Gwent introduces Thronebreaker story campaign

The singleplayer campaign of a free-to-play collectible card game is an unlikely item of interest, given that they’re largely there to train players up for competitive play, but I am quite keen to see what’s up with the story in Gwent [official site]. The campaign in the spin-off standalone version of The Witcher 3’s fun minigame has folks who did heavy lifting on TW3’s story, see. The hot Gwent news out of Gamescom is the unveiling of that campaign, named Thronebreaker. Here, have a look:

CD Projekt Red may be done with The Witcher as an RPG but several folks from 3 are chipping in on Thronebreaker. The Witcher 3’s lead quest designer Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz is on Gwent, as is Karolina Stachyra, who’s contributions included writing the famed Bloody Baron quest line. Good stuff.

Here’s what Thronebreaker is all about:

“Thronebreaker spins a truly regal tale of Meve — a war-veteran queen of two Northern Realms. Facing an imminent foreign invasion, Meve is forced to once again enter the warpath, and sets out on a dark journey of destruction and revenge. Cast with rich, multi-dimensional characters and choice-driven, your decisions will shape the lives of Meve and her kingdom.

“Explore new and never before seen parts of The Witcher world using an interactive map handcrafted specially for Gwent. Embark on thought-provoking side quests and engage in custom-made story battles, which twist the game’s rules in wildly unexpected ways. Manage resources, recruit and develop units, and build an army in your very own, customizable battle camp.

“Thronebreaker features cards crafted exclusively for use in the single player campaign, each one uniquely tailored for storytelling purposes.

“When the story ends, take a piece of it with you into online battles, with 20 new, Thronebreaker-inspired cards for your multiplayer collection.”

Having special cards and rule-bending for singleplayer sounds good. Trying to balance across solo and competitive play has been the downfall of many a game.

Gwent is currently in open beta through GOG’s Galaxy client, focused on the competitive side. Thronebreaker is due to launch later this year.

Aerothorn says:

I recall (can’t find the source) that when originally pitching Gwent, the lead designer promised that the majority of cards would be acquirable for free in these campaigns, and the random-loot-card things would just be on-the-side/a minority.

Then he left and there hasn’t been a peep about that since. So…I’m starting to worry.

Ninja Dodo says:

Neat. I stopped playing the beta because I realized I don’t enjoy relearning the rules every time there’s a patch but I look forward to playing it when the full game is out.

3. RedViv says:

Execute or knight that random Witcher who helped win the bridge of the Yaruga. Hmm.

phuzz says:

Knight him (even though he was already wandering around calling himself Gerald of Rivia, hmmm….), then have him executed! You’re a queen, you can do what you like :)

I am legitimately excited for this SP content, I’d even consider paying for it.

4. Tom Hadas says:

Meve is actually the queen of Rivia, and in the books she knights Geralt, which makes his made-up name “Geralt of Rivia” technically true thanks to her. :p

She’s actually a pretty cool character in the lore, so this looks really interesting!

5. malkav11 says:

The idea that singleplayer content for card games is there strictly to train people into multiplayer may be how some of these games implement it but it absolutely shouldn’t be, any more than RTS singleplayer campaigns should be. I don’t want to play against other players, and I don’t need to be trained to do so. I want a meaty, interesting whack of singleplayer content aimed at people who want to play a card game by themselves. Hopefully Gwent will deliver that. But if not, there’s always Hex.

6. Darkmessage says:

Taken from pcgamesn.com:

Szamalek also says that Gwent’s story campaign will be about 10-15 hours long. “It’s a pretty long story, and I think text-wise, it’s the size of [The Witcher 3’s DLC] Hearts of Stone. It’s a robust story, it’s not just a card game with some text tacked onto it, it’s a huge story with the card game element.

So it seems it’s gonna be a pretty nice singleplayer campaign.

7. zephram says:

I completely agree with malkav11,single player used to be the norm,now it’s often treated as an extended tutorial for multiplayer. I’ve never enjoyed MP as it tends to be a shallow kill or be killed experience, and whether I win or lose I feel bad for myself or my opponent.

8. LTK says:

After binging on the Witcher books recently, Queen Meve immediately came to mind when I saw that trailer. She played only a tiny role in the books, but I’ll be damned if she didn’t make an impression. I’m actually excited about this now!

Comment on this story