll of the die.
      I agree, that searching for a match takes way too long. I think I am average, so there should be reasonable number of people (e.g. more than 7 others) to fill a match. That I have to wait for several minutes seems strange.

Comment on this story